PDA

View Full Version : $40 a pack for cigs in Australia

gabosaurus
11-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Cigarettes currently run about $26 a pack in Australia. A new tax plan would gradually raise the cost to $40 a pack.
What an awesome plan. The U.S. should do the same.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bill-shorten-to-confirm-labor-plan-to-increase-tobacco-taxes-20151123-gl5nuh.html

Gunny
11-23-2015, 01:42 PM
Cigarettes currently run about $26 a pack in Australia. A new tax plan would gradually raise the cost to $40 a pack.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bill-shorten-to-confirm-labor-plan-to-increase-tobacco-taxes-20151123-gl5nuh.html

You think? I think they should charge Dems $40 a day just for being leftwingnuts.

Perianne
11-23-2015, 01:59 PM

I think increasing taxes for any reason is a leftist orgasm and a conservative nightmare.

jimnyc
11-23-2015, 02:02 PM
You think? I think they should charge Dems $40 a day just for being leftwingnuts.

And when they can no longer afford it, send them out to international waters on their rafts. Only a matter of months before America is great again! :laugh:

Trigg
11-23-2015, 02:59 PM

This won't be allowed to happen in the US, it would dis proportionally hurt poor, less educated minorities. :poke:

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/resources/data/cigarette-smoking-in-united-states.html

By Race/Ethnicity3 (http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/resources/data/cigarette-smoking-in-united-states.html#three)
<tbody>
Race/Ethnicity
Prevalence

American Indian/Alaska Natives (non-Hispanic)
26.1%

Asians (non-Hispanic)
9.6%

Blacks (non-Hispanic)
18.3%

Hispanics
12.1%

Multiple Races (non-Hispanic)
26.8%

Whites (non-Hispanic)
19.4%

</tbody>

By Poverty Status3 (http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/resources/data/cigarette-smoking-in-united-states.html#three)
<tbody>
Income Status
Prevalence

Below poverty level
29.2%

At or above poverty level
16.2%

</tbody>

jimnyc
11-23-2015, 03:02 PM
This won't be allowed to happen in the US, it would dis proportionally hurt poor, less educated minorities. :poke:

:lol::lol: :coffee:

Noir
11-23-2015, 03:34 PM
But how are the poor expected to be able to afford cancer without cigarettes?

Black Diamond
11-23-2015, 03:37 PM
And when they can no longer afford it, send them out to international waters on their rafts. Only a matter of months before America is great again! :laugh:

Are you wearing that hat right now? :cool:

jimnyc
11-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Are you wearing that hat right now? :cool:

Much too early!! That would be like the guy who got the Romney tattoo!! Well, maybe not that bad. :) But you have to admit, if all of the liberals magically drifted away, the nation would likely improve. I'm not calling for genocide or nuttin like that, just wishful thinking. :laugh:

Black Diamond
11-23-2015, 03:58 PM
Much too early!! That would be like the guy who got the Romney tattoo!! Well, maybe not that bad. :) But you have to admit, if all of the liberals magically drifted away, the nation would likely improve. I'm not calling for genocide or nuttin like that, just wishful thinking. :laugh:

Oh totally agree. Get rid of those who want America destroyed.

Perianne
11-23-2015, 05:30 PM

And thus I hold my nose and support abortion for all liberals.

Jeff
11-24-2015, 08:06 AM

They could always suck on the tail pipe of their car. :laugh:

Jeff
11-24-2015, 08:07 AM
And thus I hold my nose and support abortion for all liberals.

No term limit either, hell if your 45 and a liberal, Abort him/her. :laugh::laugh:

DragonStryk72
11-24-2015, 03:52 PM

And look as it hasn't stopped anyone from smoking. It has however.paid for some more politicians.

I mean, really, they could just make it illegal if they really were looking out for the health of their people, but they're not. They're making entirely too much money off of tobacco taxes for that to be a thing they'd do.

That's the issue with the sin taxes, is that really, they're "we know you won't stop doing this, so we'll use it to squeeze you without having to actually tax the poor"

Oh, and this IS who these taxes destroy, btw. The rich will never care, but the poor are both addicted, and strapped for cash, so they'll just get the shaft.

gabosaurus
11-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Smoking is more hazardous to your health and more addicting than pot. Yet it is pot that is illegal. Due in large part to the tobacco lobby.
I am against banning tobacco products. But tobacco users should be denied health care insurance. It would bring cost downs.

DragonStryk72
11-24-2015, 04:37 PM
Smoking is more hazardous to your health and more addicting than pot. Yet it is pot that is illegal. Due in large part to the tobacco lobby.
I am against banning tobacco products. But tobacco users should be denied health care insurance. It would bring cost downs.

Actually, it would raise it thru the roof. Remember, they HAVE to take you at the ER, whether you have money or not. So every single smoker in the country would have to go there for any medical issues

Oh, and because of the ACA, you want to bankrupt them completely, and jail them for tax evasion. I mean remember? Health insurance is MANDATORY in the US. If you get denied, then you're a criminal.

Moreover... WOW is that non-humanitarian of you. That's really the kind of response I would expect out of Tyr in reference to Muslims.

Perianne
11-24-2015, 04:38 PM

Yes, and let's ban health insurance for fat people, people who like sugar a bit too much, drug addicts, mentally challenged people, and the like. And ugly people. Ugly people get beat up more than regular people, so their health costs are higher.

Trigg
12-02-2015, 03:19 PM

So you're in favor of denying healthcare to poor minorities.......careful they'll take away your dem card.

Next you'll be in favor of showing your ID at voting booths.

Jeff
12-02-2015, 05:02 PM

Dam that's a great Idea for a back piece, on top Join the Trump Train, than a picture of a train, and if he loses than I can have tattooed on the bottom " Take the train out of what use to be the greatest country on earth ".

Jeff
12-02-2015, 05:09 PM

Sure it would but then do we not allow people that ride motorcycles to have insurance, or how about those that ride the mountain bikes, hell for that matter how about we take insurance from those living on the west coast, hell the smog that sits over LA can't be no better for ya than smoking.

As for your theory on why pot is illegal :laugh::laugh::laugh: if they could figure out how to tax it now after screaming how addictive and how it leads to much stronger drugs for all these years you would walk into any 7-11 and get a half anytime you wanted. Gabs think about it this way, people that smoke cigarettes aren't worried about smoking, don't ya think a good many of them also would like to buy pot legally, if you smoke a joint that won't stop you from wanting a cigarette.

Drummond
12-02-2015, 07:13 PM

... AND ... consider our NHS, Noir. Where would Leftie demands for ever-greater investment in it be, if far fewer patients turned up for needed treatment ?