PDA

View Full Version : ExPats?

darin
12-10-2015, 05:45 AM
I think about moving abroad - and staying - but...the desert southwest of the US calls to me. Maybe Moab area? Also - Alaska - and living off grid. Hard to do at this point in my life...but I believe there's no place like the US when it comes to the freedom to be left alone, relatively speaking.

I wonder - often - why folks here in Europe tend to be okay with fascism and totalitarianism.

NightTrain
12-10-2015, 08:19 AM
I think about moving abroad - and staying - but...the desert southwest of the US calls to me. Maybe Moab area? Also - Alaska - and living off grid. Hard to do at this point in my life...but I believe there's no place like the US when it comes to the freedom to be left alone, relatively speaking.

If you want to try it out, I'll set you up at my cabin. You can stay there rent free and experiment with that lifestyle for a few months, with the occasional visits from me & family / friends on the weekends.

Bring a girlfriend - the guys I've run across out in the boonies doing that solo end up getting warped in the head... humans are social animals and need interaction to keep from getting weird!

jimnyc
12-10-2015, 09:15 AM

I wonder - often - why folks here in Europe tend to be okay with fascism and totalitarianism.

I admire you a lot. You know what you want in life and you go out and do it. I also wish I could see parts of the world as you have. I pretty much haven't been off the east coast but for a couple of trips.

Anyway. If you ever want to take up Rick on his offer to test out the cabin, and need another guy around to help drink the beer and find ALL kinds of new ways to get into trouble, and you can even blame things on me - I'm in!!

jimnyc
12-10-2015, 09:16 AM
If you want to try it out, I'll set you up at my cabin. You can stay there rent free and experiment with that lifestyle for a few months, with the occasional visits from me & family / friends on the weekends.

Bring a girlfriend - the guys I've run across out in the boonies doing that solo end up getting warped in the head... humans are social animals and need interaction to keep from getting weird!

Can I get away with blowing shit up out there?

(don't worry nsa, I'm talking FUN stuff, legal stuff, allegedly, or maybe, or maybe just messing, or talking about the 4th, just go away nsa!)

NightTrain
12-10-2015, 09:26 AM
Can I get away with blowing shit up out there?

(don't worry nsa, I'm talking FUN stuff, legal stuff, allegedly, or maybe, or maybe just messing, or talking about the 4th, just go away nsa!)

Oh yeah.

Look up a few vids on Tannerite. That stuff is awesome!

Last summer the guys about a mile away heard us light off a 1-pound container of that stuff and thought our cabin burned down & that was the propane tank exploding... it was a magnificent explosion!

jimnyc
12-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Oh yeah.

Look up a few vids on Tannerite. That stuff is awesome!

Last summer the guys about a mile away heard us light off a 1-pound container of that stuff and thought our cabin burned down & that was the propane tank exploding... it was a magnificent explosion!

I'm in!! And when I get a buzz going, look out and take over, you don't want me near explosives anymore! :laugh:

Here's a vid of just 1.5lbs. I see other vids on Youtube of people blowing up a few hundred pounds of this crap!! (fun at :40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfNt_YfU97U

darin
12-10-2015, 11:44 AM

That would be a effing dream come-true for me Rick. Honestly, man. That is crazy-awesome. And yes. I'm going to do that. We'll figure it out. I'm going to do that. I might have a lady or two in mind.

I admire you a lot. You know what you want in life and you go out and do it. I also wish I could see parts of the world as you have. I pretty much haven't been off the east coast but for a couple of trips.

Anyway. If you ever want to take up Rick on his offer to test out the cabin, and need another guy around to help drink the beer and find ALL kinds of new ways to get into trouble, and you can even blame things on me - I'm in!!

thank you Jim. Means a lot to me. I'd still bring a lady, but you're welcome to fetch fuel for the fire and all that. Carry water. We'll bet chores on the outcomes of Steelers games.

Oh - and I know how to make my own tannerite ;)

jimnyc
12-10-2015, 11:48 AM
That would be a effing dream come-true for me Rick. Honestly, man. That is crazy-awesome. And yes. I'm going to do that. We'll figure it out. I'm going to do that. I might have a lady or two in mind.

thank you Jim. Means a lot to me. I'd still bring a lady, but you're welcome to fetch fuel for the fire and all that. Carry water. We'll bet chores on the outcomes of Steelers games.

Works for me, I don't give a crap! So long as Rick leaves us a few snow mobiles to play with too!! You can still bring a lady, so long as she's the type to walk around in her panties. :lol:

darin
12-10-2015, 11:50 AM
*Snowmachines.

Not snowmobiles ;)

And yes - she walks around in her panties...but mostly when the panties are covered by other clothes. Mostly :)

NightTrain
12-10-2015, 11:51 AM
It would be safer to do that in the Summer in your rookie year... river ice is extremely dangerous if you don't know what to look for. Lots more to do, too.

darin
12-10-2015, 11:54 AM
It would be safer to do that in the Summer in your rookie year... river ice is extremely dangerous if you don't know what to look for. Lots more to do, too.

too many bugs? Maybe compromise? August-October?

jimnyc
12-10-2015, 11:56 AM
*Snowmachines.

Not snowmobiles ;)

And yes - she walks around in her panties...but mostly when the panties are covered by other clothes. Mostly :)

Call 'em what you like, I call them fun!

And that's cool, I can imagine, and sneak some peeks! :laugh:

Ok, I don't wanna drown. Nor freeze to death. Nor get eaten by a hungry bear who hasn't eaten anything else in a month or so!

darin
12-10-2015, 12:04 PM
The Lady asks for pics of the place? :) Been looking for that one thread....help?

Jim - if I'm there i'll keep you safe, little fella. By the time you leave, you'd be a changed man.

NightTrain
12-10-2015, 12:14 PM
The Lady asks for pics of the place? :) Been looking for that one thread....help?

Jim - if I'm there i'll keep you safe, little fella. By the time you leave, you'd be a changed man.

Lots of pics of it in my Alaska Pics threads down in Photography. And that video clip of running some real skinny water in the jet boat, something you'll have to learn how to do.

Bugs aren't bad... and October is pretty late in the year. I'd end your season about late September.

darin
12-10-2015, 12:17 PM
we can work it out - I'm thinking it'd be a great adventure following my time here in Germany. I'll save a little money and take a leave of absence. Found the pics, thanks Rick.

Gunny
12-10-2015, 12:17 PM

Get your jealousy button out. I live in the SW US. And THIS board and a military retirement check is my "on the grid". Thing you have to think about is there's a price for everything. I admit freely I dropped out of the World. I understand the disillusionment.

But there are a lot of things I can't or won't do because of it.

jimnyc
12-10-2015, 12:23 PM

Lots of pics of it in my Alaska Pics threads down in Photography. And that video clip of running some real skinny water in the jet boat, something you'll have to learn how to do.

Bugs aren't bad... and October is pretty late in the year. I'd end your season about late September.

I think we asked about spiders once before. Who's in charge and how are they killed? Because they sure as hell ain't gonna be bunkmates!!

NightTrain
12-10-2015, 12:36 PM
There's a few spiders, but not many and zero that are poisonous.

Bugs up there are few after early / mid June.

Bears are plentiful, because of the salmon running, but their population has mysteriously dropped after the one incident with a black bear sow and cub confronted us in the yard. The ones with no respect are no longer with us but you should always be armed out there.

Gunny
12-10-2015, 12:41 PM

Bears are plentiful, because of the salmon running, but their population has mysteriously dropped after the one incident with a black bear sow and cub conftconfronted us in the yard. The ones with no respect are no longer with us but you should always be armed out there.

Well crap ... who needs spiders when you got friggin' bears. :laugh2:

NightTrain
12-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Well crap ... who needs spiders when you got friggin' bears. :laugh2:

I'd choose bears.... I can frighten them off.

jimnyc
12-10-2015, 01:06 PM

Bears are plentiful, because of the salmon running, but their population has mysteriously dropped after the one incident with a black bear sow and cub conftconfronted us in the yard. The ones with no respect are no longer with us but you should always be armed out there.

I don't care about whether they are poisonous or not. They are ALL poison to me! They may not kill you, but they can fuck your life up. I'd be wearing spider spray to keep them bastards away. Do they even make such stuff?

I know bears should scare me, but they don't. I'm an idiot. Cute furry little buggers. Sure I'd be smart, have protection and keep away and all. Just saying that spiders scare me much more! :laugh:

fj1200
12-10-2015, 02:01 PM

Interesting question. Maybe those who live in a homogeneous society are more likely to tend to the extreme and focus anger on outsiders.

Gunny
12-10-2015, 04:32 PM
I don't care about whether they are poisonous or not. They are ALL poison to me! They may not kill you, but they can fuck your life up. I'd be wearing spider spray to keep them bastards away. Do they even make such stuff?

I know bears should scare me, but they don't. I'm an idiot. Cute furry little buggers. Sure I'd be smart, have protection and keep away and all. Just saying that spiders scare me much more! :laugh:

Don't ever join the military. We keep spiders as pets. They keep all the other bugs out of our damned hooches. :laugh: