PDA

View Full Version : NY Medical Marijuana

jimnyc
01-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Only a matter of time before the recreational starts hitting the east coast as well, and then I think it goes nation wide. New York has just legalized it for medical reasons. Can someone punch me in the face real hard and give me one of these ailments?

You are potentially eligible for medical marijuana if you have been diagnosed with a specific severe, debilitating or life threatening condition that is accompanied by an associated or complicating condition. By law, those conditions are: cancer, HIV infection or AIDS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury with spasticity, epilepsy, inflammatory bowel disease, neuropathy, and Huntington's disease. The associated or complicating conditions are cachexia or wasting syndrome, severe or chronic pain, severe nausea, seizures, or severe or persistent muscle spasms.

Leave out AIDS of course, and cancer, and ALS, and parkinsons. Ah hell, leave them all out. It's not even funny to play around with diseases that some very unfortunate folks have to suffer and live with. But I wouldn't mind finding another route! :thumb:

Anxiety would be one for me, or depression or even my chronic neck pain I've been dealing with forever, and 2 spinal surgeries so far. No way in hell I take them effing pain killers and get hooked again, but I would smoke to help in a NY minute. But only Cali would allow for those reasons.

I've smoked a LOT in the past, to the point that yes, I considered it a problem. That's because you're hiding it, it's illegal and all the trouble that comes with it. But take away the illegal aspect? Trust me, it helps immensely if you have anxiety. As for my neck pain? It's not going to take it away to the point that all of your pain is gone, but it DOES in fact help, and also helps a lot in helping you sleep if you have such pain.

I know, I know, it's still smoking. I dunno, but no one croaks from it. And yet we let everyone smoke cigs and drink alcohol.

I would NOT recommend it to kids and others. I'm not a pusher. Nor do I ever recommend driving after smoking. It should be regulated like the cigs/alcohol, and have a way to monitor the levels in you as like a breathalyzer. I just hope folks don't get a DWI because they smoked the night before. They need a way to solidly know how much you are currently impaired.

Another thing I think about. I've been on xanax for like 10 years now. Granted that my prescription is a low amount, but it's a bad drug. Tapering off if it will be extremely hard. I'd rather be on it for life than deal with that. They say you can have seizures or die if not done properly. And even then, you'll likely be miserable for awhile, or longer, when quitting. I'd have just moved over to smoking had I known it would be something my body "required" after this long, and that quitting would be near impossible. You don't have these effects with marijuana.

Perianne
01-13-2016, 12:19 PM
When I had my pinched nerve, I would have done anything to relieve the pain...or nearly anything. I might even have tried marijuana (gag).

Gunny
01-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Only a matter of time before the recreational starts hitting the east coast as well, and then I think it goes nation wide. New York has just legalized it for medical reasons. Can someone punch me in the face real hard and give me one of these ailments?

Leave out AIDS of course, and cancer, and ALS, and parkinsons. Ah hell, leave them all out. It's not even funny to play around with diseases that some very unfortunate folks have to suffer and live with. But I wouldn't mind finding another route! :thumb:

Anxiety would be one for me, or depression or even my chronic neck pain I've been dealing with forever, and 2 spinal surgeries so far. No way in hell I take them effing pain killers and get hooked again, but I would smoke to help in a NY minute. But only Cali would allow for those reasons.

I've smoked a LOT in the past, to the point that yes, I considered it a problem. That's because you're hiding it, it's illegal and all the trouble that comes with it. But take away the illegal aspect? Trust me, it helps immensely if you have anxiety. As for my neck pain? It's not going to take it away to the point that all of your pain is gone, but it DOES in fact help, and also helps a lot in helping you sleep if you have such pain.

I know, I know, it's still smoking. I dunno, but no one croaks from it. And yet we let everyone smoke cigs and drink alcohol.

I would NOT recommend it to kids and others. I'm not a pusher. Nor do I ever recommend driving after smoking. It should be regulated like the cigs/alcohol, and have a way to monitor the levels in you as like a breathalyzer. I just hope folks don't get a DWI because they smoked the night before. They need a way to solidly know how much you are currently impaired.

Another thing I think about. I've been on xanax for like 10 years now. Granted that my prescription is a low amount, but it's a bad drug. Tapering off if it will be extremely hard. I'd rather be on it for life than deal with that. They say you can have seizures or die if not done properly. And even then, you'll likely be miserable for awhile, or longer, when quitting. I'd have just moved over to smoking had I known it would be something my body "required" after this long, and that quitting would be near impossible. You don't have these effects with marijuana.

No one knows if anyone croaks from it since it technically STILL is not legal at the Fed level. No funding for studies. Two ways you can detect weed -- one is a urinalysis test which takes time and; two, a blood test.

As far as impairment goes, regardless what the pro-pot crowd claim, you're just as impaired smoking weed as you are drinking and deserve a DUI if you get popped.

jimnyc
01-13-2016, 12:32 PM
When I had my pinched nerve, I would have done anything to relieve the pain...or nearly anything. I might even have tried marijuana (gag).

It's not a total reliever, depends on how bad the injury is, but it would help. I just know I have a 3rd disc going bad right now. I can barely sit upright for more than 5 minutes before the stabbing pain starts to kick in. Then I wobble to the left and right, try different positions, put a pillow behind me. I have to have PERFECT posture and support lately or it really starts to hurt. I really need to get an x-ray and then an mri.

Luckily, it almost completely goes away when lying flat. But a few times I went to roll over, and kinda pushed up on the mattress just a little, as if doing a push up, just to support a little weight so that I could shift, and there was the pain.

Neck pain and lower back pain, or any pain related along those lines, totally suck!

Perianne
01-13-2016, 12:36 PM
It's not a total reliever, depends on how bad the injury is, but it would help. I just know I have a 3rd disc going bad right now. I can barely sit upright for more than 5 minutes before the stabbing pain starts to kick in. Then I wobble to the left and right, try different positions, put a pillow behind me. I have to have PERFECT posture and support lately or it really starts to hurt. I really need to get an x-ray and then an mri.

Luckily, it almost completely goes away when lying flat. But a few times I went to roll over, and kinda pushed up on the mattress just a little, as if doing a push up, just to support a little weight so that I could shift, and there was the pain.

Neck pain and lower back pain, or any pain related along those lines, totally suck!

I think I have told you, but I had back surgery in 2003. I woke up painless and have remained that way. There is hope in some cases.

jimnyc
01-13-2016, 12:38 PM
No one knows if anyone croaks from it since it technically STILL is not legal at the Fed level. No funding for studies. Two ways you can detect weed -- one is a urinalysis test which takes time and; two, a blood test.

As far as impairment goes, regardless what the pro-pot crowd claim, you're just as impaired smoking weed as you are drinking and deserve a DUI if you get popped.

Trust me, and yes I'm lazy again and not searching for them, but tons and tons and tons of studies have been done, even government studies. And even with that, one would think they would find something to attribute to marijuana, if someone croaked and they feel it was responsible in a lethal manner. I'm sure there ARE some things that will be found out over time, but I don't think death would be one of them. With none in recorded history anyway, that I'm aware of. BUT, I do think it's more addictive than lead on, but nowhere near something like heroin, xanax, oxycodone or even alcohol or cigarettes.

I have zero doubt that someone gets impaired and is deserving of a DWI. Reread my buddy. I'm all for the testing and regulation. I just hope it's accurate is all. If I smoked the night before, and then go out the next day at 9am, I wouldn't expect to get a DWI for that. But if hanging with nitwit friends and smoking in public or anywhere, then driving while high, or under the influence of the marijuana, then you absolutely deserve the Dwi!!

And in addition to the urinalysis and blood test, they can also do a hair follicle test which is also very accurate.

jimnyc
01-13-2016, 12:41 PM
I think I have told you, but I had back surgery in 2003. I woke up painless and have remained that way. There is hope in some cases.

I woke up painless from 2 surgeries on my neck. My fear is leading up to it when the pain sets in. I don't ever want to be on those damn pain killers long term, ever again. The withdrawals were one of the worst thing I ever went through in my life. I would rather deal with the pain until the surgery. Now, you'll need SOMETHING from that point on, for like a week, as it will really hurt from the wound and surgery they performed. I'd rather take prescription strength motrin or tylenol if I have to. Or maybe let the woman hold the pain killers and only take them VERY sporadically.

Gunny
01-13-2016, 01:03 PM
Trust me, and yes I'm lazy again and not searching for them, but tons and tons and tons of studies have been done, even government studies. And even with that, one would think they would find something to attribute to marijuana, if someone croaked and they feel it was responsible in a lethal manner. I'm sure there ARE some things that will be found out over time, but I don't think death would be one of them. With none in recorded history anyway, that I'm aware of. BUT, I do think it's more addictive than lead on, but nowhere near something like heroin, xanax, oxycodone or even alcohol or cigarettes.

I have zero doubt that someone gets impaired and is deserving of a DWI. Reread my buddy. I'm all for the testing and regulation. I just hope it's accurate is all. If I smoked the night before, and then go out the next day at 9am, I wouldn't expect to get a DWI for that. But if hanging with nitwit friends and smoking in public or anywhere, then driving while high, or under the influence of the marijuana, then you absolutely deserve the Dwi!!

And in addition to the urinalysis and blood test, they can also do a hair follicle test which is also very accurate.

I did my own study when I was a teenager. :halo9: True, but each test takes time. You going to hold someone in jail for a week or two until the results come back? It's not like a breathalyzer where the alcohol fumes lock themselves into your lungs.

As far as legalizing weed goes, I think no differently about it than I do alcohol. Get what you need and go home and stay there, and don't be smoking on my damned job anymore than I want some drunk who starts at 8 AM working on my electrical crap. I could care less what people do on their own time so long as it doesn't hurt someone else.

jimnyc
01-13-2016, 01:12 PM
I did my own study when I was a teenager. :halo9: True, but each test takes time. You going to hold someone in jail for a week or two until the results come back? It's not like a breathalyzer where the alcohol fumes lock themselves into your lungs.

As far as legalizing weed goes, I think no differently about it than I do alcohol. Get what you need and go home and stay there, and don't be smoking on my damned job anymore than I want some drunk who starts at 8 AM working on my electrical crap. I could care less what people do on their own time so long as it doesn't hurt someone else.

They actually have a device already that reads measurements of whatever the hell they call it (scientific terms). I just hope once it's perfected that it's accurate. :) But yeah, the goal is for this to be just like a breathalyzer for the cops, to be able to find out instantly on the spot. (I'll search for a link after I post this...)

I agree, stay home. I have NO issue with that at all. ANYTHING that alters the mind, to where ones response time may be longer - don't get behind the wheel. Same goes for work. Treat it like what you see on pill bottles - "Controlled Substance Dangerous unless used as directed. Caution: Federal law prohibits the transfer of this drug to any person other than the patient for whom it was prescribed" and also of course: May cause drowsiness. Use care when operating a vehicle , vessel or machine - <---- but rather change that one to CANNOT use any of those 3? Would work for me.

Gunny
01-13-2016, 01:18 PM
They actually have a device already that reads measurements of whatever the hell they call it (scientific terms). I just hope once it's perfected that it's accurate. :) But yeah, the goal is for this to be just like a breathalyzer for the cops, to be able to find out instantly on the spot. (I'll search for a link after I post this...)

I agree, stay home. I have NO issue with that at all. ANYTHING that alters the mind, to where ones response time may be longer - don't get behind the wheel. Same goes for work. Treat it like what you see on pill bottles - "Controlled Substance Dangerous unless used as directed. Caution: Federal law prohibits the transfer of this drug to any person other than the patient for whom it was prescribed" and also of course: May cause drowsiness. Use care when operating a vehicle , vessel or machine - <---- but rather change that one to CANNOT use any of those 3? Would work for me.

Horror story: The Sgt that lived next door to me in 29 Palms when they first came out with the piss test ran the piss tests. He said if one person came up positive, the next 3 people in line after would too due to residue. I don't trust their tests. No telling how many people got screwed before some braniac figured that one out.

jimnyc
01-13-2016, 01:28 PM
Horror story: The Sgt that lived next door to me in 29 Palms when they first came out with the piss test ran the piss tests. He said if one person came up positive, the next 3 people in line after would too due to residue. I don't trust their tests. No telling how many people got screwed before some braniac figured that one out.

No doubt!

Here's a tad about what I was talking about:

As announced in early December, Oakland-based Hound Labs, in collaboration with scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, have invented a portable breathalyzer that can detect and measure the level of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, in an individual's breath. THC is the psychoactive component of marijuana that can lead to impairment. Not only does the breathalyzer detect THC, but it also functions as an alcohol detector, allowing law enforcement on-the-spot readings that could aid in the determination of whether or not a driver is impaired.

The current standard for determining whether or not an individual is driving under the influence of marijuana involves a blood test. This isn't necessarily the best test because THC can remain in a person's bloodstream long after they've smoked marijuana, and it doesn't necessarily demonstrate whether or not a driver is impaired. Having an on-the-spot device handy will allow law enforcement to remove impaired drivers from the roadway while also ensuring that drivers who aren't impaired aren't unreasonably prosecuted. Realistically, it's a device that could potentially save lives (and save the legal system a lot of money).

Though Hound Labs' devices are undergoing clinical testing in the first quarter of this year, if all goes well (which is the expectation of its CEO Mike Lynn), they'll be in the hands of law enforcement and interested consumers by late 2016. Clinical testing will involve legal medical marijuana patients at the University of California, Berkeley's campus, and the tests will look to replicate readings from traditional intoxication readouts. Lynn has suggested that the units could price under $1,000 for law enforcement and should be less expensive in a less durable form for consumers.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/this-invention-could-address-a-serious-marijuana-concern-cm563574

Elessar
01-13-2016, 02:12 PM

Have you tried a tubular foam pillow or rolled up towel under your lumbar region?

I have a bad disc and use that all the time to maintain the natural curvature of the spine.

jimnyc
01-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Have you tried a tubular foam pillow or rolled up towel under your lumbar region?

I have a bad disc and use that all the time to maintain the natural curvature of the spine.

You name it, I've tried it. Mine is in the neck region, C4-C5-C6 so far. Feels like the weight of my own head is crushing my spine in the neck region. :(