PDA

View Full Version : Gulf war Veteran murders family

Roomy
01-29-2007, 10:46 AM
http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=2701121

A Gulf War veteran has admitted brutally executing four members of his own family after "flipping".

Loner David Bradley shot his uncle, aunt and two cousins at close range with a silenced 7.65mm handgun.

Peter and Josie Purcell, both 70, and their sons Keith, 44, and Glen, 41, were all shot in the head at close range at their home in Newcastle upon Tyne last July.

Bradley admitted four counts of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility after two psychiatrists agreed the ex-soldier was mentally ill at the time of the killings.

He pleaded guilty on the morning that his murder trial was due to begin at Newcastle Crown Court.

Detectives said the massacre happened because Bradley "flipped", began smashing up the house and then fought with his cousin Keith.

It resulted in Bradley killing his family over a five-hour period on the night of July 8 and 9 at their home in the West End of Newcastle.

The former Royal Artillery private, who served in the first Gulf War, Bosnia and Northern Ireland, shot father-of-six Peter and Keith immediately, before lying in wait for his aunt Josie and cousin Glen. After the killings, Bradley stayed in the house.

Then at 5.55am - fully-laden with an arsenal of weapons, including a home-made nail bomb, sawn-off shotgun, silenced pistol and ammunition - he walked to his local police station on Westgate Road to calmly surrender to police. Bradley was immediately arrested on suspicion of murder.

Armed police went to 45 Benwell Grove and at 7.37am they went inside and discovered the bodies of the Purcells.

I didn't know where to post it so shove it wherever you like.

The media over here is trying to say his experiences in the army were the cause of his illness, I don't know if that is true in his case yet but it is quite common for ex servicemen to crack up after leaving the armed services.

This happened about 15 miles away from me.

darin
01-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Gawd - They SURE ARE Playing up the 'soldier' part...geesh.

CSM
01-29-2007, 12:11 PM
http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=2701121

A Gulf War veteran has admitted brutally executing four members of his own family after "flipping".

Loner David Bradley shot his uncle, aunt and two cousins at close range with a silenced 7.65mm handgun.

Peter and Josie Purcell, both 70, and their sons Keith, 44, and Glen, 41, were all shot in the head at close range at their home in Newcastle upon Tyne last July.

Bradley admitted four counts of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility after two psychiatrists agreed the ex-soldier was mentally ill at the time of the killings.

He pleaded guilty on the morning that his murder trial was due to begin at Newcastle Crown Court.

Detectives said the massacre happened because Bradley "flipped", began smashing up the house and then fought with his cousin Keith.

It resulted in Bradley killing his family over a five-hour period on the night of July 8 and 9 at their home in the West End of Newcastle.

The former Royal Artillery private, who served in the first Gulf War, Bosnia and Northern Ireland, shot father-of-six Peter and Keith immediately, before lying in wait for his aunt Josie and cousin Glen. After the killings, Bradley stayed in the house.

Then at 5.55am - fully-laden with an arsenal of weapons, including a home-made nail bomb, sawn-off shotgun, silenced pistol and ammunition - he walked to his local police station on Westgate Road to calmly surrender to police. Bradley was immediately arrested on suspicion of murder.

Armed police went to 45 Benwell Grove and at 7.37am they went inside and discovered the bodies of the Purcells.

I didn't know where to post it so shove it wherever you like.

The media over here is trying to say his experiences in the army were the cause of his illness, I don't know if that is true in his case yet but it is quite common for ex servicemen to crack up after leaving the armed services.

This happened about 15 miles away from me.

I think he did it because he was a Brit! It is quite common for Brits to crack up, ya know, especially when they return to the motherland after being someplace else.

Gaffer
01-29-2007, 01:07 PM
It's necessary to spin the military angle of this to show how evil the military is.

He's using the military aspect to put the blame on something other than himself. He can't take responsibility for his own actions.

If Britain has such strick gun control laws where did this guy get the arsenal he had?

jillian
01-29-2007, 01:17 PM
It's necessary to spin the military angle of this to show how evil the military is.

He's using the military aspect to put the blame on something other than himself. He can't take responsibility for his own actions.

If Britain has such strick gun control laws where did this guy get the arsenal he had?

You know that's silly, right?

Newspapers write to sell papers. If the person had done something good, they'd have played up the military angle, too.

Roomy
01-29-2007, 01:18 PM

Probably took them off a dead Iraqi:eek:

Roomy
01-29-2007, 01:19 PM
I think he did it because he was a Brit! It is quite common for Brits to crack up, ya know, especially when they return to the motherland after being someplace else.

I kill someone after every holiday abroad.:laugh:

Gaffer
01-29-2007, 01:49 PM
You know that's silly, right?

Newspapers write to sell papers. If the person had done something good, they'd have played up the military angle, too.

Negative, the papers are out to sell their agenda. And anti-military is a major part of their agenda. If the person had done something good it would never have been mentioned that he was in the military.

CSM
01-29-2007, 01:51 PM

Of course you do! And every soldier kills his family immediately upon returning from a war zone! It is, as you say, "common"!

CSM
01-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Probably took them off a dead Iraqi:eek:

Ah, very possibly true! Of course, the strict anti-gun laws prevented that!

Roomy
01-30-2007, 02:35 AM
Ah, very possibly true! Of course, the strict anti-gun laws prevented that!

I don't think theft, smuggling or owning illegal firearms would worry a man that murders his family, do you?

You should embrace England, afterall we allowed you to 'be';)

CSM
01-30-2007, 07:18 AM
I don't think theft, smuggling or owning illegal firearms would worry a man that murders his family, do you?

You should embrace England, afterall we allowed you to 'be';)

LOL! You allowed us to "be" after we kicked you out of the country. You even came back for a second try and got your butts kicked by a bunch of hillbillies! Oh yeah, then we went over and saved your bacon from a Charlie Chaplin look alike. Guess we allowed you to "be" in the end!

Nienna
01-30-2007, 10:15 AM

Did you go to Florida yet, Roomy? I thought you were supposed to go sometime soon...

jimnyc
01-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Edited thread title from 'muders' to 'murders'. Was starting to annoy me :)

darin
01-30-2007, 10:32 AM
fwiw, I bet the guy drove a car from time to time. Perhaps the author should have said:

An Automobile driver has admitted brutally executing four members of his own family after "flipping".

Bradley admitted four counts of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility after two psychiatrists agreed the driver was mentally ill at the time of the killings.

The former Ford Mondeo driver, who got his license at age 19, shot father-of-six Peter and Keith immediately, before lying in wait for his aunt Josie and cousin Glen. After the killings, Bradley stayed in the house.

CSM
01-30-2007, 10:34 AM
fwiw, I bet the guy drove a car from time to time. Perhaps the author should have said:

Well, I bet the guy used the bathroom rather frequently too...might be a connection!

Roomy
01-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Edited thread title from 'muders' to 'murders'. Was starting to annoy me :)

Thanks it was driving me nuts but I couldn't edit the heading:dunno:

Roomy
01-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Did you go to Florida yet, Roomy? I thought you were supposed to go sometime soon...

We were supposed to be going to a wedding but missed it because of work commitments, they had a wedding party this last saturday here in England I made that one:beer:

Roomy
01-30-2007, 12:19 PM
LOL! You allowed us to "be" after we kicked you out of the country. You even came back for a second try and got your butts kicked by a bunch of hillbillies! Oh yeah, then we went over and saved your bacon from a Charlie Chaplin look alike. Guess we allowed you to "be" in the end!

You and half of the rest of the world, we chose to continue ruling the rest of the world and gave you your freedom, you should kiss every Frenchmans ass you meet and wear dutch clogs with pride.:laugh:

CSM
01-30-2007, 12:19 PM
We were supposed to be going to a wedding but missed it because of work commitments, they had a wedding party this last saturday here in England I made that one:beer:

That truly is too bad. But cheer up England is a lot like Florida except for the weather, the people, the culture, the politics and just about everything else one could mention.

Just yanking your chain, Roomy.

Roomy
01-30-2007, 12:21 PM
That truly is too bad. But cheer up England is a lot like Florida except for the weather, the people, the culture, the politics and just about everything else one could mention.

Just yanking your chain, Roomy.

:)

Roomy
01-30-2007, 12:25 PM
It was reported in the papers today that he got the handgun in Bosnia for a few packs of ciggies.

CSM
01-30-2007, 12:29 PM
You and half of the rest of the world, we chose to continue ruling the rest of the world and gave you your freedom, you should kiss every Frenchmans ass you meet and wear dutch clogs with pride.:laugh:

Naw, paid that debt in the 1940's. There are some US politicians, though who think they are French!

CSM
01-30-2007, 12:30 PM
It was reported in the papers today that he got the handgun in Bosnia for a few packs of ciggies.

The question is, how did he get it in the country?

Roomy
01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
The question is, how did he get it in the country?
Soldiers carry a lot of stuff back they aren't supposed to.

CSM
01-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Soldiers carry a lot of stuff back they aren't supposed to.

Yep they do. I am not sure how it works in the UK but its pretty tough for a US soldier to get a firearm into the country. Not saying it cannot or isn't done; it's just not easy or common.

Roomy
01-30-2007, 12:58 PM
The home made bomb he had was made from an army training thunderflash wrapped up with nails.You can't buy thunderflashes from the corner shop either.

CSM
01-30-2007, 12:59 PM
The home made bomb he had was made from an army training thunderflash wrapped up with nails.You can't buy thunderflashes from the corner shop either.

Well, then the answer is obvious. Outlaw the military! That should do it.