PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Gervais

Perianne
12-21-2015, 04:06 PM
An Englishman who I can understand.

Haha. I saw him on Curb Your Enthusiasm. That is a funny program. I suspect Larry David is really like he portrays himself.

Perianne
12-21-2015, 04:08 PM
An Englishman who I can understand.

Haha. I saw him on Curb Your Enthusiasm. That is a funny program. I suspect Larry David is really like he portrays himself.
Drummond, is Ricky Gervais big in your part of the world?

Drummond
12-21-2015, 04:54 PM
@Drummond (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=2287), is Ricky Gervais big in your part of the world?

He's been a comedy household name in the UK for many years, Perianne. Chiefly, his fame comes from a highly original comedy series he did for the BBC called 'The Office' (done in mock documentary style throughout, as if it was truly a real-life office), with Gervais playing the role of a totally pathetic office boss ('David Brent') who was forever trying to identify with his staff in a cringemaking way .. everything he did was 'just a little bit off'. The character was supposedly someone who thought he was making a good impression, being 'one of the boys', but the joke always was that he miserably failed in increasingly ludicrous ways.

A clip of 'David Brent' ... one of his better moments ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fOMM2SqSGM

... and of 'David Brent' seeing himself as a version of Jesus ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8HsAZnzTUA&list=RDJ8HsAZnzTUA#t=5

Elessar
12-21-2015, 05:22 PM
Was that Martin Freeman in that first clip?

He was marvelous as Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit trilogy.

Drummond
12-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Was that Martin Freeman in that first clip?

He was marvelous as Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit trilogy.

Yes, it was .. an early role of his. I don't know if 'Sherlock' has ever been shown in the US, but these days we know Martin Freeman from his role in it as Dr Watson.

In case this is unfamiliar to America ... 'Sherlock' is a version of Sherlock Holmes, only with the stories set in contemporary London. Benedict Cumberbatch (from Star Trek Into Darkness) plays the role of Sherlock Holmes, with Una Stubbs playing Mrs Hudson (she was in the original 'Til Death Us Do Part' comedy, which was the British show that 'All In The Family' was drawn from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIMsmtbm6_8

Perianne
12-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Drummond, after the success of The Office over there, we had our own version of it. I liked the first few years of the American version.

My daughter watches Sherlock here.

Drummond
12-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Drummond, after the success of The Office over there, we had our own version of it. I liked the first few years of the American version.

My daughter watches Sherlock here.

Any chance of a clip (one you like) from the American 'Office' series ? It'd be interesting to see how each version compares.

Perianne
12-21-2015, 06:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmb1tqYqyII

Noir
12-21-2015, 07:13 PM
The American show is as such a translation was always going to be - Glossy, loud, obnoxious. That's not to say that either version is wrong, just that they're remarkably different.

I like Gervais, from what I know of him, a solid writer and comic, with tendencies to be vocal on issues like animal abuse.

Drummond
12-22-2015, 07:02 AM
The American show is as such a translation was always going to be - Glossy, loud, obnoxious. That's not to say that either version is wrong, just that they're remarkably different.

I like Gervais, from what I know of him, a solid writer and comic, with tendencies to be vocal on issues like animal abuse.

Nope.

Noir, I suggest that you post a little more honestly in future. You say 'That's not to say that either version is wrong' ... but, your assessment of the American version of the show is remarkably judgemental, isn't it. Your word 'obnoxious' really gives the game away.

I think you'd prefer to advertise yourself as open-minded ('progressively so'), yet 'superior'. Well, I definitely question the 'superiority' - and any claim of yours to be 'open minded' is regularly blown out of the water from your various posts. Ditto here, of course ...

Noir
12-22-2015, 07:11 AM
Nope.

Noir, I suggest that you post a little more honestly in future. You say 'That's not to say that either version is wrong' ... but, your assessment of the American version of the show is remarkably judgemental, isn't it. Your word 'obnoxious' really gives the game away.

I think you'd prefer to advertise yourself as open-minded ('progressively so'), yet 'superior'. Well, I definitely question the 'superiority' - and any claim of yours to be 'open minded' is regularly blown out of the water from your various posts. Ditto here, of course ...

Brass Eye is one of the most obnoxious TV programs available, and IMO utterly fantastic.

The Office UK and The Office USA are both aiming for a different comedy button.

To contrast I would describe The Office UK as dry, dull, and awkward. Now someone could easily read that are think 'how remarkably judgemental. The word 'dull' really gives the game away.' ...but of course they're missing the point.

Drummond
12-22-2015, 07:21 AM
Brass Eye is one of the most obnoxious TV programs available, and IMO utterly fantastic.

The Office UK and The Office USA are both aiming for a different comedy button.

To contrast I would describe The Office UK as dry, dull, and awkward. Now someone could easily read that are think 'how remarkably judgemental. The word 'dull' really gives the game away.' ...but of course they're missing the point.

What you're really trying to say is that it's in the eye of the beholder. True enough, I suppose.

But what you're also trying to do is water down the worth of your word 'obnoxious', as you meant to use it. 'Obnoxious' was, certainly as you intended it previously, a judgement-call. Now, you're attempting a different spin on its usage.

'Dry, dull, awkward' are more personally subjective. 'Obnoxious' is stronger, far more dismissive, far more negative.

Drummond
12-22-2015, 12:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmb1tqYqyII

Many thanks ! A good clip, and I'd say it does a reasonably good job of matching our own version of 'The Office'. That was Steve Carell .. ?

Perianne
12-22-2015, 12:13 PM
Many thanks ! A good clip, and I'd say it does a reasonably good job of matching our own version of 'The Office'. That was Steve Carell .. ?

Steve Carell is the dark-haired guy doing CPR. His lacky is the guy who cut the face off the dummy.

Steve Carell:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8150&stc=1

Noir
12-22-2015, 10:11 PM
What you're really trying to say is that it's in the eye of the beholder. True enough, I suppose.

But what you're also trying to do is water down the worth of your word 'obnoxious', as you meant to use it. 'Obnoxious' was, certainly as you intended it previously, a judgement-call. Now, you're attempting a different spin on its usage.

'Dry, dull, awkward' are more personally subjective. 'Obnoxious' is stronger, far more dismissive, far more negative.

Not the first time I've made comments that you apparently agree with, yet your knee-jerk reaction is to disagree and ramble on about leftist/progressive nonsense. There's no need to try so hard to disagree all the time.