PDA

View Full Version : No indictment in shooting of Tamir Rice

jimnyc
12-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Horrible situation all the way around, but I think this was the right call.

-----

No indictments, but prosecutors cite mistakes in boy's death

CLEVELAND (AP) — A grand jury declined to indict two white Cleveland police officers in the fatal shooting of Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old black boy who had a pellet gun. But prosecutors say plenty of mistakes were made that led to the tragedy. Among them, they say, were:

— Someone had removed an orange tip to the gun that would have identified it as a toy. The gun's owner had warned Tamir about playing with it because of the possibility it could be mistaken for a real one.

— No one intervened despite Tamir wielding the toy gun for at least two hours, drawing it from his waistband and pointing it at other people at a recreation center before police were called.

— Dispatchers failed to relay to officers that the person scaring people at the recreation center likely was a juvenile with a toy gun. Officers thought they were confronting an adult. Tamir, at 5-foot-7 and 175 pounds, could pass for a grown-up.

— Officer Frank Garmback, upon arriving at the rec center, stopped the police cruiser, as it skidded on wet, slippery pavement, no more than 10 feet from Tamir. The close proximity heightened the tension when the boy turned to approach the cruiser while drawing the gun from his waistband, leading Officer Timothy Loehmann to fire two shots at him. Tamir died later at a hospital.

http://news.yahoo.com/no-indictments-prosecutors-cite-mistakes-boys-death-030936507.html

PixieStix
12-28-2015, 11:14 PM
I can at least say. They are right. Regardless of the political pressure. They did not cave.

Perianne
12-28-2015, 11:18 PM
Darwinism.

jimnyc
12-28-2015, 11:19 PM
I didn't know that he was even additionally warned. So he knew the tip was changed and that it could lead to a dangerous situation. I'm not placing blame on the kid, just unfortunate decisions lead to this outcome.

jimnyc
12-29-2015, 06:52 AM
And here come the excuses and accusations. Accusations of the prosecutor deliberately throwing the case now? Please, what a load of crap. Those complaining need to take a step back and look at things fairly. It's emotional right now and they are pissed. A kid is dead and they want someone arrested. Unfortunately, sometimes tragedies happen like this. It's hardly the authorities fault that the decisions made ultimately lead to a situation that appeared to be much different than it was, and included a gun. And again, one that he knew could be an issue and was warned about.

I hope the family can find some peace and healing. Probably not gonna be easy for awhile.

jimnyc
12-29-2015, 12:09 PM
Don't sit and stare for an hour.

You're responding to a call about someone with a gun, waving it around. From just a few yards away, your life is potentially on the line, and possibly that of others. You have a few seconds to decide how to respond to someone holding a gun. Which one of these guns was Rice holding, which one is the fake gun?

http://i.imgur.com/AqiSAty.jpg

-----

A photo released today by the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office shows what it says is a real gun next to the replica gun 12-year-old Tamir Rice had the day he was shot dead by a Cleveland, Ohio, police officer.

Prosecutors said in a report released today that the gun Tamir was carrying -- at the top and right -- was "functionally identical" to the real one pictured at the bottom left.

The report came in the wake of a grand jury's decision today to not indict officer Timothy Loehmann or his partner, Frank Garmback, in connection with Rice's death. Rice had that toy gun when he was shot dead by Lohemann on a Cleveland playground in November 2014.

"Even to a trained eye, careful side-by-side comparison is required to notice the differences," the report says.

"During the tense, uncertain and rapidly unfolding moments of an actual encounter, the officer facing a suspect carrying what appears to be a gun often does not know if it is real or fake," the report said. "Worse, the officer will know that if he guesses wrong, that may be the end of his life."

The report said that an orange tip that would normally be on the fake gun was removed along with its laser sight in Tamir's case. Typically there is a warning on the packaging indicating that removing the orange tip of the gun "is dangerous, may cause confusion, may be mistaken to be a real firearm by law enforcement officers or others and may be a crime."

"Although there is evidence that on the day of the incident, at least two people warned Tamir about the dangerousness of using the gun in a public place, there is noevidence that Tamir ever saw any warnings from the gun’s packaging," the report said.

https://gma.yahoo.com/one-toy-gun-tamir-rice-holding-prosecutors-032457028--abc-news-topstories.html#

Gunny
12-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Don't sit and stare for an hour.

You're responding to a call about someone with a gun, waving it around. From just a few yards away, your life is potentially on the line, and possibly that of others. You have a few seconds to decide how to respond to someone holding a gun. Which one of these guns was Rice holding, which one is the fake gun?

http://i.imgur.com/AqiSAty.jpg

-----

A photo released today by the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office shows what it says is a real gun next to the replica gun 12-year-old Tamir Rice had the day he was shot dead by a Cleveland, Ohio, police officer.

Prosecutors said in a report released today that the gun Tamir was carrying -- at the top and right -- was "functionally identical" to the real one pictured at the bottom left.

The report came in the wake of a grand jury's decision today to not indict officer Timothy Loehmann or his partner, Frank Garmback, in connection with Rice's death. Rice had that toy gun when he was shot dead by Lohemann on a Cleveland playground in November 2014.

"Even to a trained eye, careful side-by-side comparison is required to notice the differences," the report says.

"During the tense, uncertain and rapidly unfolding moments of an actual encounter, the officer facing a suspect carrying what appears to be a gun often does not know if it is real or fake," the report said. "Worse, the officer will know that if he guesses wrong, that may be the end of his life."

The report said that an orange tip that would normally be on the fake gun was removed along with its laser sight in Tamir's case. Typically there is a warning on the packaging indicating that removing the orange tip of the gun "is dangerous, may cause confusion, may be mistaken to be a real firearm by law enforcement officers or others and may be a crime."

"Although there is evidence that on the day of the incident, at least two people warned Tamir about the dangerousness of using the gun in a public place, there is noevidence that Tamir ever saw any warnings from the gun’s packaging," the report said.

https://gma.yahoo.com/one-toy-gun-tamir-rice-holding-prosecutors-032457028--abc-news-topstories.html#

I'd have fired. That looks like a Kimber .45 ACP. I ain't waiting around for you blow a hole in me to figure out if it's real. They put those orange things on the front for a reason. Leave them on.

glockmail
12-29-2015, 02:23 PM
— No one intervened despite Tamir wielding the toy gun for at least two hours, drawing it from his waistband and pointing it at other people at a recreation center before police were called.

Back 100 years ago when I was a kid, any adult there would have taken that away from me, called my parents, and my mom or dad would have cracked my ass. Now days you confront some kid and the parents go after you, because little Tyron is an angel and couldn't possibly done anything wrong.

Gunny
12-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Back 100 years ago when I was a kid, any adult there would have taken that away from me, called my parents, and my mom or dad would have cracked my ass. Now days you confront some kid and the parents go after you, because little Tyron is an angel and couldn't possibly done anything wrong.

Back 100 years ago when we were kids, we didn't have guns that looked like actual semi-auto handguns. Perhaps a parenting issue here? My damned kid ain't going out with a toy that looks like a real firearm.

glockmail
12-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Back 100 years ago when we were kids, we didn't have guns that looked like actual semi-auto handguns. Perhaps a parenting issue here? My damned kid ain't going out with a toy that looks like a real firearm.

We had cap guns, shiny and made out of some cheap metal, no red tips, and they went bang when you pulled the trigger.

Trigg
12-29-2015, 06:05 PM
This is a tragedy.

A normal 12 year old who's told to "drop his weapon" would probably attempt to hand it to the person. A fundamental mistake.

I feel so sorry for the child and his family, but the decision to not compound this tragedy by finding the police liable was a good one.

Gunny
12-29-2015, 06:21 PM
This is a tragedy.

A normal 12 year old who's told to "drop his weapon" would probably attempt to hand it to the person. A fundamental mistake.

I feel so sorry for the child and his family, but the decision to not compound this tragedy by finding the police liable was a good one.

Of course it's a tragedy. All the way around. The cops have to live with it every waking moment of their lives. But put yourself in THEIR shoes, not the kid's. Someone aims a weapon at me if I'm not close enough to see it it's a pop gun I'm opening fire. 12 years olds kill each other for their sneakers nowadays.

Trigg
12-29-2015, 06:31 PM
Of course it's a tragedy. All the way around. The cops have to live with it every waking moment of their lives. But put yourself in THEIR shoes, not the kid's. Someone aims a weapon at me if I'm not close enough to see it it's a pop gun I'm opening fire. 12 years olds kill each other for their sneakers nowadays.

True, which is sad in and of itself.

This is the air rifle my youngest has. He is allowed to shoot it at targets in his own backyard. He is not allowed to carry it anywhere else because I wouldn't want him to misuse it or have it be mistaken for a real gun.

http://airgunmaniac.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/3.jpg

Gunny
12-29-2015, 07:11 PM
True, which is sad in and of itself.

This is the air rifle my youngest has. He is allowed to shoot it at targets in his own backyard. He is not allowed to carry it anywhere else because I wouldn't want him to misuse it or have it be mistaken for a real gun.

http://airgunmaniac.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/3.jpg

All kinds of factors in play. I can see if I'm really close up or far away. The middle is blurry for me nowadays. Your boy's weapon I could tag easily. Handguns not so much. Everyone wants this realistic crap but no one wants to pay the price for it. As Glock said, we had little silver cap guns. You couldn't screw that one up if you tried.

That weapon looks like a .45. Period.

Elessar
12-29-2015, 08:21 PM
And here come the excuses and accusations. Accusations of the prosecutor deliberately throwing the case now? Please, what a load of crap. Those complaining need to take a step back and look at things fairly. It's emotional right now and they are pissed. A kid is dead and they want someone arrested. Unfortunately, sometimes tragedies happen like this. It's hardly the authorities fault that the decisions made ultimately lead to a situation that appeared to be much different than it was, and included a gun. And again, one that he knew could be an issue and was warned about.

I hope the family can find some peace and healing. Probably not gonna be easy for awhile.

I would say do not get worried about it. There are lots of warnings in
the Internet and media about altering plastic "Guns" and aiming them
at other people; especially L.E.!

Bad choice on that kid's part.
Who raised him? A welfare gutter Wh**?

But the cops have to go home after shift too, and I
will guarantee they did not like that.

LongTermGuy
12-29-2015, 10:32 PM
I would say do not get worried about it. There are lots of warnings in
the Internet and media about altering plastic "Guns" and aiming them
at other people; especially L.E.!

Bad choice on that kid's part.
Who raised him? A welfare gutter Wh**?

But the cops have to go home after shift too, and I
will guarantee they did not like that.

Agree ^^^

....a raised right normal kid would of put the "Gun" down....and "respected" adult authority...