PDA

View Full Version : If you could have a do-over

Abbey Marie
12-23-2015, 09:21 PM
End of year thoughts often lead here for me.

Specifically about your career, not personal relationships, what would you do differently if you could do it all over?

I might still go to law school for the excellent education in logical thinking it gives, but my temperament and personality were never really a great fit for "lawyering" (other than contract negotiation, for which I was actually well-suited).

What I would really love to do if I had a Mulligan, is work in a field hospital in a combat zone. Volunteering at USO has made me aware of how much I like to help our military. But it would be much more appealing to help in a more significant way, immediate way.

How about you all?

CSM
12-24-2015, 07:06 AM
This post prompted me to do some rather deep thinking. I eventually realized that I am quite content with my life as it is currently which, in turn, leads me to believe that whatever I have endured in the past and whatever blessings I have had in the past resulted in things the way they are today. So, no, I won't take that mulligan, thanks anyway.

jimnyc
12-24-2015, 09:03 AM
I like CSM's answer. I suppose God lead me to where I am now for a reason.

But if I had to take a mulligan, I would skip the alcohol and drugs I started at around 19, and stick with football. I might have made a good safety or DB had I went to a good college and stuck with it. I was always obsessive about football and was pretty damn good. I always intended on going to a school like Penn State and playing. :(

And if not, the next was some sort of a lawyer, with litigation, as I was born to argue. :)

Perianne
12-24-2015, 01:36 PM
I like CSM's answer. I suppose God lead me to where I am now for a reason.

But if I had to take a mulligan, I would skip the alcohol and drugs I started at around 19, and stick with football. I might have made a good safety or DB had I went to a good college and stuck with it. I was always obsessive about football and was pretty damn good. I always intended on going to a school like Penn State and playing. :(

And if not, the next was some sort of a lawyer, with litigation, as I was born to argue. :)
@jimnyc (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1), don't you regret not having driven across town and meeting the Perianne? :)

Gunny
12-24-2015, 01:49 PM

Specifically about your career, not personal relationships, what would you do differently if you could do it all over?

I might still go to law school for the excellent education in logical thinking it gives, but my temperament and personality were never really a great fit for "lawyering" (other than contract negotiation, for which I was actually well-suited).

What I would really love to do if I had a Mulligan, is work in a field hospital in a combat zone. Volunteering at USO has made me aware of how much I like to help our military. But it would be much more appealing to help in a more significant way, immediate way.

How about you all?

You mean not be a Marine? :slap:

My daughter did that. She was a field medic. Her feet are crippled. And the chip off the old block would ask you the same question ... You mean not be a Soldier?

PixieStix
12-24-2015, 03:34 PM
I wanted to be in law. I would have, and should have been a prosecutor. That was the dream I had. But life sometimes doesn't cooperate.

I wanted to join the Military when I was 17, if Mom had signed off on it. My life would have been very different. I think :dunno:

Abbey Marie
12-24-2015, 03:35 PM
I wanted to be in law. I would have, and should have been a prosecutor. That was the dream I had. But life sometimes doesn't cooperate.

I wanted to join the Military when I was 17, if Mom had signed off for it. My life would have been very different. I think :dunno:

We seem very similar in some ways, Pix.
:beer:

gabosaurus
12-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Nada. I am who I am and could/would never be anyone else.

PixieStix
12-24-2015, 03:38 PM
We seem very similar in some ways, Pix.
:beer:

I am honored to be even a little like you Abbey. :)

PixieStix
12-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Nada. I am who I am and could/would never be anyone else.

It's not about being someone else. It's about doing other things

Abbey Marie
12-24-2015, 03:42 PM

Exactly right, Pixie. Thanks!

And I don't find it odd to imagine our careers going a totally different way. I think most people kind of fall-into their careers without even knowing all the possibilities out there. The lucky few make solid informed decisions at a young age.

Gunny
12-24-2015, 03:42 PM

Making different choices. How would we learn anything if we had do-overs though? Means you can screw up all you want and say "My bad. Rewind". That running away from the consequences of your actions.

PixieStix
12-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Making different choices. How would we learn anything if we had do-overs though? Means you can screw up all you want and say "My bad. Rewind". That running away from the consequences of your actions.

Yes that did occur to me. I almost typed. "I am where I am suppose to be". But I figured this was a thread about what could have been. I have learned many awesome lessons, and yes, it made me who I am. I still sometimes wonder though...

Perianne
12-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Exactly right, Pixie. Thanks!

And I don't find it odd to imagine our careers going a totally different way. I think most people kind of fall-into their careers without even knowing all the possibilities out there. The lucky few make solid informed decisions at a young age.

I was 29 when I got my RN license, so not so young. But I made the right choice. I could never imagine being in a field other then caring for others.

Abbey Marie
12-24-2015, 03:48 PM

Nah, nothing that serious. Just a "what if/imagine that" kind of thing. Can you see yourself having been in a different career? I know you are a Marine and an electrician, but is there ever a thought about a different path for you?

gabosaurus
12-24-2015, 03:48 PM

Exactly what I said. This is what I was meant to be. I enjoy helping people and providing a service to my community. There is no better occupation that I could have chosen.

I am honored to be even a little like you Abbey

I would be totally satisfied to become even a bit like Abbey.

Gunny
12-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Nah, nothing that serious. Just a "what if/imagine that" kind of thing. Can you see yourself having been in a different career? I know you are a Marine and an electrician, but is there ever a thought about a different path for you?

Easily. I had a scholarship in journalism and a job on the Miami Herald. Then y'all could all hate me. :laugh:

And actually, no. As far as career decisions go, had I not joined the Marines I'd have been an electrician 21 years sooner. Can you imagine me as a salesperson? "Buy this or I'll break your arm." :laugh:

Now if I could re-do or just NOT do some of the mistakes I made in my personal life, how many years you got? I got a list. :)

jimnyc
12-24-2015, 04:16 PM
@jimnyc (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1), don't you regret not having driven across town and meeting the Perianne? :)

I think the closest I ever came was Tennessee. I slipped into town, visited Elvis and then left just as quick. Was helping my cousin move to a new job in Memphis.

Perianne
12-24-2015, 04:23 PM
I think the closest I ever came was Tennessee. I slipped into town, visited Elvis and then left just as quick. Was helping my cousin move to a new job in Memphis.
jimnyc, I thought you said you attended University of Kentucky? I live right here in Lexington, just a few miles from campus.

Elessar
12-24-2015, 04:56 PM

How about you all?

I had been a lifeguard since I was 14 years old, advancing to to Red Cross Water Safety Instructor
as well as a Boy Scouts Aquatics Director ...both darn near who high you can go.

I would not change or trade that. Hundreds of lives saved, thousands assisted..No way I would change that.

jimnyc
12-24-2015, 05:32 PM
@jimnyc (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1), I thought you said you attended University of Kentucky? I live right here in Lexington, just a few miles from campus.

No, just a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE fan of UK is all, back from the early 80's probably. And my Dad lived in Lexington for years, but that was in South Carolina. :)

Perianne
12-24-2015, 05:47 PM
No, just a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE fan of UK is all, back from the early 80's probably. And my Dad lived in Lexington for years, but that was in South Carolina. :)

It speaks well of you to be a UK fan.

CSM
12-25-2015, 07:48 AM
What could have been?

I had won a full scholarship to the New England School of Art just before graduating from high school .... joined the Army instead. I really can't picture myself as a professional artist, though back then I wanted to be an illustrator for magazines like Outdoor Life, etc.

Balu
12-25-2015, 08:57 AM
I would have done everything the same way (including my mistakes, which taught me a lot), thus I would have become that, who I am now. I'm happy with my destiny and grateful to it and I realize it. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/boast.gif
It means that I am one of the happiest persons in the World. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/dance4.gif

Gunny
12-25-2015, 09:59 AM
What could have been?

I had won a full scholarship to the New England School of Art just before graduating from high school .... joined the Army instead. I really can't picture myself as a professional artist, though back then I wanted to be an illustrator for magazines like Outdoor Life, etc.

Is THIS my Christmas present? CSM an artist? LMFAO. Hey, we could go into business. I can write the articles and you can draw the pictures. :)

Russ
12-25-2015, 09:47 PM
It is great that many people are happy with their career choices, but I will consider the question to be to just to discuss possible alternative careers that were the "road not taken". I'd say that I'd definitely be intrigued if I'd been able to get into the medical field as some kind of doctor. I admit that I'm making a big assumption that I'd have been able to become a doctor, or course.

LongTermGuy
12-26-2015, 01:30 AM
No...would not change anything...To me everything was a Learning experience in this life...And I had an Interesting one....Good and bad...One thing I did learn driving on the road of life...Always Making adjustments along the way....Clear thinking...common sense and belief In God (was never shy about asking for forgiveness and help in dire times)... were all the tools I needed in my journey to the present....This is Truth...

...Never had any wishie-washy thoughts...I would say...from age 18 forward...it was always focus and calculations to make things better....dont get me wrong...I made mistakes...but have always adjusted...I am satisfied....never depended on luck or "chance"...Life is good enough for me at present ....But... again Im always looking for improvement...Why?...Cause Im not dead yet...

darin
12-26-2015, 02:57 AM
I had nothing going on when I enlisted - so probably wouldn't change that. Actually I sorta cringe when I think about who I could have been had I not taken the leap of faith to enlist.

But while in? I would have pursued a MD. Or Warrant Officer - Flight program.

Gunny
12-26-2015, 03:54 AM
It is great that many people are happy with their career choices, but I will consider the question to be to just to discuss possible alternative careers that were the "road not taken". I'd say that I'd definitely be intrigued if I'd been able to get into the medical field as some kind of doctor. I admit that I'm making a big assumption that I'd have been able to become a doctor, or course.

I'd NEVER want to be a doctor. I've found most are too arrogant to listen. Think I haven't figured out what is and isn't wrong with me by now? I don't mind providing you with patients but I will avoid being one at all costs. :laugh:

My daughter was a Medic in the Army and now she's an elementary school teacher. I was like "WTF? You're related to ME?" :laugh:

I grew up in the Air Force. I wanted to be a pilot. Unfortunately, I'm related to me too. :laugh2: