nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Story Highlights

Police in UK charge an Indian doctor, Sabeel Ahmed, over UK bomb plot
Mohammed Haneef, also an Indian doctor, charged in Australia
Haneef is alleged to have provided a SIM card for use by suspected car bombers
Haneef's wife tells CNN the charges against her husband are "baseless"

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/07/14/terror.charges/index.html

Does anyone know what the penalty is if they are convicted? Are the British opposed to the Death Penalty? That's what anyone convicted of helping with a terrorist act should get IMO.

Gaffer
07-14-2007, 08:22 PM
No death penalty in in Britain. They could get 40 years or life but most likely something far less.

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 08:25 PM
No death penalty in in Britain. They could get 40 years or life but most likely something far less.

That suck's. England need's to be tougher on terrorists and criminals.

diuretic
07-15-2007, 05:06 AM
No death penalty here either.

This one with Haneef is a bit strange though.

"The specific allegation (against Haneef) involves recklessness rather than intention," said Australian Federal Police Commissioner Mick Keelty on Saturday.

"The allegation being that he was reckless about some of the support he provided to that group, in particular the provision of his SIM card for the use of the group."

I hope the AFP have got the goods on this bloke because the way I read that "recklessly" looks a lot like "without thinking" and if this is the sort of charge that has to go to a jury (max imp is 15 years so I think it would) then they're going to have to do well to convince a jury. Actually the suggestion that anyone can "recklessly" help a terrorist group is a bit dodgy. I mean, fair enough, if someone deliberately assists them they deserve to be banged up, but "recklessly"???