View Full Version : Man arrested after tank rampage

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Story Highlights

Australian man drove armored personnel carrier through mobile phone towers
Police arrested the 45-year-old en route to destroying a seventh tower
Man charged with malicious damage, breaking and entry, predatory driving

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/14/australia.tank.reut/index.html

Kinda reminds me of that old school movie Tank.

Predatory driving? Obviously the story writer has never driven in Los Angeles. :laugh2:

Gaffer
07-14-2007, 09:12 PM
There was a case in LA where a guy stole a tank and went driving around the streets of LA crushing cars and knocking over poles. It was quite a chase. They finally caught him when he got hung up on a freeway divider wall. There is some video about it. Happened about 20 years ago.

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 09:14 PM
There was a case in LA where a guy stole a tank and went driving around the streets of LA crushing cars and knocking over poles. It was quite a chase. They finally caught him when he got hung up on a freeway divider wall. There is some video about it. Happened about 20 years ago.

How long ago was that? Have you seen the movie Tank? I wonder if that's where they got the movie idea from?

Gaffer
07-14-2007, 09:41 PM
It's been ages since I saw that video. I think I saw it at the police academy. I don't know if the incident inspired the movie or the movie inspired the incident. I think it came out about the time this happened though. As I recall they shot the guy. I think we watched it during firearms training. While part of the class was in shooting the rest of us had to watch movies. Mostly about real shoot outs and this was one of them. Not sure if its available anywhere.

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 09:43 PM
It's been ages since I saw that video. I think I saw it at the police academy. I don't know if the incident inspired the movie or the movie inspired the incident. I think it came out about the time this happened though. As I recall they shot the guy. I think we watched it during firearms training. While part of the class was in shooting the rest of us had to watch movies. Mostly about real shoot outs and this was one of them. Not sure if its available anywhere.

The guy in the movie doesn't get shot, he get's injured almost seriously while trying to get the tank un-stuck.

diuretic
07-15-2007, 05:01 AM
"Predatory driving" - it's explained here in the NSW Parliament Hansard:

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LC19970627056

I hadn't heard of it either.