PDA

View Full Version : Less than 10 seconds into the hall of fame

jimnyc
02-07-2016, 01:05 PM
That's how long it took for Brett Favre once the voting took place.

-----

There was no debate over Brett Favre's Pro Football Hall of Fame candidacy.

When it came time for the HOF committee to discuss The Gunslinger's worthiness during Saturday's marathon meeting, the debate lasted nine seconds, per NFL Media's Steve Wyche. Charean Williams, a voter from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, noted it was actually six seconds.

Regardless of what the debate stopwatch read, the point is that there was no need to discuss Favre's entrance into Canton.

"As a kid all I ever dreamed of was to play pro football, to be Archie Manning or Roger Staubach, that's all I ever dreamed of," Favre said after being introduced with the other seven members of the 2016 class at NFL Honors. "I hated Terry Bradshaw, which I told him that. He's OK now. But that's all I ever dreamed of. I never dreamed of all the other stuff. It's been way more than I ever could imagine, so I'm extremely thankful for that."

The superlatives to describe Favre's career are exhaustive.

He threw for 3,000 yards in all but his first and last seasons. He recorded 4,000-yard seasons six times. Retired as the NFL's all-time leading passer with 6,300 completions, 10,169 attempts, 71,838 yards and 508 TDs. Threw four or more TD passes in a then-record 23 games. Established playoff records for attempts (791), completions (481), yards (5,855) and consecutive games with a TD pass (20). Led the NFL in TD passes four times, including three straight seasons (1995-97). Voted first-team All-Pro three straight seasons; second-team All-Pro twice. Selected to 11 Pro Bowls, Favre was amed NFL's Most Valuable Player three consecutive times (1995-97). Started in five NFC championship games. Threw a pair of TD passes and added a rushing TD to lead the Packers to a victory in Super Bowl XXXI.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000633831/article/debate-over-brett-favres-hof-candidacy-took-less-than-10-seconds?campaign=fb-nf-sf20519102-sf20519102