PDA

View Full Version : Education

Perianne
01-25-2016, 06:30 AM
I attended a small, country high school. I studied English, mathematics, history, health, science.... the basic stuff. When I applied several years later to attend college, my ACT score was 28 (equivalent to about 1880 SAT). While 28 does not make me a genius of any kind, it is good enough to be accepted to most colleges. Only the high-end ones would not accept me. I didn't care. I wanted to be a nurse and the local community college had a good program. I applied and was accepted. I later attended Murray State University for the Bachelor Degree in Nursing, and later University of Kentucky for pre med.

When my husband and I married, we were dirt poor. But here is one thing we both had: a solid education from high school. We both could read. Using our reading skills, we were able to improve our positions in life. But what was equally important was the fact that we were confident in our ability to learn new things. We had a solid foundation built from our public schooling.

I taught myself computers and music. I also have a keen interest and understanding of electronics theory. .

I am nothing special when it comes to intelligence. So I don't understand why kids today are so far behind the rest of the world in education? It is the schools' curriculums, the teachers, the genetic weaknesses of the students, the drive to achieve success, or what is it?

Can you help, Kathianne.

darin
01-25-2016, 06:47 AM
The everyone gets a trophy mentality is to blame - thus, PARENTS are to blame.

We raised kids we gave stuff too. Now THEIR kids expect it.

Little shits.

NightTrain
01-25-2016, 07:08 AM
Parents are to blame.

When any of my kids bring home less than a B, there's a sit-down and in-depth conversation about what the problem is. I really don't settle for a B, either... that gets discussed as well as far as how to improve it.

100% of the time it is due to the kids not turning in homework and/or assignments, which is 50% of the grade. They can nail the tests with 100%, but if they don't turn in the other work they'll have an F.

My standard punishment for hauling home unacceptable grades is removing all electronics. No computers, no phones, no movies, no video games, no TV. Suddenly the kid has all sorts of free time to do the work and turn it in - and even pursue extra credit.

They sometimes think it's draconian, but I don't care. This is training for the performance-based world we live in.

Perianne
01-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Bump

Do we have any educators here who are willing to discuss?