PDA

View Full Version : Congressional Medal of Honor

Bilgerat
12-02-2015, 12:23 PM
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/lucas.jpg

This is PFC Jacklyn “Jack” Lucas (14 February 1928 – 5 June 2008)

He was a was Marine who received the Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroic actions during the Iwo Jima campaign.

At age 14 he enlisted in the Marine Corps, giving his age as 17. After being transferred to Pearl Harbor, he told his buddies that he wanted to join a combat organization.

He stowed away on board the USS Deuel which was transporting units of the 5th Marine Division into combat. He surrendered to the senior troop officer present on 8 February 1945 dressed in neat, clean dungarees and was allowed to remain, He reached his 17th birthday while at sea, six days before the heroic actions at Iwo Jima, for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor.

During the fighting, Jack unhesitatingly threw himself onto a grenade, pulling a second grenade under himself to save his comrades. One of the grenades exploded, and Lucas absorbed the entire blasting force of it with his own body.

Lucas survived and eventually received 21 surgeries.

For the rest of his life, there remained about 200 pieces of metal, some the size of 22 caliber bullets, in Lucas' body — which set off airport metal detectors.

Perianne
12-02-2015, 12:36 PM
I could never have fought in wars. I am too scared of people hurting me.

Gunny
12-02-2015, 12:42 PM
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/lucas.jpg

This is PFC Jacklyn “Jack” Lucas (14 February 1928 – 5 June 2008)

He was a was Marine who received the Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroic actions during the Iwo Jima campaign.

At age 14 he enlisted in the Marine Corps, giving his age as 17. After being transferred to Pearl Harbor, he told his buddies that he wanted to join a combat organization.

He stowed away on board the USS Deuel which was transporting units of the 5th Marine Division into combat. He surrendered to the senior troop officer present on 8 February 1945 dressed in neat, clean dungarees and was allowed to remain, He reached his 17th birthday while at sea, six days before the heroic actions at Iwo Jima, for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor.

During the fighting, Jack unhesitatingly threw himself onto a grenade, pulling a second grenade under himself to save his comrades. One of the grenades exploded, and Lucas absorbed the entire blasting force of it with his own body.

Lucas survived and eventually received 21 surgeries.

For the rest of his life, there remained about 200 pieces of metal, some the size of 22 caliber bullets, in Lucas' body — which set off airport metal detectors.

Ooh rah to PFC Lucas.

One thing that is a pet peeve of mine is ... it is actually NOT a "Congressional " Medal of Honor. It's the Medal of Honor. Adding "Congressional" to it cheapens the award.

Bilgerat
12-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Ooh rah to PFC Lucas.

One thing that is a pet peeve of mine is ... it is actually NOT a "Congressional " Medal of Honor. It's the Medal of Honor. Adding "Congressional" to it cheapens the award.

Noted, further remarks will reflect :salute:

Gunny
12-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Noted, further remarks will reflect :salute:

I just think it's a bunch of self-aggrandizing crap on the part of Congress. Sure they have to approve the medal. They have to approve the Silver and Bronze Stars. Ever hear them called the "Congressional" SIlver/Bornze Star? And civilians have perpetuated the "Congressional" crap. Congress wasn't with that Marine. Give him his due. For an enlisted man to earn the Medal of Honor and not be dead he must have been doing monkey flips while firing his weapon and be one on 1000 with a battalion. Congress signed a piece of paper. Congress can't even sign a budget on time they know is coming up annually.

And what a lot of civilians and stupid politicians don't get is EVERY time they recognize a POS like Bo Bergdhal you cheapen our awards. What's mine worth that I earned when you give that scumbag one and treat his tratorous ass like a hero?