View Full Version : Nurses confront violence on the job

nevadamedic
07-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Story Highlights

Nurses reported a high incidence of physical violence in two recent surveys
In the past, nurses were taught to ignore or downplay assaults, one group says
The issue is receiving renewed attention and legislation in some states

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/07/11/nurse.violence/index.html

There has got to be something that can be done. Usually you can tell if someone is going to be a problem patient from the beginning. At that point the doctor can order 1,2,3, and up to 4 point restraints. They could also have a security guard in the ER as well. Also there are drugs they can use when the patient gets out of control. Bottom like, there is no reason a nurse or doctor should get hurt if the take the appropriate measurers.

waterrescuedude2000
07-12-2007, 10:17 PM
ok but what do they want us to do about it??

nevadamedic
07-12-2007, 10:20 PM
ok but what do they want us to do about it??

Probably what I just said............. :poke:

waterrescuedude2000
07-12-2007, 10:24 PM
I just kinda skimmed the first few lines. Well I'm off to do my patrol back in a bit.

diuretic
07-12-2007, 10:44 PM
It's a big problem here too. Booze and drugs. We have security officers in our hospitals and they do a good job but sometimes they just get overwhelmed, especially when a drunk/druged patient's family or friends come in and start smashing the hospital up.

nevadamedic
07-12-2007, 11:24 PM
It's a big problem here too. Booze and drugs. We have security officers in our hospitals and they do a good job but sometimes they just get overwhelmed, especially when a drunk/druged patient's family or friends come in and start smashing the hospital up.

Usually here the doctor give them a shot of a tranquilizer and that calms them down.

diuretic
07-13-2007, 05:21 AM
Usually here the doctor give them a shoult of a tranquilizer and that calms them down.

Good idea. I suspect our docs would load up the odd trouble-maker but many tims it's their friends or families causing crap.

But here the hospitals have big problems, especially during the weekend. The pissheads and druggies and their mates just about invade hospitals at times. I have a lot of time for the security people, they get the job done without calling the cops a lot but when they do you know it's serious. It's bad enough in Casualty for nurses and doctors and attendants, they shouldn't have to put up with crap from pissheads, druggies and their mates. It must be dreadful for patients as well.

Joan
07-13-2007, 11:10 AM
We also have some nurses (or nurses aides) who abuse patients. Trust me, I was a victim! I spent a week in the hospital, and was then sent to a rehab. Since I had an intravenous tube in my hand, my sister had put my wristwatch on the night table. I happened to see one of the aides pick it up and walk out of the room. I yelled for her to bring it back. She claimed she "only wanted to take a closer look at it". This watch meant a lot to me, as it was a retirement gift from the company I worked for, and a Movado at that! A few minutes later, I saw her outside of my room speaking to someone (another aide or a nurse), saying "Stay away from that lying racist motherfucker in there". I immediately called the patient advocate. In my opinion, she should have been fired on the spot, but she was just told she could not enter my room again. After about a week, the patient advocate came in to see how things were, and I complained that my bed linens hadn't been changed since I was admitted. A little later, I had company, and an aide came in and asked them to leave the room. She then proceeded to chew my ass out but good! There were also many occasions while I was in there that I heard the aides screaming at patients, and even saw one being slapped across the face.

To those of you who have elderly parents, or need to put someone in rehab, please, please, check the place over very carefully.

P.S. This place was also loaded with cockroaches!

Trigg
07-13-2007, 11:41 AM
In the smaller rural hospitals finding someone to help hold a patient can be hard especially at night. Had a druggy about climb off the cart in the elevator one night, the police officer was smaller than me so I wasn't hopeful for much help.

For some reason our medics piss and moan when they have to help move a patient or help hold one down. We don't have any men in our department, which is unusual for radiology.

nevadamedic
07-13-2007, 04:19 PM
We also have some nurses (or nurses aides) who abuse patients. Trust me, I was a victim! I spent a week in the hospital, and was then sent to a rehab. Since I had an intravenous tube in my hand, my sister had put my wristwatch on the night table. I happened to see one of the aides pick it up and walk out of the room. I yelled for her to bring it back. She claimed she "only wanted to take a closer look at it". This watch meant a lot to me, as it was a retirement gift from the company I worked for, and a Movado at that! A few minutes later, I saw her outside of my room speaking to someone (another aide or a nurse), saying "Stay away from that lying racist motherfucker in there". I immediately called the patient advocate. In my opinion, she should have been fired on the spot, but she was just told she could not enter my room again. After about a week, the patient advocate came in to see how things were, and I complained that my bed linens hadn't been changed since I was admitted. A little later, I had company, and an aide came in and asked them to leave the room. She then proceeded to chew my ass out but good! There were also many occasions while I was in there that I heard the aides screaming at patients, and even saw one being slapped across the face.

To those of you who have elderly parents, or need to put someone in rehab, please, please, check the place over very carefully.

We just had a male nurse at our local hospital who was drugging female patients in the ER and sexually assualting them.

nevadamedic
07-13-2007, 04:19 PM
In the smaller rural hospitals finding someone to help hold a patient can be hard especially at night. Had a druggy about climb off the cart in the elevator one night, the police officer was smaller than me so I wasn't hopeful for much help.

For some reason our medics piss and moan when they have to help move a patient or help hold one down. We don't have any men in our department, which is unusual for radiology.

Your a nurse?

Kathianne
07-13-2007, 04:35 PM

Well said! I'm sorry for what you went through. My mom broke her hip twice, necessitating 2 rehab stays. She also eventually had to be put in a nursing home. In no case did we just 'put her' where the hospital suggested. We went around looking for the best placement and did pay attention to how the patients 'looked.' We went for the cheeriest patients and staff we could find. Not so surprisingly, they were also the nicest regarding decorating and such. Food was good, which was something else we checked out, as my mom at the time of the first break weighed about 80 pounds, by the time she died she was down to 70, food was a big deal.

When my mom was living with me for nearly 2 years, we had 24/7 nursing care. Her health was declining and the nurse had to return to her homeland. Luckily she agreed to stay until we could find placement. It took nearly 3 weeks to find the home we chose, even then it ended up being suggested by a friend of my dad's, who happened to donate the land and had the building built. With that 'in' it still took 2 months until there was an opening, skipping others in line. (Not fair, but there are times that clout will be used.)

When a loved one is sick, regardless of age or mental ability, they need us to make the best choices we can. It is imperative for lots of visitors, as there is no doubt that the staff quickly discerns how closely your loved one is being watched over. We were lucky, all our immediate family and most extended is in the Chicago area, then there were all of our friends. My mom averaged 6 visitors a day, sometimes more for just under a year.

The home was excellent, though she would have wished to be home, it just was no longer feasible. We did the best we could though and have no regrets.

nevadamedic
07-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Well said! I'm sorry for what you went through. My mom broke her hip twice, necessitating 2 rehab stays. She also eventually had to be put in a nursing home. In no case did we just 'put her' where the hospital suggested. We went around looking for the best placement and did pay attention to how the patients 'looked.' We went for the cheeriest patients and staff we could find. Not so surprisingly, they were also the nicest regarding decorating and such. Food was good, which was something else we checked out, as my mom at the time of the first break weighed about 80 pounds, by the time she died she was down to 70, food was a big deal.

When my mom was living with me for nearly 2 years, we had 24/7 nursing care. Her health was declining and the nurse had to return to her homeland. Luckily she agreed to stay until we could find placement. It took nearly 3 weeks to find the home we chose, even then it ended up being suggested by a friend of my dad's, who happened to donate the land and had the building built. With that 'in' it still took 2 months until there was an opening, skipping others in line. (Not fair, but there are times that clout will be used.)

When a loved one is sick, regardless of age or mental ability, they need us to make the best choices we can. It is imperative for lots of visitors, as there is no doubt that the staff quickly discerns how closely your loved one is being watched over. We were lucky, all our immediate family and most extended is in the Chicago area, then there were all of our friends. My mom averaged 6 visitors a day, sometimes more for just under a year.

The home was excellent, though she would have wished to be home, it just was no longer feasible. We did the best we could though and have no regrets.

Most nursing homes around here keep getting introuble for abusing the elderly. I think it's disgusting to do to someone. These people are going through a rough enough time already to be treated like a piece of shit like that.

Trigg
07-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Your a nurse?

No receptionist in the Radiology Dept., but we're a small hospital and don't have any transporters so moving pts is part of the job.