PDA

View Full Version : Archdiocese to settle sex-abuse claims for $600 million or more

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Story Highlights

Los Angeles Catholic hierarchy to announce settlement Monday, AP says
About 500 plaintiffs to receive average of $1.2 million to $1.3 million each
Settlement includes release of priest personnel files after judge's review
Jury selection in trials scheduled to begin Monday

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/14/church.abuse.ap/index.html

Holy moly! No we know where people's collection plate money goes.

This is a really sad situation. The one person you are supposed to have complete trust in is your Priest, Rabbi or Pastor, and incidents like this really betrays that trust.

Kathianne
07-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Story Highlights

Los Angeles Catholic hierarchy to announce settlement Monday, AP says
About 500 plaintiffs to receive average of $1.2 million to $1.3 million each
Settlement includes release of priest personnel files after judge's review
Jury selection in trials scheduled to begin Monday

Holy moly! No we know where people's collection plate money goes.

This is a really sad situation. The one person you are supposed to have complete trust in is your Priest, Rabbi or Pastor, and incidents like this really betrays that trust.

How does this effect a rabbi or minister/pastor? How does it effect the entire Catholic Church?

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 04:25 PM
How does this effect a rabbi or minister/pastor? How does it effect the entire Catholic Church?

Im just saying it makes you realize that your kids arn't safe with anyone including a religious leader.

Missileman
07-14-2007, 04:31 PM
I read this article earlier and I've gotta ask...WTF is sexual abuse insurance? Is the problem so prevalent they had to invent a new coverage for the liability? Anyone know of any other organizations that carry this insurance?

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 04:38 PM
I read this article earlier and I've gotta ask...WTF is sexual abuse insurance? Is the problem so prevalent they had to invent a new coverage for the liability? Anyone know of any other organizations that carry this insurance?

I was wondering the same thing. This is the first time i've herd of such a thing. That makes it sound like they know it's going on and are getting ready for it or something.

glockmail
07-14-2007, 08:26 PM

It really is. See what the queers and their enablers have done? It makes me sick. :puke:

Abbey Marie
07-14-2007, 08:27 PM
How does money compensate for sexual abuse? I'm just sayin'.

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 08:29 PM
How does money compensate for sexual abuse? I'm just sayin'.

It doesn't, but some people are money hungry and some I think it is the satisfaction to the Church owning up to it, then the healing process can begin.

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 08:31 PM
It really is. See what the queers and their enablers have done? It makes me sick. :puke:

I agree with you on that one. I also think a religious leader should get a tougher penalty as they are trusted a lot more, and they can do more damage then the average person because of that trust.

Kathianne
07-14-2007, 08:32 PM
It doesn't, but some people are money hungry and some I think it is the satisfaction to the Church owning up to it, then the healing process can begin.

I don't think there are $$$ enough for real victims. There are way too many of them, a shame that will not be erased from clergy in RC or other religions, (which are not openly spoken of).

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 08:35 PM
I don't think there are $$$ enough for real victims. There are way too many of them, a shame that will not be erased from clergy in RC or other religions, (which are not openly spoken of).

Well each victim are getting an average of 1.2-1.3 million, that is a lot. The Church is also admitting to it, which I think is a big deal to the victims.

nevadamedic
07-15-2007, 01:25 AM
Story Highlights

NEW: Plaintiffs' attorney confirms settlement reached
NEW: Los Angeles Catholic hierarchy to announce deal Sunday, lawyer says
About 500 plaintiffs to receive average of $1.2 million each
Spokeswoman for plaintiffs: No deal can make suffering stop

Well it has been confirmed, the Church is going to pay out $660,000.000 at $1.2 million dollars per person. I feel sorry for those victims, not only did they have a horrible and tragic thing happen to them, they may never feel comfortable going back to Church again because of the emotional damage that was done, this is just wrong.

07-15-2007, 04:39 AM
Well each victim are getting an average of 1.2-1.3 million, that is a lot. The Church is also admitting to it, which I think is a big deal to the victims.

i am wondering if there really are so many and maybe the church just isnt willing to say anything to stop getting litigated about ti.

nevadamedic
07-15-2007, 06:25 PM
i am wondering if there really are so many and maybe the church just isnt willing to say anything to stop getting litigated about ti.

Dunno?

Hugh Lincoln
07-15-2007, 06:50 PM

Congress.

nevadamedic
07-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Congress.

Huh?