PDA

View Full Version : College pre-title games

jimnyc
01-01-2016, 03:11 AM
Clemson ended up pulling away on Oklahoma and won 37-17. Alabama just stomped Michigan State 38-0.

Clemson and Alabama will play for the national championship on monday the 11th. I'm hoping that Clemson finds a way to win this one, but Alabama is really looking good now.

Gunny
01-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Clemson ended up pulling away on Oklahoma and won 37-17. Alabama just stomped Michigan State 38-0.

Clemson and Alabama will play for the national championship on monday the 11th. I'm hoping that Clemson finds a way to win this one, but Alabama is really looking good now.

I actually think they have cheapened the bowl games big time. Who DOESN'T get to go to one? The local community college? They used to have them all on New Year's Eve or Day. When there was like only 5. We need to get back to rewarding accomplishment, not losers.

Elessar
01-01-2016, 04:01 PM
I actually think they have cheapened the bowl games big time. Who DOESN'T get to go to one? The local community college? They used to have them all on New Year's Eve or Day. When there was like only 5. We need to get back to rewarding accomplishment, not losers.

I could not agree more. There are something like 120-124 NCAA Div I schools that field teams. At the end of the year, roughly half of
those schools get Bowl bids, even ones that had .500% or slightly above regular season records.

It is all about revenue, not competition.

And the idea of playoffs for an eventual national champion is preposterous. For one it would lengthen the season immensely.
Secondly, those kids are "supposed" to be in school for an education. Thirdly more games played would destroy their bodies.

Gunny
01-01-2016, 05:15 PM
I could not agree more. There are something like 120-124 NCAA Div I schools that field teams. At the end of the year, roughly half of
those schools get Bowl bids, even ones that had .500% or slightly above regular season records.

It is all about revenue, not competition.

And the idea of playoffs for an eventual national champion is preposterous. For one it would lengthen the season immensely.
Secondly, those kids are "supposed" to be in school for an education. Thirdly more games played would destroy their bodies.

I agree. except it's also about rewarding losers. No Child Left Behind. I've lost plenty of games and more than a few fights in the ring/on the mat. If I get beat, I get beat. There's no crying in baseball and I have ZERO empathy and/or sympathy for those that do. Take your ass-kicking and move on the next game. And if you don't make the grade, no bowl game/tournament. Try again or quit but you ain't getting crap out of me if you can't hang.