PDA

View Full Version : Hunting

Bilgerat
01-01-2016, 08:07 PM
Now, tell me you could shoot this tree rat after this act :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg-c1GaRbzc

NightTrain
01-01-2016, 08:42 PM
I really like squirrels and love watching their antics, especially when they're teasing dogs.

Unfortunately, they wreaked havoc on our insulation on the cabin even though I installed a wire mesh to keep them out - they'll work on getting through the mesh and after a few months of hard labor they'll gain access and steal the insulation to their nests!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-01-2016, 08:58 PM
I really like squirrels and love watching their antics, especially when they're teasing dogs.

Unfortunately, they wreaked havoc on our insulation on the cabin even though I installed a wire mesh to keep them out - they'll work on getting through the mesh and after a few months of hard labor they'll gain access and steal the insulation to their nests!

In over 5 decades of squirrel hunting(for food) I've easily dispatched a few thousand of the tree rats.
Reds squirrels are bigger but the gray squirrels taste much better when properly fried and the grease used to make the gravy!!
A bad cook can ruin any food. A good Southern cook can make you beg for more fried squirrel, red-eye gravy and homemade biscuits. I can not cook 'em that good but my mom and grandmother could and did often!
Sometimes all we ate that day was the 8 to 12 squirrels I shot with my single shot 22 caliber rifle.
With 11 kids and two adults eating even 12 was not big feast. On lucky hunts I've killed up to 21 back then as a kid.
I laugh and call then tree rats but damn those rats sure do taste good.-Tyr

Black Diamond
01-01-2016, 10:34 PM
In over 5 decades of squirrel hunting(for food) I've easily dispatched a few thousand of the tree rats.
Reds squirrels are bigger but the gray squirrels taste much better when properly fried and the grease used to make the gravy!!
A bad cook can ruin any food. A good Southern cook can make you beg for more fried squirrel, red-eye gravy and homemade biscuits. I can not cook 'em that good but my mom and grandmother could and did often!
Sometimes all we ate that day was the 8 to 12 squirrels I shot with my single shot 22 caliber rifle.
With 11 kids and two adults eating even 12 was not big feast. On lucky hunts I've killed up to 21 back then as a kid.

Ever kill a flying squirrel?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-02-2016, 01:25 AM
Ever kill a flying squirrel?

Baby flying squirrel jumped out of a tree back in 1970 hit me on the shoulder landing short of its goal its first jump apparently. .
It was very young, I was 16 years old back then and foolishly
let the man down the street have it for a promised 4 dollars--he never paid me.
He had it trained to stay in his shirt pocket , come out to retrieve nuts he placed
on his shoulders.
Worked the bars getting free drinks, enticing the pretty bar maids and becoming quite
popular.
I made a vow never to get shafted on a promised payment again after that little caper.
By the way years later scared him to death when I brought it up in a bar I was 19 and he just knew he was about to get stomped all to hell and back. But he was my older brother's very good friend, so I let it go, admonished him never ever cross me again in any way on anything.

No, never would , never did ever, shoot one as they are all skin and no meat!!!
Had one by our farmhouse back in 67, I was thirteen could have easily shot it on the
fly with my 12 gauge longtom shotgun but never did.
This hungry COUNTRY boy was after MEAT!! LOL--TYR

Gunny
01-02-2016, 08:46 AM
I've actually only hunted things that walk on four legs once when I was little kid. Never hit anything though. My grandfather got a major kick out of a 6 years old firing his 12 gauge though. Knocked me ass over tea kettle and I thought he was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard. :laugh:

Otherwise, they got this place called the meat section in the grocery store where I go hunting. :)

Elessar
01-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Now, tell me you could shoot this tree rat after this act :laugh:

Damn...that was funny!

Elessar
01-02-2016, 11:46 AM

I had a high school friend who was a dead shot with a .22LR.
We were on his farm one day, with the rifle in the back seat when he spotted a rabbit.
He jammed the car to a halt grabbed the rifle and the rabbit bolted straight away.
Arnold took one shot and the rabbit dropped.
We went over and could not find the entry point.
He had shot it straight up the ass!:laugh:

Gunny
01-02-2016, 12:48 PM
We were on his farm one day, with the rifle in the back seat when he spotted a rabbit.
He jammed the car to a halt grabbed the rifle and the rabbit bolted straight away.

If anyone wants to shoot ME, aim for something besides my ass. You know how much sh*t you take in sick call for that? We had half the platoon inside sick bay giving this LCpl sh*t for it. :laugh:

Elessar
01-02-2016, 12:53 PM
If anyone wants to shoot ME, aim for something besides my ass. You know how much sh*t you take in sick call for that? We had half the platoon inside sick bay giving this LCpl sh*t for it. :laugh:

That reminds me of Jacob McCandles' (John Wayne) son James in "Big Jake".
Got peppered in the butt with buckshot!

"In a fight like that always keep your butt down. There's
always some wise-acre that will shoot you there.":laugh:

Gunny
01-02-2016, 12:56 PM
That reminds me of Jacob McCandles' (John Wayne) son James in "El Dorado".
Got peppered in the butt with buckshot!

"In a fight like that always keep your butt down. There's
always some wise-acre that will shoot you there.":laugh:

I was going to say that. But you got the movie wrong. He was Jacob McCandles in Big Jake. But if your ass is higher up than your head, that Purple Heart needs to go right on the wound. :laugh:

That's my favorite John Wayne movie, btw. :)

Elessar
01-02-2016, 01:00 PM
I was going to say that. But you got the movie wrong. He was Jacob McCandles in Big Jake. But if your ass is higher up than your head, that Purple Heart needs to go right on the wound. :laugh:

That's my favorite John Wayne movie, btw. :)

You're right. Thanks for the correction. I'll go back and correct it.
I have a whole pile of his movies.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-02-2016, 01:02 PM

MY OLDER BROTHER DRILLED A RABBIT STANDING , RIGHT THRU THE EARS WITH A 22 CALIBER RIFLE SINGLE SHOT.
But VERY obvious was the entry and the exit. HE WAS SHOOTING 22 CALIBER STINGERS.....
Later he claimed that was his true aiming. We laughed him out of the room.
Lucky shots are often amazing. Your true story about your friend's shot proves it. -TYR

Elessar
01-02-2016, 03:50 PM
MY OLDER BROTHER DRILLED A RABBIT STANDING , RIGHT THRU THE EARS WITH A 22 CALIBER RIFLE SINGLE SHOT.
But VERY obvious was the entry and the exit. HE WAS SHOOTING 22 CALIBER STINGERS.....
Later he claimed that was his true aiming. We laughed him out of the room.
Lucky shots are often amazing. Your true story about your friend's shot proves it. -TYR

Well, my jaw dropped on Arnold's shot!:laugh:

Gunny
01-02-2016, 04:44 PM
You're right. Thanks for the correction. I'll go back and correct it.
I have a whole pile of his movies.

I saw the Cowboys and Big Jake at the base theater on Fort Benning. I wanted to kill Bruce Dern myself. My grandmother had to calm me down. I was some kind of upset. :laugh:

Interesting thing ... although nothing to do with the OP ... I saw the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance at Karamursel AFB, Turkey, and Rio Lobo and El Dorado on Iraklion AFB, Crete. Movies were 35 cents and popcorn a dime.

Elessar
01-02-2016, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=Gunny;790077]I saw the Cowboys and Big Jake at the base theater on Fort Benning. I wanted to kill Bruce Dern myself. My grandmother had to calm me down. I was some kind of upset. :laugh:

Interesting thing ... although nothing to do with the OP ... I saw the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance at Karamursel AFB, Turkey, and Rio Lobo and El Dorado on Iraklion AFB, Crete. Movies were 35 cents and popcorn a dime.[/QUOTE}

I love his Westerns.....:rolleyes:

Black Diamond
01-02-2016, 07:37 PM
Gunny. They had a biography on Ken stabler on the NFL network. My wife said he looked like Bruce Dern in his old age. :cool:

Elessar
01-02-2016, 08:36 PM
I saw the Cowboys and Big Jake at the base theater on Fort Benning. I wanted to kill Bruce Dern myself. My grandmother had to calm me down. I was some kind of upset. :laugh:

Interesting thing ... although nothing to do with the OP ... I saw the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance at Karamursel AFB, Turkey, and Rio Lobo and El Dorado on Iraklion AFB, Crete. Movies were 35 cents and popcorn a dime.

Those were the good old days!

Gunny
01-03-2016, 03:19 AM
Those were the good old days!

Right? Now you have to sign over your first born for popcorn and a Coke.

Elessar
01-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Baby flying squirrel jumped out of a tree back in 1970 hit me on the shoulder landing short of its goal its first jump apparently. .
It was very young, I was 16 years old back then and foolishly
let the man down the street have it for a promised 4 dollars--he never paid me.
He had it trained to stay in his shirt pocket , come out to retrieve nuts he placed
on his shoulders.
LOL--TYR

Yet, that still had to be cute with that little critter!