PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter

Trigg
07-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Took the kids to see the new movie today and it was pretty good. My daughter had read the book and although they left out plenty she thought it followed the book better than the last movie.

So thumbs up from them.

Kathianne
07-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Took the kids to see the new movie today and it was pretty good. My daughter had read the book and although they left out plenty she thought it followed the book better than the last movie.

So thumbs up from them.

Funny, my daughter came by the other night, she's 25, she was so up for the movie. I asked about the new book and she was like, Yay! but couldn't afford it. I just went to Border's and there's her birthday present. No wait for paperback.

Trigg
07-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Funny, my daughter came by the other night, she's 25, she was so up for the movie. I asked about the new book and she was like, Yay! but couldn't afford it. I just went to Border's and there's her birthday present. No wait for paperback.

My kids can't wait to get their hands on the new book. It's a good series to bad this is the last one............or so she says.

nevadamedic
07-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Story Highlights

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" makes $44.8 million
Wednesday tally breaks record set by "Spider-Man 2"
"Synergistic" match between movie and book, says observer
Final book in series due out July 21

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/12/potter.box.office.ap/index.html

I can't wait to see it this weekend! I am glad to hear they followed the book more closely this time. Did it have the Dursley's in it?

nevadamedic
07-21-2007, 12:02 PM
I just saw this last night and it was awesome, the best one of the series. They followed the book better then any of the other movies to date. Yes they left a lot out but it wasn't critical parts like the last two. I thought they included more then they needed to, which I was happy about. Also the ending was awesome, the final fight between the Order of the Phoenix and the Death Eaters was amazing, in a way it reminded me of a Star Wars battle sequence in a lot of ways. They also protraied the darkness in this move perfect as was the conflict with in Harry. Daniel radcliff really earned his money, he really made you feel what he was feeling. I reccommend this movie to anyone even if you arn't a Harry Potter fan you wil like and appreciate it. It also has a good message.

jackass
07-25-2007, 02:17 PM
I have to disagree with NM on this. I thought this was the weakest of the movies and one of my favorite book of the series. I thought the movie left out way too much detail. The book was so full of action. The movie seemed to have just skimmed the surface of the book. If you hadnt read the books you would have no idea what is going on.

nevadamedic
07-25-2007, 02:19 PM
I have to disagree with NM on this. I thought this was the weakest of the movies and one of my favorite book of the series. I thought the movie left out way too much detail. The book was so full of action. The movie seemed to have just skimmed the surface of the book. If you hadnt read the books you would have no idea what is going on.

:poke: That's not true. A friend of mine who hasn't read any of the book's saw it and knew exactly what was going on. :poke: And Tonks was hott.

nevadamedic
07-25-2007, 02:21 PM
My kids can't wait to get their hands on the new book. It's a good series to bad this is the last one............or so she says.

Sign the petition............

jackass
07-25-2007, 02:44 PM
: And Tonks was hott.

You have some strange taste in women!

Trigg
07-25-2007, 03:37 PM

It was a lot better than the last movie, which left out way to much from the book IMO.

Hagbard Celine
07-25-2007, 03:44 PM
My mom wouldn't let my bro and sis read these when we were younger because she said they were "witchcraft."

Pale Rider
07-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Well I haven't read a one of the Harry Potter books, and I've enjoyed all the movies to date. I'll wait to see this one until it comes out on DVD. Maybe by that time I'll have either an HD DVD or Blu Ray player, and watch in 1080P. BETTER than the theater.

I've also heard the reaction to this last movie is split almost perfect down the middle. 51% say it was great, 49% say it wasn't.

jackass
07-25-2007, 06:46 PM
It was a lot better than the last movie, which left out way to much from the book IMO.

This movie left out the whole fight for Hogwarts! That was a huge part of the book.

nevadamedic
07-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Well I haven't read a one of the Harry Potter books, and I've enjoyed all the movies to date. I'll wait to see this one until it comes out on DVD. Maybe by that time I'll have either an HD DVD or Blu Ray player, and watch in 1080P. BETTER than the theater.

I've also heard the reaction to this last movie is split almost perfect down the middle. 51% say it was great, 49% say it wasn't.

You want to see it in the theater, I think that is part of the effect of this movie.

Trigg
07-25-2007, 07:38 PM
This movie left out the whole fight for Hogwarts! That was a huge part of the book.

It was better than the last movie. I thought the last one left out so much it just didn't make sense.

As a rule I hate when they make books into movies. Probably my favorite book to movie is Dances with Wolves, they stuck to the book pretty close.

nevadamedic
07-25-2007, 11:08 PM
It was better than the last movie. I thought the last one left out so much it just didn't make sense.

As a rule I hate when they make books into movies. Probably my favorite book to movie is Dances with Wolves, they stuck to the book pretty close.

The last one left out way to much. They should have atleast included the House Elves and Harmione's Elf Liberation Orginization. Also I love Dobby, he was a main character in the second book and movie they should have had his parts in the fourth movie.

Trigg
08-04-2007, 07:50 PM
The last one left out way to much. They should have atleast included the House Elves and Harmione's Elf Liberation Orginization. Also I love Dobby, he was a main character in the second book and movie they should have had his parts in the fourth movie.

After seeing the last movie my oldest (14) decided to start the series over again from the beginning. He is now on book 4 and is complaining non-stop about how much they left out of the movies.

Honestly though the only movie I every saw, made from a book, that was any good, was Dancing with Wolves.

No1tovote4
08-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Hmmm... I finished reading the last book. Loved it BTW. I have yet to see the movie though. Unfortunately my kids are too young to take and it is hard for us to get to movies nowadays...

nevadamedic
08-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Hmmm... I finished reading the last book. Loved it BTW. I have yet to see the movie though. Unfortunately my kids are too young to take and it is hard for us to get to movies nowadays...

The final chapter in book Seven was awesome!:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::s alute:

Gaffer
08-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Well I just spent the last week and a half reading all seven Potter books. None of the movies I have seen have held a candle to the books. I haven't seen the newest movie yet. Book seven is intense and you won't want to put it down. Don't want to spoil anything for anyone but the battle in book four is nothing compared to what happens in the seventh book. A seventh movie is going to be of epic proportions if they follow the book at all.

nevadamedic
08-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Well I just spent the last week and a half reading all seven Potter books. None of the movies I have seen have held a candle to the books. I haven't seen the newest movie yet. Book seven is intense and you won't want to put it down. Don't want to spoil anything for anyone but the battle in book four is nothing compared to what happens in the seventh book. A seventh movie is going to be of epic proportions if they follow the book at all.

I though the few chapters when they were on the run and while Ron was gone got kinda boring, nothing really happened. Other then that your right I couldn't put it down. I think that if they leave much out that people will be lost. I hope they make the next two movies longer to include more. Im sure noone would care.

I am surprised you of all people would read these books and like them. Now we just need to get Pale to read them since he likes the movies!

No1tovote4
08-24-2007, 10:13 PM
I though the few chapters when they were on the run and while Ron was gone got kinda boring, nothing really happened. Other then that your right I couldn't put it down. I think that if they leave much out that people will be lost. I hope they make the next two movies longer to include more. Im sure noone would care.

I am surprised you of all people would read these books and like them. Now we just need to get Pale to read them since he likes the movies!

I hope that they leave the time Ron left out... Geez that was one long set up for the lighter.

nevadamedic
08-24-2007, 10:15 PM
I hope that they leave the time Ron left out... Geez that was one long set up for the lighter.

Yup............

Gaffer
08-25-2007, 08:31 AM

I wasn't sure I would like the books because I had heard they were childrens books. The first couple of books seemed to be geared in writing style toward younger people the others had more adult style and content. These books fall in the fantasy realm and I like fantasy. The Lord of the Rings is still my favorite. Good scifi is another favorite.

I think the movies will end up leaving a lot of stuff out and, while action packed, will only tell half the story.

Abbey Marie
08-25-2007, 10:23 AM
After seeing the last movie my oldest (14) decided to start the series over again from the beginning. He is now on book 4 and is complaining non-stop about how much they left out of the movies.

Honestly though the only movie I every saw, made from a book, that was any good, was Dancing with Wolves.

I would tend to agree, with a big exception. I read Platoon, then saw the movie. The movie was fantastic.

Gaffer
08-25-2007, 11:37 AM
I would tend to agree, with a big exception. I read Platoon, then saw the movie. The movie was fantastic.

After seeing Platoon I read the book as well. The book did give more background on things and didn't play up the dope quite as much as the movie did. At the time the events took place there was not a lot of dope around, at least not among frontline troops. I was actually in the area that's depicted in the book and the movie and was there a few months before the time this was suppose to occur. My unit, the 196th LIB is actually mentioned in the book. The rubber plantation is located at the foot of the Black Virgin Mountain. There was no undergrowth between the trees.

Abbey Marie
08-25-2007, 12:31 PM
After seeing Platoon I read the book as well. The book did give more background on things and didn't play up the dope quite as much as the movie did. At the time the events took place there was not a lot of dope around, at least not among frontline troops. I was actually in the area that's depicted in the book and the movie and was there a few months before the time this was suppose to occur. My unit, the 196th LIB is actually mentioned in the book. The rubber plantation is located at the foot of the Black Virgin Mountain. There was no undergrowth between the trees.

That's really interesting, Gaffer. Did you like the movie? It certainly did make it look like our soldiers were high a lot.

Movies will never follow a book exactly, and I think that is usually for the best. The two media are just so different that they need a different emphasis at times to be well done.

Gaffer
08-25-2007, 01:02 PM
That's really interesting, Gaffer. Did you like the movie? It certainly did make it look like our soldiers were high a lot.

Movies will never follow a book exactly, and I think that is usually for the best. The two media are just so different that they need a different emphasis at times to be well done.

I did like the movie, except the drug stuff was way over done. In my year over there I only saw pot being smoked one time. And that was a guy who had just arrived. The kind of thing being done in that movie would never happen on a forward base like that.

The first part of the movie was good. Gave me the willies when I first saw it cause they did a good job with the ambush scene. The part in the rubber plantation was just a hollywood battle scene with the usual pyrotechnics. The final battle was too. None of the rest of the movie captured the realism that the first ambush scene did. That was the kind of action that was most prevalent during the war. The final battle was a rarity event and would have been met with a lot more artillery and claymores. But then they had a story line to follow.