PDA

View Full Version : Debate

Gunny
01-16-2016, 12:15 PM
Does ANYONE in this country know how to actually debate anymore? It seems pundits and media outlets have no idea. They stage free-for-all, petty pissing contests. The candidates aren't even supposed to interact with one another in a real debate.

Moderator asks A a question. A responds. B is then allowed to respond to A's response. Then B is asked a question. B responds. Then A is allowed to respond to B's response. At all times, the participants respond to the Moderator, NOT get into squabbles with the other participants.

They need to quit calling these mud-fests debates and call them what they are.

Elessar
01-16-2016, 01:07 PM
Does ANYONE in this country know how to actually debate anymore? It seems pundits and media outlets have no idea. They stage free-for-all, petty pissing contests. The candidates aren't even supposed to interact with one another in a real debate.

Moderator asks A a question. A responds. B is then allowed to respond to A's response. Then B is asked a question. B responds. Then A is allowed to respond to B's response. At all times, the participants respond to the Moderator, NOT get into squabbles with the other participants.

They've turned into cheaply done Reality Shows!

I never watch them any more.

Black Diamond
01-16-2016, 01:33 PM
Still too many candidates.

Gunny
01-16-2016, 02:33 PM
They've turned into cheaply done Reality Shows!

I never watch them any more.

I don't watch them. They are counterproductive to the goal of winning the Presidency.

Still too many candidates.

There are more than a few that need to just pack it in. Fox News has been running it into the dirt so I got the highlights.

Black Diamond
01-16-2016, 03:09 PM
I don't watch them. They are counterproductive to the goal of winning the Presidency.

There are more than a few that need to just pack it in. Fox News has been running it into the dirt so I got the highlights.
Carson, Christie, and Kasich should drop. Only good thing about Kasich being in is he may be a good veep choice

Gunny
01-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Carson, Christie, and Kasich should drop. Only good thing about Kasich being in is he may be a good veep choice

Rubio and Bush need to go as well. Bush just doesn't have the personality to inspire, and I don't care much for Rubio. There's just something wrong about him. Honestly, I wish Trump would drop out too. He's going to cost us this election.

Black Diamond
01-16-2016, 05:00 PM
Rubio and Bush need to go as well. Bush just doesn't have the personality to inspire, and I don't care much for Rubio. There's just something wrong about him. Honestly, I wish Trump would drop out too. He's going to cost us this election.

I feel like trump needs to be knocked out as opposed to him dropping out.

Gunny
01-16-2016, 05:14 PM

Either way. As long as he's gone.

LongTermGuy
01-16-2016, 07:34 PM

Who is Your Candidate that you would like to see make it?

LongTermGuy
01-16-2016, 07:36 PM

It seems Trump is doing all the Knocking.....And Many Americans like him....Go Trump!

Black Diamond
01-16-2016, 07:39 PM
It seems Trump is doing all the Knocking.....Go Trump!

Hillary appreciates your support.

Black Diamond
01-16-2016, 07:48 PM

I hope I am wrong. Hillary needs to lose.

LongTermGuy
01-16-2016, 07:52 PM

I would turn that around and say the same to you....But no worries...Trump will kick her ass...

LongTermGuy
01-16-2016, 07:53 PM
I hope I am wrong. Hillary needs to lose.

Yes she does....and will....she belongs in Jail

Black Diamond
01-16-2016, 07:59 PM
I would turn that around and say the same to you....But no worries...Trump will kick her ass...

I enjoy the sparring my friend.

Black Diamond
01-16-2016, 08:08 PM

Promise???

Black Diamond
01-16-2016, 08:10 PM
Assure me that Supercoon's deeds will be undone.

PixieStix
01-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Assure me that Supercoon's deeds will be undone.

If the will is there, yes. If however the next resident is an establishment politician he or God forbid she, may have to step on some establishment toes. Donald Trump doesn't care about political toes. He cares about the United States and it's people first and foremost

PixieStix
01-16-2016, 08:28 PM

Which one of the 15 or so republicans do you think can beat the hildabeast?

Black Diamond
01-16-2016, 08:36 PM

Rubio.

fj1200
01-16-2016, 08:38 PM

Almost any of them.

DLT
01-16-2016, 10:46 PM

Cruz knows how to debate. The others? Not so much.

Drummond
01-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Cruz knows how to debate. The others? Not so much.

Debating can be part of the process of convincing someone of a point of view, but it doesn't have to follow that it's of crucial importance. The sheer strength and unassailability of a candidate's position can become apparent just by stating it.

I don't think that Trump is a strong debater .. but, he still leads in the polls. What he has to say resonates with people. They want someone who's unafraid to say what has to be said .. someone who'll call a spade a spade.

Rubio has been mentioned. I've no idea how good, or otherwise, he is. What I do know is that in a BBC debate, held amongst pundits asked what will become significant in 2016 .. when it came to the US election, and talking about Republicans, nobody looked past Rubio as being significant. Trump didn't even get a mention. Which makes me believe that the direction of that debate was biased, and since this is the BBC we're talking about, I have to wonder why they'd only consider Rubio.

For what it's worth, I've found this ...

http://rare.us/story/rubios-latest-attack-on-paul-and-cruz-is-pure-liberalism/

Gunny
01-18-2016, 09:25 AM
Who is Your Candidate that you would like to see make it?

"My" candidate? Whoever can beat the Dems and it isn't Trump, no matter how much some of y'all might wish it. Aside from the fact I think he's a disaster, he's alienated too many people. As candidates drop, their supporters are going to get behind one still in the running or stay home. A lot of moderates/centrists and independents will just stay home.

LongTermGuy
01-18-2016, 09:54 AM
"My" candidate? Whoever can beat the Dems and it isn't Trump, no matter how much some of y'all might wish it. Aside from the fact I think he's a disaster, he's alienated too many people. As candidates drop, their supporters are going to get behind one still in the running or stay home. A lot of moderates/centrists and independents will just stay home.

"A lot of moderates/centrists and independents will just stay home."

Naaaaaaa ^^^...we all seen how well that worked out before....most folks are smarter than that and do have the capability to learn from the past...

*The American people seem to disagree with you for now...."I.. and they" do Believe it will take a Trump to get all things done that need to be done.....

....Like I said before ..I would support any republican candidate chosen by the people...even if its not "my guy"....I would drop all my emotions and deal wit it...As time goes on...its easy to see...Trump is stronger than any of those other weak ass...(want a job candidates)

​I wouldn't mind seeing a Trump / Cruz thingy here though...

Gunny
01-18-2016, 10:11 AM
"A lot of moderates/centrists and independents will just stay home."

Naaaaaaa ^^^...we all seen how well that worked out before....most folks are smarter than that and do have the capability to learn from the past...

*The American people seem to disagree with you for now...."I.. and they" do Believe it will take a Trump to get all things done that need to be done.....

....Like I said before ..I would support any republican candidate chosen by the people...even if its not "my guy"....I would drop all my emotions and deal wit it...As time goes on...its easy to see...Trump is stronger than any of those other weak ass...(want a job candidates)

​I wouldn't mind seeing a Trump / Cruz thingy here though...

Really? Y'think? Let's see, the GOP hasn't changed it's MO since the mid-90s. They continue with these self-destructive farces they call debates, and they let the media choose their candidate. Looks to me like this is just the 3-peat of 08 and 12 trying to make the same wrong thing work and expecting a different result. We've lost the last 2 elections mostly for people just staying home.

This one's no different. Same game plan. Same lackluster candidates.

Drummond
01-18-2016, 10:28 AM
Really? Y'think? Let's see, the GOP hasn't changed it's MO since the mid-90s. They continue with these self-destructive farces they call debates, and they let the media choose their candidate. Looks to me like this is just the 3-peat of 08 and 12 trying to make the same wrong thing work and expecting a different result. We've lost the last 2 elections mostly for people just staying home.

This one's no different. Same game plan. Same lackluster candidates.

Trump is (I'll defer to the American spelling) .. 'lackluster' ? .....

Gunny
01-18-2016, 10:37 AM
Trump is (I'll defer to the American spelling) .. 'lackluster' ? .....

Trump is on the opposite side of the same coin as Obama. I don't want another tyrant regardless where he/she comes from. But, you ARE making my point for me.

The two most qualified people on the stage are also the most boring. They get no air time and no one listens to them. The blowhards like Trump and Christie have at east one or two media outlets trailing them at all times just to catch what outrageous thing they're going to say next. This is a popularity contest, nothing more.

Perianne
01-18-2016, 03:05 PM
Trump is on the opposite side of the same coin as Obama. I don't want another tyrant regardless where he/she comes from. But, you ARE making my point for me.

The two most qualified people on the stage are also the most boring. They get no air time and no one listens to them. The blowhards like Trump and Christie have at east one or two media outlets trailing them at all times just to catch what outrageous thing they're going to say next. This is a popularity contest, nothing more.

Isn't it always? How is this contest different from any other election?

Gunny
01-18-2016, 05:25 PM
Isn't it always? How is this contest different from any other election?

They haven't always been. People used to vote for who they though was the best candidate based on their position, not on their media presence. For instance, Jeb Bush is by far and away the most qualified of those remaining to be president. He's awkward and uncomfortable, and doesn't know how to operate outside the status quo to hammer a blowhard like Trump. Trump on the other hand is comfortable with the media. I don't need a faux-reality show host for President just because he looks good on camera.