PDA

View Full Version : Complete reno

Abbey Marie
02-01-2016, 04:52 PM
Of our master bathroom. This is the first time I have done this much to a room. Down to wall studs and sub-flooring. He even had a jackhammer in there to break up the tile floor.

It's cool so far, but being evicted from my own bedroom/bathroom is a pretty big hassle. And because of the rooms involved, feels like an invasion of privacy.

Anyone go through this in their bedroom or master bath? How long did it take?

jimnyc
02-01-2016, 04:58 PM
The woman and I have separate bathrooms. She had hers completely redone a few years back. This included: removal of old tub, removal of floor; walls, ceiling.... down to nothing but the framing. Put in new stand in shower with a seating area with a hydraulic door of some type, new toilet, new exhaust system, new walls of course, new sink... I guess it matters how in depth the stuff is that is coming into the new bathroom. But she got everything done and the whole job took about 2-3 weeks, but we also had some waiting time for the folks who installed the new glass.

Abbey Marie
02-01-2016, 05:04 PM
Sounds like the wife's bathroom is top of the line. How does yours look?

Our guy estimated 10 days. Feels like forever, but it's worth it, I assume!

We are keeping the toilet and the base of the wall-to-wall vanity cabinet. Everything else is getting ripped out. My "choices" for shower tile (stone) and bathroom floor tile (porcelain) made us go over budget about $3,000. Russ is being nice about it. I'm a very lucky wifey.

jimnyc
02-01-2016, 05:20 PM
Sounds like the wife's bathroom is top of the line. How does yours look?

Our guy estimated 10 days. Feels like forever, but it's worth it, I assume!

We are keeping the toilet and the base of the wall-to-wall vanity cabinet. Everything else is getting ripped out. My "choices" for shower tile (stone) and bathroom floor tile (porcelain) made us go over budget about $3,000. Russ is being nice about it. I'm a very lucky wifey.

It's not the largest of bathrooms though. My mother in law, when I first met her she lived in NJ. Her bathroom had dual sinks, dual stand up showers, although only one toilet. Also a hot tub /whirlpool. Overkill probably. My wife's bathroom is much much smaller. That's where my wife spent a lot, was on the tile that went inside the shower. The floors and the rest of the walls were reasonable. And she spent a fortune on a dual shower head. So you can turn it one way, and a lower spout comes out I guess for legs, and for holding it in your hand. While the main one also comes off, it's mainly for regular showering. I love it because the water comes out like you're standing under a waterfall. Shampoo and soap for an hour and all is off in like 2 seconds!

And don't ask about "my" bathroom. Best I can give is my wife's definition - bacterial cesspool

Perianne
02-01-2016, 07:31 PM
The woman and I have separate bathrooms. She had hers completely redone a few years back. This included: removal of old tub, removal of floor; walls, ceiling.... down to nothing but the framing. Put in new stand in shower with a seating area with a hydraulic door of some type, new toilet, new exhaust system, new walls of course, new sink... I guess it matters how in depth the stuff is that is coming into the new bathroom. But she got everything done and the whole job took about 2-3 weeks, but we also had some waiting time for the folks who installed the new glass.

I preferred that when I was married. My husband(s) always made stinky odors during the night and woke me up. Those things seem to last forever under the covers.

indago
02-01-2016, 09:39 PM
I preferred that when I was married. My husband(s) always made stinky odors during the night and woke me up. Those things seem to last forever under the covers.

My how the "romance" wears off in such a short time...

Perianne
02-01-2016, 09:48 PM
My how the "romance" wears off in such a short time...

My beloved first husband and I went at it like teenagers for the whole of our 26 years together. But I could not stand to breathe in his stinky odors while he slept. It is too much to ask of any person.

glockmail
02-02-2016, 09:21 AM
I've done 5 bath renovations so far. The first two completely by myself, the third mostly me, 4th about 1/2 me, and the last one, I did very little. The last one took the longest and turned out looking like crap.

I've also done two kitchens. The first by myself, the second about 1/3 me. Those were both huge hassles because you basically have to camp inside your home.

If you contractor told you 10 days, plan on 20.

LongTermGuy
02-03-2016, 05:20 PM
My beloved first husband and I went at it like teenagers for the whole of our 26 years together. But I could not stand to breathe in his stinky odors while he slept. It is too much to ask of any person.

http://www.laughtodeath.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/fart-in-bed.jpg

Abbey Marie
02-03-2016, 05:36 PM
I've done 5 bath renovations so far. The first two completely by myself, the third mostly me, 4th about 1/2 me, and the last one, I did very little. The last one took the longest and turned out looking like crap.

I've also done two kitchens. The first by myself, the second about 1/3 me. Those were both huge hassles because you basically have to camp inside your home.

Ha, he's already upped it to 11.

indago
02-03-2016, 11:54 PM

Figure it this way...

There are 24 hours in a day. He works, probably 5 hours in a day on the job, every other day. So, he will be finished in 96 days.

darin
02-04-2016, 01:48 AM
What I thought this thread was going to be about:

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Reno-911-22.jpg