PDA

View Full Version : Verbal Abilities

Perianne
12-13-2015, 10:56 PM
I think we have some posters here who have excellent verbal abilities. :)

Those who are liberal in their use of swear words are not the lazy and uneducated individuals they are often made out to be, a new study claims.

In fact, a well-stocked vocabulary of swear words is actually a healthy indicator of other verbal abilities.

...Using students as research subjects the psychologists then asked their participants to say as many different swear words as they could think of in 60 seconds. Other non-swearing tasks such as saying as many animal names in the same space of time were also set to compare the findings.

The results found that volunteers who could produce the greatest quantity of swear words could also produce the most words in other categories. If the “poverty of vocabulary” explanation was true then the opposite should have been the case.

Regardless of the studies, I am not going to adopt a potty mouth and say bad words.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/people-who-are-really-good-at-swearing-have-an-important-advantage-a6770486.html

Black Diamond
12-13-2015, 11:17 PM
I think we have some posters here who have excellent verbal abilities. :)

Regardless of the studies, I am not going to adopt a potty mouth and say bad words.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/people-who-are-really-good-at-swearing-have-an-important-advantage-a6770486.html

Why the f*ck not?

NightTrain
12-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Fuckin' A! I knew it!

LongTermGuy
12-13-2015, 11:39 PM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/1Z62H/what-in-the-hell-is-the-world-comin-too/image.png?w=400&c=1

Black Diamond
12-13-2015, 11:46 PM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/1Z62H/what-in-the-hell-is-the-world-comin-too/image.png?w=400&c=1
Sumbitch

Gunny
12-13-2015, 11:52 PM
F*ck all of y'all. At least I'm not a damned Mf-ng Dem. My hand would cut it's own f-ing self off it I even thought about voting "D".

CSM
12-14-2015, 07:49 AM
Yeah..... I'm thinking this study was created by liberals, for liberals. I have a list of swear words in seven languages that I can lay on somebody when necessary. Is it the swear words or the knowledge (at various levels of proficiency) that indicate my verbal abilities? Hmmmmm....

Gunny
12-14-2015, 08:09 AM
Yeah..... I'm thinking this study was created by liberals, for liberals. I have a list of swear words in seven languages that I can lay on somebody when necessary. Is it the swear words or the knowledge (at various levels of proficiency) that indicate my verbal abilities? Hmmmmm....

Well. I ain't got quite seven, but I can get around. Especially if you consider "Sailor" a language. Then we of course have to improve on it. :)

CSM
12-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Well. I ain't got quite seven, but I can get around. Especially if you consider "Sailor" a language. Then we of course have to improve on it. :)

Of course improvements are necessary! Cussing is an art form....

Drummond
12-14-2015, 09:37 AM

Bleedin' heck & begorrah (that last one's for Noir's benefit), I think you're correct.

The 'Independent' newspaper is a British publication. It started out as genuinely independent of partisan bias, but that changed at the time of the 2003 Iraq invasion, which they decided to oppose. They veered Leftwards after that. They've never properly corrected that bias.

Me, I think that this lot is a pathetic excuse for giving Lefties licence to swear at their opposition a lot more. Because they're running out of more coherent excuses to fight their opposition ?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-14-2015, 09:59 AM
I TRY TO NOT CURSE ANY MORE THAN IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

Yet, I have been cussed at by some of the best swearers in the damn world.
Usually after I tossed their dumbasses out of the club. As a club bouncer, the rule was you
can not stomp their asses unless they swing at or hit you, so my being cussed at just made me laugh at them.
The much tamer cuss(not curse) words are descriptive enough for me to use when irritated and needed to be more descriptive of certain dumb-ass son of bitches. -;) Like obama, dems, muzzie bastards, gays, other assorted perverts etc. -Tyr

LongTermGuy
12-14-2015, 10:07 AM

Usually after I tossed their dumbasses out of the club. As a club bouncer, the rule was you
can not stomp their asses unless they swing at or hit you, so my being cussed at just made me laugh at them.
The much tamer cuss(not curse) words are descriptive enough for me to use when irritated and needed to be more descriptive of certain dumb-ass son of bitches. -;) Like obama, dems, muzzie bastards, gays, other assorted perverts etc. -Tyr

"Be Nice".....Memories..:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTh5JzRziHE

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-14-2015, 10:10 AM
"Be Nice".....Memories..:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTh5JzRziHE

haha,
Hoss the "nice memories" are about the very beautiful , very sexy and very willing ladies back then. :laugh:-Tyr

LongTermGuy
12-14-2015, 10:11 AM
haha,
Hoss the "nice memories" are about the very beautiful , very sexy and very willing ladies back then. :laugh:-Tyr

​ahhhhhhhh....yes my brother....

sundaydriver
12-14-2015, 10:42 AM
At one job a few of the production workers asked me why I didn't swear in my dealings with them. I explained that I did curse, but only when I felt it appropriate to really stress a point, so when I did curse you know It's important. Besides, if I dropped the F Bomb 3 or 4 times in just about every broken sentence I spoke like you do, my opinion of myself would drop to the same level as I hold you.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-14-2015, 11:06 AM
At one job a few of the production workers asked me why I didn't swear in my dealings with them. I explained that I did curse, but only when I felt it appropriate to really stress a point, so when I did curse you know It's important. Besides, if I dropped the F Bomb 3 or 4 times in just about every broken sentence I spoke like you do, my opinion of myself would drop to the same level as I hold you.

Yes, I can see and tell. As is so clearly evident by your stats!
Such amazingly high rep level you have here among your fellow
members and JUST LOOK AT THAT MASSIVE NUMBER OF THANKS you get
for these conceited and arrogant self-aggrandizing postings in
which you display your extremely high self-appraisal of your
god-like abilities here.

Wow! Almost up to 350k in Rep power!

Posts-- 745
Thanks---227
Thanked 292 Times in 182
Posts Mentioned 0 Post(s)

I am indeed humbled by your mighty self-appraisal of your infinite
intelligence and god-like qualities.
Tis' truly a great shame that your fellow members here all seem
to not see it, as is revealed by the stats that you cannot hide from!

I hope this isn't too many broken sentences, for your puny and
conceited little mind to comprehend..-Tyr

Black Diamond
12-14-2015, 11:09 AM
god-like abilities here.

Posts-- 745
Thanks---227
Thanked 292 Times in 182

:laugh:

Gunny
12-14-2015, 11:09 AM

Try quarterdeck watch on a naval vessel after everyone's been in port for the first time in a month. Cinderella Liberty (midnight for all E-5's and below) is REALLY fun. :laugh:

sundaydriver
12-14-2015, 11:14 AM
god-like abilities here.

Posts-- 745
Thanks---227
Thanked 292 Times in 182

Gee, I didn't realize it was a contest, my bad.

Maybe I could regale you and your friends with my exploits from 30 years ago with hundreds of posts of how tough I am to get my numbers up. :laugh:

Gunny
12-14-2015, 11:16 AM

The same applies to bolding or capitalizing words on a board. That's why I HATE being called a f-ing "Hero". The words "hero" and "superstar" have been so minimized by their overuse it ain't funny. And, ture to partisan form, the left are the ones that have done it. SOme people DO learn their lesson from history and they learned a damned good lesson from the backlash they got from Nam. They went 180 about "us troops".

I actually cuss more on the board than I do in real life. Of course, factor in I actually talk 90% more on the board than I do in real life.

sundaydriver
12-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Dad was a Marine DI during Korea passing along what he learned in the Pacific. He's 88 now and I have heard him use the F word twice. Both times in conversation alone with me and both times he was repeating "verbatim" something someone else had said. Cursing don't make you tough or right in normal conversation.

Gunny
12-14-2015, 11:46 AM
Dad was a Marine DI during Korea passing along what he learned in the Pacific. He's 88 now and I have heard him use the F word twice. Both times in conversation alone with me and both times he was repeating "verbatim" something someone else had said. Cursing don't make you tough or right in normal conversation.

I don't think it makes anyone tough, but plenty of people do. I've got who knows how many years of Honors English and 5 years of journalism under my belt. But when I'm with Marines, I talk like a Marine. And even if your dad didn't/doesn't, we all for the most part talk like sailors.

A lesson I learned from observing my brother was no one wanted him around because he was always (and still to this day) acting like he was smarter and better than everyone else. You have to know your audience. We wanted tp PLAY football. Not get a damned lesson on how we were supposed to from a know it all. And I'm not saying anything about your dad. I'm directing it more to communicating with who are trying to communicate to.

Black Diamond
12-14-2015, 11:49 AM
Dad was a Marine DI during Korea passing along what he learned in the Pacific. He's 88 now and I have heard him use the F word twice. Both times in conversation alone with me and both times he was repeating "verbatim" something someone else had said. Cursing don't make you tough or right in normal conversation.did he use the f word to recruits?

Gunny
12-14-2015, 12:09 PM
did he use the f word to recruits?

By regulation, you are not allowed to cuss at the pantywaists. And if he wasn't a Drill Instructor, he'd have no occasion to.

Now if you mean cussing AT subordinates, that's abusing your authority IMO unless you're making a specific point. Cussing WITH them when you're out drinking or whatever is entirely different.

You have to understand who you are talking to. There are 2 teenage girls that think I hate them when such is not the case. But my demeanor combined with not knowing WTF they're talking about kind of keeps me quiet. Why should I be scolded for not participating in a conversation which I know absolutely NOTHING about? And when I sit down in a restaurant to eat, guess what I want to do? It sure as hell ain't chitty-chatting about some lame-ass boys in a band when I got brisket in front of me.

I think it's honestly not just communications, but also a clash of cultures. And a matter of perception. Those around me think with their emotions. I don't. You can talk all day to someone that hears only what they want to and that's ALL they're going to hear.

Elessar
12-14-2015, 12:19 PM

Ohhh...I speak 5 languages: English, some French, Profane, Obscene, and Typonese!:laugh:

Gunny
12-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Ohhh...I speak 5 languages: English, some French, Profane, Obscene, and Typonese!:laugh:

I thought I spoke typonese but some upgrade (thanks to whoever the upgrade assholes are) has my computer acting like my phone. It changes my words. Annoys the crap out of me. I re-read some of posts and it's like :wtf:That's not what I typed. And trust me, I have to look at the keys to type so it ain't like I don't know what I posted.

jimnyc
12-14-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm a dirtbag. I curse at people for fun, when I'm mad, and again just to have fun. I curse a lot when I'm driving. I like to curse at liberals, because most are retarded, but at least they understand terms like "fuck off" and "you're a fucking idiot".

But generally, I know when to reel it in, know when to remain respectful, know when to lip it. My wife HATES when I curse, and gets REAL pissed if I slip in front of the kid, which is rare. I'm supposed to pay $1 every time I swear. I think I owe her millions!

Gunny
12-14-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm a dirtbag. I curse at people for fun, when I'm mad, and again just to have fun. I curse a lot when I'm driving. I like to curse at liberals, because most are retarded, but at least they understand terms like "fuck off" and "you're a fucking idiot".

But generally, I know when to reel it in, know when to remain respectful, know when to lip it. My wife HATES when I curse, and gets REAL pissed if I slip in front of the kid, which is rare. I'm supposed to pay $1 every time I swear. I think I owe her millions!

Adding driving in is cheating. I invent words for that shit. There are no rules when it comes to driving. I hate idiots on the road. Get off your f-ing phone, get out of my damned way, and get where you're f-ing going. I don't care if he's the cutest guy ever. Get off the damned road.

Black Diamond
12-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Adding driving in is cheating. I invent words for that shit. There are no rules when it comes to driving. I hate idiots on the road. Get off your f-ing phone, get out of my damned way, and get where you're f-ing going. I don't care if he's the cutest guy ever. Get off the damned road.
Yup. C'mon fuckstick. Move.

Gunny
12-14-2015, 12:37 PM
Yup. C'mon fuckstick. Move.

That light ain't gonna get no f-ing greener.

indago
12-14-2015, 03:11 PM
That light ain't gonna get no f-ing greener.

Reminds me of the definition of SPLIT SECOND

The time it takes for the guy behind you to honk his horn after the light turns green

Perianne
12-14-2015, 03:13 PM
I was coming home from work yesterday morning. I was in the fast lane traveling 55 in a 45 mile limit. Some guy in a pickup truck was tailgating me. I called him a poot sniffer. He made me angry.

Gunny
12-14-2015, 03:32 PM
Reminds me of the definition of SPLIT SECOND

The time it takes for the guy behind you to honk his horn after the light turns green

Nice try. I've never used a horn in any vehicle I've driven. And don't bother asking why. I have no idea, but I just never have.

Trigg
12-14-2015, 03:49 PM
I'm surprised nukeman hasn't joint this conversation. I persuaded him to give up cussing for lent one year. It made my day to hear him utter H...E...double hockey sticks :laugh:.

That boy has a terrible mouth on him.

Gunny
12-14-2015, 03:52 PM
I'm surprised nukeman hasn't joint this conversation. I persuaded him to give up cussing for lent one year. It made my day to hear him utter H...E...double hockey sticks :laugh:.

I always figured that @#$%^& for a closet cusser. :laugh:

Perianne
12-14-2015, 04:03 PM

Here is the trick: no favors for him if he says bad words.

Gunny
12-14-2015, 04:07 PM
Here is the trick: no favors for him if he says bad words.

I think Nuke can get himself in enough trouble with your help. After all, he's married to woman. You're guilty of something just for waking up. :laugh: