PDA

View Full Version : A Riddle

Mr. P
07-13-2007, 01:52 PM
There are three light bulbs in a room, and three light switches outside the room. You are outside, and want to match up which switch goes with which light bulb. You can only travel into the room once, and cannot come back in again. You can do anything you want upon entering the room. How can you set the situation so that you will know which switch goes with which light bulb?

5stringJeff
07-13-2007, 08:09 PM
SPOILER (Mr P, tell me if I'm right)

------------------

Call the three switches A, B, and C.

1. Turn two switches on (say, A and B).

2. Enter the room. You know that the switch you didn't flip (C) operates the light that isn't on.

3. Unscrew one of the two bulbs that are on. In this case, let's unscrew A.

4. Leave the room, and turn off a switch that you just turned on. If the light goes off, that swtch operates B, and you know all three. If the light doesn't go off, that switch operates A, so you still know all three.

Mr. P
07-13-2007, 08:24 PM
SPOILER (Mr P, tell me if I'm right)

------------------

Call the three switches A, B, and C.

1. Turn two switches on (say, A and B).

2. Enter the room. You know that the switch you didn't flip (C) operates the light that isn't on.

3. Unscrew one of the two bulbs that are on. In this case, let's unscrew A.

4. Leave the room, and turn off a switch that you just turned on. If the light goes off, that swtch operates B, and you know all three. If the light doesn't go off, that switch operates A, so you still know all three.

Nope. sorry Jeff. You can't see the lights unless you are in the room.

Yurt
07-13-2007, 08:57 PM
There are three light bulbs in a room, and three light switches outside the room. You are outside, and want to match up which switch goes with which light bulb. You can only travel into the room once, and cannot come back in again. You can do anything you want upon entering the room. How can you set the situation so that you will know which switch goes with which light bulb?

Easy. Don't turn any switch on. And when you walk into the room, declare it a failure, and leave.

Sincerely,

Dimocrat
Idiot at Life

Mr. P
07-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Easy. Don't turn any switch on. And when you walk into the room, declare it a failure, and leave.

Sincerely,

Dimocrat
Idiot at Life

:laugh2:

Mr. P
07-15-2007, 08:12 AM
I will post the answer tonight (7/15) @9 p.m. EDT.

glockmail
07-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Can I use a volt meter?

Mr. P
07-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Can I use a volt meter?

:laugh2: No.

glockmail
07-15-2007, 12:20 PM
1. Turn on switches a and b, leave c off.
2. Go in the room, identify lamp c.
3. Take one of the lit bulbs out and leave the room.
4. Turn off switch a, then slowly turn it back on, and listen for a little shorting sound as the contacts close on a live circuit. If no noise, then that switch controls the lamp that you took the bulb out. If there is a noise, it controls the lamp that was lit when you left the room.
5. Repeat with switch b to confirm.

Mr. P
07-15-2007, 12:28 PM
1. Turn on switches a and b, leave c off.
2. Go in the room, identify lamp c.
3. Take one of the lit bulbs out and leave the room.
4. Turn off switch a, then slowly turn it back on, and listen for a little shorting sound as the contacts close on a live circuit. If no noise, then that switch controls the lamp that you took the bulb out. If there is a noise, it controls the lamp that was lit when you left the room.
5. Repeat with switch b to confirm.

That would work, but you must match the switches from the visit to the room with the bulbs.

glockmail
07-15-2007, 12:35 PM
That would work, but you must match the switches from the visit to the room with the bulbs. Didn't I do that?

Mr. P
07-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Didn't I do that?

No, you listened to the switches..You must decide which bulbs go with which switches based on your visit to the room with bulbs.

LOki
07-15-2007, 12:58 PM
1. Turn on 2 of the three switches.

2. After enough time has elapsed for the bulbs to get hot, turn off one switch.

3. Enter the room, note which light is still on--it's switch is still on;

4. Note which bulb is off and cold--it's switch was the one never turned on;

5. Note which bulb is off and hot--it's the one that you shut off.

jimnyc
07-15-2007, 06:38 PM
1. Turn on 2 of the three switches.

2. After enough time has elapsed for the bulbs to get hot, turn off one switch.

3. Enter the room, note which light is still on--it's switch is still on;

4. Note which bulb is off and cold--it's switch was the one never turned on;

5. Note which bulb is off and hot--it's the one that you shut off.

I smell a Googler! I knew the answer too, after Google of course.

glockmail
07-15-2007, 06:42 PM
I smell a Googler! I knew the answer too, after Google of course.
No shit. Except LOki claimed it as his own. What a douche-bag. :pee:

jimnyc
07-15-2007, 06:44 PM
No shit. Except LOki claimed it as his own. What a douche-bag. :pee:

Hell, maybe he is that smart. I gotta say, although I disagree with a lot of what I read by him, he does seem like a pretty smart cookie! But I would be a little nervous of anyone who got this answer right without searching. It's just not normal to think like that! LOL

glockmail
07-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Hell, maybe he is that smart. I gotta say, although I disagree with a lot of what I read by him, he does seem like a pretty smart cookie! But I would be a little nervous of anyone who got this answer right without searching. It's just not normal to think like that! LOL I'd say he's got an IQ over 110 maybe. But I know he thinks he's smarter than he is. Otherwise he wouldn't have to try and prove it constantly.

jimnyc
07-15-2007, 06:55 PM
I'd say he's got an IQ over 110 maybe. But I know he thinks he's smarter than he is. Otherwise he wouldn't have to try and prove it constantly.

I can be smart too, I just prefer being dumb, it's much easier! :laugh2:

LOki
07-15-2007, 07:35 PM
No shit. Except LOki claimed it as his own. What a douche-bag. :pee:You're a lying sack of shit. Typical, and unsurprising.

glockmail
07-15-2007, 07:39 PM
You're a lying sack of shit. Typical, and unsurprising. :pee:

jackass
07-15-2007, 07:52 PM
I knew the answer all along.... :rolleyes:

LOki
07-15-2007, 08:00 PM
:pee::321:

5stringJeff
07-15-2007, 08:09 PM
I'd say he's got an IQ over 110 maybe. But I know he thinks he's smarter than he is. Otherwise he wouldn't have to try and prove it constantly.

I'd say at least 125. LOki is probably top 5 on the board in that respect.

glockmail
07-15-2007, 08:12 PM
I'd say at least 125. LOki is probably top 5 on the board in that respect. Maybe. But he thinks he's smarter than that. Certaintly one of the top assholes. :laugh2:

LOki
07-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Maybe. But he thinks he's smarter than that. Certaintly one of the top assholes. :laugh2:But I'm not a lying asshole. That makes you the #1 asshole. Asshole.

glockmail
07-15-2007, 08:22 PM
But I'm not a lying asshole. That makes you the #1 asshole. Asshole. Heck I could teach you to be an asshole. Look up the word in your dictionary and you'll see my picture.
:pee:

Mr. P
07-15-2007, 08:41 PM
LOki got it guys!..He is CORRECT!

Damn simple when you think about it ain't?

nevadamedic
07-15-2007, 08:45 PM
I can be smart too, I just prefer being dumb, it's much easier! :laugh2:

:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
07-15-2007, 10:26 PM
I'd say at least 125. LOki is probably top 5 on the board in that respect.

Would you be willing to say who you think the other 4 are? :)

5stringJeff
07-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Would you be willing to say who you think the other 4 are? :)

As I feel the need to... :D