PDA

View Full Version : Executive abuse and overreach cannot continue

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-14-2016, 08:44 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/13/opinions/chaffetz-state-union/index.html

Executive abuse and overreach cannot continue
By Jason Chaffetz

(CNN)After listening to President Barack Obama's State of the Union address, I came away with this question: What does a president do when he thinks he is right and the people he governs are wrong?

He issues executive orders and actions instead of working with the people's elected representatives.

He imposes burdensome and expensive regulations to bypass the lawmaking process.

He conceals information from the public through a culture that encourages an unlawful presumption of secrecy.

Jason Chaffetz
Jason Chaffetz
He misuses government to target the First Amendment rights of Americans with viewpoints other than his own.

He limits access to information for federal inspectors general, the agency watchdogs charged with combating waste, fraud, and abuse and rooting out corruption in government.

This is the playbook of the Obama administration. It is unilateral, overreaching and unconstitutional. Left unchecked, it is behavior that undermines, and will ultimately erode, the foundation of our democracy and our freedom.

The Founding Fathers clearly understood that a concentration of power by one entity or one individual was a threat to personal liberty. So they designed the three branches of government -- separate and with different responsibilities -- with this in mind. By its simplest definition, the legislative branch makes the laws, the executive branch enforces the laws and the judicial branch interprets the laws.

That's not what's happening with the Obama administration.

As James Madison warned in the Federalist Papers, "It will not be denied, that power is of an encroaching nature, and that it ought to be effectually restrained from passing the limits assigned to it."

Yet just last week, joining the more than 20 executive actions already issued by the President on gun control, another round was unleashed on the public.

The President's boldness appears to be growing with each swipe of the pen. In this instance, he seems to believe that he alone can rewrite longstanding medical privacy laws that protect all Americans' health records. But he can't. It requires legislation -- a power not assigned to the president.

Nikki Haley should have run for president
Nikki Haley should have run for president
One of the more egregious acts by the President to expand his jurisdiction was the Environmental Protection Agency's attempt to redefine the "Waters of the United States" through an opaque rulemaking process. The rule, currently under a court injunction, was a blatant effort by the President to assert his will over the private property rights of countless Americans.

When the President isn't single-handedly issuing edicts negatively impacting the citizenry, he's hiding information the public is entitled to obtain through the Freedom of Information Act. But access to information is a central tool for an efficient government that works for its citizens. Without transparency, an unchecked executive operating in the dark develops with no accountability to the people who fund it.

Despite President Obama's rallying cry to be the "most transparent administration in history," the reality of excessive delays, abusive fees and inappropriate redactions in the Freedom of Information Act process subvert access to information.

Further, in limiting inspectors general access to agency records, the President, in the words of Department of Justice Inspector General Michael Horowitz, allows "government agencies to shield their misdeeds from inspector general oversight and, more importantly, from the American people."

Americans are rightfully frustrated by this lack of transparency from a government they are routinely asked to trust with their safety and security.

Examples of Obama's overreach, lack of transparency and absence of accountability appear to be endless. It seems there is no part of our life over which he does not seek to impose his will.

The last seven years are a cautionary tale. This is not the right path for America. We must recognize this period as the dangerous precedent it is and collectively -- through the legislative branch, judiciary branch and the public -- work to return the executive branch to the limited role the framers intended.

The Constitution of the United States begins with "We the People," not "I the President." We elect presidents, not kings, in the United States. It would behoove us all to remind Mr. Obama of those facts, because every new power seized by government is an individual freedom lost. As such, this pattern of executive abuse and overreach cannot continue.

The state of our union depends on it.

Come on again and tell me for the hundredth time fj, how I am so wrong about obama and his Executive Orders and the fact his intent proves to be treason. As he is sworn by oath of office to defend the Constitution but instead he usurps it in deliberately harmful actions.. --Tyr

fj1200
01-14-2016, 02:43 PM
Come on again and tell me for the hundredth time fj, how I am so wrong about obama and his Executive Orders and the fact his intent proves to be treason. As he is sworn by oath of office to defend the Constitution but instead he usurps it in deliberately harmful actions.. --Tyr

What did I tell you the first time? It's probably still true. Just as BO sucks is still true.

Drummond
01-14-2016, 02:52 PM
What did I tell you the first time? It's probably still true. Just as BO sucks is still true.

I believe I've already told you that inventing a mantra, then just repeating it, proves nothing at all about its value.

Obama himself was proof of that, during his electioneering !

I suggest you answer Tyr properly. If, in fact, you can.

fj1200
01-14-2016, 05:08 PM
Obama himself was proof of that, during his electioneering !

As is your posting. Besides, I answered his question. But as I've stated already: BO sucks. He'll also be gone in 1 year 6 days.

Black Diamond
01-14-2016, 05:12 PM
As is your posting. Besides, I answered his question. But as I've stated already: BO sucks. He'll also be gone in 1 year 6 days.

And then he will be UN secretary-general.

fj1200
01-15-2016, 08:16 AM
And then he will be UN secretary-general.

I can't imagine even the useless-UN can overlook his blithering foreign policy incompetence.

Gunny
01-15-2016, 09:34 AM
I think Chaffetz hit everything spot on.

Drummond
01-15-2016, 10:10 AM
I can't imagine even the useless-UN can overlook his blithering foreign policy incompetence.

I see. So, you're recommending him for the job, then ?:rolleyes:

glockmail
01-15-2016, 10:24 AM
Executive abuse and overreach cannot continue

It can, and it will. No one is going to impeach the affirmative action president. There is NOTHING that this POS can do that will change this fact. Nothing.

fj1200
01-15-2016, 11:07 AM
I see. So, you're recommending him for the job, then ?:rolleyes:

:dunno:

fj1200
01-15-2016, 02:24 PM
I think Chaffetz hit everything spot on.

I do not disagree.

Gunny
01-15-2016, 04:28 PM
It can, and it will. No one is going to impeach the affirmative action president. There is NOTHING that this POS can do that will change this fact. Nothing.

What I think Congress should do is take away the power of his pen. And they can. BOTH sides of the aisle have give away their power to legislate bcause they're too busy partisan infighting without seeing the big picture ... it would be in the best interest of BOTH parties to curtail him.

glockmail
01-18-2016, 11:30 AM
What I think Congress should do is take away the power of his pen. And they can. BOTH sides of the aisle have give away their power to legislate bcause they're too busy partisan infighting without seeing the big picture ... it would be in the best interest of BOTH parties to curtail him.
The House has the power of the purse. Last time they used it, The Obama responded by fencing off open memorials, screwing veterans groups who travelled far to get there. The press responded by blaming Republicans for "shutting down the government".

Main stream Republicans have no balls. What makes you think these light weights will take away his pen?

Gunny
01-18-2016, 11:39 AM
The House has the power of the purse. Last time they used it, The Obama responded by fencing off open memorials, screwing veterans groups who travelled far to get there. The press responded by blaming Republicans for "shutting down the government".

Main stream Republicans have no balls. What makes you think these light weights will take away his pen?

And the Republicans slinked away with their tails between their legs instead of ratcheting it up a notch. Congress completely took Andrew Johnson's authority away to do anything. They can do it. Just takes some balls. These guys are too busy looking for paychecks and perks to actually do anything.

glockmail
01-18-2016, 12:42 PM
And the Republicans slinked away with their tails between their legs instead of ratcheting it up a notch. Congress completely took Andrew Johnson's authority away to do anything. They can do it. Just takes some balls. These guys are too busy looking for paychecks and perks to actually do anything.
They are two things about main stream Republicans that few understand:
They are scared shitless of the press.
They hate conservatives more than ISIS.

debater
10-18-2017, 08:41 PM
That government is best which governs least.

Gunny
10-18-2017, 08:43 PM
That government is best which governs least. Sounds just like China :rolleyes:

debater
10-18-2017, 09:46 PM
Government is not the solution, but rather the cause of our problems.

High_Plains_Drifter
10-18-2017, 09:53 PM
Government is not the solution, but rather the cause of our problems.
How old are you?

Are you male or female?

What do you do for a living?

Why haven't you responded to anyone?

debater
10-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Big Brother is listening.