PDA

View Full Version : Antwaan Randle El

Perianne
01-21-2016, 12:04 AM
After making 40+ million dollars playing football, Antwaan Randle El says if he could go back, he wouldn't do it again.

Ri-ight.

Ten years after he threw one of the most-celebrated passes in Steelers history, Antwaan Randle El has trouble walking down stairs.
“I have to come down sideways sometimes, depending on the day,” Randle El, 36, said. “Going up is easier actually than coming down.”
Randle El was an electric athlete, versatile enough to run a route on one play and throw a beautiful spiral on the next, as he did in Super Bowl XL when he found Hines Ward for a 43-yard touchdown on a wide receiver reverse pass. That his body has begun to betray him before his 40th birthday is hard to fathom. The crazy thing is that Randle El can feel his mind slipping, too.
“I ask my wife things over and over again, and she’s like, ‘I just told you that,’ ” Randle El said. “I’ll ask her three times the night before and get up in the morning and forget. Stuff like that. I try to chalk it up as I’m busy, I’m doing a lot, but I have to be on my knees praying about it, asking God to allow me to not have these issues and live a long life. I want to see my kids raised up. I want to see my grandkids.”
Randle El didn’t hesitate when asked if he regrets playing football.
“If I could go back, I wouldn’t,” he said. “I would play baseball. I got drafted by the Cubs in the 14th round, but I didn’t play baseball because of my parents. They made me go to school. Don’t get me wrong, I love the game of football. But, right now, I could still be playing baseball.

Randle El seems to think in the future males won't want to play football, or mothers won't let their sons play football.

“Right now,” he said, “I wouldn’t be surprised if football isn’t around in 20, 25 years.”

There will always be plenty of people who will take the risks to have a chance to earn $40,000,000. Military men take much greater risks (and infinitely higher mortality rates) to earn only a fraction of what these athletes are paid.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/01/19/If-I-could-go-back-I-wouldn-t-play-football/stories/201601190177

fj1200
01-21-2016, 11:00 AM
After making 40+ million dollars playing football, Antwaan Randle El says if he could go back, he wouldn't do it again.

Ri-ight.

It wasn't football or nothing, it was football or baseball.

Randle El didn’t hesitate when asked if he regrets playing football.
“If I could go back, I wouldn’t,” he said. “I would play baseball. I got drafted by the Cubs in the 14th round, but I didn’t play baseball because of my parents. They made me go to school. Don’t get me wrong, I love the game of football. But, right now, I could still be playing baseball.

Gunny
01-21-2016, 11:16 AM

Ri-ight.

Randle El seems to think in the future males won't want to play football, or mothers won't let their sons play football.

There will always be plenty of people who will take the risks to have a chance to earn $40,000,000. Military men take much greater risks (and infinitely higher mortality rates) to earn only a fraction of what these athletes are paid.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/01/19/If-I-could-go-back-I-wouldn-t-play-football/stories/201601190177

Lots of mothers ALREADY won't let their sons play football. Glad MY mother didn't try to pull THAT crap. I'd have done it anyway. :)

One thing I was told a long, LONG time ago ... I was going to pay for all the sports, powerlifiting, martial arts down the road. And I am. It started going downhill about 10 years ago. I'd still do it again.

Of course, at Randle El's age I was still in the Marine Corps and was running 3-5 miles a day and powerlifting. He's going to REALLY feel bad when he hits 50 if it's bothering him that bad now.

Elessar
01-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Of course, at Randle El's age I was still in the Marine Corps and was running 3-5 miles a day and powerlifting. He's going to REALLY feel bad when he hits 50 if it's bothering him that bad now.

Boy, that is a fact.

Why is he whining? He didn't play in the 50-60's when a lot of the long term
problems were not certain.

He played in the modern era.

He made a choice and now has to live with it.

Gunny
01-21-2016, 12:09 PM
Boy, that is a fact.

Why is he whining? He didn't play in the 50-60's when a lot of the long term
problems were not certain.

He played in the modern era.

He made a choice and now has to live with it.

Yeah, and the NFL sent you home in a box. You didn't get but most meager of retirement checks until you were 65. Most of them had day jobs too because you couldn't live on an NFL salary back then. That's why you saw a lot of NFL players from that era in pro wrestling. I think Ernie Ladd said he quit the NFL and started wrestling full time because he could make $100K a year at that and about $10K in the NFL.

And if you lost a knee THEN? It was gone.

These players now take a lot for granted. They're overpaid sissies in my book. Most of them don't even know how to tackle properly. Hell, I have to put on a knee brace every morning first thing and I didn't make $40M getting it that way.