PDA

View Full Version : Unwritten Codes

Gunny
12-23-2015, 11:51 AM
The older vets here will understand this: the title is self explanatory. This was before the days of cameras, cells and computers.

You send me to supply for C-Rats and that Jeep's coming back loaded with anything I can pilfer off those REMFs. I was loading c-rats once and next them was a case of whiskey and a 4 cases of cling peaches. I was merely reallocating supplies. :)

When we had a battalion party back then, there was always leftover cases of beer. The SgtMaj would pull rank and have them put in his office. We wouldn't see him for a couple of days.

CSM
12-23-2015, 12:06 PM
The older vets here will understand this: the title is self explanatory. This was before the days of cameras, cells and computers.

You send me to supply for C-Rats and that Jeep's coming back loaded with anything I can pilfer off those REMFs. I was loading c-rats once and next them was a case of whiskey and a 4 cases of cling peaches. I was merely reallocating supplies. :)

When we had a battalion party back then, there was always leftover cases of beer. The SgtMaj would pull rank and have them put in his office. We wouldn't see him for a couple of days.

I always preferred to think of it as "liberating" rather than "reallocating". Allocation implies the original owners had a need for them; liberation implies they were holding them hostage...

gabosaurus
12-23-2015, 12:07 PM
When my dad's best friend was serving in Viet Nam, his section was surprised on one Christmas Eve afternoon when their leader ordered them on a patrol to "search for enemy activity." They marched for about an hour until reaching their intended location. Where they spent the next two days eating absconded food, drinking and smoking pot. :cool:

Gunny
12-23-2015, 12:32 PM
I always preferred to think of it as "liberating" rather than "reallocating". Allocation implies the original owners had a need for them; liberation implies they were holding them hostage...

My thoughts were if they needed them, they'd have them somewhere else. It got bad after awhile. We had all kinds of neat stuff and the SupO told the Col to send someone else for supplies. LtCol C- was a mustanger -- joined the Corps as a Pvt in WWII. He told the SupO to f- off He'd send whoever the Hell he wanted. And I was junior Cpl. :laugh:

Gunny
12-23-2015, 01:39 PM
I used to like the boot goofballs that would come out to the field the first time humping their entire initial issue AND all kinds of Godforsaken crap they didn't need. Be bent over like an old man. And I'll just relieve you of all these canned goods you thought to supplement your rats with.

You're humping 15 pounds of canvas so you can set up a hooch in the sand. Really? Do you see ANYONE else humping a shelter half? Note the word half, prive. If NO ONE ELSE has one, what is your half going to set up with? The math to driving a tent peg in sand is pretty damned simple too. Two pairs of boots and 4 sets of cammies. Six pair of drawers and tee shirts and socks. I guess you think we got all kinds of dainty facilities out here in the middle of the Mojave so you can spruce up each morning?

And for a THREE day exercise. :laugh:

Gunny
12-23-2015, 02:03 PM
So here's Maj E-, the Battalion CO.

"LCpl L- you playing on my team this year? Don't see your name on the list."

"Well sir, I just got married and thought maybe I wouldn't"

"Didin't you just go up on the meritorious Cpl board Firday?"

"Yes, sir."

"LCpl L - you playing on my team this year?"

*gears whirling*

"Matter of fact sir, I'd be proud to be your starting middle linebacker again this year". :laugh:

Perianne
12-23-2015, 03:28 PM
I used to like the boot goofballs that would come out to the field the first time humping their entire initial issue AND all kinds of Godforsaken crap they didn't need. Be bent over like an old man. And I'll just relieve you of all these canned goods you thought to supplement your rats with.

You're humping 15 pounds of canvas so you can set up a hooch in the sand. Really? Do you see ANYONE else humping a shelter half? Note the word half, prive. If NO ONE ELSE has one, what is your half going to set up with? The math to driving a tent peg in sand is pretty damned simple too. Two pairs of boots and 4 sets of cammies. Six pair of drawers and tee shirts and socks. I guess you think we got all kinds of dainty facilities out here in the middle of the Mojave so you can spruce up each morning?

And for a THREE day exercise. :laugh:

If I were a Marine, how would I put my makeup on in the morning?

Gunny
12-23-2015, 04:45 PM
If I were a Marine, how would I put my makeup on in the morning?

In the field? You got you a little hand mirror in your shaving kit and you slap that war paint on the same way the rest of us do. Back then it was all oil based. I'd be broken out for a week.

NightTrain
12-23-2015, 04:50 PM
So here's Maj E-, the Battalion CO.

"LCpl L- you playing on my team this year? Don't see your name on the list."

"Well sir, I just got married and thought maybe I wouldn't"

"Didin't you just go up on the meritorious Cpl board Firday?"

"Yes, sir."

"LCpl L - you playing on my team this year?"

*gears whirling*

"Matter of fact sir, I'd be proud to be your starting middle linebacker again this year". :laugh:

Mighty nice of him to let you take another stab at the correct answer.

Gunny
12-23-2015, 05:26 PM
Mighty nice of him to let you take another stab at the correct answer.

A lot of it's funny now because suck as some of it may, I'd love to do it again. Image THIS one: A white CPL from San Antonio whose family is from Gonzales and a Lt named Santa Ana who is from Gonzales. He tried so hard to screw me over he jacked his own self up. :laugh: He was trying to send me to Team Spirit in Korea that year but he stuck me on the range, then volunteered me up to the 31st MAU to go to Lebanon. And I was like, shit, I got away from your gay little ass and I picked up a ribbon and 2 medals that seem to be the purpose for your existence and you got NOTHING. :laugh:

gabosaurus
12-23-2015, 08:10 PM
There is an unwritten code that married men need to adopt when they begin feeling argumentative. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJlPtIdpV7s

Perianne
12-23-2015, 08:29 PM
There is an unwritten code that married men need to adopt when they begin feeling argumentative. :cool:

Men should do as they are told. It never worked that way in my marriage, though. :)

CSM
12-24-2015, 07:18 AM
Men should do as they are told. It never worked that way in my marriage, though. :)

Weird..... I have always felt that women should do as they are told..... never worked that way in my marriage either.

It's not an unwritten code unless it is universally adopted. Things like: don't spit into the wind ... never light up a smoke while sitting on the perimeter .... stuff like that.

Gunny
12-24-2015, 02:09 PM
Weird..... I have always felt that women should do as they are told..... never worked that way in my marriage either.

It's not an unwritten code unless it is universally adopted. Things like: don't spit into the wind ... never light up a smoke while sitting on the perimeter .... stuff like that.

OMG. I'm out like let's say on "perimeter" and dorkweed fires one up. You know how far you can see a smoke in the desert? I'm a damned smoker and I won't even smoke in the field unless I'm at the bottom of a hole. I was just like, you realize there's only two of us out here and you're the only one with an automatic weapon? This single fire weapon I have ain't going to hold off a whole lot of bad guys. :bang3:

gabosaurus
12-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Men should do as they are told.

Totally agree with this. :salute:
Reminds me of one of my favorite stories about spousal arguments.

A husband and wife were having a fierce argument when the guy grabbed a pair of his pants and said "here, put these on!"
His wife looked at them and said "I can't fit into these!"
To which the man replied "Only the man of the house can. And it's time you realized that!"
The woman then grabbed a pair of her underwear, threw them at her husband and said "here, put these on!"
The man looked at them and said "I can't get into these!"
To which the woman replied "And you won't until you start listening to me!"

Perianne
12-24-2015, 03:49 PM
Totally agree with this. :salute:
Reminds me of one of my favorite stories about spousal arguments.

A husband and wife were having a fierce argument when the guy grabbed a pair of his pants and said "here, put these on!"
His wife looked at them and said "I can't fit into these!"
To which the man replied "Only the man of the house can. And it's time you realized that!"
The woman then grabbed a pair of her underwear, threw them at her husband and said "here, put these on!"
The man looked at them and said "I can't get into these!"
To which the woman replied "And you won't until you start listening to me!"

And that is the power women have. We have the pot of gold all men are looking for.

Gunny
12-24-2015, 03:52 PM
And that is the power women have. We have the pot of gold all men are looking for.

Got news for ya ... it all feels the same. The connection is with the person, not your drawers. You got what young men don't care who they get it from.

CSM
12-25-2015, 07:56 AM

Young men: for sure...middle aged men: some .... old men: not so much.

Jeff
12-25-2015, 08:05 AM

AAAA yes the promise land. :laugh:

Gunny
12-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Ghost town: That water from San Diego to Hawaii. First 8 days of float. 80% of the ship is in the rack with green faces. The entire ship is yours. :laugh: