PDA

View Full Version : Student "safe places"

Trigg
11-30-2015, 02:31 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/12022041/How-political-correctness-rules-in-Americas-student-safe-spaces.html

At Brown University – like Harvard, one of the eight elite Ivy League universities – theNew York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/opinion/sunday/judith-shulevitz-hiding-from-scary-ideas.html?_r=0) reported students set up a “safe space” that offered calming music, cookies, Play-Doh and a video of frolicking puppies to help students cope with a discussion on how colleges should handle sexual assault.
A Harvard student described in theuniversity newspaper (http://http//www.thecrimson.com/column/the-happiness-here/article/2015/4/1/supposed-security-safe-space/)attending a “safe space” complete with “massage circles” that was designed to help students have open conversations.
This hesitancy to engage in the dialogue of debate – and, in its most extreme form, the sense that hearing opposing opinions can cause damage to the psyche – has seeped from the campus to the classroom.

I've asked my kids about this new idea that college kids need to be free of controversy and need these "safe zones". My son, who attends a predominantly engineering school, simply says they're to busy with hard classes to whine about this stuff. My daughter attends a more liberal college, but we're in Indiana so this isn't going on at her school either.

Personally I think these kids have been mollycoddled their entire lives by parents with more money than sense and in the absence of real racism in their lives now need to look for "micro aggressions" or "trigger words" in order to have something to complain about.

Trigg
11-30-2015, 02:48 PM
A chapel sermon on love left a student at Oklahoma Wesleyan University feeling “offended” and “victimized.”
But instead of capitulating to the offended young scholar, OWU President Everett Piper pushed back with a blistering rebuke of what he called “self-absorbed and narcissistic” students.

The student felt offended because the “homily on love made him feel bad for not showing love,” he explained. “In his mind, the speaker was wrong for making him, and his peers, feel uncomfortable.”
Dr. Piper offered some wise advice for the young man.
“If you want the chaplain to tell you you’re a victim rather than tell you that you need virtue, this may not be the university you’re looking for,” he wrote. “If you want to complain about a sermon that makes you feel less than loving for not showing love, this might be the wrong place.”

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/11/30/university-president-rebukes-self-absorbed-narcissistic-students.html?intcmp=hpbt4

I dare say these are the same kids who's parents praised them for their participation ribbons in little league. :lame2:

Bilgerat
11-30-2015, 03:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U

glockmail
11-30-2015, 03:45 PM
My how things have changed. When I was in college we went out of our way to offend people. I had an acquaintance who wrote a comic strip in the university paper, and he was always soliciting us for ideas. The response letters were priceless: "I am deeply offended by the latest..." :laugh:

Gunny
11-30-2015, 06:01 PM
My how things have changed. When I was in college we went out of our way to offend people. I had an acquaintance who wrote a comic strip in the university paper, and he was always soliciting us for ideas. The response letters were priceless: "I am deeply offended by the latest..." :laugh:

My "college" was called Marine Corp Recruit Depot. We didn't have to worry a whole lot about what to think. If we were supposed to think, they'd be sure and tell us how. :drillsarge:

Bilgerat
11-30-2015, 07:15 PM
My "college" was called Marine Corp Recruit Depot. We didn't have to worry a whole lot about what to think. If we were supposed to think, they'd be sure and tell us how. :drillsarge:

Seems to me that's how it went at Cape May too :salute:

gabosaurus
11-30-2015, 08:25 PM

It is only natural that Marine lifers become conservatives. In both instances, you get used to someone telling you how to think.

Anyone who doesn't think college students need "stress free" zones has never been to college. Or else they didn't take it seriously.
A lot of kids go to college so they can drink, party and generally raise hell. They don't care about classes or grades.
If you went to a major university with the intention of obtaining a degree, particularly with good enough grades to enter grad school, you encountered plenty of stress.

Elessar
11-30-2015, 08:28 PM
Seems to me that's how it went at Cape May too :salute:

Got that right Jon!

And I trained recruits there!:salute:

Elessar
11-30-2015, 08:32 PM
It is only natural that Marine lifers become conservatives. In both instances, you get used to someone telling you how to think.

Anyone who doesn't think college students need "stress free" zones has never been to college. Or else they didn't take it seriously.
A lot of kids go to college so they can drink, party and generally raise hell. They don't care about classes or grades.
If you went to a major university with the intention of obtaining a degree, particularly with good enough grades to enter grad school, you encountered plenty of stress.

I went to college....Phys Ed and English major.
The 'stress free zones' were the student center or the gym / pool.
This concept now is so bogus....it just teaches them to isolate
and further act like spoiled spoon pounding brats or racists.

Bilgerat
11-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Anyone who doesn't think college students need "stress free" zones has never been to college.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12289750_938605729563786_2953562489833008592_n.jpg ?oh=78617ac1bbf0309ac1d5aec12bc8c26b&oe=56F59716

Perianne
11-30-2015, 10:45 PM

When I was in college, my stress free zone was going to work after school so that I could save enough money to pay next semester's tuition....and also to eat. I didn't have time to cry about getting my feelings hurt.

The last semester we had clinicals (hands-on nursing practice). I had to arrange special favor and do extra work because I was due to give birth before the semester was over. Broke, working 40+ hours per week, full time college, pregnant.... yeah, I had stress. But I had to suck it up in order to succeed as an adult.

gabosaurus
11-30-2015, 11:26 PM
I went to college....Phys Ed and English major.
The 'stress free zones' were the student center or the gym / pool.
This concept now is so bogus....it just teaches them to isolate
and further act like spoiled spoon pounding brats or racists.

"Stress free zones" are not for use 24/7. They are just places to forget your troubles for a while.
Dorms particularly are very loud. The library is extremely busy. The student center is loud and busy.
Cal-Berkeley had cafes where silence was the general rule. My favorite had bean bag chairs that you could sink into and read/study.
Sometimes isolation is a good thing. Especially during exams.

Bilgerat
12-01-2015, 07:03 AM
​https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12316401_745591575571673_6048942813067042189_n.jpg ?oh=22d60341b6ab52bb85cea1bfb3c65268&oe=56F3E748

CSM
12-01-2015, 07:35 AM
Thank goodness I was able to spend 28 years in the Army. Completely stress free there. LOL!!!

Gunny
12-01-2015, 07:56 AM
Thank goodness I was able to spend 28 years in the Army. Completely stress free there. LOL!!!

Ummm ... yeah. :laugh:

Trigg
12-01-2015, 02:13 PM
"Stress free zones" are not for use 24/7. They are just places to forget your troubles for a while.
Dorms particularly are very loud. The library is extremely busy. The student center is loud and busy.
Cal-Berkeley had cafes where silence was the general rule. My favorite had bean bag chairs that you could sink into and read/study.

That's not what I was talking about in the OP.

Of course college is stressful and the kids need quiet places to unwind and study.

The post was in regards to the students demanding racial safe zones (otherwise known as segregation) and wanting teachers to change their curriculum because of "trigger" words.

Drummond
12-01-2015, 02:55 PM

Here's a suggestion. Could it be that marines become Conservatives ... because the experiences they have, of realities beyond the imaginings of any average Leftie, teach them that Conservative thinking, and Conservative solutions, are the only legitimate form of approach to take in the real world ?

And .. perhaps marines are patriotic, eh, Gabby ? And Lefties, by and large, balk at such levels of patriotism .. ?

Perianne
12-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Here's a suggestion. Could it be that marines become Conservatives ... because the experiences they have, of realities beyond the imaginings of any average Leftie, teach them that Conservative thinking, and Conservative solutions, are the only legitimate form of approach to take in the real world ?

And .. perhaps marines are patriotic, eh, Gabby ? And Lefties, by and large, balk at such levels of patriotism .. ?

And maybe they become Marines because they are conservative? Like all good people are.

Gunny
12-01-2015, 03:43 PM

I was not considered conservative when I joined the Marines, and most first term/ 1 hitch Marines are not especially anything. It's when you stay and see what's going on and the left going further to the left that changes your POV. I loved serving under Reagan an Bush and bit my lip through the Clinton years. If I had to serve under the current Turd in Chief I'd probably be insane. I joined to do a job, not be some dipshit's political pawn.

aboutime
12-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Their parents should stop paying their tuitions, and the safe places will return to the FAMILY basement until the whinners turn 26, when Mommy and Daddy no longer have to pay for their STUPID pills.

Gunny
12-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Their parents should stop paying their tuitions, and the safe places will return to the FAMILY basement until the whinners turn 26, when Mommy and Daddy no longer have to pay for their STUPID pills.

You mean I can look forward to 26? Crap, I was gone at 16 had a job AND finished high school. This whole staying at home until you're 30 crap is ridiculous.

aboutime
12-01-2015, 04:54 PM
You mean I can look forward to 26? Crap, I was gone at 16 had a job AND finished high school. This whole staying at home until you're 30 crap is ridiculous.

Yup! According to the OBAMACARE (unread, you'll know what's in it after you vote for it) bill; parents can keep their little SPOILED...CRYBABIES on their medical insurance until 26.

I wonder if I can adopt all six of my grandchildren, and get them insured on my TRICARE/MEDICARE card????

jimnyc
12-01-2015, 05:14 PM
I think it's retarded. Nothing more than starting kids on the "PC" path. What are they going to do when things get tough in the real world, go and hide somewhere and tell people to stay away from them, that they need a little timeout? And I'm sure if you so much as cock your thumb and finger, that you'll likely get tossed for scaring those who need a safe place. What a bunch of crap. If you can't handle it, stay the fuck home or choose another school. We all know this isn't as much as finding a safe place for one person, but rather telling others what they CAN'T do in certain places.

Black Diamond
12-01-2015, 05:16 PM
I think it's retarded. Nothing more than starting kids on the "PC" path. What are they going to do when things get tough in the real world, go and hide somewhere and tell people to stay away from them, that they need a little timeout? And I'm sure if you so much as cock your thumb and finger, that you'll likely get tossed for scaring those who need a safe place. What a bunch of crap. If you can't handle it, stay the fuck home or choose another school. We all know this isn't as much as finding a safe place for one person, but rather telling others what they CAN'T do in certain places.

Be interesting watching these millennials interact with the "vetted" refugees....

Gunny
12-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Be interesting watching these millennials interact with the "vetted" refugees....

They'll get killed.

jimnyc
12-01-2015, 05:21 PM

Good, send all those that we aren't so sure about, and send them all to the leading liberal colleges. They're all the folks that are yelling that we need to bring them in anyway, let them help them.

aboutime
12-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Wanna know how to shut up those spoiled children who want 'SAFE PLACES'? Make 'em cry, and run to mommy and daddy because their ignorant, spoiled, obnoxious, selfish little empty brains are Wussified.

Perianne
12-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Wanna know how to shut up those spoiled children who want 'SAFE PLACES'? Make 'em cry, and run to mommy and daddy because their ignorant, spoiled, obnoxious, selfish little empty brains are Wussified.

Or put them in situations where REAL life confronts them. Let them grow up.

aboutime
12-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Or put them in situations where REAL life confronts them. Let them grow up.

Sad thing is. NONE OF THEM even have any concept about what REAL LIFE IS. Everything for them is instant, and always there because somebody else pays for it, and pats them on the back when their WITTLE FEELINGS get Hurt. We have a generation of Whinny, Wussified, Idiots being bred to believe SOMEBODY OWES THEM EVERYTHING.

gabosaurus
12-01-2015, 11:10 PM

My parents never had to pay my tuition. I attended college on a full academic scholarship. As did my sister.
We could have never lived in our basement since our house didn't have one.

I am sure aboutime has always paid for his own stupid pills. :cool:

jimnyc
12-02-2015, 02:53 AM
http://i.imgur.com/lSliDDC.jpg

Black Diamond
12-02-2015, 03:02 AM
:salute: to the top photo.

Gunny
12-02-2015, 10:01 AM

First off, I was NOT a "lifer". Need to work on your definitions. Second, NOBODY told me what to think. That's kind of how you get to only Gunny and get out at 21.

Now if you go to college, you are DEFINITELY being told what to think by people just like YOU.

Gunny
12-02-2015, 10:03 AM
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12289750_938605729563786_2953562489833008592_n.jpg ?oh=78617ac1bbf0309ac1d5aec12bc8c26b&oe=56F59716

:laugh: Got to spread it around before I can rep you again.

Gunny
12-02-2015, 10:04 AM

Leftwing ass pussy shit.

Trigg
12-02-2015, 01:12 PM
https://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/12/arrest_made_in_kean_twitter_threat.html

This POS liberal decided there apparently wasn't enough racism at her college, so she made some up.

Twitter threats to black Kean students made by black alum, police say

The first message around 10 p.m. said "kean university twitter against blacks is for everyone who hates blacks people" and a tweet about there being a bomb on the campus, and then continued with several other tweets about shooting black students at the university.

Perianne
12-02-2015, 01:14 PM
https://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/12/arrest_made_in_kean_twitter_threat.html

This POS liberal decided there apparently wasn't enough racism at her college, so she made some up.

Your mouse avatar is so cute! @Trigg (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=113)

Trigg
12-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Your mouse avatar is so cute! @Trigg (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=113)

Thanks!! my son picked it out

Perianne
12-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Thanks!! my son picked it out

He picked out the avatar or the mouse? Is the mouse a pet?

Trigg
12-02-2015, 01:19 PM
He picked out the avatar or the mouse? Is the mouse a pet?

He saw the avatar and thought it was cute.

Abbey Marie
12-03-2015, 10:53 AM

They will very possibly shoot up their workplace, because they now believe they are victims, AND can't handle stress.

Black Diamond
12-03-2015, 11:34 AM
They will very possibly shoot up their workplace, because they now believe they are victims, AND can't handle stress.

They would have to have guns to do such a thing.

Abbey Marie
12-03-2015, 11:37 AM
They would have to have guns to do such a thing.

Which you and I both know they will find, regardless of restrictive laws.

Black Diamond
12-03-2015, 11:40 AM
Which you and I both know they will find, regardless of restrictive laws.

No they will obey them. All murderers obey laws. :cool:

Elessar
12-03-2015, 11:51 AM

That Gal is warped.

Where are Obama and Sharpton on this one?

Silent, as usual.

Black Diamond
12-03-2015, 11:55 AM
That Gal is warped.

Where are Obama and Sharpton on this one?

Silent, as usual.

Blaming cops and Jim Crow??

Abbey Marie
12-03-2015, 12:00 PM
No they will obey them. All murderers obey laws. :cool:

As do druggies. :eek:

sundaydriver
12-07-2015, 06:14 AM
During college in Miami when my friends and I felt stressed and needed racial soothing we fled to Negril, Jamacia where the Rastafarian's knew just what we needed. :laugh: