PDA

View Full Version : Gun Industry

indago
02-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Journalist Melissa Hellmann wrote for The Associated Press 8 February 2016:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A terse letter from Andrew Clyde's credit card-processing company explained it was discontinuing his corporate account because his Georgia firearms business "no longer met our underwriting guidelines." In a panic, Clyde called three other companies, which denied him, too. After hearing from Clyde and others in the gun business who reported similar treatment, the industry's trade association launched efforts in several Republican-led Legislatures over the past year seeking to restrict discrimination by financial institutions.

...each insurer has guidelines and certain risks in which it has expertise and have the right "to accept or reject any policyholder" based on those guidelines. He noted, for example, that many companies don't insure sports cars because they're outside of their expertise.

In Kansas, Santos told lawmakers last month that allowing financial institutions not to work with the firearm industry would put manufacturers and dealers out of business, and thus deny American citizens access to legal firearms.

"Without having the ability to purchase firearms from a dealer, they're not going to be able to exercise their Second Amendment," he said.

The Kansas Department of Insurance said it couldn't pinpoint any state law that protects industries from being denied services.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_XGR_GUN_DEALERS_DISCRIMINATION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-02-08-18-12-18)

fj1200
02-09-2016, 12:28 PM
So they want to compel private behavior? Hmm.

jimnyc
02-09-2016, 12:51 PM
So they want to compel private behavior? Hmm.

Do either businesses work with the public?

There wasn't much issue in going after a bakery and trying to compel their behavior.

fj1200
02-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Do either businesses work with the public?

There wasn't much issue in going after a bakery and trying to compel their behavior.

What's good for the goose?

jimnyc
02-09-2016, 01:21 PM
What's good for the goose?

Since I never said anything like that, let me ask you a question first. Do you think it's ok for a company to discriminate against customers?

fj1200
02-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Since I never said anything like that, let me ask you a question first. Do you think it's ok for a company to discriminate against customers?

It was a question but you seemed to be going down that road. And sure, NDA laws are generally counterproductive IMO. The rebuttal shouldn't be that others are forced to do business, the rebuttal to me should be that no one should be forced to do business.

jimnyc
02-09-2016, 01:28 PM
It was a question but you seemed to be going down that road. And sure, NDA laws are generally counterproductive IMO. The rebuttal shouldn't be that others are forced to do business, the rebuttal to me should be that no one should be forced to do business.

Honestly, I don't recall that being your stance for the bakery. :)

fj1200
02-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Honestly, I don't recall that being your stance for the bakery. :)

Then you were not paying attention. :poke:

jimnyc
02-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Then you were not paying attention. :poke:

There's a possibility that my brain got confused between your rhetorical devil's advocate weird shit. If my brain broke, you broke it. :poke:

fj1200
02-09-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm sure I left myself about three dozen ways I could get out of my stance though. It's what I do apparently. BWAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!11111

psst j/k

Nukeman
02-09-2016, 05:47 PM
If forced to cover, the Insurance Companies will just raise the rates to some ungodly amount that is cost prohibitive to the firearm company. I would recommend the firearm companies build a coop for insurance and become "self insured" and cut out the damn middle man!! I think most make enough money and would see profits if they are willing to take the time and negotiate carve outs with other local companies for services that otherwise would be paid by insurance..

indago
02-09-2016, 07:31 PM
If forced to cover, the Insurance Companies will just raise the rates to some ungodly amount that is cost prohibitive to the firearm company. I would recommend the firearm companies build a coop for insurance and become "self insured" and cut out the damn middle man!! I think most make enough money and would see profits if they are willing to take the time and negotiate carve outs with other local companies for services that otherwise would be paid by insurance..

That's how the shipping industry began their insurance: they shared the risk. Shippers met at the Lloyd's Coffee House on Lombard Street, London, England, and determined who was shipping where, and they would spread their goods to several ships so that if one was lost at sea, the shipper would not sustain a total loss, and, therefore, be ruined. Eventually, they began to pool their money into a fund, rather than redistribute their goods to several ships, and developed safe shipping routes so that their guarantee of indemnification for loss would be at a lower risk. If a ship went down outside the safe shipping route, there would be no indemnification.