PDA

View Full Version : If you're old enough to join the military...

Black Diamond
12-14-2015, 11:27 AM
You're old enough to drink alcohol..

Discuss.

CSM
12-14-2015, 11:32 AM

Discuss.

OMG!!! If we let all those trained killers drink alcohol (regardless of age) they will run around slaughtering us all!

Gunny
12-14-2015, 11:35 AM

Discuss.

They do. At least in the Navy/Marine Corps. Drinking age is there is no drinking age. Federal law is 18. It's the states that make it 21.

Elessar
12-14-2015, 11:43 AM
They do. At least in the Navy/Marine Corps. Drinking age is there is no drinking age. Federal law is 18. It's the states that make it 21.

Quite so, and all the branches will honor state law, even if it
seems a bit harsh.

We all have an image to maintain, and violating a state law
would tarnish it.

Black Diamond
12-14-2015, 11:45 AM
But should the drinking age in all states be 18, and 17 with adult supervision, given you can join military at same age?

Black Diamond
12-14-2015, 11:47 AM
The argument seems to go like this: I'm old enough to die for my country but not old enough to drink?

Gunny
12-14-2015, 11:51 AM
Quite so, and all the branches will honor state law, even if it
seems a bit harsh.

We all have an image to maintain, and violating a state law
would tarnish it.

Not a LOT of sarcasm dripping off THAT comment. :laugh:

aboutime
12-14-2015, 07:28 PM
From purely the point of an experienced, admitted Alcoholic. I never took a drink before I joined the Navy in 1964. And, at 17, I admit, I did so knowing what the consequences of being under the influence, and in uniform, or not in uniform could mean for my navy advancement, and service record.

Consequently. Do I blame being in the navy, and in uniform for becoming an alcoholic??? YES!

And to prove it. The opportunity to drink outweighed the optional opportunity....NOT TO DRINK.

I have been DRY for almost 30 years now. But I would happily, and easily be convinced to start again. But I have this ongoing problem. I Like being alive to enjoy being with my wife, our sons, and our Beautiful Grandchildren.
Bottom line. Some people can drink, and some people ABUSE it.

red state
12-14-2015, 08:45 PM

Discuss.

I don't drink (now) but I have always got a bit riled when or if those in uniform ever got carded (and/or denied). Then again, there are those clever enough to mimic our BEST (as AT has pointed out many times) so my main concern over law issues is to change the subject a bit and DEMAND that future CiC candidates have an honorable military background. That concerns me more but it is likely to never be changed....just as we are never going to see a fair tax or something that makes more sense.

Personally, I've never witnessed a soldier being checked or denied here in the great State of Mississippi.

Gunny
12-14-2015, 09:21 PM
From purely the point of an experienced, admitted Alcoholic. I never took a drink before I joined the Navy in 1964. And, at 17, I admit, I did so knowing what the consequences of being under the influence, and in uniform, or not in uniform could mean for my navy advancement, and service record.

Consequently. Do I blame being in the navy, and in uniform for becoming an alcoholic??? YES!

And to prove it. The opportunity to drink outweighed the optional opportunity....NOT TO DRINK.

I have been DRY for almost 30 years now. But I would happily, and easily be convinced to start again. But I have this ongoing problem. I Like being alive to enjoy being with my wife, our sons, and our Beautiful Grandchildren.

And those of us wise enough to know the difference and the price, do what we have to do. My grandfather had a 4 way heart bypass and quit smoking. He told me he wanted a cigarette every morning noon and night. I want a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 so bad I can taste it. It means death.

And if anyone needs any help with addiction, some of us can point you in the right direction. This is where I actually get on a soapbox. It's help or lose everything.

Black Diamond
12-14-2015, 11:25 PM
And those of us wise enough to know the difference and the price, do what we have to do. My grandfather had a 4 way heart bypass and quit smoking. He told me he wanted a cigarette every morning noon and night. I want a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 so bad I can taste it. It means death.

And if anyone needs any help with addiction, some of us can point you in the right direction. This is where I actually get on a soapbox. It's help or lose everything.

Is wild turkey worse than jack?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-14-2015, 11:49 PM

Long ago, in my youth when drinking whiskey I preferred, Ancient Age or Old Charter.
Truth is , after the first stiff drink goes down , didnt really matter as long as it was not the cheapest rot-gut brand.
Hell, I drank Fighting Cock, a very harsh biting whiskey, when a teenager as it was the cheapest and the going fav that summer in 1970.... Had a higher alcohol content too. More bang for the buck.
Now I only drink a single good cold beer every few months .. Moderation being the key..

On topic, I hold that 18 years old should be legal if in military service, otherwise 21 ....
Always true that some people should never start.
I have an alcoholic brother, Ronald--his twin Donald is not an alcoholic. -Tyr

red state
12-15-2015, 08:56 AM

My grandfather (long gone now) said he had a drinking problem during his youth and during WWII but I never once saw him or detected that he had EVER had a drink. I believe his will power is strong like mine and although I've had dependency issues or abusive or damaging times in my life.....I've never been slave to them (including food, women and temper). It has been hard to deal with anger and such things, and I still hit the pipe occasionally but that has been put under the thumb for the most part. My grandfather was a chain smoker, I did witness this growing up but after his second major heart attack, gave it up for Beachnut or Red Man chewing tobacco. I suppose it is in our genes and, as I've said before, we all have weakness within us to certain things corrupt, VILE or abusive.

Thanks for that, AT....as well as the rest of you for sharing. This forum is full of fantastic folks with important things to pass on to the next guy.

red state
12-15-2015, 09:14 AM
Long ago, in my youth when drinking whiskey I preferred, Ancient Age or Old Charter.
Truth is , after the first stiff drink goes down , didnt really matter as long as it was not the cheapest rot-gut brand.
Hell, I drank Fighting Cock, a very harsh biting whiskey, when a teenager as it was the cheapest and the going fav that summer in 1970.... Had a higher alcohol content too. More bang for the buck.
Now I only drink a single good cold beer every few months .. Moderation being the key..

On topic, I hold that 18 years old should be legal if in military service, otherwise 21 ....

If it becomes too much of a hassle or career problem for our military youth......the gov. should probably start hitting on them when they are 21. I don't have a problem with recruiters coming to schools BUT I do have a problem with them signing folks up without the parent when they are (LEGAL OR NOT) at an impressionable age and truly not 'adults'. In no way was I an "adult" at 21 for pete's sake. Again, I've NEVER seen a young person in uniform get carded here in Mississippi but if it is a problem elsewhere....an age increase for military service may be the ticket. At 25, I was mentally and physically in my prime so if this is the case, the military would still have 21 - 30 year-olds for some mean, lean fighting machines *(with more smarts and respect about them) and not some young, brazen punk with an attitude (as I was at 18).

Tyr, who'd you rather hunt with, I young, GREEN punk or someone with a bit more maturity about them? You military guys may have a different answer to this (and for good reasons) but I believe I'd MUCH rather have someone with a bit less OATS running around in their head. It gives me more time to focus on GAME (or the enemy) and less time worrying about pulling a youth out of a bad situation or someone accidentally getting shot.

Gunny
12-15-2015, 09:16 AM

It's 101 proof. And I don't use a mixer. Straight out of the bottle.

red state
12-15-2015, 09:22 AM

Only way to do it, Gunny. I have some above the venta-hood sitting along side some 100% proof vodka. I made some deer jerky and tried a little of all three as a "special ingredient". Could resist in turning it up and I was surprised that it didn't effect me one little bit. I suppose it is like riding a bike....HA!!! Will have to make some REAL GOOD nog before too long though. That's the only time I "mix" or mess-up good spirits.

Gunny
12-15-2015, 09:35 AM

The age is irrelevant to me. It's the person. And I don't know all the answers to being alcoholic. In my case, I didn't drink for years because of my kids. Then I socially drank, but mostly just beer and only if I was out. Then it was a pint of Jack in the garage. And it just kept going. Now, I can't drink at all because once I start I won't stop. It took me 50 years to get there. I knew Marines from the time I joined the Corps that were full-blown at our age (20s then) and I never could understand it. I watched one MSgt (E-8) make it all the way back down to LCpl (E-3) because he just couldn't or actually in his case wouldn't stop.

For all the good it's going to do, my suggestion is don't drink at all. When you wake up, all the problems are still there. And it can cost you everything you have.

Gunny
12-15-2015, 09:50 AM
If it becomes too much of a hassle or career problem for our military youth......the gov. should probably start hitting on them when they are 21. I don't have a problem with recruiters coming to schools BUT I do have a problem with them signing folks up without the parent when they are (LEGAL OR NOT) at an impressionable age and truly not 'adults'. In no way was I an "adult" at 21 for pete's sake. Again, I've NEVER seen a young person in uniform get carded here in Mississippi but if it is a problem elsewhere....an age increase for military service may be the ticket. At 25, I was mentally and physically in my prime so if this is the case, the military would still have 21 - 30 year-olds for some mean, lean fighting machines *(with more smarts and respect about them) and not some young, brazen punk with an attitude (as I was at 18).

Tyr, who'd you rather hunt with, I young, GREEN punk or someone with a bit more maturity about them? You military guys may have a different answer to this (and for good reasons) but I believe I'd MUCH rather have someone with a bit less OATS running around in their head. It gives me more time to focus on GAME (or the enemy) and less time worrying about pulling a youth out of a bad situation or someone accidentally getting shot.

When does one become an adult though? The way kids are today might want to up that to 30. I was more responsible when I was 6 than a LOT of what I see around me today. I used used to look at the Marines around me after I was senior enlisted and think "what a bunch of p*ssies". Acted like they were doing me some big favor by showing up to work. Our society is responsible for THAT mess.

Not sure I agree on raising the age of enlistment anymore than raising the age of drinking. Maybe we ought to get back to thinking about raising our kids to be responsible and holding THEM accountable for their actions.

Gunny
12-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Only way to do it, Gunny. I have some above the venta-hood sitting along side some 100% proof vodka. I made some deer jerky and tried a little of all three as a "special ingredient". Could resist in turning it up and I was surprised that it didn't effect me one little bit. I suppose it is like riding a bike....HA!!! Will have to make some REAL GOOD nog before too long though. That's the only time I "mix" or mess-up good spirits.

LMAO. No, it's actually NOT the way to do it. I got some cousins 'round your way that seem to always have some of that clear stuff that comes in plastic milk jugs around. I think it manufactures itself up in a holler and brings itself down to them. :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-15-2015, 08:31 PM

I've ever liked hunting with a greenie. Stopped doing that decades ago.
I had no hankering to be all shot up by a fool..
I hunted by myself with an old single shot 22 caliber rifle at age 6...
Never accidentally shot anything in my long life. By age nine in 1963, I had killed many hundreds of squirrels, rabbits doves/quail, all for food--none wasted..
I never saw a farm boy in these parts that wasn't shooting very damn well by age 10!
Tis' not like that now, very very few kill game to eat to survive these days. We did and we had to back then.-Tyr

Gunny
12-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Never accidentally shot anything in my long life. By age nine in 1963, I had killed many hundreds of squirrels, rabbits doves/quail, all for food--none wasted..
I never saw a farm boy in these parts that wasn't shooting very damn well by age 10!
Tis' not like that now, very very few kill game to eat to survive these days. We did and we had to back then.-Tyr

Should try taking 80 of them at a time to the rifle range. Jesus H Christ. You wonder why you always see Drill Instructors BEHIND the privates in movies? Same goes in real life. bubba. :laugh:

red state
12-15-2015, 10:15 PM
LMAO. No, it's actually NOT the way to do it. I got some cousins 'round your way that seem to always have some of that clear stuff that comes in plastic milk jugs around. I think it manufactures itself up in a holler and brings itself down to them. :laugh:

Yep, got some of that as well, Gunny.

My son got it for a Christmas gift last year and we've had only a touch here and there. It made pretty darn good deer jerky so I'll probably see if it make good nog. HA!!!! Ours isn't in a milk jug, however, We believe in mason jars around here. Come to think of it, I have a whole lotta mason jars full of home-made muskadine wine. I hadn't made any in over 20 years so I'm seeing how outta practice I am. My grandpa taught me how to make three levels of wine and I was pretty darn good at it back in the day. He taught me how to make bows and all kind of good stuff. I'll let you know how the wine turns out. I have soda pop level, wine level and HARD level. It is all how you do it and I never put water in it or any kind of yeast. I believe they call it old world way.

red state
12-15-2015, 10:22 PM

No brag...just fact, but my son is one of the best shots I've seen (in real life or on TV shows like Top Shot). I knew he was good but DANG! I wish ya'll could see. He is now popping soda lids at 80 yards with his new PSE and I may have told you this, Tyr, but last year when we got a wild hair to go squirrelin', he popped a limb to limber before I could get a shot with my shotgun........and he was with a single shot rifle. The blame thing never stopped and he connected with one, quick shot. He's 22 or 23 now (I forget) but I remember when he was just 10 and landed on in on a buck chasing two doe at over 150 steps. ONE, quick shot with his Browning, Stainless Stalker 30.06. Bow, sidearm, rifle or shotgun.....that boy is good!!!! I say boy.....he IS a man now.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-15-2015, 10:56 PM
No brag...just fact, but my son is one of the best shots I've seen (in real life or on TV shows like Top Shot). I knew he was good but DANG! I wish ya'll could see. He is now popping soda lids at 80 yards with his new PSE and I may have told you this, Tyr, but last year when we got a wild hair to go squirrelin', he popped a limb to limber before I could get a shot with my shotgun........and he was with a single shot rifle. The blame thing never stopped and he connected with one, quick shot. He's 22 or 23 now (I forget) but I remember when he was just 10 and landed on in on a buck chasing two doe at over 150 steps. ONE, quick shot with his Browning, Stainless Stalker 30.06. Bow, sidearm, rifle or shotgun.....that boy is good!!!! I say boy.....he IS a man now.

Iffin you raise 'em right like that, bragging about 'em sho' ain't no sin my friend!
My dad always irked my older brothers when he'd say, that youngin there, Robert -he is the best shot of all those boys and he is barely ten years old.
Of course he was stretching it a bit as I didn't make that mark until age twelve when I could easily out-shoot Jessie who was 18 then and he a few months later heading into the Army.
None of them could touch me in archery by time I was ten years old, just natural ability and keener eyes methinks on that.
But , man did it piss 'em off. lol --Tyr

Gunny
12-15-2015, 11:21 PM
Yep, got some of that as well, Gunny.

My son got it for a Christmas gift last year and we've had only a touch here and there. It made pretty darn good deer jerky so I'll probably see if it make good nog. HA!!!! Ours isn't in a milk jug, however, We believe in mason jars around here. Come to think of it, I have a whole lotta mason jars full of home-made muskadine wine. I hadn't made any in over 20 years so I'm seeing how outta practice I am. My grandpa taught me how to make three levels of wine and I was pretty darn good at it back in the day. He taught me how to make bows and all kind of good stuff. I'll let you know how the wine turns out. I have soda pop level, wine level and HARD level. It is all how you do it and I never put water in it or any kind of yeast. I believe they call it old world way.

One of those knuckleheads gave it to my ex. Oh my God. Here's my ex running across the deck with fins on to jump in the pool. I'm like why are you idiots feeding this yankee shine? I just got a punch in the arm and was told "SUck it up Mr Marine. You're the one that married her". I'm like yeah, and I'm the one that has to go home with her ass too. :laugh:

darin
12-16-2015, 01:57 AM
"drunk kids" defeated Communism in Europe - Soldiers have been drinking here, regardless of age, since the beginning.

"drunk kids" are holding-off North Korea - Soldiers there 19 and up have been drinking since the beginning.

(shrug).

If you JOIN the Military, every state should suspend the age 21 requirement. If you are too big of a chicken to join, or otherwise can't - 21 works for me.

We screwed ourselves by making it 21 in the first place - puritanical roots run deep in the formative years of our nation - not just the early years.

Gunny
12-16-2015, 12:38 PM
"drunk kids" defeated Communism in Europe - Soldiers have been drinking here, regardless of age, since the beginning.

"drunk kids" are holding-off North Korea - Soldiers there 19 and up have been drinking since the beginning.

(shrug).

If you JOIN the Military, every state should suspend the age 21 requirement. If you are too big of a chicken to join, or otherwise can't - 21 works for me.

We screwed ourselves by making it 21 in the first place - puritanical roots run deep in the formative years of our nation - not just the early years.

The 1980s were a bit past the "formative years". 1980 or so is when they raised the age. I'd have been screwed. I worked in a bar for 2 1/2 years, then went to CA and told I wasn't old enough to drink. :wtf:That was in 1980. Fortunately, that lasted only 2 months and I turned 21. The drinking age until then was 18 in most states. And IIRC, it's still 18 as Federal law. Since drinking age is determined by state law, once outside CONUS, it's on.

And honestly, nobody gives a rat's ass once you're outside the states. I personally have no problem with "If you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to drink it". The age got boosted when those MADD twats got their special interest group rolling. Ruin it for everyone for the acts of a few.

red state
12-16-2015, 02:26 PM
One of those knuckleheads gave it to my ex. Oh my God. Here's my ex running across the deck with fins on to jump in the pool. I'm like why are you idiots feeding this yankee shine? I just got a punch in the arm and was told "SUck it up Mr Marine. You're the one that married her". I'm like yeah, and I'm the one that has to go home with her ass too. :laugh:

:lol::clap::lol::lol::clap:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Yep....SHINE ain't for no Yank! HA! What-r-u doing hitchin' up to a YANK for anywho!? Especially when we got all these SWEET THANGS down here!? She's probably a knock-out (or was) but I hope it ya'll are still hooked up that she is buck-toothed, fat and MEAN as a back-yard dog *(just as punishment for marrying outside your RACE). HA!!!!

red state
12-16-2015, 02:37 PM
Iffin you raise 'em right like that, bragging about 'em sho' ain't no sin my friend!
My dad always irked my older brothers when he'd say, that youngin there, Robert -he is the best shot of all those boys and he is barely ten years old.
Of course he was stretching it a bit as I didn't make that mark until age twelve when I could easily out-shoot Jessie who was 18 then and he a few months later heading into the Army.
None of them could touch me in archery by time I was ten years old, just natural ability and keener eyes methinks on that.
But , man did it piss 'em off. lol --Tyr

Tyr, you are correct....I did raise him RIGHT but I can take only the training as credit to his morals and SHOOTING. I am losing my eyesite YET I"m shooting better than I have EVER shot in my life (as far as archery goes). My son, like you, is simply a natural and I take NO credit there. He's tall, strong and extremely steady with a VERY keen eye. If anyone doubts my claim, I don't blame them but I would invite them for a hunt or a shoot out. He is truly that good and UNLIKE your brothers, I've never grown angry (EVER) over his abilities.....just envious. He truly could have represented US well in the Olympics. He brought his Samick Sage to a friend's cook out and they asked: "What's in the lil' toy case?" It is a take down recurve that fits in a 1'x2" or somewhere smaller. He pulled it out and they didn't scoff long before he was out shooting them (with state-of-the-art PSE compounds) at 30 & 40 yards. One boy asked where his range finder was. My son simply replied: "Same place my sites are......UP HERE." as he pointed to his top notch. HA!!!! What's bad is that he's an extremely good lookin' rascal and has a problem on dates cuz the waitresses flirt right in front of his date.....he's even gotten quite a few numbers snuck to him on a date. HA! We were in Illinois a few weeks ago and MAN were those ugly yankee women all over him. He's now dating a gal that also shoots traditional. I hope it lasts.....

At any rate, I've always been a decent shot but it always came through long hours, much shooting and a lot of discipline (as I'm "trigger happy"). My son can beat me on any day even when I've been shooting daily and he's not shot in months. If I were a weaker man, that would really annoy the HELL outta me. HA!!!!!!

Gunny
12-16-2015, 02:41 PM
:lol::clap::lol::lol::clap:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Yep....SHINE ain't for no Yank! HA! What-r-u doing hitchin' up to a YANK for anywho!? Especially when we got all these SWEET THANGS down here!? She's probably a knock-out (or was) but I hope it ya'll are still hooked up that she is buck-toothed, fat and MEAN as a back-yard dog *(just as punishment for marrying outside your RACE). HA!!!!

Asswipe. No it hasn't worked out. My wives and GF's have all been hot. Might be the problem. I used to smoke with this Navy Chief who said all he wanted was a fat woman with a flat head and no teeth. He said at least they appreciate you and you can set your beer on their head. :laugh2:

red state
12-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Gunny, dad-gum your time.....I'm sitting here (on break) sippin' on some fresh pineapple juice and 100%. Our little conversations made me thirsty.

I know I agreed that the best way is RIGHT out of the bottle but I was innocently pouring some juice and got the wild notion to try a simple mix (with 3 ice cubes). I need not say that:

IT's GGGGGggggggGGGGGggggOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooddddDDDD DDDDDddddddddd!!!!!! on this dreary, wet day in the Memphis areas. Ha!!

I also said that I don't drink but dangit, it is the Holidays and I just built a fire and was ready for the "mood" as I type and look at the tree in the office.

Gunny
12-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Gunny, dad-gum your time.....I'm sitting here (on break) sippin' on some fresh pineapple juice and 100%. Our little conversations made me thirsty.

I know I agreed that the best way is RIGHT out of the bottle but I was innocently pouring some juice and got the wild notion to try a simple mix (with 3 ice cubes). I need not say that:

IT's GGGGGggggggGGGGGggggOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooddddDDDD DDDDDddddddddd!!!!!! on this dreary, wet day in the Memphis areas. Ha!!

I also said that I don't drink but dangit, it is the Holidays and I just built a fire and was ready for the "mood" as I type and look at the tree in the office.

I don't have a problem with people drinking. Doesn't phase me. I can't. It's that simple. I am kind of pissed you drove all the way here and bought up the freakin' firewood though. Could have left two bundles at least. Greedy f*cker. It's cold here too, y'know ....

Black Diamond
12-16-2015, 02:56 PM
I don't have a problem with people drinking. Doesn't phase me. I can't. It's that simple. I am kind of pissed you drove all the way here and bought up the freakin' firewood though. Could have left two bundles at least. Greedy f*cker. It's cold here too, y'know ....
Can you have one beer? Is it alcohol period?

Gunny
12-16-2015, 03:06 PM
Can you have one beer? Is it alcohol period?

I'm an alcoholic. I can't drink period. If I start again, I won't stop. Think I've lost enough to that crap. A glass of sweet tea works just fine. :)

Perianne
12-16-2015, 03:19 PM
There is evidence that alcohol and drugs cause the brain to be rewired. At a certain point, addicts and alcoholics cannot resist the allure of their "medicine". The only relief is to avoid the alcohol or drugs forever.

I can drink alcohol whenever I want without any problems. I don't though. With my recent pinched nerve, I took narcotics. They caused me to have GI upset and made me feel bad. I am not fond of narcotics.

Alcoholism and drug addiction is proof (to me) that the devil exists.

Lest any of us think of ourselves as superior, we all have demons.

Jeff
12-16-2015, 03:25 PM

I like the clear stuff, made way back in the woods, usually starts proof. :alcoholic:

Gunny
12-16-2015, 05:06 PM
There is evidence that alcohol and drugs cause the brain to be rewired. At a certain point, addicts and alcoholics cannot resist the allure of their "medicine". The only relief is to avoid the alcohol or drugs forever.

I can drink alcohol whenever I want without any problems. I don't though. With my recent pinched nerve, I took narcotics. They caused me to have GI upset and made me feel bad. I am not fond of narcotics.

Doesn't cause the brain to be rewired. An addict is an addict from the start and the addiction depends on the person. You rewire your own damned brain to revolve your life around your addiction(s). It isn't inherent nor is it som chemical process. It's a thought process. Yes, you CAN become physically addicted which is a whole 'nother matter. You get the latter by following the former.

Perianne
12-16-2015, 05:10 PM

Doesn't cause the brain to be rewired. An addict is an addict from the start and the addiction depends on the person. You rewire your own damned brain to revolve your life around your addiction(s). It isn't inherent nor is it som chemical process. It's a thought process. Yes, you CAN become physically addicted which is a whole 'nother matter. You get the latter by following the former.

Well, okay then.

Gunny
12-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Well, okay then.

No reason to be offended. We all have are own answers and none are proven. The one answer that is a constant is becoming addicted SUCKS. I don't see a real rhyme nor reason to who and why. From my POV, it's about gradually sinking in without noticing it and it's a state of mind for me. When no one's around and I think no one cares, it's like who gives a crap? It's like nothing matters so who cares if I'm drunk and minding my own damned business?

The physical part takes about 5 days to get over. Trust me. I'm an expert at repeating stopping drinking. Used to do it once a month for a couple of years. I'm too hard headed to quit quitting. :)

Perianne
12-16-2015, 05:38 PM
No reason to be offended. We all have are own answers and none are proven. The one answer that is a constant is becoming addicted SUCKS. I don't see a real rhyme nor reason to who and why. From my POV, it's about gradually sinking in without noticing it and it's a state of mind for me. When no one's around and I think no one cares, it's like who gives a crap? It's like nothing matters so who cares if I'm drunk and minding my own damned business?

The physical part takes about 5 days to get over. Trust me. I'm an expert at repeating stopping drinking. Used to do it once a month for a couple of years. I'm too hard headed to quit quitting. :)

I am proud of you for the fight to overcome alcohol, sir.

Gunny
12-16-2015, 06:24 PM
I am proud of you for the fight to overcome alcohol, sir.

I wasn't really looking for that. Emotion is NOT my strong suit. Feel proud for EVERYONE who battles their demons each day and wins. We get to get up and do it again tomorrow. One day at a time. And I'm not the only one here, but it's their business if they want to speak out or not. I didn't mean for this to turn into an AA meeting. I respect each and every one that has beaten their addiction(s) for being able to do so.

And thank you.

aboutime
12-16-2015, 06:29 PM
We sorta lost the original topic of this thread. And, I will not repeat my previous discussions about Alcohol.

The question has been discussed for more than one-hundred years, and nothing has changed.

We must all remember the differences between the definitions of LEGAL, and ILLEGAL (as in drinking). When it becomes LEGAL for underage Americans...civilian, or military. Then it will be Legal. Until then It is Illegal.

Perianne
12-16-2015, 06:31 PM
I wasn't really looking for that. Emotion is NOT my strong suit. Feel proud for EVERYONE who battles their demons each day and wins. We get to get up and do it again tomorrow. One day at a time. And I'm not the only one here, but it's their business if they want to speak out or not. I didn't mean for this to turn into an AA meeting. I respect each and every one that has beaten their addiction(s) for being able to do so.

And thank you.

Gunny, I have never had such demons in my life. I have had countless patients who have had them and even though every story is different, they are all really the same. I always engage my addicted patients about their stories. They all need to talk to someone who cares. Emotion or not, we all need others. That is why we are all here... to engage with other people. So if the conversation drifts toward your alcoholism, then so be it. I am here to listen and I feel honored when someone shares their addition/alcoholism stories with me.

I have my own demons brought on by abuse from others. Maybe I will start a thread about such demons. Believe me, we all have some.

Gunny
12-16-2015, 07:28 PM
Gunny, I have never had such demons in my life. I have had countless patients who have had them and even though every story is different, they are all really the same. I always engage my addicted patients about their stories. They all need to talk to someone who cares. Emotion or not, we all need others. That is why we are all here... to engage with other people. So if the conversation drifts toward your alcoholism, then so be it. I am here to listen and I feel honored when someone shares their addition/alcoholism stories with me.

I have my own demons brought on by abuse from others. Maybe I will start a thread about such demons. Believe me, we all have some.

The thing is, this isn't about me and I never meant it to be. I shared an experience. If one single person learns from it, I accomplished my mission. I'm not proud of myself and people on the internet that think everything is all about them get on my last nerve. Our entire society has a complete lack of understanding and consideration for others nowadays. Shallow people. Bitch about the symptom but don't address the disease.

For someone to call for others to get back on topic that individuak might want to look at how many threads he's jacked the f*ck up with his petty-ass, jealous pissing contests.

The laws are stupid. They don't address the individual. They blanket the majority who don't pull stupid crap. And ther are a lot of laws to address. Who thinks a 16 years old driver is less responsible than an 18 years old driver? I can't buy a revolver until I'm 21 but I could buy a Colt Army .44 when I was 16? Guess which one will do more damage. That .44 ball will blow a hole in you that you ain't gonna fix.

Again, it's the person, not the law.

aboutime
12-16-2015, 08:01 PM
The thing is, this isn't about me and I never meant it to be. I shared an experience. If one single person learns from it, I accomplished my mission. I'm not proud of myself and people on the internet that think everything is all about them get on my last nerve. Our entire society has a complete lack of understanding and consideration for others nowadays. Shallow people. Bitch about the symptom but don't address the disease.

For someone to call for others to get back on topic that individuak might want to look at how many threads he's jacked the f*ck up with his petty-ass, jealous pissing contests.

The laws are stupid. They don't address the individual. They blanket the majority who don't pull stupid crap. And ther are a lot of laws to address. Who thinks a 16 years old driver is less responsible than an 18 years old driver? I can't buy a revolver until I'm 21 but I could buy a Colt Army .44 when I was 16? Guess which one will do more damage. That .44 ball will blow a hole in you that you ain't gonna fix.

Again, it's the person, not the law.

Feel better gunny? I didn't make anything about you. You did. Piss off.

Gunny
12-16-2015, 10:03 PM
Feel better gunny? I didn't make anything about you. You did. Piss off.

I didn't make it about me and repeatedly said so. Who the Hell else's experiences am I supposed to talk about? Yours? Gee, I think the only ones I have are my own. You don't know me but you know me well enough to back the fuck down. I don't ask for any quarter and I damned sure don't give any.

You'd piss on someone's coconut cream pie just to be a dick. At least I'd have a reason for doing it. You do it because you're still breathing.

aboutime
12-16-2015, 10:11 PM
I didn't make it about me and repeatedly said so. Who the Hell else's experiences am I supposed to talk about? Yours? Gee, I think the only ones I have are my own. You don't know me but you know me well enough to back the fuck down. I don't ask for any quarter and I damned sure don't give any.

You'd piss on someone's coconut cream pie just to be a dick. At least I'd have a reason for doing it. You do it because you're still breathing.

I'll leave you alone. It seems you are having a problem understanding what I wrote. All of the name calling, and whining talk from a fellow veteran who always has to challenge others is BENEATH A REAL MARINE.
End of Transmission.

Gunny
12-16-2015, 10:40 PM
I'll leave you alone. It seems you are having a problem understanding what I wrote. All of the name calling, and whining talk from a fellow veteran who always has to challenge others is BENEATH A REAL MARINE.
End of Transmission.

I have no problem understanding a damned thing and I damned sure don't get my little feelings hurt and threaten to leave aka beg me to stay, then not leave. I just quit logging on. Works like a charm. And I don't spend my entire time pissing on everyone else's parades. I may disagree with someone in one thread and get along with them in the next. You're the biggest sourpuss I've ever listened to. I'd just love to be stuck on a ship with your whiny ass for 6 months. :rolleyes:

You'd have avoided me like the rest of the squids did though. I'm not all mouth like you. You'd think twice about running that suck if you were standing in front of me. There's NOTHING nice about me.

Perianne
12-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Guys, please quit. I love both of you and hate seeing you fight. FWIW, it was my fault the thread got messed up.

Black Diamond
12-16-2015, 11:14 PM
Guys, please quit. I love both of you and hate seeing you fight. FWIW, it was my fault the thread got messed up.

Not your fault. I know that much

red state
12-16-2015, 11:20 PM
Asswipe. No it hasn't worked out. My wives and GF's have all been hot. Might be the problem. I used to smoke with this Navy Chief who said all he wanted was a fat woman with a flat head and no teeth. He said at least they appreciate you and you can set your beer on their head. :laugh2:

You ever here that song: "Marry You An UGLY Girl"? It is fantastic and full of wisdom. I'll try and post it to you if you like. Those White Lightning boys in the Smoky Mountains sing it.....I forget their name but they sing LIVE in that really nice WL store on the Gatlinburg strip.

gabosaurus
12-17-2015, 12:20 AM
Let's just require everyone to be 21 years old in order to join the military. :cool:

Gunny
12-17-2015, 12:33 AM
Not your fault. I know that much

That is quite correct. AT takes pot shots at me every time he thinks he sees an opening and it's been long before Perianne came along. Fact is, he's so-called friends with people that have seen my ID card and DD 214 yet gets on here and questions my service. So THAT is a fucking lie on his part.

I ain't backing down to no damned REMF.

gabosaurus
12-17-2015, 12:44 AM
That is quite correct. AT takes pot shots at me every time he thinks he sees an opening and it's been long before Perianne came along. Fact is, he's so-called friends with people that have seen my ID card and DD 214 yet gets on here and questions my service.

I think we have discussed this point before. Any debate that pits a Marine who led men into battle and guy who spent his career sitting on a boat is going to have a predictable ending.
It's the eternal battle between the man who sucks up to everyone and the man who backs down to no one.