PDA

View Full Version : Men - do not be mean to your aging wife.

darin
01-12-2016, 06:27 AM
I read this about once a year and once a year I wish I wrote it.

It is important for men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them.
Some are oversensitive, and there's nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.

My name is Jim. Let me relate how I handled the situation with my wife, Betty. When I retired a few years ago, it became necessary for Betty to get a full-time job along with her part-time job, both for extra income and for the health benefits that we needed. Shortly after she started working, I noticed she was beginning to show her age. I usually get home from the golf club about the same time she gets home from work.

Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always says she has to rest for half an hour or so before she starts dinner. I don't yell at her. Instead, I tell her to take her time and just wake me when she gets dinner on the table. I generally have lunch in the Men's Grill at the club so eating out is not reasonable. I'm ready for some home-cooked grub when I hit that door. She used to do the dishes as soon as we finished eating. But now it's not unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after dinner.

I do what I can by diplomatically reminding her several times each evening that they won't clean themselves. I know she really appreciates this, as it does seem to motivate her to get them done before she goes to bed.

Another symptom of aging is complaining, I think. For example, she will say that it is difficult for her to find time to pay the monthly bills during her lunch hour. But, boys, we take 'em for better or worse, so I just smile and offer encouragement. I tell her to stretch it out over two or even three days. That way she won't have to rush so much. I also remind her that missing lunch completely now and then wouldn't hurt her any (if you know what I mean). I like to think tact is one of my strong points.

When doing simple jobs, she seems to think she needs more rest periods. She had to take a break when she was only half finished mowing the yard. I try not to make a scene. I'm a fair man. I tell her to fix a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while on the ground below me in my hammock. And, as long as she is making one for me, she may as well make one for herself, too.

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support Betty. I'm not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging wife because of this article, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile. After all, we are put on this earth to help each other .

Signed,
Jim

NightTrain
01-12-2016, 07:00 AM
Jim is trying to get the rest of us murdered.

indago
01-12-2016, 08:23 AM
Jim is trying to get the rest of us murdered.

Yes, I recall a few years back I was working on something in the house and my wife was going about room to room. Finally, she asked me if I had seen her broom. I asked her if she was going to the store.

I don't live there anymore...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-12-2016, 09:04 AM

Thanks, I've always tried to be helpful and very tactful like that..
My two ex-wives did not appreciate it at all so now I just say,
"thank you darling , while you are resting could you fix me a ham sandwich and big cold glass of iced tea."
I know how much it always pleases her to be so helpful to me!!
Sometimes I just toss things in the floor to give her the pure joy of picking it all up.
I think my thoughtful acts have really endeared her to me, so guys maybe you all should try
such acts of kindness.. see what it gets ya... ;)--Tyr

Gunny
01-12-2016, 09:06 AM

I get tired of overly-sensitive PEOPLE, period.

Gunny
01-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Thanks, I've always tried to be helpful and very tactful like that..
My two ex-wives did not appreciate it at all so now I just say,
"thank you darling , while you are resting could you fix me a ham sandwich and big cold glass of iced tea."
I know how much it always pleases her to be so helpful to me!!
Sometimes I just toss things in the floor to give her the pure joy of picking it all up.
I think my thoughtful acts have really endeared her to me, so guys maybe you all should try
such acts of kindness.. see what it gets ya... ;)--Tyr

:laugh2:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-12-2016, 09:16 AM
I get tired of overly-sensitive PEOPLE, period.

period... (?) , they are usually over angry then my friend. :thumb:

Gunny
01-12-2016, 09:23 AM
period... (?) , they are usually over angry then my friend. :thumb:

I don't care what their problem is. I doubt it's anger though. I'm always angry. I sure as Hell don't run around taking offense at ever real or perceived slight. I's say it's more passive-aggressive than anything else. Playing the sympathy, "you hurt my feelings" card.

Flip-side of that coin is some things just ain't worth arguing about.

darin
01-12-2016, 09:37 AM
They say, at the core of every conflict is a percieved threat to one's self-esteem.

Gunny
01-12-2016, 09:52 AM
They say, at the core of every conflict is a percieved threat to one's self-esteem.

My favorite:

"You're yelling at me."

"You're deaf. If I don't raise my voice all I get is "Huh?" in response."

"You're still yelling at me." :rolleyes:

Flip side of the coin:

GF wants me to look at pics on her phone. "I don't have my glasses on."

"But look. Isn't this cute?"

"I STILL don't have my glasses on." :laugh:

indago
01-13-2016, 06:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpF69oFoLM4

jimnyc
01-13-2016, 10:21 AM

Was this a coInkydink that his name is Jim, or are you fucking with me? :laugh: :slap:

My wife is the one that nails me with this stuff. Both laying down watching TV and she'll give the sad eyes and whine that her drink or something is in the other room. Sometimes I tell her "Ha, sucks to be you Beotch, I'm watching TV!!" After I cook for myself and have zero money for a few weeks, I politely explain on my knees that it was a joke, and how sorry I am. And of course get her that drink. :(

Someone kill me please. :thumb:

Perianne
01-13-2016, 10:46 AM
Was this a coInkydink that his name is Jim, or are you fucking with me? :laugh: :slap:

My wife is the one that nails me with this stuff. Both laying down watching TV and she'll give the sad eyes and whine that her drink or something is in the other room. Sometimes I tell her "Ha, sucks to be you Beotch, I'm watching TV!!" After I cook for myself and have zero money for a few weeks, I politely explain on my knees that it was a joke, and how sorry I am. And of course get her that drink. :(

Someone kill me please. :thumb:

If you get married again, marry a woman with Southern values.

jimnyc
01-13-2016, 10:52 AM
If you get married again, marry a woman with Southern values.

She is a southern woman!! LOL Maybe I needed to go further south? She was born in New York but was raised from then on in Fairfax, Virginia. She's awesome. But I guess as me being Mr. Mom, and her technically being my boss... she's a tough cookie for a boss!

But what's that old saying, you get more with honey than you do vinegar? I have a potty mouth and a lot of sarcasm. She doesn't like that. I need to be nice. That's not always possible! :laugh2:

Perianne
01-13-2016, 10:56 AM
She is a southern woman!! LOL Maybe I needed to go further south? She was born in New York but was raised from then on in Fairfax, Virginia. She's awesome. But I guess as me being Mr. Mom, and her technically being my boss... she's a tough cookie for a boss!

But what's that old saying, you get more with honey than you do vinegar? I have a potty mouth and a lot of sarcasm. She doesn't like that. I need to be nice. That's not always possible! :laugh2:

Well now, you DO need to work on that potty mouth. I have rules about bad words in my house.

jimnyc
01-13-2016, 11:01 AM
Well now, you DO need to work on that potty mouth. I have rules about bad words in my house.

I try, I really do!! My wife instituted rules about fines for cursing, but it would empty my wallet by the end of the day! People piss me off, and I express it and slip sometimes. I always slip when the opposing football team is playing good against my Steelers. Don't even get me started about what I say to myself when driving, and see stupid people. Luckily, that one I just usually speak out loud to myself.

I always do good for awhile, for example, if visiting someone and meeting folks I may not know very well. But as soon as I feel comfortable with someone, the tongue gets paralyzed and bad words accidentally slip out on their own. :)

Perianne
01-13-2016, 11:05 AM
I try, I really do!! My wife instituted rules about fines for cursing, but it would empty my wallet by the end of the day! People piss me off, and I express it and slip sometimes. I always slip when the opposing football team is playing good against my Steelers. Don't even get me started about what I say to myself when driving, and see stupid people. Luckily, that one I just usually speak out loud to myself.

I always do good for awhile, for example, if visiting someone and meeting folks I may not know very well. But as soon as I feel comfortable with someone, the tongue gets paralyzed and bad words accidentally slip out on their own. :)

I have a different rule for bad words. And farts. Do either one and he doesn't get any that night.

Gunny
01-13-2016, 11:57 AM

:smoke:

Gunny
01-13-2016, 11:58 AM
I have a different rule for bad words. And farts. Do either one and he doesn't get any that night.

Using sex as a weapon is WRONG regardless the reason.

Perianne
01-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Using sex as a weapon is WRONG regardless the reason.

It's not a weapon. It is a reward for good behavior. I am good that way.

Gunny
01-13-2016, 12:19 PM
It's not a weapon. It is a reward for good behavior. I am good that way.

I don't need to be rewarded for my behavior. In case you haven't noticed, I'm pretty good at doing what I damned well please. I don't fart around other people anyway. That's just gross. But I cuss, and I have a better excuse than Jim. Try being around a bunch of Marines and Sailors 24-7 and not doing it.