PDA

View Full Version : Pissing off my neighbors again

glockmail
11-27-2015, 08:47 AM
I live in a neighborhood with 50 homes for the last 19 years. As with as any group there is always personal conflicts. We have a forum for notices and complaints, and one about leaving trash cans in view has turned into a tirade about my front yard vegetable garden.

Of course, the two people complaining I have a history with. And of course, there's nothing in the ordinance about having 4 pepper plants and 4 eggplants in your front yard behind four large trees.

The biggest complainer has posted sarcastic remarks which I of course have turned around an accepted as complimentary. It's been an enjoyable Thanksgiving. :)

fj1200
11-27-2015, 10:24 AM
We have a forum for notices and complaints...

Is it called Nextdoor(insert neighborhood name here)? We have that.

jimnyc
11-27-2015, 10:28 AM
I live in a neighborhood with 50 homes for the last 19 years. As with as any group there is always personal conflicts. We have a forum for notices and complaints, and one about leaving trash cans in view has turned into a tirade about my front yard vegetable garden.

Of course, the two people complaining I have a history with. And of course, there's nothing in the ordinance about having 4 pepper plants and 4 eggplants in your front yard behind four large trees.

The biggest complainer has posted sarcastic remarks which I of course have turned around an accepted as complimentary. It's been an enjoyable Thanksgiving. :)

Trim your bushes and trees

https://adlestrop.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/topiary_finger.jpg

glockmail
11-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Yes, next-door. Nice pic Jim, I think I'll post it to my neighbors.

Gunny
11-27-2015, 04:42 PM

Tell them to f*ck off. You do it to everyone else. :laugh:

glockmail
11-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Tell them to f*ck off. You do it to everyone else. :laugh:

I'm more diplomatic than that. I asked him to call me with advice on his front yard garden.

glockmail
11-30-2015, 08:59 AM
Here's the text, names changed:

I hope all are doing well and looking forward to the upcoming holiday season. Lately there have been multiple concerns brought to the attention of the HOA about Garbage/Recycling Cans being left out where they are visible from the road as well as left on the road for multiple days after garbage/recycling is picked up by Waste Management. Below is the Article, Section and Paragraph that covers storage of Garbage/Recycling cans:
On Page 12, Article V, Section 2, Paragraph (g) Screening, states:
“Each Owner shall provide receptacles for garbage, and all garbage receptacles, tools and equipment for use on the Lot of any Owner or otherwise shall be placed in a fenced area in accordance with reasonable standards established by the Committee to shield same from general visibility from roads and lakes abutting the Lots.”
The HOA realizes that not everyone has a fenced in area to store these receptacles. We do not expect the residents to build a fenced in containment area. All we ask, is that you retrieve your Garbage/Recycling Cans in a reasonable amount of time and store them in a place that is not visible from the road. Thank you for your understanding and consideration for your neighbors.
Charlie

Now the bitching:

Really? We don't leave our trash cans out on the road but if this is the kind of nonsense being posted to this site - I think we may have to delete the link. There are many annoyances in a neighbourhood but this seems like a rather trivial matter to post to all the email we all get in a day.
Linda

It's not trivial at all. Utilities visible from the street, and that includes trash cans, degrade the value of our homes.
Glockmail

Now it gets interesting...

This is Lisa's husband...I deleted my link long ago because it seems like TMZ on here. Chance as a board member has to report these things if they have been reported to him. I'm sure he'd rather be doing something else but it's his responsibility. I personally haven't noticed this as an issue but it was brought up. Landscaping, how people plant trees, trash cans, vegetable gardens in the front yard...all can fall under this issue. I think our neighborhood looks great overall...let's keep it that way. And thanks again Charlie.
Lisa's Husband

[Background on Lisa: Two years ago I asked her to bring her barking dog into the house after hearing it for two hours. She told me it was not barking. "OK...." I said and left.]

Now growing vegetables is a problem?
Glockmail

I don't think people have a problem with the messenger as much as the message. That is, they were merely trying to point out that the general intolerance, pettiness, and lack of neighborliness is off-putting. What's worse, it seems ongoing and in some ways, encouraged. Growing vegetables in the FRONT yard is a problem. We don't live on farms. That said, I don't complain about it or ask Charlie to take up that cause. Small-mindedness is a bore.
Brett

I just checked the ordinance. No problem with a small front yard garden.
Glockmail

Well, as long as there's no ordinance, I guess that means no one should find it offensive or tacky.
Brett

And again, 20 minutes later:
And maybe I should grow a vegetable garden next summer in my front yard. I'm sure all my neighbors will find me very thougthful [sic] of their property value.
Brett

That's awesome Brett. Urban organic gardens are the newest chic. Peppers and eggplant grow great in our climate. No till, dig a 3 gallon size hole and fill with bag soil and compost. Three of each 2 feet apart and you'll have more than you and Debbie can eat! Our neighbors love our giveaways.
Glockmail

Yes, and it is sure improve the value of your neighbor's houses. I've heard that is the first thing on a realtor's list -- be certain to look for vegetable gardens in the front yard.
Brett

Call me Brett, if you want more advice on what to plant.
Glockmail

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gunny
11-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Here's the text, names changed:

I hope all are doing well and looking forward to the upcoming holiday season. Lately there have been multiple concerns brought to the attention of the HOA about Garbage/Recycling Cans being left out where they are visible from the road as well as left on the road for multiple days after garbage/recycling is picked up by Waste Management. Below is the Article, Section and Paragraph that covers storage of Garbage/Recycling cans:
On Page 12, Article V, Section 2, Paragraph (g) Screening, states:
“Each Owner shall provide receptacles for garbage, and all garbage receptacles, tools and equipment for use on the Lot of any Owner or otherwise shall be placed in a fenced area in accordance with reasonable standards established by the Committee to shield same from general visibility from roads and lakes abutting the Lots.”
The HOA realizes that not everyone has a fenced in area to store these receptacles. We do not expect the residents to build a fenced in containment area. All we ask, is that you retrieve your Garbage/Recycling Cans in a reasonable amount of time and store them in a place that is not visible from the road. Thank you for your understanding and consideration for your neighbors.
Charlie

Now the bitching:

Really? We don't leave our trash cans out on the road but if this is the kind of nonsense being posted to this site - I think we may have to delete the link. There are many annoyances in a neighbourhood but this seems like a rather trivial matter to post to all the email we all get in a day.
Linda

It's not trivial at all. Utilities visible from the street, and that includes trash cans, degrade the value of our homes.
Glockmail

Now it gets interesting...

This is Lisa's husband...I deleted my link long ago because it seems like TMZ on here. Chance as a board member has to report these things if they have been reported to him. I'm sure he'd rather be doing something else but it's his responsibility. I personally haven't noticed this as an issue but it was brought up. Landscaping, how people plant trees, trash cans, vegetable gardens in the front yard...all can fall under this issue. I think our neighborhood looks great overall...let's keep it that way. And thanks again Charlie.
Lisa's Husband

[Background on Lisa: Two years ago I asked her to bring her barking dog into the house after hearing it for two hours. She told me it was not barking. "OK...." I said and left.]

Now growing vegetables is a problem?
Glockmail

I don't think people have a problem with the messenger as much as the message. That is, they were merely trying to point out that the general intolerance, pettiness, and lack of neighborliness is off-putting. What's worse, it seems ongoing and in some ways, encouraged. Growing vegetables in the FRONT yard is a problem. We don't live on farms. That said, I don't complain about it or ask Charlie to take up that cause. Small-mindedness is a bore.
Brett

I just checked the ordinance. No problem with a small front yard garden.
Glockmail

Well, as long as there's no ordinance, I guess that means no one should find it offensive or tacky.
Brett

And again, 20 minutes later:
And maybe I should grow a vegetable garden next summer in my front yard. I'm sure all my neighbors will find me very thougthful [sic] of their property value.
Brett

That's awesome Brett. Urban organic gardens are the newest chic. Peppers and eggplant grow great in our climate. No till, dig a 3 gallon size hole and fill with bag soil and compost. Three of each 2 feet apart and you'll have more than you and Debbie can eat! Our neighbors love our giveaways.
Glockmail

Yes, and it is sure improve the value of your neighbor's houses. I've heard that is the first thing on a realtor's list -- be certain to look for vegetable gardens in the front yard.
Brett

Call me Brett, if you want more advice on what to plant.
Glockmail

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Don't you live in one of the Carolina's? And someone's bitching about a garden?:rolleyes: GMAFB. Tell 'em they're lucky you don't have a still.

Bilgerat
11-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Put out some of these :laugh:

http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/Entertainment/ht_shaun_thorsson_gnomes_5_ll_121002_ms.jpg

http://cdn.hiconsumption.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Combat-Garden-Gnomes.jpg

glockmail
11-30-2015, 01:53 PM
Don't you live in one of the Carolina's? And someone's bitching about a garden?:rolleyes: GMAFB. Tell 'em they're lucky you don't have a still.
Yes, The Great North State. I haven't thought of a still, but I do have a woodshed, which, by the way, was another neighborhood controversy.

Brett's wife, Debbie, was pissed off at me because I nix'd her big plans to make expensive "improvements" to the common areas. To approve that crap required a 60% majority, and I rallied enough neighbors to defeat it. So when she learned I put an application in for approval of a wood shed, she had the then president of the HOA, an attorney, turn it down. The little prick waited 29 days out of the allowable 30 put his response in my mailbox. Idiot should have hand delivered it. I waited 31 then built it anyway.

Lawyer prick then called me and had me on his speakerphone. I knew Debbie was in his office. I told him that I never received his letter, so the approval is therefore automatic. He told me that it was my responsibility to follow-up with him to make sure that he had not sent a response, and my response to that was pure laughter. I told him that he just made that shit up, which of course he did. His refusal was based on his finding that the shed was a "fuel tank", and therefore had to be screened. I asked him if a stack of wood would also be considered a fuel tank, and he said no. So I explained to him that since the shed was made out of materials similar to what is in the woods behind it and the wood itself, that was the screen. He said he wouldn't approve that approach and I told him, "too bad, because by not responding to my application in time you approved it anyway." I could here Debby's muffled screams in the background...

The end result: picture of the shed from the back of my driveway, which is about 80' from the street; you can barely see it. The second photo is a close up.

Perianne
11-30-2015, 02:00 PM
glockmail, your HOA sounds like it has a bunch of poopoo heads.

glockmail
11-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Most of the folks are cool, but we have our share of shitbums, just like any other random group of people.

I've done door-to-door volunteer work in the past, not in this neighborhood but where I used to live, and you would be amazed at how odd some folks are.

And very few like to be told that they are doing something wrong, no matter how you approach the issue. The usual response is to deny that they did it. "Lisa", the gal with the barking dog, just simply denied that her dog was barking, even though I could hear it in the backyard while standing at her front door.

Recently I rolled into a church parking lot, which has an unfortunate parking lot that is severely sloped, and striped so that everyone is pointing downhill. I was still in my car, preparing to open the door when a car parked to my left. The woman opened the door and let gravity do it's thing, and hit my door with enough force to rock the car on its suspension. I had to re-start the car so I could roll my window down (I couldn't get out of the car because her door was still resting on mine). I asked her why she did that, and she said "I didn't do that." I was like, WTF, if this doesn't meet the definition of smoking gun, then what does? Incredibly there was no damage.

Gunny
11-30-2015, 04:55 PM
Most of the folks are cool, but we have our share of shitbums, just like any other random group of people.

I've done door-to-door volunteer work in the past, not in this neighborhood but where I used to live, and you would be amazed at how odd some folks are.

And very few like to be told that they are doing something wrong, no matter how you approach the issue. The usual response is to deny that they did it. "Lisa", the gal with the barking dog, just simply denied that her dog was barking, even though I could hear it in the backyard while standing at her front door.

Recently I rolled into a church parking lot, which has an unfortunate parking lot that is severely sloped, and striped so that everyone is pointing downhill. I was still in my car, preparing to open the door when a car parked to my left. The woman opened the door and let gravity do it's thing, and hit my door with enough force to rock the car on its suspension. I had to re-start the car so I could roll my window down (I couldn't get out of the car because her door was still resting on mine). I asked her why she did that, and she said "I didn't do that." I was like, WTF, if this doesn't meet the definition of smoking gun, then what does? Incredibly there was no damage.

My dog doesn't bark. :wtf::omg::rofl1: