PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Diversity

indago
01-15-2016, 10:34 AM
Tim Gray wrote for Variety 14 January 2016:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Last year’s Oscar nominations drew howls of protests for their lack of diversity. This year, it’s even worse. “Creed” was written and directed by the black Ryan Coogler and starred a black man, but the only nominee was a white man. “Straight Outta Compton” had a great acting ensemble of mostly young, black unknowns, and was directed by the black F. Gary Gray. But the film’s only nomination: for its screenplay, written by two Caucasians.

article (http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/oscar-nominations-2016-diversity-white-1201674903/)

Maybe they will have to establish an affirmative action program to assure all of diversification like was enforced in employment and hiring. An example:

Suppose there are 12 categories, with 20 nominations, with ethnicity included:

1. White
2. White
3. White
4. White
5. White
6. White
7. White
8. White
9. White
10. White
11. White
12. White
13. White
14. White
15. Black
16. White
17. White
18. Black
19. Black
20. White

To create an affirmative action diversification, the selection would be perverted to read:

1. White
2. White
3. White
4. White
5. White
6. White
7. White
8. White
9. White
10. White
11. 15. Black
12. 18. Black

The actual nominees, 11. White and 12. White, would lose out to those who were further down in the selection.

jimnyc
01-15-2016, 10:45 AM
They should choose based on whether or not the movies are good, not what color the acting, writers or directors were. I saw Compton. Cool, but not remotely Oscar worthy for the flick or acting. I also saw Creed. A typical Stallone flick, certainly a fun watch - but was one of the worst in the series, IMO. I can't think of any black acting this year that HAD to get a nod. If anything, Will Smith was the closest in Concussion. No one should get a nomination just because of their color, nor whine after the fact because of their color.

Can you imagine if white folks complained after Oprah or Denzel won an award? Claiming they were left without an award and somehow blame it on racism? They would be racists for even implying such.

Elessar
01-15-2016, 10:57 AM
Another thing that is quite simple:

If they are good, so be it regardless of color.
If they are not so good, so be it.

These whines of "Diversity" are Bullshit. Stand on your own two feet and
act like part of the greater society instead of shuttering yourself behind
doors of racism.

You don't see whites complaining about lack of "Diversity" in all-black programming,
do You?

glockmail
01-15-2016, 02:38 PM
It's racism, pure, simple and obvious.

Gunny
01-15-2016, 04:40 PM
Last year’s Oscar nominations drew howls of protests for their lack of diversity. This year, it’s even worse. “Creed” was written and directed by the black Ryan Coogler and starred a black man, but the only nominee was a white man. “Straight Outta Compton” had a great acting ensemble of mostly young, black unknowns, and was directed by the black F. Gary Gray. But the film’s only nomination: for its screenplay, written by two Caucasians.

article (http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/oscar-nominations-2016-diversity-white-1201674903/)

Maybe they will have to establish an affirmative action program to assure all of diversification like was enforced in employment and hiring. An example:

1. White
2. White
3. White
4. White
5. White
6. White
7. White
8. White
9. White
10. White
11. White
12. White
13. White
14. White
15. Black
16. White
17. White
18. Black
19. Black
20. White

To create an affirmative action diversification, the selection would be perverted to read:

1. White
2. White
3. White
4. White
5. White
6. White
7. White
8. White
9. White
10. White
11. 15. Black
12. 18. Black

The actual nominees, 11. White and 12. White, would lose out to those who were further down in the selection.

I thought the Oscars were based on talent, not ethnicity? Affirmative Action is alive and well.

Sorry, some goofy hip-hop movie where people are just portraying their usual idiot hip-hop selves does NOT inspire me to consider them talented actors.

Abbey Marie
01-15-2016, 04:53 PM
If you think about it, why do we have separate categories for male and female actors? Shouldn't the best acting category go to the one overall best performance regardless of gender?

Given that we have those two categories, let's just add a "Best Black Actor" and Best Black Actress" and be done with it. Oh, wait. Then we have to add Best Latino and Latina, Best Senior, Best Gay, Best Transgender Male to Female, Best Transgender Female to Male, Best Animal, Best Blah blah blah.

In the end, I don't care anyway. A bunch of spoiled, limousine liberals patting each other on the back for being entertainers is annoying.

Gunny
01-15-2016, 05:11 PM
If you think about it, why do we have separate categories for male and female actors? Shouldn't the best acting category go to the one overall best performance regardless of gender?

Given that we have those two categories, let's just add a "Best Black Actor" and Best Black Actress" and be done with it. Oh, wait. Then we have to add Best Latino and Latina, Best Senior, Best Gay, Best Transgender Male to Female, Best Transgender Female to Male, Best Animal, Best Blah blah blah.

In the end, I don't care anyway. A bunch of spoiled, limousine liberals patting each other on the back for being entertainers is annoying.

No, we shouldn't. They play different roles.

But I'm like you ... I don't care. Last time I saw the Oscars I think it was on a B&W tv at my grandparent's house when I was kid. My grandmother liked watching that crap and that was back when there was only 1 tv in the house.

Elessar
01-15-2016, 06:49 PM

You forgot the Best Asian Male and Female, Best Dog, Best Child Male and Female, etc!

Let's just spread it out and make the Oscars a two-night affair!:laugh:

Abbey Marie
01-15-2016, 08:15 PM
You forgot the Best Asian Male and Female, Best Dog, Best Child Male and Female, etc!

Let's just spread it out and make the Oscars a two-night affair!:laugh:

And then all of those diverse categories for directors, producers, camera people, hair stylists, costumers, etc. Make that a full week.

Russ
01-15-2016, 08:38 PM

Why doesn't Tim Gray, and all the other whining twits of his ilk, just cut to the chase and say that white people are disqualified from any Oscar nominations in any category whatsoever? Would he stop his whining then? Something tells me he wouldn't - he'd just find something else to snivel about.

I honestly don't care if all the Oscar nominees are white, minorities or some third choice. The Oscars, and all such awards shows, are just a bunch of over-applauded egos sitting in a big room over-applauding each other. I personally would prefer if all the Hollywood awards shows were cancelled forever.

Btw, I don't know if any of you remember the movie "Castaway", where Tom Hanks gets stranded on a deserted island, but I definitely was pulling for Wilson to get the supporting actor award that year. And I think that the raccoon guy in last year's Guardians of the Galaxy got robbed. Just sayin'

Gunny
01-15-2016, 11:19 PM
Why doesn't Tim Gray, and all the other whining twits of his ilk, just cut to the chase and say that white people are disqualified from any Oscar nominations in any category whatsoever? Would he stop his whining then? Something tells me he wouldn't - he'd just find something else to snivel about.

I honestly don't care if all the Oscar nominees are white, minorities or some third choice. The Oscars, and all such awards shows, are just a bunch of over-applauded egos sitting in a big room over-applauding each other. I personally would prefer if all the Hollywood awards shows were cancelled forever.

Btw, I don't know if any of you remember the movie "Castaway", where Tom Hanks gets stranded on a deserted island, but I definitely was pulling for Wilson to get the supporting actor award that year. And I think that the raccoon guy in last year's Guardians of the Galaxy got robbed. Just sayin'

:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
01-16-2016, 12:39 AM
I guess you can tell what Russ and Abbey are NOT watching on Oscar night :laugh:

Perianne
01-16-2016, 01:45 AM
After reading this thread, I wondered where the name "Oscar" originated. Some theories exist, but no one can definitively say. Here (http://mentalfloss.com/article/48892/why-are-academy-awards-statuettes-called-oscars)is a page about it.

In the end, nobody really knows why the Academy Award statuette is called an “Oscar."

Drummond
01-16-2016, 06:46 AM
You don't see whites complaining about lack of "Diversity" in all-black programming, do You?

Seems to me that 'all black programming' is of itself racist. As a deserved protest action, 'whites' should complain loudly about its very existence. See how THEY like it .....

Ideally, there'd be no complaining from either 'side' in this for any reason at all. Since excuses for it are going to be manufactured, though, I see nothing wrong with equality of complaining ....

Gunny
01-16-2016, 10:21 AM
Seems to me that 'all black programming' is of itself racist. As a deserved protest action, 'whites' should complain loudly about its very existence. See how THEY like it .....

Ideally, there'd be no complaining from either 'side' in this for any reason at all. Since excuses for it are going to be manufactured, though, I see nothing wrong with equality of complaining ....

Just more black activism looking for an excuse to make trouble where there is none. They're attacking the same Hollywood that invariably has a gay, a woman martial artist with a gun and a Hispanic in the cast to cater to all these special interest minorities.

If your movie's not good enough or your acting ain't good enough, no reward. Same as if you don't play ball good enough you lose.

indago
01-20-2016, 06:24 AM
Jake Coyle wrote for The Associated Press 19 January 2016:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Growing calls for a boycott of the Academy Awards over the lack of diversity among this year's Oscar nominees are forcing stars to choose sides and threatening to throw the movie industry's biggest night of the year into turmoil. The backlash over the second straight year of all-white acting nominees is also putting heavy pressure on the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences to diversify its overwhelmingly white male membership.

The furor grew on Tuesday when the Rev. Al Sharpton said he would lead a campaign encouraging people not to watch the Feb. 28 telecast.

One person emphatically not on board with the boycott was actress Janet Hubert, who starred with Will Smith on the '90s sitcom "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air." In a video posted on Facebook, she lambasted Pinkett Smith for asking actors to jeopardize their career for an insubstantial cause. "There's a lot of s--- going on the world that you all don't seem to recognize," said Hubert. "People are dying. Our boys are being shot left and right. People are starving. People are trying to pay bills. And you're taking about some motherf------ actors and Oscars. It just ain't that deep."

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OSCARS_BOYCOTT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-01-19-23-13-57)

I don't have a problem with not watching the Oscars: I don't watch them anyway. I have better things to do.

Perianne
01-20-2016, 06:44 AM
Jake Coyle wrote for The Associated Press 19 January 2016:
Growing calls for a boycott of the Academy Awards over the lack of diversity among this year's Oscar nominees are forcing stars to choose sides and threatening to throw the movie industry's biggest night of the year into turmoil. The backlash over the second straight year of all-white acting nominees is also putting heavy pressure on the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences to diversify its overwhelmingly white male membership.

The furor grew on Tuesday when the Rev. Al Sharpton said he would lead a campaign encouraging people not to watch the Feb. 28 telecast.

One person emphatically not on board with the boycott was actress Janet Hubert, who starred with Will Smith on the '90s sitcom "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air." In a video posted on Facebook, she lambasted Pinkett Smith for asking actors to jeopardize their career for an insubstantial cause. "There's a lot of s--- going on the world that you all don't seem to recognize," said Hubert. "People are dying. Our boys are being shot left and right. People are starving. People are trying to pay bills. And you're taking about some motherf------ actors and Oscars. It just ain't that deep."

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OSCARS_BOYCOTT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-01-19-23-13-57)

I don't have a problem with not watching the Oscars: I don't watch them anyway. I have better things to do.

Go over to BET.com and look at their winners. They be all black. Brown people need to find themselves a new country and move there. I would help pay for them to leave. Geez, they complain about everything.

Drummond
01-20-2016, 07:10 AM
The BBC have now latched on to all this, and are reporting it as an 'Is Hollywood Racist' story. Nothing less than a 'Hollywood must start giving black actors a chance' account .. viewing it, and not having a mind of your own, the viewer would just conclude that Hollywood was run by a bunch of anti-black racists.

Actual MERIT didn't seem to figure in any of this .. if you took the BBC's bias on board.

Perianne
01-20-2016, 07:53 AM
The BBC have now latched on to all this, and are reporting it as an 'Is Hollywood Racist' story. Nothing less than a 'Hollywood must start giving black actors a chance' account .. viewing it, and not having a mind of your own, the viewer would just conclude that Hollywood was run by a bunch of anti-black racists.

Actual MERIT didn't seem to figure in any of this .. if you took the BBC's bias on board.

And it doesn't matter here, either. Blacks think they deserve a prize for their very existence.

darin
01-20-2016, 08:31 AM
I'll support Oscar color/race Quotas when I see ‎NFL‬ Pro-bowl color/race quotas in place.

Abbey Marie
01-20-2016, 09:48 AM
Lol, affirmative action Oscars. If I wasn't already completely disinterested in awards-shows, this would have sealed the deal.

jimnyc
01-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Best.Reply.Ever!

Aunt Vivian from Fresh Prince decides to reply to Jada Pinkett Smith, and she's spot on!!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/embed/90309" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

indago
01-21-2016, 07:09 AM
From The Associated Press 20 January 2016:
Jada Pinkett Smith says the backlash to the all-white acting nominees for the Academy Awards "isn't really about the Oscars." Pinkett Smith says her plea was about black people taking back their power in an industry that doesn't value people of color. ...Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs has pledged "dramatic changes" to diversify the academy's membership.

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OSCARS_JADA_PINKETT_SMITH?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-01-20-23-22-39)

Trigg
01-21-2016, 03:41 PM
Jada Pinkett Smith says the backlash to the all-white acting nominees for the Academy Awards "isn't really about the Oscars." Pinkett Smith says her plea was about black people taking back their power in an industry that doesn't value people of color. ...Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs has pledged "dramatic changes" to diversify the academy's membership.

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OSCARS_JADA_PINKETT_SMITH?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-01-20-23-22-39)

This coming from a woman who owns her own production company and is part of the "Industry" she is so disgusted by.

Her and Will are throwing a hissy fit because his movie Concussion came out to poor reviews and his acting was lambasted, therefore he wasn't nominated.

jimnyc
01-21-2016, 06:01 PM

If it wasn't about the Oscars, then why asking others for the boycott? Why wasn't she making this EXACT complaint the weeks before? She wasn't, because she was hoping her hubby would be nominated. It IS about the oscars and it's about sour grapes. She doesn't like the nominees, so therefore no black folks should tune in or attend. She's an idiot.

Gunny
01-21-2016, 06:07 PM
If it wasn't about the Oscars, then why asking others for the boycott? Why wasn't she making this EXACT complaint the weeks before? She wasn't, because she was hoping her hubby would be nominated. It IS about the oscars and it's about sour grapes. She doesn't like the nominees, so therefore no black folks should tune in or attend. She's an idiot.

Truth is, I really don't care who is nominated. All the "pretty people" leftwing moonbats get the awards so they are as meaningless as the Nobel Peace Prize to me.

aboutime
01-21-2016, 07:23 PM

1. White
2. White
3. White
4. White
5. White
6. White
7. White
8. White
9. White
10. White
11. White
12. White
13. White
14. White
15. Black
16. White
17. White
18. Black
19. Black
20. White

1. White
2. White
3. White
4. White
5. White
6. White
7. White
8. White
9. White
10. White
11. 15. Black
12. 18. Black

YOUR Need to bring this DIVISIVE topic here just proves. You are not only a hypocrite, but a pure racist who does the bidding of Obama, and anyone who hates the fact that not ALL PEOPLE are equal when it comes to knowledge, talent, or intelligence. You feel a need to proliferate Hatred..anyway you can.

indago
01-21-2016, 07:33 PM
YOUR Need to bring this DIVISIVE topic here just proves. You are not only a hypocrite, but a pure racist who does the bidding of Obama, and anyone who hates the fact that not ALL PEOPLE are equal when it comes to knowledge, talent, or intelligence. You feel a need to proliferate Hatred..anyway you can.

http://i38.tinypic.com/232ohc.jpg

You crack me up...

...sometimes...

Abbey Marie
01-21-2016, 07:37 PM
I'm confused. :(

aboutime
01-21-2016, 07:58 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/232ohc.jpg

You crack me up...

...sometimes...

Glad to hear it. But we knew you were cracked, long ago. Your liberal, hatred, and racism is SHINING.

Elessar
01-22-2016, 11:58 AM
Here is a twist:

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/01/22/charlotte-rampling-says-diversity-scandal-racist-against-whites/21301285/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl9%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-1985495540_htmlws-main-bb

aboutime
01-22-2016, 01:41 PM
They complain about Discrimination in Hollywood, then DEMAND discrimination be practiced because THEY didn't win or get nominated for an OSCAR?

If that's how they want to play it. Create the "****A KINTE" award that BET, and the NAACP with the help of the Congressional BLACK Caucus in Congress...can get their EMPTY BRAINS around.

In case they are still too Illiterate to know who ****a was...here's the link:http://www.****akinte.org/history.html

Google considered KINTE's first name as OBSCENE???????

How bout ROOTS??http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075572/

namvet
01-22-2016, 07:27 PM
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12439539_10208425037206612_3145685223208757987_n.j pg?oh=d8c85f60d877126fe5b56416b841d2d0&oe=5731E693

jimnyc
01-23-2016, 05:01 AM
#OscarsSoWhite Backlash 'Racist to Whites'

Charlotte Rampling is one of the 20 white people nominated for an acting award at this year's Oscars ... and she thinks people who have a problem with that are racist.

Rampling -- who scored a Best Actress nom for her role in the movie "45 Years" -- told Radio 1 in France she finds the outrage over the absence of minorities to be "racist to whites."

In the interview, conducted in French, Rampling went on to say, "You never know if it was really the case, but perhaps the black players do not deserve to be in the final stretch."

http://www.tmz.com/2016/01/22/charlotte-rampling-oscars-racist-to-whites/

Black Diamond
01-23-2016, 05:06 AM
I thought Denzel should have won for Malcolm X. (Shrug)

jimnyc
01-23-2016, 06:12 AM
Let's look at reality too. Blacks make up a small percentage of the nation. They probably make up less of the Hollywood actors/actresses. Then you honestly do have to look at the years acting skills compared to others, by blocking out color and everything else.

Now I watch a LOT of flicks. I've seen a LOT of films last year that had black actors, or that were mainly black actors like in Straight Outta Compton. It WAS a good watch, but not Oscar worthy. Concussion on the other hand was a fun watch, a good movie, but I DID think Will Smith was awesome, truly convinced me that he was a doctor from Nigeria. But is that Oscar worthy? Compared to something like Damon in The Martian, or Dicaprio in The Revenant? I love all 3 characters, but Damon and Dicaprio blew away Smith. That's just reality, and maybe because they happened to be picked for better movies?

Either way, it's not the Oscars and boycotting is retarded. And now it's almost made out to be that the white folks are the problem, and now those nominated "don't deserve" the awards and such.

I wonder how it would be accepted if articles and videos come out around the time of the BET awards, and whites claim they should be their awards, and cry racism towards BET and black folks. Hell, would the whining even be heard? And I'll bet 1000-1 odds that the white person even thinking such a thing would then be the racist!

indago
01-23-2016, 07:51 AM
David Bauder wrote for The Associated Press 22 January 2016:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't look for actress and Fox News Channel contributor Stacey Dash to be working on any more BET shows for a while. Dash questioned the black-oriented network's very existence this week and wouldn't back down despite criticism.

..."I'm thankful for all of the acting jobs I had," she wrote. "But I look forward to the day when people don't self-segregate based on skin color, while loudly complaining about a segregated society."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TV_BET_VS_DASH?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-01-22-14-41-53)

Perianne
01-23-2016, 08:41 AM
If I were on the Oscar voting committee I would not vote for any movie that had a lot of "motherf*cker" in it. Maybe that's why the blacks didn't get the nod.

aboutime
01-23-2016, 01:23 PM
All of us should know by now. The OSCARS only matter to Hollyweird, and the growing lack of morality they project to the Easily-Led, and Narrow minded who love SWEAR words to replace their need to sound intelligent.

Other than filling the pockets of producers, directors, and actors. How does awarding a STATUE to people help this nation get over all the problems in REALITY?

Answer....IT DOESN'T!!!

Gunny
01-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Chris Rock is still going to host the show. He said he had to go rewrite his entire monologue after this stuff. One can only hope and pray he comes out as Nat X. :laugh:

jimnyc
01-24-2016, 04:27 PM
Chris Rock is still going to host the show. He said he had to go rewrite his entire monologue after this stuff. One can only hope and pray he comes out as Nat X. :laugh:

Apparently he plans on making the show an "Oscars so white" show. The only racism I see is from the black folks complaining.

Clint nailed it too...

<iframe src="//cdnapisec.kaltura.com/p/591531/sp/59153100/embedIframeJs/uiconf_id/6740162/partner_id/591531?iframeembed=true&playerId=kaltura_player_1413478522&entry_id=0_yvfv5ece" width="664" height="421" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozAllowFullScreen frameborder="0" style="width: 700; height: 394px;"></iframe>

jimnyc
01-24-2016, 04:29 PM
Clint nailed it too...

Like he said - THOUSANDS in the hunt if you count all movies - and barely any of them receive a nomination or award. But some are special and should definitely get one, just because, color...

Gunny
01-25-2016, 01:45 PM
Apparently he plans on making the show an "Oscars so white" show. The only racism I see is from the black folks complaining.

Clint nailed it too...

<iframe src="//cdnapisec.kaltura.com/p/591531/sp/59153100/embedIframeJs/uiconf_id/6740162/partner_id/591531?iframeembed=true&playerId=kaltura_player_1413478522&entry_id=0_yvfv5ece" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" style="width: 700; height: 394px;" frameborder="0" height="421" width="664"></iframe>

He nailed it alright. :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVjMzrCMW9Q

namvet
01-25-2016, 03:28 PM
note to self. don't waste my time

Trigg
01-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Jada and Will own their own production company. Which means they can make whatever movie they want staring whoever they want.

They're a part of the establishment......that they're railing against. :lame2:

indago
02-22-2016, 05:17 AM
Entertainment Diversity — AP Report

In an 'inclusivity index' test of 10 major media company's performance of on-screen portrayals and gender equality behind the camera, no film distributor earned a final grade above 30 percent inclusivity.

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ENTERTAINMENT_EQUALITY_STUDY_HIGHLIGHTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-02-22-01-58-33)

Voted4Reagan
02-22-2016, 05:26 AM
Only one color matters on Oscar night.....

GOLD... the bugger is gold... Bring your A-Game and you win one.

anything less....Nothing

indago
02-22-2016, 06:22 AM
"We don't have a diversity problem. We have an inclusion crisis."

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ENTERTAINMENT_EQUALITY_STUDY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-02-22-01-54-52)