PDA

View Full Version : Food Labeling

indago
01-04-2016, 06:56 AM
Journalist Mary Clare Jalonick wrote for The Associated Press 4 January 2016:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's now harder to find out where your beef or pork was born, raised and slaughtered. After more than a decade of wrangling, Congress repealed a labeling law last month that required retailers to include the animal's country of origin on packages of red meat. It's a major victory for the meat industry, which had fought the law in Congress and the courts since the early 2000s.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CONGRESS_MEAT_LABELING?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-01-04-03-59-19)

Noir
01-04-2016, 08:06 AM
Sure food isn't important, right?
Shame Congress.

fj1200
01-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Lawmakers said they had no choice but to get rid of the labels after the World Trade Organization repeatedly ruled against them. The WTO recently authorized Canada and Mexico, which had challenged the law, to begin more than $1 billion in economic retaliation against the United States.

:dunno:

Drummond
01-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Journalist Mary Clare Jalonick wrote for The Associated Press 4 January 2016:
It's now harder to find out where your beef or pork was born, raised and slaughtered. After more than a decade of wrangling, Congress repealed a labeling law last month that required retailers to include the animal's country of origin on packages of red meat. It's a major victory for the meat industry, which had fought the law in Congress and the courts since the early 2000s.

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CONGRESS_MEAT_LABELING?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-01-04-03-59-19)

Remarkable.

In the UK, it's a different story. A couple of years ago, we had a major scandal .. involving the suppliers of ready-made meals providing their supermarket customers with meals containing a percentage of horsemeat. It was done to save on costs, and was illegal ... no horsemeat, of course, should've been in them !!

Fact was that consumers had had no idea that they were eating horsemeat. It made the industry a scandal-riven one for quite a time, and highlighted the need for very stringent checking on all aspects of food production, including the origin of meat.

Our supermarkets label all meat packages with 'country of origin' labelling .. as standard, and according to legal mandate. Meat producers have probably never been more controlled than they are now.

Noir
01-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Remarkable. In the UK, it's a different story. A couple of years ago, we had a major scandal .. involving the suppliers of ready-made meals providing their supermarket customers with meals containing a percentage of horsemeat. It was done to save on costs, and was illegal ... no horsemeat, of course, should've been in them !! Fact was that consumers had had no idea that they were eating horsemeat. It made the industry a scandal-riven one for quite a time, and highlighted the need for very stringent checking on all aspects of food production, including the origin of meat. Our supermarkets label all meat packages with 'country of origin' labelling .. as standard, and according to legal mandate. Meat producers have probably never been more controlled than they are now.

Was certainly a weird few weeks, but most importantly was a good time for reflection (:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/397CB37B-97B4-41E2-83BB-8C926E832CBF_zpsrno98alf.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jonathan-mcc/media/397CB37B-97B4-41E2-83BB-8C926E832CBF_zpsrno98alf.jpg.html)

Drummond
01-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Was certainly a weird few weeks, but most importantly was a good time for reflection (:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/397CB37B-97B4-41E2-83BB-8C926E832CBF_zpsrno98alf.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jonathan-mcc/media/397CB37B-97B4-41E2-83BB-8C926E832CBF_zpsrno98alf.jpg.html)

Your point ?

Some meat is fit for human consumption. Some is not. And consumers have every right to know what type of meat they're eating.

Since you're trying (pathetically) to 'show' zero differences .. are you arguing for zero need for accountability ?

Or are you just trying to score a diversionary 'let's go vegan' point, which is really beside the point ?

Noir
01-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Your point ?

Some meat is fit for human consumption. Some is not. And consumers have every right to know what type of meat they're eating.

Since you're trying (pathetically) to 'show' zero differences .. are you arguing for zero need for accountability ?

Or are you just trying to score a diversionary 'let's go vegan' point, which is really beside the point ?

Drummond you really need to lighten up.
Enjoy the rest of your Monday.

fj1200
01-04-2016, 11:03 AM
This was humorous.

Gunny
01-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Your point ?

I agree in the sense that you should know what type of meat you are eating. However, I really don't need to know the cow's lineage. People waste so much time of their lives on completely dumbass stuff.

In the world we live in, someone's biggest issue is where the cow came from and what it ate? Someone needs to get a job. Too much time on their hands. Why people think they're going to cheat death beats me. You bring over some ribeyes and I'm stoking up the grill and I don't care if they came from Iceland. If you want beer, you'll have to bring your own. I got ice tea and Gatorade. :)

glockmail
01-04-2016, 03:10 PM
Sure food isn't important, right?
Shame Congress.

Shame the WTO you mean, right?

Noir
01-05-2016, 03:23 AM
Shame the WTO you mean, right?

Oh yes there is plenty of shame to be passed around.

sundaydriver
01-05-2016, 05:56 AM
Since the 'BEEF" here is 99% meat imported from Canada & Mexico I'm not overly worried. If it were about meat from China that the animals spent their short lives drinking polluted water & polluted grains, that would be worrisome to the point I would be eating at Noir's house.

Drummond
01-05-2016, 07:56 AM
I agree in the sense that you should know what type of meat you are eating. However, I really don't need to know the cow's lineage. People waste so much time of their lives on completely dumbass stuff.

In the world we live in, someone's biggest issue is where the cow came from and what it ate? Someone needs to get a job. Too much time on their hands. Why people think they're going to cheat death beats me. You bring over some ribeyes and I'm stoking up the grill and I don't care if they came from Iceland. If you want beer, you'll have to bring your own. I got ice tea and Gatorade. :)

I'd agree with you without reservation, if it weren't for the need to be alert to diseases in herd stocks. Over here, we've had a handful of 'mad cow disease' scares over the years. Someone who's bought beef labelled as coming from New Zealand for a time, but faced with news of an outbreak in British herds, will feel more reassured than otherwise !

[Trouble with that disease is that humans, it's said, can live with infection for years before symptoms become clear.]

We had a bad outbreak some years ago, and still get scare stories about it. A recent one, dated October last year ....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/mad-cow-disease-in-the-uk-what-is-bse-and-what-are-the-symptoms-a6675351.html

A dead cow has been found to carry “mad cow disease” in Wales, with authorities claiming the meat had not entered the human food chain and there was no risk to public health.

What is mad cow disease?

Medically referred to as Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), “mad cow disease” is a neurodegenerative disease that can mutate and spread to humans. This strain is known as Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD).

When did the disease first appear in the UK?

The first confirmed case in Britain was 1986. However, the disease is notoriously hard to track as its incubation period can be anything from a few months to eight years.

What causes the disease?

It is caused by a deficient protein called a prion. Although there is still huge discussion within the scientific community in the origin of the disease, a British and Irish inquiry into the outbreak concluded it had been caused in the UK by feeding cattle the remains of infected cows.

How dangerous is it to humans?

There have been 177 cases to date of the human strain of mad cow disease in the UK. The last was in 2012.

How do humans catch it?

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) vCJD is most frequently caught by eating beef infected with BSE. There have been only four cases globally of infection by blood transfusion.

What are the symptoms?

Humans – WHO notes patients usually experience “depression, apathy or anxiety”. They also report victims have difficulty walking and controlling their limbs. By the time of death victims are “completely immobile and mute.”

Of course, another instance of this phenomenon could be an outbreak of Lefties who suddenly face up to the truth about Obama ....:rolleyes:

Perianne
01-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Of course, another instance of this phenomenon could be an outbreak of Lefties who suddenly face up to the truth about Obama ....:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a6YdNmK77k

Drummond
01-05-2016, 08:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a6YdNmK77k:clap::clap::clap::clap:

glockmail
01-05-2016, 08:51 AM
Oh yes there is plenty of shame to be passed around.
Yet the WTO did this. So why is your ire directed at the US Congress?

Noir
01-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Yet the WTO did this. So why is your ire directed at the US Congress?

WTO have no legislative power.

fj1200
01-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Since the 'BEEF" here is 99% meat imported from Canada & Mexico I'm not overly worried. If it were about meat from China that the animals spent their short lives drinking polluted water & polluted grains, that would be worrisome to the point I would be eating at Noir's house.

I imagine that they still need to meet various food safety laws. Not sure why the WTO thinks transparency is bad. :confused:

fj1200
01-05-2016, 01:35 PM
WTO have no legislative power.

They have treaty power. The Senate would have had their legislative say in it at ratification time.

Elessar
01-05-2016, 02:03 PM
Drummond you really need to lighten up.
Enjoy the rest of your Monday.

Well, You made no sense. As usual.

glockmail
01-05-2016, 03:26 PM
WTO have no legislative power. Nice dodge, but as FJ stated, they have power, and they used it to do what you oppose. So why is your ire directed at the US Congress?