PDA

View Full Version : Word-banning judge declares mistrial in rape case because of ban

nevadamedic
07-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Story Highlights

Judge had barred the words "rape" and "victim," among others
Jury was in process of being selected when judge declared mistrial
Law allows judges to bar words, phrases that could prejudice or mislead a jury
Accuser: "Silencing rape victims is something that has been done for far too long"

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/07/12/censored.trial.ap/index.html

The judge barred attorneys and witnesses from using words including "rape," "victim," "assailant" and "sexual-assault kit," and ordered witnesses to sign papers saying they wouldn't use the words. Words such as "sex" and "intercourse" were allowed.

This makes no sense. It's almost like he want's the defendant to get away with his crime. The jury wont get the full effect of it if they refer to it as sexual intercourse, rape sum's it up to where there would be no questions. Then the judge declaires a mis-trial while picking a jury? Why couldn't they have interview more people after that incident.

To me it sounds like this judge is a creep and he is very lenient when it comes to sex offenders. It is people like this judge who enable the rapists, kidnappers, murders and child molesters because they are way to lienient on them. This guy should be charged with a capital offense and get the death penalty, as he killed a part of every woman he has assaulted.

manu1959
07-13-2007, 12:29 AM
new trial and new judge.....

nevadamedic
07-13-2007, 12:39 AM
new trial and new judge.....

I thought it goes back to the same judge? I thought the article said this was the second time in front of this judge?

waterrescuedude2000
07-13-2007, 12:41 AM
And kicked off the bench idiots like this don't deserve to be on the bench

manu1959
07-13-2007, 12:41 AM
attorney will file a motion for change of judge...also sounds like the judge wants out.....

nevadamedic
07-13-2007, 12:48 AM
attorney will file a motion for change of judge...also sounds like the judge wants out.....

It must be tough presiding over cases like this with their graphic details, it would get to me after a while, that's for sure.

manu1959
07-13-2007, 12:50 AM
It must be tough presiding over cases like this with their graphic details, it would get to me after a while, that's for sure.

killed my dad..........he got tired of defending scum

nevadamedic
07-13-2007, 01:07 AM
killed my dad..........he got tired of defending scum

That sucks, I could never be a Defense Attorney for that very reason.