PDA

View Full Version : Vestiges Of Segregation

indago
02-09-2016, 10:34 AM
Journalist Jay Reeves wrote for The Associated Press 9 February 2016:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The inequity built into The Lyric Theatre's very architecture is a painful reminder of the city's ugly past as one of the most segregated places in America. But it also serves as a living history lesson, a symbol of how the Deep South has changed since the courts ended discriminatory Jim Crow laws.

Preservationists had to decide whether to keep reminders of The Lyric's discarded color line before they unveiled an $11 million restoration of the 102-year-old theater, which had been closed for decades. In this case, they chose to highlight the history, installing a glass door with the etched words "Historic Colored Entrance" in the lobby wall so patrons can peer into the past.

Across the South, people are struggling with similar questions: What does a changing region do with the vestiges of back-alley service windows, segregated waiting rooms, dual water fountains and abandoned schools that once formed the skeleton of a society built on oppression?

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BLACK_HISTORY_MONTH_JIM_CROW_RELICS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-02-09-05-48-56)

Civilizations are built upon civilizations. Ancient civilizations are found while digging to rebuild new civilizations, and ancient records are discovered that describe life in that time. Progressive societies should rebuild to present standards. Records could be kept in archives concerning how it was, as are museums built.

Gunny
02-16-2016, 11:07 AM
The inequity built into The Lyric Theatre's very architecture is a painful reminder of the city's ugly past as one of the most segregated places in America. But it also serves as a living history lesson, a symbol of how the Deep South has changed since the courts ended discriminatory Jim Crow laws.

Preservationists had to decide whether to keep reminders of The Lyric's discarded color line before they unveiled an $11 million restoration of the 102-year-old theater, which had been closed for decades. In this case, they chose to highlight the history, installing a glass door with the etched words "Historic Colored Entrance" in the lobby wall so patrons can peer into the past.

Across the South, people are struggling with similar questions: What does a changing region do with the vestiges of back-alley service windows, segregated waiting rooms, dual water fountains and abandoned schools that once formed the skeleton of a society built on oppression?

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BLACK_HISTORY_MONTH_JIM_CROW_RELICS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-02-09-05-48-56)

Civilizations are built upon civilizations. Ancient civilizations are found while digging to rebuild new civilizations, and ancient records are discovered that describe life in that time. Progressive societies should rebuild to present standards. Records could be kept in archives concerning how it was, as are museums built.

Because this is all we have to worry about? The Northern Midwest was just as segregated as the Deep South, and the largest Klan that ever existed was in Indiana, not MS. Why do we need reminders of anything that doesn't really matter at all today except in the minds of men and those who make money off of race?

And what does taking down Civil War memorials and fussing over back-all service windows accomplish? It STILL happened. The Coliseum still stands where Christians were fed to lions. If you make all these little vestiges of a world we are far removed from will it SHUT YOU UP? No. Want to play victim while destroying all the evidence that supports a tired and weak argument.

Typical black, leftwingnut thought process ... want to have your cake and eat it too.

revelarts
02-16-2016, 11:49 AM

sarcasm alert! sarcasm alert! sarcasm alert! sarcasm alert!

So What are they trying to say?!
Obviously this is PURE POLITICS and RACE BAITING... about something!!!:mad::mad::mad:

To bring up race or history or the south because a theaters remodeling efforts points out old pervasive racial standards, and to call them "oppressive". :eek: well obviously they are ONLY trying to start a fight!! ( i'm not sure why it makes me want to fight since i had nothing to do with the theater or colored entrances but somehow it does) Obviously the writer is a racist black, the architectural firm are raicist blacks , anyone who weighed in on the question in anyway that i don't like is racist or race traitor. These left-wing-black-political-commie white-people-hater-money-based-racist-race-baiter's point is ONLY to run down the south by asking what to do about architectural issues like that?!! (BTW the north was just as ..NOT so Bad as they say... as the south was anyway)

Plus racism and oppression is not what all those side doors and whatnot were REALLY about anyway!! They ONLY show that black people could go to the movies! They're always only painting history with a negative brush.:mad: why? Because they are weak and pitiful! We the strong are the ones who can't be reminded of ANY negative history or we'll get offended or be mad. America is GREAT!!!. or at least will be again once the Trump or some republican is president and we stop immigration, kill all the muslims ... and/or the south rises again.

But what's the fuss all about anyway?! I know some black people that LOVED those side door! Said their parents loved the separated accommodations. And some wish we had it back or they have pictures of those doors etc. in their homes.
So there ya go, they don't print THAT in the paper.

Bottom line is I don't don't like the obvious bad motives that i can easily tell they had in the article.
And generally speaking the people who either want to erase the part of history about the south that i like,
or not erases or worse keep brininging up the parts of American history that i don't.

bottom, bottom line they are wrong, whatever they do i don't like it if so-called racist history is mentioned so, i don't agree. because it only can be racist and divisive to mention it, everyone knows that. I'm sure Al Sharpton, Obama .. and Muslims are behind it.

Gunny
02-16-2016, 12:07 PM
sarcasm alert! sarcasm alert! sarcasm alert! sarcasm alert!

So What are they trying to say?!
Obviously this is PURE POLITICS and RACE BAITING... about something!!!:mad::mad::mad:

To bring up race or history or the south because a theaters remodeling efforts points out old pervasive racial standards, and to call them "oppressive". :eek: well obviously they are ONLY trying to start a fight!! ( i'm not sure why it makes me want to fight since i had nothing to do with the theater or colored entrances but somehow it does) Obviously the writer is a racist black, the architectural firm are raicist blacks , anyone who weighed in on the question in anyway that i don't like is racist or race traitor. These left-wing-black-political-commie white-people-hater-money-based-racist-race-baiter's point is ONLY to run down the south by asking what to do about architectural issues like that?!! (BTW the north was just as ..NOT so Bad as they say... as the south was anyway)

Plus racism and oppression is not what all those side doors and whatnot were REALLY about anyway!! They ONLY show that black people could go to the movies! They're always only painting history with a negative brush.:mad: why? Because they are weak and pitiful! We the strong are the ones who can't be reminded of ANY negative history or we'll get offended or be mad. America is GREAT!!!. or at least will be again once the Trump or some republican is president and we stop immigration, kill all the muslims ... and/or the south rises again.

But what's the fuss all about anyway?! I know some black people that LOVED those side door! Said their parents loved the separated accommodations. And some wish we had it back or they have pictures of those doors etc. in their homes.
So there ya go, they don't print THAT in the paper.

Bottom line is I don't don't like the obvious bad motives that i can easily tell they had in the article.
And generally speaking the people who either want to erase the part of history about the south that i like,
or not erases or worse keep brininging up the parts of American history that i don't.

bottom, bottom line they are wrong, whatever they do i don't like it if so-called racist history is mentioned so, i don't agree. because it only can be racist and divisive to mention it, everyone knows that. I'm sure Al Sharpton, Obama .. and Muslims are behind it.

Your sarcasm is stupid and makes like of the fact that race-baiters ARE behind it. Otherwise, why would it be an issue at all? I don't recall all this crap when they re-did the Majestic Theatre or the Gunther Hotel in San Antonio. Why? Nobody cared. We just upgraded and moved on.

Those can't let go of the past are doomed to dwell in it.

Abbey Marie
02-16-2016, 12:11 PM
Maybe Gunny or Darin can answer this: Apart from preserving the camps, how do Germans preserve and highlight evidence of the Nazi attempted extermination of the Jews?

Trigg
02-16-2016, 02:45 PM
I think it's wonderful that they wanted to preserve the history of the theater in this way. It isn't accusatory or "in your face" and it also is downplaying the reality. It's simply acknowledging that there was, at one point, a separate entrance.

The only problem I have is when these things are done to make people feel guilty about the past, a past that had nothing at all to do with them, their actions or their family.

Every culture has had leaders who killed for no other reason than hatred or power, either murdering their own people (Khmer rough, Stalin, Pol Pot), for land Ganges Khan, Britain, Spain, or religion (Boko Haram). I could go on, but I think everyone gets the point.

Teach history, so that it doesn't happen again. But don't teach it if the only purpose is to instill guilt.

revelarts
02-16-2016, 02:59 PM
Your sarcasm is stupid and makes like of the fact that race-baiters ARE behind it. Otherwise, why would it be an issue at all? I don't recall all this crap when they re-did the Majestic Theatre or the Gunther Hotel in San Antonio. Why? Nobody cared. We just upgraded and moved on.

Those can't let go of the past are doomed to dwell in it.

Maybe Gunny or Darin can answer this: Apart from preserving the camps, how do Germans preserve and highlight evidence of the Nazi attempted extermination of the Jews?

so people shouldn't wave the confederate flag then either, right?

that was part of the point of the sarcasm.

here we have a theater that just preserved a part of the past and there's whining.
Some folks a bit upset that it isn't just bulldozed and forgotten. Or whining because they think it shouldn't comes up at all. lets all forget about it. erasing history?
But when another part of history is simply just asked not to be raised as an official banner for a state. Then people cry foul and complain about trying to obliterate history. and people fly it all the more. as if it wasn't all over already:rolleyes:

look. is there a real middle ground?
Is it possible for people mention history without some people today feeling like they are being attacked?
I wonder how many people have come to terms with it either way.

personally. i don't like seeing confederate paraphernalia glorified.
I think it NEEDS to be shown in historical exhibits, plaques, graveyards, markers. I'm 100% in favor of it. But I'm a bit uncomfortable with celebratory monuments . (lets see how far out of context the previous 3 sentence will be taken. and what "real meaning will be divined.)
Abby like you mention the German's historical memorials, markers, and sites, YES, that's good. But celebratory monuments to the fallen nazis? That's a bit much to take. I don't think ANY history should be erased AT ALL, NONE, But how it's remembered is another thing.

I realized others have different views on the rebel flags, and monuments to confederate soldiers etc.. And i don't think my views should be preeminent by default, but i'm not trying to "race bait" just by bringing up my POV. I won't pretend like I think it "oh of course JUST represents some NOBLE history to see rebel flags or Monuments to Lee, Jackson and the confederacy." In my mind it's as "noble" as Japanese kamikazes memorabilia. guy dying for the god emperor or even muslim terrorist. What the confederacy (not "white people") represents is a nation based on horrible ideas. Ask a Jew or Gpysy if they think there are positive things about the Luftwaffe? Things they should feel obliged to celebrate or acknowledge in their skills OVER AND ABOVE overall effects. Or things they should feel obliged to focus on INSTEAD OF/MORE THAN the country's national goals. Can the Luftwaffe's aerial prowess and tactical skills and national loyalty be understood as "noble" and "honorable" and worthy of celebration outside of it's context? I don't think so, maybe the technical aspects, yes. But loyalty has it's limits if it's in service to darkness right?
At least that's how i see it.

Anyway. bottom line for me . I have no problem with noting history by various means. the good the bad and the ugly. In ways that are respectful to all players. I think it's the best and honest thing to do. But I get uncomfortable with some people's desire to celebrate some aspects of history while suppressing/ignore others that are joined at the hip with it. And I can't quite understand those who also assume the worse motives of those who point out or want to document negative history.

revelarts
02-16-2016, 03:08 PM
I think it's wonderful that they wanted to preserve the history of the theater in this way. It isn't accusatory or "in your face" and it also is downplaying the reality. It's simply acknowledging that there was, at one point, a separate entrance.

The only problem I have is when these things are done to make people feel guilty about the past, a past that had nothing at all to do with them, their actions or their family.

Every culture has had leaders who killed for no other reason than hatred or power, either murdering their own people (Khmer rough, Stalin, Pol Pot), for land Ganges Khan, Britain, Spain, or religion (Boko Haram). I could go on, but I think everyone gets the point.

Teach history, so that it doesn't happen again. But don't teach it if the only purpose is to instill guilt.

Agreed.

Every culture has a dark side. Acknowledging it and overcoming it is not weakness it's strength.
a person with a weight problem can look at the old FAT pants and say "never again". But it doesn't mean they shouldn't still watch there weight. or that they've lost all the weight they should to be fit. But they can legitimately celebrate how far they've come.

Abbey Marie
02-16-2016, 03:24 PM
Several years ago, archaeologists started digging up George Washington's "home" (Executive Mansion) in Philly, near Independence Hall. What an amazing and interesting piece of founding history, in the birthplace of our nation, no less.

I can tell you as someone who gets Philly news, that it immediately became wholly the story of how "Washington had slaves".

Check out the web site:
http://www.visitphilly.com/history/philadelphia/the-presidents-house-freedom-and-slavery-in-making-a-new-nation/

So, quick quiz: What important history is being suppressed or ignored here?

Gunny
02-16-2016, 03:25 PM

Last I heard, Germany has a whole list of NAZI-related things you aren't allowed to say and/or display. You can be as jihadist as you want though.

Let's look at this from an reverse point of view. Blacks didn't want freedom, but they got it. Once they got it, they wanted equality. They got that too. WHAT exactly have blacks done since that time to contribute to this Nation? They've been divisive, demanded handouts, and blamed any and every one of their shortcomings on whites. They've had 50 years to get out of the ghetto and get jobs the same as the rest of us.

By contrast, the US went from 13 colonies to California in 50 years. They're typical leftwingers. They want everyone else to catch them up instead of them working for it. The same can be said for the people of Vietnam and Iraq. We breeze in and give them stuff but don't bother teaching them how to make it. The difference here is, blacks have every opportunity, if not more, to succeed.

And as typical leftwingers, black or not, they don't see that the elitists promising them crap aren't the ones doing without. But they've been convinced it's about skin color, not class. The elites on the let are o different than the ones on the right.

Gunny
02-16-2016, 03:31 PM
so people shouldn't wave the confederate flag then either, right?

that was part of the point of the sarcasm.

here we have a theater that just preserved a part of the past and there's whining.
Some folks a bit upset that it isn't just bulldozed and forgotten. Or whining because they think it shouldn't comes up at all. lets all forget about it. erasing history?
But when another part of history is simply just asked not to be raised as an official banner for a state. Then people cry foul and complain about trying to obliterate history. and people fly it all the more. as if it wasn't all over already:rolleyes:

look. is there a real middle ground?
Is it possible for people mention history without some people today feeling like they are being attacked?
I wonder how many people have come to terms with it either way.

personally. i don't like seeing confederate paraphernalia glorified.
I think it NEEDS to be shown in historical exhibits, plaques, graveyards, markers. I'm 100% in favor of it. But I'm a bit uncomfortable with celebratory monuments . (lets see how far out of context the previous 3 sentence will be taken. and what "real meaning will be divined.)
Abby like you mention the German's historical memorials, markers, and sites, YES, that's good. But celebratory monuments to the fallen nazis? That's a bit much to take. I don't think ANY history should be erased AT ALL, NONE, But how it's remembered is another thing.

I realized others have different views on the rebel flags, and monuments to confederate soldiers etc.. And i don't think my views should be preeminent by default, but i'm not trying to "race bait" just by bringing up my POV. I won't pretend like I think it "oh of course JUST represents some NOBLE history to see rebel flags or Monuments to Lee, Jackson and the confederacy." In my mind it's as "noble" as Japanese kamikazes memorabilia. guy dying for the god emperor or even muslim terrorist. What the confederacy (not "white people") represents is a nation based on horrible ideas. Ask a Jew or Gpysy if they think there are positive things about the Luftwaffe? Things they should feel obliged to celebrate or acknowledge in their skills OVER AND ABOVE overall effects. Or things they should feel obliged to focus on INSTEAD OF/MORE THAN the country's national goals. Can the Luftwaffe's aerial prowess and tactical skills and national loyalty be understood as "noble" and "honorable" and worthy of celebration outside of it's context? I don't think so, maybe the technical aspects, yes. But loyalty has it's limits if it's in service to darkness right?
At least that's how i see it.

Anyway. bottom line for me . I have no problem with noting history by various means. the good the bad and the ugly. In ways that are respectful to all players. I think it's the best and honest thing to do. But I get uncomfortable with some people's desire to celebrate some aspects of history while suppressing/ignore others that are joined at the hip with it. And I can't quite understand those who also assume the worse motives of those who point out or want to document negative history.

Seems to me the only flags you aren't allowed to wave in this country are the American flag and the Confederate Flag. And I've actually never seen anyone wave the Stars n Bars. It's always that battle standard. Guess we need to talk to the Scots about that St Andrew's Cross thingy that was incorporated into the British Naval battle standard that became the battle standard of a few Southern regiments.