PDA

View Full Version : Spinal Stenosis

PixieStix
12-01-2015, 12:59 AM
I was diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis, my Dr. thinks I have lumbar stenosis.

It is pretty dangerous, if I don't agree to have surgery.

I have never had major surgery so I am torn. :eek:

Perianne
12-01-2015, 01:14 AM
Oh, I am soooo sorry. That can be tough. Are you experiencing any numbness or pain in your extremities?

Gunny
12-01-2015, 08:10 AM
Oh, I am soooo sorry. That can be tough. Are you experiencing any numbness or pain in your extremities?

My ex had back surgery. Can't move for a month. Can't squat or bend over for a minimum 90 days and you're never the same after. They're after my right knee and hip. I'm just sucking it up rather than be disabled for a year or more.

Jeff
12-01-2015, 08:43 AM
I had simple back surgery to place a stimulator in my back, hell when I first got it it felt great. They put the motor behind my left kidney and then put the leads into my spine, seems they had trouble getting into my spine, a 2 hour surgery took 4 hours, and now 2 years later where they cut by my spine hurts more than the original pain most nights.

I pray everything works out great for ya. :thumb:

Gunny
12-01-2015, 09:26 AM
I had simple back surgery to place a stimulator in my back, hell when I first got it it felt great. They put the motor behind my left kidney and then put the leads into my spine, seems they had trouble getting into my spine, a 2 hour surgery took 4 hours, and now 2 years later where they cut by my spine hurts more than the original pain most nights.

You have a spine? Not what Jim said ..... :whistling2:

PixieStix
12-01-2015, 08:19 PM

Oh yes, I do.My entire left side goes into different modes at different times.

You being a nurse (if I remember correctly)know that cervical spinal stenosis is very dangerous if left unchecked. They want to go through the front of my neck and jiggle things around and even put a bone from my hip in there to give my neck stability, or some stuff like that. The problem is, it is not always successful. And many times makes things worse. So I am afraid

I'll either wait till I fall or have some sort of minor accident, to become paralyzed or even worse, or have the surgery , and take upwards of a year to recover, depending on how the surgery went. They say some people have to have it done again.

PixieStix
12-01-2015, 08:22 PM

I read recently about one the do in the lumbar spine that they now drill a hole in it. OMG.

I am so sorry for your pain. Prayers for you as well.

Did they call that stimulator a "tens unit"?

aboutime
12-01-2015, 08:28 PM
I was diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis, my Dr. thinks I have lumbar stenosis.

It is pretty dangerous, if I don't agree to have surgery.

I have never had major surgery so I am torn. :eek:

Pixie. DO IT! Today's surgical methods are amazing, and the pain factor is nearly erased with faster recoup times. I've had 3 spinal operations, now more than 20 years ago...when they weren't as advanced as they are today. I still have stenosis since I had T-1 - T3, and less than a year later L-3 to L-5 compressed discs repaired.

Just think about the decision. Either you stick with the pain forever, or the Docs make you feel like a new person again. They even have Uninvasive Laser surgery now....sometimes...no hospital stay required.

Good Luck.

jimnyc
12-01-2015, 08:31 PM
^^^ Couldn't agree more with AT. He knows what he's talking about. There's simply no reason to live in pain these days. Still think about things of course, but today's technology is great. I went in for my spinal surgery on my neck. Arrived at like 5am, was done and WALKING out of there at like 11am. Scary of course, and had to have some recovery and a little pain, but 5 hours and walking out? And after the recovery for the wound, that was it from that disc - pain gone.

PixieStix
12-01-2015, 08:43 PM
^^^ Couldn't agree more with AT. He knows what he's talking about. There's simply no reason to live in pain these days. Still think about things of course, but today's technology is great. I went in for my spinal surgery on my neck. Arrived at like 5am, was done and WALKING out of there at like 11am. Scary of course, and had to have some recovery and a little pain, but 5 hours and walking out? And after the recovery for the wound, that was it from that disc - pain gone.

Cervical spinal stenosis? Did you have laser surgery? I am very happy that you are better :cool:

aboutime
12-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Please click on the link: http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spinal-stenosis/what-spinal-stenosis

Perianne
12-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Oh yes, I do.My entire left side goes into different modes at different times.

You being a nurse (if I remember correctly)know that cervical spinal stenosis is very dangerous if left unchecked. They want to go through the front of my neck and jiggle things around and even put a bone from my hip in there to give my neck stability, or some stuff like that. The problem is, it is not always successful. And many times makes things worse. So I am afraid

I'll either wait till I fall or have some sort of minor accident, to become paralyzed or even worse, or have the surgery , and take upwards of a year to recover, depending on how the surgery went. They say some people have to have it done again.

It is dangerous if it progresses. I have never worked on a floor where they do such work, though I have cared for patients when it goes wrong :( .

Everyone here is right; the advances with modern medicine continue to amaze me.

As I have whined on here repeatedly, I woke up with a crick in my neck seven weeks ago. It progressed to a pinched nerve, which is in the same field as what you are suffering with. To be honest, I would rather die than to have continued the way I was. I would have undergone surgery right there on the spot if there was a chance to relieve the pain. Mine did resolve itself after a few weeks, but spinal stenosis will likely not resolve itself.

I don't know what to tell you, sweetie. It is 100% your decision. Physicians have told me that a person knows when it gets bad enough to undergo neurological surgery. I suspect that is the case with you, too. Just know that there is hope. Best wishes.

PixieStix
12-01-2015, 09:54 PM
It is dangerous if it progresses. I have never worked on a floor where they do such work, though I have cared for patients when it goes wrong :( .

As I have whined on here repeatedly, I woke up with a crick in my neck seven weeks ago. It progressed to a pinched nerve, which is in the same field as what you are suffering with. To be honest, I would rather die than to have continued the way I was. I would have undergone surgery right there on the spot if there was a chance to relieve the pain. Mine did resolve itself after a few weeks, but spinal stenosis will likely not resolve itself.

I don't know what to tell you, sweetie. It is 100% your decision. Physicians have told me that a person knows when it gets bad enough to undergo neurological surgery. I suspect that is the case with you, too. Just know that there is hope. Best wishes.

So when it goes wrong,how wrong does it go Perianne?

aboutime
12-01-2015, 09:54 PM

My first spinal surgery was during the First Gulf War, in the Persian Gulf. The pain I had before the surgery was so bad..it hurt to touch the hair on my arm. My entire left side felt like PIN-N-NEEDLES, and I needed help to get out of, and into my rack (navy bed). From my left Big toe, to the hair on my cheek under my left eye hurt. And I do mean Hurt. But they did my first surgery aboard the Hospital Ship Mercy, and it took 3 days before I was able to NOT use a bedpan. But even that was pain because they removed the catheter from my only source of urination (get the picture?).
Gotta say. The surgery was well worth it, and thankfully...I am still around to enjoy all of my grandkids, and my best friend...My Wife.
Please consider what NOT DOING IT will mean. You won't be sorry if you DO IT.

Perianne
12-01-2015, 10:24 PM
So when it goes wrong,how wrong does it go Perianne?

Not to be negative, but reality is what it is.

When it goes wrong, there are varying levels of paralysis, pain, and/or infection. And with any surgery, there is a small chance of death.

BUT....

I would not hesitate for long, as the good outweighs the possibly bad probably by a factor of 100 to 1, or more. Thousands of these surgeries are performed every day with very good outcomes. Remember, I only see things when they go wrong. I don't see the patients who are relieved from suffering when things go right. You are more likely to die from a car accident on the way to the hospital than to become paralyzed from the surgery. Your physician will tell you what possibly can go wrong.

Here is wisdom: find someone in the medical field (a nurse) who can guide you as to which surgeon to perform the surgery. It makes a big difference in possible outcomes. I find that many of our patients who have bad outcomes with any type of surgeries all tend to have been operated on by the same crappy surgeons. As with any profession, everyone does not have the same skill.

gabosaurus
12-01-2015, 11:05 PM
My husband did not want to go through serious back surgery last summer. He was afraid it would hamper his ability to work. A doctor told him if he did not have surgery, he wouldn't be able to sit up, much less work at a desk job. That convinced him.

Perianne is right about not all surgeons having the same skill. He had his surgery done at the Mayo Clinic in Minneapolis.

Gunny
12-14-2015, 04:53 PM

I have to disagree with that. I'm still capable of everything I've ever been able to do. I just suck up the pain. To have the surgeries requires a year of convalescence each where I would be pretty much helpless. I'd rather hurt than be helpless.

jimnyc
12-14-2015, 04:58 PM
I have to disagree with that. I'm still capable of everything I've ever been able to do. I just suck up the pain. To have the surgeries requires a year of convalescence each where I would be pretty much helpless. I'd rather hurt than be helpless.

I can't speak for these other surgeries. My decision was easier. I walked out of the hospital on the same day. Was back on my feet, although in pain, the next day. The pain from the recovery lasted a week or two. All done, no more dealing with pain. And these days I'm pretty confident they can do this with most spinal surgeries, with lasers and other hand aided devices.

Gunny
12-14-2015, 05:04 PM
I can't speak for these other surgeries. My decision was easier. I walked out of the hospital on the same day. Was back on my feet, although in pain, the next day. The pain from the recovery lasted a week or two. All done, no more dealing with pain. And these days I'm pretty confident they can do this with most spinal surgeries, with lasers and other hand aided devices.

Not if they have to fuse your spine. They basically cut you in half and put you back together with some nuts and bolts and steel plates. In my case, both a hip and knee replacement require removal of the limb. You can't do crap for a year in each case. I know people who have undergone both surgeries. And I ain't sitting on no damn pansy-ass foam potty seat to make sure my knees don't go above my waist. I'd rather crawl on my hands.

jimnyc
12-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Not if they have to fuse your spine. They basically cut you in half and put you back together with some nuts and bolts and steel plates. In my case, both a hip and knee replacement require removal of the limb. You can't do crap for a year in each case. I know people who have undergone both surgeries. And I ain't sitting on no damn pansy-ass foam potty seat to make sure my knees don't go above my waist. I'd rather crawl on my hands.

Mine was a spinal discectomy w/fusion. They removed the disc from my neck and replaced with a cadaver bone. That bone is then implemented with cool gadgets which fuse the bone and that gadget, and eventually the bone is stronger than the original. The second surgery they also removed the disc, but then replaced it with some weird butterfly hardware device, which they say is stronger than the discs. This also fuses to the bones. You should see my cool x-rays, with "nuts and bolts" looking things running the length of those 2 discs! The doc says they have fully fused now and are stronger than ever.

Hips and knee - totally different ballgame there. No easy way to get past those surgeries, and the rehab and recovery involved.

But for me, worse, is I have degeneration in my neck. I'm confident that 6-7 is going, or 3-4, and that may be another surgery down the road. I don't want anymore though. Just trying to find ways to take care of it and avoid any pain.

Gunny
12-14-2015, 05:22 PM
Mine was a spinal discectomy w/fusion. They removed the disc from my neck and replaced with a cadaver bone. That bone is then implemented with cool gadgets which fuse the bone and that gadget, and eventually the bone is stronger than the original. The second surgery they also removed the disc, but then replaced it with some weird butterfly hardware device, which they say is stronger than the discs. This also fuses to the bones. You should see my cool x-rays, with "nuts and bolts" looking things running the length of those 2 discs! The doc says they have fully fused now and are stronger than ever.

Hips and knee - totally different ballgame there. No easy way to get past those surgeries, and the rehab and recovery involved.

But for me, worse, is I have degeneration in my neck. I'm confident that 6-7 is going, or 3-4, and that may be another surgery down the road. I don't want anymore though. Just trying to find ways to take care of it and avoid any pain.

Well, I think Allah needs to fix all this shit so I can go back to work.

Black Diamond
12-14-2015, 05:23 PM
Well, I think Allah needs to fix all this shit so I can go back to work.

What? You mean the 72 virgins isn't enough for you?

Perianne
12-14-2015, 05:28 PM

1 of 72.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8085&stc=1

Gunny
12-14-2015, 05:33 PM

F- THAT. I want 72 sluts that know what the Hell they're doing.

Drummond
12-14-2015, 05:56 PM
F- THAT. I want 72 sluts that know what the Hell they're doing.

Yes, but then, what would be the chances that they'd be virgins ?

You know, if Muslims thought about that more, maybe they'd be less enthusiastic about suicide bombings ?:laugh:

Then again ... maybe that whole 'burkha' thing makes the 'how do I get to heaven, instead' thing that much more tempting ?

aboutime
12-14-2015, 06:11 PM

But, but, the real surprise isn't as everybody has been bragging for years. It was actually ONE 72 year old Goat Herder virgin they get for blowing themselves up....ALLAH ACKBAR....HOORAY:dance:

aboutime
12-14-2015, 06:16 PM

Wrong Gunny. Sorry to pee on your cheerios here but...having had THREE spinal surgeries myself over many years. The longest convalescence period I had...before going back on ACTIVE DUTY, was three months. The doc's choosing. Not mine.
And today. Many types of the same surgeries I had back then, can, and are performed as OUTPATIENT operations that take less than a DAY.

I still have Stenosis, but it is virtually Pain Free. Just limited to my age now, and the other meds I take for other things.
Not having the surgeries to GET RID OF THE PAIN...is just a good excuse to get attention now.

Abbey Marie
12-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Good luck with your decision, Pixie. I have been putting off fixing a labral tear in my hip for years. Russ can tell you how it has limited me. So, I understand not wanting to go through with it. If you do decide to go ahead, I will pray for your good outcome, if you'd like me to.

Gunny
12-19-2015, 10:05 AM
Wrong Gunny. Sorry to pee on your cheerios here but...having had THREE spinal surgeries myself over many years. The longest convalescence period I had...before going back on ACTIVE DUTY, was three months. The doc's choosing. Not mine.
And today. Many types of the same surgeries I had back then, can, and are performed as OUTPATIENT operations that take less than a DAY.

I still have Stenosis, but it is virtually Pain Free. Just limited to my age now, and the other meds I take for other things.
Not having the surgeries to GET RID OF THE PAIN...is just a good excuse to get attention now.

You had a difference experience. My wife had a spinal fusion and it was like having a 50+ years old baby on my hands. And she was (and is) a total airhead) so getting her to follow directions was like herding cats. I think it has a LOT to do with age and being or not being a wimp. The ex is a total whiny wimp. But that surgery completely destroyed her.

Stepfather had his knees replaced. Jumping off trains for 50 years apparently doesn't agree with them. Also had a friend who had his hip replaced. It's not the same. I'm not in a position to be helpless. And if you recall correctly, you ain't exactly getting cream of the crop for surgeons in the military.

aboutime
12-19-2015, 08:41 PM
You had a difference experience. My wife had a spinal fusion and it was like having a 50+ years old baby on my hands. And she was (and is) a total airhead) so getting her to follow directions was like herding cats. I think it has a LOT to do with age and being or not being a wimp. The ex is a total whiny wimp. But that surgery completely destroyed her.

Stepfather had his knees replaced. Jumping off trains for 50 years apparently doesn't agree with them. Also had a friend who had his hip replaced. It's not the same. I'm not in a position to be helpless. And if you recall correctly, you ain't exactly getting cream of the crop for surgeons in the military.

Of course, you're right. You're always right. Why should I bother to think a little friendly advice would make any difference to someone who doesn't want to get friendly advice? Forget all that I said. You know better.

Gunny
12-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Of course, you're right. You're always right. Why should I bother to think a little friendly advice would make any difference to someone who doesn't want to get friendly advice? Forget all that I said. You know better.

I'm not always right and have said no such thing. I don't get the same kind of medical treatment you do. I get Dr Frankenstein honing his craft in the military where he can't be sued. And I've seen the results.

I'd love to have some hi-tech shit. Maybe someone ought to notify our CinC? Or the morons that passed that Omnibus Bill? I can at least suck it up still. Lot of people out there can't and they need help more than I do. Why do you think I haven't asked for any? I know the procedures are out there. Maybe somebody ought to share.

You know how many Drs won't take Tricare because the government rips them off? I had to drive 60 miles one way in IL just to get to a Dr that would accept it, and had to waive the 30 minute rule or I'd get dropped. Once the government is done with u, we just get tossed in the trash. Reminds me of a woman I know.

aboutime
12-19-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm not always right and have said no such thing. I don't get the same kind of medical treatment you do. I get Dr Frankenstein honing his craft in the military where he can't be sued. And I've seen the results.

I'd love to have some hi-tech shit. Maybe someone ought to notify our CinC? Or the morons that passed that Omnibus Bill? I can at least suck it up still. Lot of people out there can't and they need help more than I do. Why do you think I haven't asked for any? I know the procedures are out there. Maybe somebody ought to share.

You know how many Drs won't take Tricare because the government rips them off? I had to drive 60 miles one way in IL just to get to a Dr that would accept it, and had to waive the 30 minute rule or I'd get dropped. Once the government is done with u, we just get tossed in the trash. Reminds me of a woman I know.

Been using Tricare since it's inception, and with S.S. since I turned 65. I've heard all those stories, and somebody has been feeding you bad info. Have never had a civilian doctor who won't take Tricare. The ripoff depends on how hard you want to always play the victim.

Gunny
12-19-2015, 10:23 PM
Been using Tricare since it's inception, and with S.S. since I turned 65. I've heard all those stories, and somebody has been feeding you bad info. Have never had a civilian doctor who won't take Tricare. The ripoff depends on how hard you want to always play the victim.

Not bad info. Depends on where you live. And I don't know where you live. Tricare North sucks. Tricare South was pretty cool. Tricare West seems to be okay. I have NO idea why the doctors in IL wouldn't take Tricare. My best guess is they present the government or whoever is underwriting Tricare where you are and the government pays them what they want to rather than what they are billed. I've looked at the bills. Got a separate binder for them. They never get paid what they charge.

I lived right outside Peoria and I had to drive halfway to Chicago to get a dr that would take it. Trust me, I'd have been a lot happier if I could have just driven the 15 miles to Peoria but no one there would accept it. I have no reason to make it up. I'm just relating an experience. I lived there for 3 years. I had no trouble in San Antonio because there are a few bases there. There's an AFB where I am. The stuff I said about my ex is true as well.

I'm not in a position to be unable to get about. It's that simple. Got nothing to do with you and my comments aren't meant in any way personally toward you. I don't need back surgery. I need a hip and knee replaced.

Jeff
12-20-2015, 08:29 AM
I read recently about one the do in the lumbar spine that they now drill a hole in it. OMG.

I am so sorry for your pain. Prayers for you as well.

Did they call that stimulator a "tens unit"?

It's similar to a tens unit, but it is all internal and it is much more powerful. Like I said it felt great when they first did it, I am sure it;s scar tissue or something like that messing with me know.

Gunny
12-20-2015, 08:42 AM
It's similar to a tens unit, but it is all internal and it is much more powerful. Like I said it felt great when they first did it, I am sure it;s scar tissue or something like that messing with me know.

You probably violated every damned rule the dr told you not to. :laugh:

Jeff
12-22-2015, 06:34 PM
You probably violated every damned rule the dr told you not to. :laugh:

Let's just say my Doc kind of just shrugs before he walks into the door. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
12-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Let's just say my Doc kind of just shrugs before he walks into the door. :laugh:

As long as he's not crying on the way out!

;)