PDA

View Full Version : Domestic situations vs "being a good host"

darin
12-14-2015, 03:43 AM
Couple things going on - my kids' mom will visit us for 10 days starting friday. I face a struggle - this weekend i arranged a trip to a beautiful city and made the hotel arrangements. The closer i get to the event the worse i feel about it. See, the place is beautiful and romantic and i do not especially want to share that with Mom. Feels odd. I do not like us "looking" like a family and all that.

The conflict - if i stay home Mom rents a car and drives 2.5hrs via sometimes-confusing autobahn, to a city without english signage, and does it while shepparding two teens who are capable but not proficient in German.

Contributing factors: i am sick. Sinus infection x1 week but am only 50% well. Also have two pups who would stay most of two full days and one overnight alone in the house, my landlord - if shes willing - the only options to check in on them.

I could bring the dogs with us - but presents challenges in terms of navigating thru thousands of other tourists, and avoiding some of the attractions (museums, etc).

What to do....

Trigg
12-14-2015, 04:15 PM
If your goal is to make the visit as enjoyable and relaxing as possible, for the kids, you should do the trip as a group.

It doesn't really matter if others mistake you for a "family", you don't know these people and you'll never see them again.

The dogs present a dilemma, but you're a smart guy, you'll figure it out.

Gunny
12-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Couple things going on - my kids' mom will visit us for 10 days starting friday. I face a struggle - this weekend i arranged a trip to a beautiful city and made the hotel arrangements. The closer i get to the event the worse i feel about it. See, the place is beautiful and romantic and i do not especially want to share that with Mom. Feels odd. I do not like us "looking" like a family and all that.

The conflict - if i stay home Mom rents a car and drives 2.5hrs via sometimes-confusing autobahn, to a city without english signage, and does it while shepparding two teens who are capable but not proficient in German.

Contributing factors: i am sick. Sinus infection x1 week but am only 50% well. Also have two pups who would stay most of two full days and one overnight alone in the house, my landlord - if shes willing - the only options to check in on them.

I could bring the dogs with us - but presents challenges in terms of navigating thru thousands of other tourists, and avoiding some of the attractions (museums, etc).

What to do....

Be nice and think about the kids, not the mom. Whether or not you want to be within shooting distance of her, she is STILL their mom. Just don't give her any ideas about you if you don't want to have any. I DO however find her motives curious. Free place to stay in Germany?

Elessar
12-14-2015, 06:32 PM
Be nice and think about the kids, not the mom. Whether or not you want to be within shooting distance of her, she is STILL their mom. Just don't give her any ideas about you if you don't want to have any. I DO however find her motives curious. Free place to stay in Germany?

I gotta agree with Gunny.

It should be about the kids.

Give her a cot and blanket.

Russ
12-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Just do it. You will feel better about it in the end.

hjmick
12-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Leave mom at home with the kids and the dogs (I'm guessing she's there to see the kids anyway, right?), find yourself a cute little fräulein and take her to the romantic retreat...

Abbey Marie
12-14-2015, 08:29 PM
Cancel the hotel in another town, reserve a room near your place for your ex, and take day trips in the area. Go on this trip after she leaves. All problems solved; especially the dogs.

Good problems, though. D. :cool: