View Full Version : Newly released bin Laden video calls for martyrdom

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Story Highlights

No evidence on videotape of when it was made; probably not recent
40-minute video said to include 50-second message from bin Laden
Tape was intercepted en route to Web sites that publish al Qaeda messages

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/07/14/bin.laden.video/index.html

These diaper heads are planning something, im just hoping this time we can catch it before it happens.

Gaffer
07-14-2007, 08:51 PM
From what I read earlier today its an old tape of him they resurrected for some purpose. And a compiling of various people. Could contain code for someone.

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 08:56 PM
From what I read earlier today its an old tape of him they resurrected for some purpose. And a compiling of various people. Could contain code for someone.

Right, they don't know for sure, but they are guessing around 2001.

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Now CNN is reporting that the tape doesn't necessarily indicate imminent attack. DO they really expect us to buy that?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/07/14/bin.laden.video/index.html

Gaffer
07-14-2007, 10:28 PM
In that sense they are right. It could be a signal to get ready. Or to standby for further orders. Or a code for a date in the near future. But I would guess that its a signal of some sort, and hopefully our agents are aware of what it means and are ready to stop it.

I know there's a ton of stuff going on that we never hear about. With all the high ranking AQ we have in custody I would think there would be information available about what is really being said in that tape. Gitmo is a wealth of intelligence info.

LiberalNation
07-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Oh I'm just shaking in my lil boots. Really it's all just scare tactics until something actually happens.

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Oh I'm just shaking in my lil boots. Really it's all just scare tactics until something actually happens.

It has happened, several times in the past. We were getting video's before the attacks as well. If you remember it happened when Clinton was in office, AQ almost sunk the U.S.S. Cole down in the Persian Golf in international waters. He also had AQ bomb Embassy's, which are technically on US soil. We had every right to strike back after each incident as they are considered an act of war, but President Clinton was to much of a pansy to do it.

We almost had Bin Laden several times but President Clinton would never go for it because he didn't want a war, and look what happened, 9/11, So yea you should be shaking these guy's mean business and they will hit us again and I guarantee it will be a lot worse then the first time!

waterrescuedude2000
07-15-2007, 02:00 AM
I'd love to castrate a pig a make him eat it. Then id tape a football in his hands and shoot him with a bullet soaked in pigs blood. Wouldn't that be a great insult to a shithead like him??:fu:

nevadamedic
07-15-2007, 02:43 AM
I'd love to castrate a pig a make him eat it. Then id tape a football in his hands and shoot him with a bullet soaked in pigs blood. Wouldn't that be a great insult to a shithead like him??:fu:

That''s pretty sick.............

waterrescuedude2000
07-15-2007, 03:12 AM
Well they hate pork so much well that would be the ultimate insult to them

diuretic
07-15-2007, 04:47 AM
If martyrdom is so good then perhaps bin Laden could give it a try. No, thought not, he wants others to die.

Gaffer
07-15-2007, 10:55 AM

I agree with you. I saw a video not long ago about a soldier who dips all his bullet tips in lard before loading them in the magazine. He wants to assist them all he can in finding their way to hell.

Gaffer
07-15-2007, 11:02 AM
It has happened, several times in the past. We were getting video's before the attacks as well. If you remember it happened when Clinton was in office, AQ almost sunk the U.S.S. Cole down in the Persian Golf in international waters. He also had AQ bomb Embassy's, which are technically on US soil. We had every right to strike back after each incident as they are considered an act of war, but President Clinton was to much of a pansy to do it.

We almost had Bin Laden several times but President Clinton would never go for it because he didn't want a war, and look what happened, 9/11, So yea you should be shaking these guy's mean business and they will hit us again and I guarantee it will be a lot worse then the first time!

The thing to worry about is when they start hitting malls and shops and grocery stores. Or just drive down the road shooting at people. That's when real terror will come to your neighborhood.

The tapes serve multiple purposes. Propaganda for the jihadis, scare tactics for the weak kneed. And signals or orders to the cells here or enroute here.

glockmail
07-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I agree with you. I saw a video not long ago about a soldier who dips all his bullet tips in lard before loading them in the magazine. He wants to assist them all he can in finding their way to hell. I don't think they need any assistance, but if it improves the guy's aim then I'm all for it.

Kathianne
07-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Videos show the video is a re-run, but there may be some reasons to be concerned:

http://hotair.com/archives/2007/07/14/new-osama-video-released/

“New” Osama video released; Update: Mystery solved — new video matches video shot in 2001; Update: Zawahiri directed Red Mosque jihadis? Update: It’s a re-run
posted at 3:41 pm on July 14, 2007 by Allahpundit

Laura Mansfield’s got it, of course, as does CNN. Interestingly, the tape hasn’t been formally released yet by as-Sahab; those in the know, like Mansfield and CNN’s people abroad, know where to find this crap online before it hits the jihadi websites. Presumably so does the CIA, but who knows anymore?

It’s “new” but not really new — and yet potentially significant.

Osama bin Laden stresses the importance of martyrdom for Muslim causes in a videotape that purportedly contains a 50-second message from the al Qaeda leader.

The 40-minute videotape, whose audio was being translated from Arabic by CNN, was intercepted before it was to appear on several Islamist Web sites known for carrying statements from al Qaeda and other radical groups…

Octavia Nasr, CNN’s senior editor for Arab affairs, said the videotape does not appear to be new.

The environment shown is similar to that on releases made before the September 11, 2001, terror attacks, in which bin Laden is seen in the company of some of the hijackers, Nasr said.

Some of the backdrops also resemble those shown in videos when the U.S. attacks against the Taliban in Afghanistan began not long after the 9/11 attacks, she added.

Follow the link to Mansfield’s site to watch the clip. No subtitles, but here’s her translation:

The seal of the prophets and all messengers (reference to Prophet Mohammed), prayers and peace be upon him, wished this status.

So be alert, be wise and think.

What is this status that the best of mankind wished for himself?

He wished to be a martyr.

He himself said ‘By Him in Whose Hands my life is! I would love to attack and be martyred, then attack again and be martyred, then attack again and be martyred.’

So this whole broad life is summarized by he who was inspired by God, the lord of the heavens and earth, praised and exalted is He.

This glorious prophet who was inspired by God summarized this entire life by these words. He wished upon himself this status. Happy is the one who was chosen by god as a martyr.

The feds are already worried about Zawahiri’s new tape containing some sort of signal to jihadis in the field. The fact that it’s followed by the first new Osama video in almost three years won’t do anything to reassure them. It’s also worth noting that the quote in the middle here is repeated three times, just like the quote at the end of the Zawahiri tape that’s got the feds nervous. It comes from Volume 4, Book 52, Number 54 of the Bukhari translation of the hadith; Zawahiri’s quote came from Mohammed’s last sermon. Whether any of that is significant in and of itself, I have no idea.

Update: “Experts who study al Qaeda videos told ABC News they had not previously seen the clip of bin Laden, which was released with little fanfare and contains no date references, but say it is most likely an unreleased portion of an earlier message.”

Update: Nice work by Jim Hoft here. It’s not ironclad, but if the new video is new then he’s had that hat and jacket for a long time.

Update: Mystery solved, thanks to Jim. I googled around based on the screencap he found and discovered this article at CBS from May 2002. Luckily they’re exceptionally good about archiving their video so you can watch a clip from that Bin Laden tape right in the sidebar at the link. Compare a still from that one…

cbs.jpg

…with a still from the clip released today, noting the sloping mountain on the left and the leaves overhead:

mans.jpg

Same video. Incidentally, that earlier video was obtained by something called the Al-Ansaar Islamic news agency, which is based in Britain. They claimed in May 2002 that they got it from a Pakistani intelligence officer a month earlier and that parts had been shot in an Afghan town called Spinboldak in March. But someone who would know disagrees:

[T]he chief editor of the Qatar-based Arab television station Al-Jazeera, which has aired videos showing bin Laden in the past, said Monday that people at the station had seen the same tape months ago and believed it was recorded in October.

“This is the same tape that we had four months ago, which we didn’t show because we didn’t think it was newsworthy,” said the editor, Ibrahim Helal. “There was nothing new in it and seemed to be a PR stunt. We think it was recorded sometime in October [2001].”

That makes more sense, as Osama probably wouldn’t have lingered long in Afghanistan after the assault on Tora Bora in November.

Update: One other thing I just noticed to confirm the match — you can see he’s explicitly referring to the Bukhari translation of the hadith in the CBS still. That’s the same translation the quote from “today’s” video comes from.

Update: Did Zawahiri goad the Ghazi boys into precipitating the Red Mosque standoff? “Senior intel officials” claim that letters from him were found by Pakistani troops inside the building after the assault finally ended, and that AQ personnel might have been on scene:

Government sources said up to 18 foreign fighters — including Uzbeks, Egyptians and several Afghans — had arrived weeks before the final shootout and set up firing ranges to teach students, including children, how to handle weapons…

Ministers blamed the presence of foreign fighters for the breakdown of negotiations at the Red Mosque just as they seemed about to reach a deal to end the standoff peacefully.

According to government sources and western diplomats, Al-Qaeda sought martyrdom instead. “They wanted a poster boy for Pakistan and Ghazi was the perfect guy,” said one western diplomat.

Yeah, this lets them tell their zombie followers that whatever it is they’re about to do in Pakistan is “self-defense” and revenge for Musharraf’s atrocities against the Mosque. The left loves loves loves Reichstag fire analogies, but I suspect they’ll be slow to see a possible twist on it here from Zawahiri — precipitating a crisis and then exploiting it as a pretext for a preconceived terror campaign not by starting the fire yourself, but by forcing the government to act and “martyr” you. Makes sense, but who knows if it’s true? All we have to go on is circumstantial evidence.

At least five bodies of foreign jihadis have already been recovered, FYI.

Update: The feared fundie outcry after the Red Mosque assault has thankfully not materialized, which may be a sign that Pakistan isn’t as close to the brink as we think.

Update: As it turns out, not only was the Osama footage filmed long ago, the clip itself isn’t new. Senior intel officials say it aired in April 2002.

5stringJeff
07-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Can't Dubya release a video calling for Bin Laden's martyrdom? Or better yet, showing it?

glockmail
07-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Can't Dubya release a video calling for Bin Laden's martyrdom? Or better yet, showing it? You know when you think about it, that would be a very good idea.

nevadamedic
07-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Can't Dubya release a video calling for Bin Laden's martyrdom? Or better yet, showing it?

:clap::clap::clap: