PDA

View Full Version : Poland Lurches Toward Dictatorship

NightTrain
01-14-2016, 08:54 AM
I'm extremely surprised at the developments in Poland - this sort of thing was impossible, especially in light of the suffering they've experienced at the hands of anti-democratic dictators in recent history.

Relations between Poland and the European Union’s leaders hit a new low Wednesday, as the bloc’s executives met to investigate Poland’s recent limitations on democracy.

The move followed protests last weekend in Warsaw, where tens of thousands of Polish supporters of democracy braved the bitter cold to decry a new law empowering the government to muzzle state radio and television.

The law, rushed through the Sejm (Parliament) by the governing Law and Justice Party (known by its Polish acronym as PiS), gives the government complete control of state radio and television. Key managers have been sacked and replaced with PiS political appointees. The European Union has condemned this action.

Government officials claim this takeover of public media is necessary to promote national traditions and patriotic values. Pride in Polish identity is a hallmark of the new government, which abhors western European values.

Many moderate Poles who thought PiS would be an alternative to its corrupt predecessor, the Civic Platform, were soon disappointed. Just one month after the PiS landslide victory, 56 percent of Poles said that democracy was threatened, according to a national poll conducted last November.

Lech Walesa, who led the Solidarity movement against Communist oppression, has joined in the denunciation of the government. “This government acts against freedom and democracy,” he said. “Not to mention that it makes us look ridiculous to the rest of the world.” Walesa was president of Poland from 1990 to 1995.

PiS introduced another bill that gives law enforcement access to the Internet activity of citizens without requiring court consent. Opposition lawmaker Krzysztof Brejza warned such legislation turns Poland into an Orwellian state where surveillance is everywhere.

These lightening-swift changes since the October 25 election have crippled the nation’s top court, fundamentally changed the professional civil service, and now threaten to make the public media an arm of government policy.

“It reminds me of the Communist takeover of the country in the 1940’s,” said Andrzej Zoll, a former ombudsman for the constitutional court.

More : http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/01/14/eu-scrambles-as-protests-erupt-in-poland-over-government-media-takeover.html?intcmp=hplnws

I can't help but wonder if this is related to the mass influx of immigrants and this is the beginning of the collapse of the EU.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-14-2016, 09:09 AM
I'm extremely surprised at the developments in Poland - this sort of thing was impossible, especially in light of the suffering they've experienced at the hands of anti-democratic dictators in recent history.

More : http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/01/14/eu-scrambles-as-protests-erupt-in-poland-over-government-media-takeover.html?intcmp=hplnws

I can't help but wonder if this is related to the mass influx of immigrants and this is the beginning of the collapse of the EU.
If they invited in the muslim cancer they will have to face its disease...
Obama brings them in here-(Syrian refugees. 9/.9% ARE muslim)........
Yet nobody calls him on it and/or demands to know why Christian refugees are excluded in his little muslim importation invasion scam ...TYR

Gunny
01-19-2016, 09:59 AM

Does this mean we can tell Pollack jokes again? :hyper:

NightTrain
01-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Does this mean we can tell Pollack jokes again? :hyper:

I never stopped!

My wife is half Polish, and my ancestry is German... so you can kind of get the jokes that go on around here.

aboutime
01-19-2016, 08:47 PM
We should all pull an Obama, and Blame Him for Poland's HOPE and CHANGE to a Dictatorship.

After all. They are just following Obama's lead in disregarding Laws, and our Constitution.

They love Obama, and Putin equally. NOT A POLLACK JOKE!:laugh: