PDA

View Full Version : "Constitution check": Can guns used in mass shootings be banned?

Little-Acorn
12-08-2015, 11:22 AM
An odd article I found on the home page of Yahoo.com.

It's odd in that, despite its headline and a paragraph header that say they checked the Constitution, no reference to the Constitution appears anywhere in the actual story. Rather, they "check" various Court opinions. Historically, court opinions (especially on guns) often have little to do with what the Constitution actually says. And when they do, they just as often get it wrong.

So why do these authors claim to "check the Constitution" when they don't check it at all?

The Const does have a passage directly addressing the right to keep and bear arms. For the article's authors, it's called the Second Amendment - something they might want to look up.

It says that since an armed and capable populace is necessary for security and freedom, the right of ordinary people to own and carry guns and other such weapons cannot be taken away or restricted.

Does that sound like a statement giving governments the power to ban guns?

Keep in mind that the Federal government has NO POWERS AT ALL except those specifically given to it by the Constitution. And with that passage in the Constitution, and no other reference to arms at all, how can the govt possible say they have any power to restrict or take away your right to own a certain kind of rifle?

The second amendment applies just as strongly to state and local governments, of course, just as the 13th amendment does. If an amendment doesn't specify which government it applies to, then it applies to every govt in the U.S. And the 14th amendment even blurs that line: The 1st amendment originally was designed to apply only to the Fed Govt ("Congress shall make no law....") and not the states or local govts. Unsurprising, since most states had official state religions when it was first passed, and the Framers clearly didn't want to mess with that. But the 14th amendment changed that.

But unlike the 1st, the 2nd amendment has no such specification for which govt it applies to, so it applies to all of them, and has ever since it was ratified. It is illegal for any govt in the U.S. to take away or restrict your right to own and carry a gun.

It would be nice if the Supreme Court justices would notice that.

And the authors of this article.

---------------------------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/constitution-check-guns-used-mass-shootings-banned-113606637--politics.html

Constitution Check: Can guns used in mass shootings be banned?

National Constitution Center
By Lyle Denniston
4 hours ago

Lyle Denniston, the National Constitution Center’s constitutional literacy adviser, analyzes the Supreme Court’s refusal to take a case about banning assault weapons.

THE STATEMENTS AT ISSUE:

“Assault weapons with large-capacity magazines can fire more shots, faster, and thus can be more dangerous in aggregate. Why else are they the weapons of choice in many shootings? A ban on assault weapons and large-capacity magazines might not prevent shootings in Highland Park (where they are already rare), but it may reduce the carnage if a mass shooting occurs….If it has no other effect, Highland Park’s ordinance may increase the public’s sense of safety. Mass shootings are rare, but they are highly salient, and people tend to over-estimate the likelihood of salient events.” – Excerpt from the majority opinion of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, upholding a ban on assault weapons and larger ammunition magazines in the city of Highland, Park, Ill.

On Monday, the Supreme Court refused to review that appeals court decision, thus leaving the city’s weapons ban in place.

WE CHECKED THE CONSTITUTION, AND…

For the past seven years, it has been a settled constitutional issue that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to have a gun for use in self-defense. But that Supreme Court ruling, in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller, only made a start on defining the scope of that right. The only other decision that added any clarity to that right was a decision in 2010, extending nationwide that personal right (McDonald v. Chicago).

Gun rights advocates have been attempting repeatedly over the past five years to get the Supreme Court to return to the issue, complaining with increasing fervor that lower courts are not respecting Second Amendment rights, and, indeed, are engaging in what some advocates have called “massive resistance” to the court’s decisions.

red state
12-08-2015, 11:53 AM
An odd article I found on the home page of Yahoo.com....Gun rights advocates have been attempting repeatedly over the past five years to get the Supreme Court to return to the issue, complaining with increasing fervor that lower courts are not respecting Second Amendment rights, and, indeed, are engaging in what some advocates have called “massive resistance” to the court’s decisions.

They want and succeed in redefining marriage and ENFORCE it but we still have a problem with LEGALLY carrying a firearm. My son was pulled over by a Game Warden (while he was working) and the warden saw his rifle and said that he could have ticketed him for that. My son has his own company truck and goes hunting after work and told the warden "GO AHEAD....but I'll get it dismissed." The Game Warden said: "probably so."

I have no respect for such "law enforcers" and I've taught my son to be his own man.....and he stood his ground. I told my son that we have the CONSTITUTION of the USA, the Constitution or Mississippi, the CASTLE law so there is no reason *(especially a RED State) to fall into that liberalism crap. This law is especially stupid because I believe it is purposed only or mainly during Deer Season. I told my son that not everyone can afford or prefers a handgun.....so it is not right to infringe on anyone's ability to defend themselves.

Hopefully our State will re-open that crappy law that was passed years ago when we had a few liberal pukes in the legislature. I doubt it tho. That encounter my son had was just the other day...

Gunny
12-08-2015, 11:55 AM
An odd article I found on the home page of Yahoo.com.

It's odd in that, despite its headline and a paragraph header that say they checked the Constitution, no reference to the Constitution appears anywhere in the actual story. Rather, they "check" various Court opinions. Historically, court opinions (especially on guns) often have little to do with what the Constitution actually says. And when they do, they just as often get it wrong.

So why do these authors claim to "check the Constitution" when they don't check it at all?

The Const does have a passage directly addressing the right to keep and bear arms. For the article's authors, it's called the Second Amendment - something they might want to look up.

It says that since an armed and capable populace is necessary for security and freedom, the right of ordinary people to own and carry guns and other such weapons cannot be taken away or restricted.

Does that sound like a statement giving governments the power to ban guns?

Keep in mind that the Federal government has NO POWERS AT ALL except those specifically given to it by the Constitution. And with that passage in the Constitution, and no other reference to arms at all, how can the govt possible say they have any power to restrict or take away your right to own a certain kind of rifle?

The second amendment applies just as strongly to state and local governments, of course, just as the 13th amendment does. If an amendment doesn't specify which government it applies to, then it applies to every govt in the U.S. And the 14th amendment even blurs that line: The 1st amendment originally was designed to apply only to the Fed Govt ("Congress shall make no law....") and not the states or local govts. Unsurprising, since most states had official state religions when it was first passed, and the Framers clearly didn't want to mess with that. But the 14th amendment changed that.

But unlike the 1st, the 2nd amendment has no such specification for which govt it applies to, so it applies to all of them, and has ever since it was ratified. It is illegal for any govt in the U.S. to take away or restrict your right to own and carry a gun.

It would be nice if the Supreme Court justices would notice that.

And the authors of this article.

---------------------------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/constitution-check-guns-used-mass-shootings-banned-113606637--politics.html

Constitution Check: Can guns used in mass shootings be banned?

National Constitution Center
By Lyle Denniston
4 hours ago

Lyle Denniston, the National Constitution Center’s constitutional literacy adviser, analyzes the Supreme Court’s refusal to take a case about banning assault weapons.

THE STATEMENTS AT ISSUE:

“Assault weapons with large-capacity magazines can fire more shots, faster, and thus can be more dangerous in aggregate. Why else are they the weapons of choice in many shootings? A ban on assault weapons and large-capacity magazines might not prevent shootings in Highland Park (where they are already rare), but it may reduce the carnage if a mass shooting occurs….If it has no other effect, Highland Park’s ordinance may increase the public’s sense of safety. Mass shootings are rare, but they are highly salient, and people tend to over-estimate the likelihood of salient events.” – Excerpt from the majority opinion of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, upholding a ban on assault weapons and larger ammunition magazines in the city of Highland, Park, Ill.

On Monday, the Supreme Court refused to review that appeals court decision, thus leaving the city’s weapons ban in place.

WE CHECKED THE CONSTITUTION, AND…

For the past seven years, it has been a settled constitutional issue that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to have a gun for use in self-defense. But that Supreme Court ruling, in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller, only made a start on defining the scope of that right. The only other decision that added any clarity to that right was a decision in 2010, extending nationwide that personal right (McDonald v. Chicago).

Gun rights advocates have been attempting repeatedly over the past five years to get the Supreme Court to return to the issue, complaining with increasing fervor that lower courts are not respecting Second Amendment rights, and, indeed, are engaging in what some advocates have called “massive resistance” to the court’s decisions.

You mean those guns you can't legally buy nor own in CA? I must be missing the part where a law-abiding gun owner killed anyone.:rolleyes:

Little-Acorn
12-08-2015, 12:49 PM
You mean those guns you can't legally buy nor own in CA? I must be missing the part where a law-abiding gun owner killed anyone.:rolleyes:

The liberals are missing them too. They keep making laws that restrict the law-abiding, pretending that people who don't obey laws will obey them.

Perianne
12-08-2015, 01:05 PM
I haven't shot anyone yet. I don't know why leftists want to keep me from having a gun...or eight.

revelarts
12-08-2015, 01:45 PM
If all Muslims are being banned after mass shootings makes sense, then i guess banning all the guns used after a mass shooting makes just as much sense.

sarcasm alert-sarcasm alert-sarcasm alert-sarcasm alert-sarcasm alert-

But wait, one shooter was a man another a women.... maybe we should ban all men and women!

And REMEMBER 911... the hijackers were mostly Saudi Arabian... we should ban all Saudis from all airplanes. and from the U.S.. period.

Also the worse of the worst on 911 were pilots so it just makes sense that we should ban all pilots from traveling by air. you can't be to sure which pilot is a terrorist!

Also the underwear bomber was wearing underwear therefore we should ban all underwear.
the shoe bomber used shoes therefore we should not just CHECK EVERYONES SHOES, but BAN ALL shoes everywhere in the U.S..
then we'll be safe.

It's only reasonable and of course very constitutionish. But if not then well TO BAD! Constitutions no good if you're DEAD!! F*** IT!
Only a FOOL or a liberal would allow anyone to wear shoes anywhere in the U.S. if there's just ONE chance in 300 million that they might have bombs to kill us all.
If you don't want to ban all this then it looks like you want to do NOTHING!

Get real, there's just no good way to "VET" ALL SHOES, so it's just wise to ban shoes altogether.
And we're not afraid of shoes, (that's ridiculous we're hardened Bad Areses) we're just angry at them.
Plus "regular people" don't need shoes anyway.

Perianne
12-08-2015, 01:57 PM
If all Muslims are being banned after mass shootings makes sense, then i guess banning all the guns used after a mass shooting makes just as much sense.

sarcasm alert-sarcasm alert-sarcasm alert-sarcasm alert-sarcasm alert-

But wait, one shooter was a man another a women.... maybe we should ban all men and women!

And REMEMBER 911... the hijackers were mostly Saudi Arabian... we should ban all Saudis from all airplanes. and from the U.S.. period.

Also the worse of the worst on 911 were pilots so it just makes sense that we should ban all pilots from traveling by air. you can't be to sure which pilot is a terrorist!

Also the underwear bomber was wearing underwear therefore we should ban all underwear.
the shoe bomber used shoes therefore we should not just CHECK EVERYONES SHOES, but BAN ALL shoes everywhere in the U.S..
then we'll be safe.

It's only reasonable and of course very constitutionish. But if not then well TO BAD! Constitutions no good if you're DEAD!! F*** IT!
Only a FOOL or a liberal would allow anyone to wear shoes anywhere in the U.S. if there's just ONE chance in 300 million that they might have bombs to kill us all.
If you don't want to ban all this then it looks like you want to do NOTHING!

Get real, there's just no good way to "VET" ALL SHOES, so it's just wise to ban shoes altogether.
And we're not afraid of shoes, (that's ridiculous we're hardened Bad Areses) we're just angry at them.
Plus "regular people" don't need shoes anyway.

I would be just fine. I often don't wear shoes and underwear. But I am also not the type of person they are looking for.

We finally agree on something. Let's ban all Saudis and other Arabs.

red state
12-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Hi-jackers......I detest all of them......even thread hi-jackers. :lol:

not u perianne.....you simply posted to quickly and got in the middle. HA!!!

Perianne
12-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Hi-jackers......I detest all of them......even thread hi-jackers. :lol:

not u perianne.....you simply posted to quickly and got in the middle. HA!!!

I have been in the middle several times. I don't like it. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Gunny
12-08-2015, 02:09 PM
I haven't shot anyone yet. I don't know why leftists want to keep me from having a gun...or eight.

Ummm ... does it count if you're outside the US? Me neither. :halo9: I think you just disqualified at least 4-5 members of the board if it does.

And 8's a bit much. You can shoot only 2 at a time and have a hideaway spare. But who am I to judge? I usually have about 3-4 blades on me. :)

Bilgerat
12-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Don't forget he attempted to "modify" the S&W weapon to make it fully automatic (Federal law makes it illegal to do so in EVERY State)

And they were modified to accept large capacity magazines. This alteration made the weapons unlawful under California's ban on guns with magazines that can detach for quick reloading.

Bilgerat
12-08-2015, 02:25 PM
I often don't wear shoes and underwear.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/4c718783d4a7d017319cbfabc96928dc/tumblr_mg9e93b6pp1r8gsqgo4_250.gif

Gunny
12-08-2015, 02:48 PM
I have been in the middle several times. I don't like it. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Nobody cares. :)

You need to quit apologizing. In case you haven't noticed, if we didn't like you, you WOULD DAMNED SURE have noticed.

red state
12-08-2015, 02:58 PM

Sorry for what....I was referring to REV. You just got in the way of my applying that pointing thing :lol:

Perianne
12-08-2015, 02:58 PM
Nobody cares. :)

You need to quit apologizing. In case you haven't noticed, if we didn't like you, you WOULD DAMNED SURE have noticed.

Sorry for apologizing. :)

red state
12-08-2015, 02:59 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/icons/icon1.png

http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Perianne http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=784445#post784445)
I often don't wear shoes and underwear.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/4c718783d4a7d017319cbfabc96928dc/tumblr_mg9e93b6pp1r8gsqgo4_250.gif

Any proof? :link:

CSM
12-09-2015, 07:52 AM

Only eight?