PDA

View Full Version : Heretical Trump

Perianne
12-15-2015, 10:43 AM
For the faux conservatives who might read this, it is heresy to criticize Antonin Scalia. Donald Trump came very close.

In oral arguments last week concerning affirmative action (Fisher v. University of Texas) the great Justice Antonin Scalia stated that affirmative action actually hurts the lower-gifted black students and that they might be better off if they attended a less-prestigious school.

The Supreme Court on Friday released audio of controversial comments made by Justice Antonin Scalia suggesting that some African-Americans might be better off at "less-advanced"universities, language that has caused a national uproar and spurred condemnation from elected officials including Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid and Rep. John Lewis.

"There are those who contend that it does not benefit African-Americans to get them into the University of Texas where they do not do well, as opposed to having them go to a less-advanced school, a slower-track school where they do well," Scalia said Wednesday during oral arguments in a case involving a race-conscious college admissions plan. The 79-year-old justice, speaking to a hushed courtroom, then referenced a friend-of-the-court brief filed in the case. "One of the briefs pointed out that most of the black scientists in this country don't come from schools like the University of Texas," he said, "they come from lesser schools where they do not feel that they're being pushed ahead in classes that are too fast for them."
Scalia said he wasn't "impressed" that the University of Texas may have fewer African Americans. "Maybe it ought to have fewer. And maybe some -- you know, when you take more, the number of blacks, really competent blacks admitted to lesser schools, turns out to be less."

When asked about Scalia's remarks, "conservative" Donald Trump stated:

“I thought his remarks were very tough,” Trump said of Scalia in an interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper that aired Sunday.
“They were very, very tough to a certain community,” the Republican front-runner continued. “I thought it was very tough to the African-American community.”

For this near-heresy, my previous 30-40% support of Trump has dropped to less than 5%.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/11/politics/supreme-court-antonin-scalia-african-americans-audio/index.html
http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/13/donald-trump-hits-scalia-over-affirmative-action-remarks-video/#ixzz3uP8ALIff

Perianne
02-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Trump's statement regarding Scalia:

DONALD J. TRUMP STATEMENT ON JUSTICE SCALIAI would like to offer my sincerest condolences to the Scalia family after the passing of Justice Scalia. Justice Scalia was a remarkable person and a brilliant Supreme Court Justice, one of the best of all time. His career was defined by his reverence for the Constitution and his legacy of protecting Americans’ most cherished freedoms. He was a Justice who did not believe in legislating from the bench and he is a person whom I held in the highest regard and will always greatly respect his intelligence and conviction to uphold the Constitution of our country. My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this time.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-statement-on-justice-scalia