PDA

View Full Version : SHTF Threads

Perianne
01-03-2016, 10:42 PM
I have long advocated for a SHTF forum of its own. I will start some threads in this forum and see where they go.

SHTF is a great interest of mine. I am now alone in this world with only my daughter. I have to prepare.

Anyway, over the next few days/weeks I will start posting things about survival. I invite all to join in.

One thing I ask, since I will be starting several different threads about different issues, is that we keep the discussion focused on the issue that is present, if at all possible. If another topic needs to be discussed, then please start a new thread.

jimnyc
01-03-2016, 10:56 PM
I know this is end of the world survival type stuff, but what does SHTF stand for?

Perianne
01-03-2016, 10:57 PM
I know this is end of the world survival type stuff, but what does SHTF stand for?

It is a bad word.

It stand for when the Sh*t Hits The Fan.

PixieStix
01-03-2016, 10:57 PM

Shit hits the fan, I think :thumb:

jimnyc
01-03-2016, 11:00 PM
It is a bad word, so forgive me.

It stand for when the Sh*t Hits The Fan.

Damn! I knew that actually. I just wanted to try and trick you and see how you would type out the response. :) See, told you I was a jerk!

tailfins
01-03-2016, 11:45 PM
For people with Autism, everyday is a SHTF day. The only thing worse is Autism with helicopter parents. While my dad wasn't a bad guy, when he died after I turned 20, I was grateful to be able to solve my own problems. BTW, American women are the worst offenders regarding discriminating against Autistic people on a personal basis. They have no room to complain about a glass ceiling when they slam the door in the face of the disabled.

LongTermGuy
01-03-2016, 11:56 PM
​Is there a fresh water supply near by?

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/water.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/00/a6/f6/00a6f664538e2d5d3cf032ce036cb662.jpg
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/c1/66/c9/c166c9d8d3e152d77efcbbbd6f358757.jpg

Perianne
01-04-2016, 02:43 AM
One thing I ask, since I will be starting several different threads about different issues, is that we keep the discussion focused on the issue that is present, if at all possible. If another topic needs to be discussed, then please start a new thread.

Like the following.

For people with Autism, everyday is a SHTF day. The only thing worse is Autism with helicopter parents. While my dad wasn't a bad guy, when he died after I turned 20, I was grateful to be able to solve my own problems. BTW, American women are the worst offenders regarding discriminating against Autistic people on a personal basis. They have no room to complain about a glass ceiling when they slam the door in the face of the disabled.

Drummond
01-04-2016, 09:08 AM
It'll be interesting to see how this thread develops.

For now, I'm taking it as a classic 'survivalist against global catastrophe' sort of thread.

My comment .. in the event of nuclear war, no level of survival would be anything more than temporary. Radiation fallout would see to that. Radiation dosage has a cumulative effect .. even low levels accumulate over sufficient time. If we, in the UK, had somehow been exposed to the maximum radiation spike we had after Chernobyl, for example, severe radiation sickness would've debilitated us long ago ... after a mere 2 years' worth of exposure to those levels.

As it was, we only had one weeks' worth of comparatively radioactive air to contend with, before the winds blew it beyond our borders. Harmless, easily ignored, but ONLY because it only lasted a week.

glockmail
01-04-2016, 01:07 PM
​Is there a fresh water supply near by?

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/water.jpg

Watch out, that first step's a Duzzy!

glockmail
01-04-2016, 01:33 PM
I'm not exactly a "prepper", although I have taken several steps to increase my chance of surviving a global economic meltdown. The first is understanding what the most likely scenario is, then preparing for that. It is likely that China calls in our debt and the Fed does what all GovCo's do in that situation, where they simply accelerate their printing of money, to the point where the dollar collapses.

There are other likely scenarios but the all pretty much result in the collapse of the dollar.

There's a run on the banks, and everyone runs to the store to buy what they can before their cash is worthless. Credit card purchase approvals are not going to happen. Warehouse are full, but truckers can't haul stuff to retailers because they can't buy fuel. And the roads are all shut down because everyone is trying to escape the cities and dumbass city dwellers don't have fuel in their tanks, and are too dumb to pull off the travel lanes when they run out.

All hell will break loose because the majority of city dwellers have no plan. All the freeloaders will loot and steal.

Surviving that shit requires, number one, don't live in a big city. In fact don't live anywhere within one or two day's walk from a big city.

Second have enough gas in your tank to get home. I always try fill up before I'm half empty.

Next have enough food and water in your pantry for about two weeks. And the means to defend it.

Electricity will likely go out, not because the utilities shut down but because of vandalism and acts of terrorism by Muslims who live among us. They'll see an opportunity and go for it. So if it's winter you better have a secondary heat source.

You should plan on having something to barter with if your supplies start to run out. I have a few hundred dollars worth of silver one-ounce coins just for that purpose.

I also have water filters, sleeping bags, tents, etc. All camping equipment that can be used for emergency situations.

Next I have tools for harvesting small game. A .22LR rifle with a stainless steel barrel, 20ga shotgun for birds, hunting knife, etc. My defense pistol will dispatch a deer slowed down by the .22.

tailfins
01-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Like the following.

Sorry I bothered replying to your post. SHTF can mean many things. I have no time for people that demand you read their mind.

Drummond
01-04-2016, 05:06 PM
I'm not exactly a "prepper", although I have taken several steps to increase my chance of surviving a global economic meltdown. The first is understanding what the most likely scenario is, then preparing for that. It is likely that China calls in our debt and the Fed does what all GovCo's do in that situation, where they simply accelerate their printing of money, to the point where the dollar collapses.

There are other likely scenarios but the all pretty much result in the collapse of the dollar.

There's a run on the banks, and everyone runs to the store to buy what they can before their cash is worthless. Credit card purchase approvals are not going to happen. Warehouse are full, but truckers can't haul stuff to retailers because they can't buy fuel. And the roads are all shut down because everyone is trying to escape the cities and dumbass city dwellers don't have fuel in their tanks, and are too dumb to pull off the travel lanes when they run out.

All hell will break loose because the majority of city dwellers have no plan. All the freeloaders will loot and steal.

Surviving that shit requires, number one, don't live in a big city. In fact don't live anywhere within one or two day's walk from a big city.

Second have enough gas in your tank to get home. I always try fill up before I'm half empty.

Next have enough food and water in your pantry for about two weeks. And the means to defend it.

Electricity will likely go out, not because the utilities shut down but because of vandalism and acts of terrorism by Muslims who live among us. They'll see an opportunity and go for it. So if it's winter you better have a secondary heat source.

You should plan on having something to barter with if your supplies start to run out. I have a few hundred dollars worth of silver one-ounce coins just for that purpose.

I also have water filters, sleeping bags, tents, etc. All camping equipment that can be used for emergency situations.

Next I have tools for harvesting small game. A .22LR rifle with a stainless steel barrel, 20ga shotgun for birds, hunting knife, etc. My defense pistol will dispatch a deer slowed down by the .22.

Some good points, I think. A pity that a Brit couldn't hope to do all of this without risking arrest ...

I wonder about your point on the weakness of the dollar, though. I see this as a 'too big to fail' scenario, in that the dollar is tied into so much across the world, that any collapse of it would see the world's economies go the same way .. and not even China would be immune to the effects of that, not by a long shot ! Unless Chinese economists were enormously stupid, they'd never risk precipitating any such collapse.

Elessar
01-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Watch out, that first step's a Duzzy!

Hell....I would not mind a place like that! Lovely setting!:laugh:

Perianne
01-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Sorry I bothered replying to your post. SHTF can mean many things. I have no time for people that demand you read their mind.
tailfins

You are right, sir. I didn't take into account your viewpoint. SHTF can indeed mean many things to different people. I am sorry for pointing out your post as I did. Please forgive me. :(

glockmail
01-05-2016, 12:06 AM
Some good points, I think. A pity that a Brit couldn't hope to do all of this without risking arrest ...

I wonder about your point on the weakness of the dollar, though. I see this as a 'too big to fail' scenario, in that the dollar is tied into so much across the world, that any collapse of it would see the world's economies go the same way .. and not even China would be immune to the effects of that, not by a long shot ! Unless Chinese economists were enormously stupid, they'd never risk precipitating any such collapse.
The Chinese are far from stupid. They decoupled themselves from the dollar about half way through The Obama's presidency.

glockmail
01-05-2016, 12:08 AM
Hell....I would not mind a place like that! Lovely setting!:laugh:

Water is always an attractant for humans, and the bane of structures.