PDA

View Full Version : Imagine if...

Abbey Marie
02-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Candidates could only make anonymous platform statements, and we voted exclusively based on those? And they were required reading in order to vote. (Imagine if our populace was able to even read and comprehend what they said?)

Zero campaign funds needed. No newspaper attacks or endorsements. No attack ads. No advantage for smooth talkers. No rich puppet-masters moving campaigns forward. No identifiable race or gender.

No form over substance.

Could it work?

Kathianne
02-10-2016, 10:51 AM
Closer to pre-tv days. ;) No putting the genie back in the bottle.

Abbey Marie
02-10-2016, 10:56 AM

Could a wheelchair-bound FDR have a chance today?

Kathianne
02-10-2016, 11:01 AM
No.

Also, Wilson would have been out after the stroke, his wife would not have been able to 'carry on.'

red state
02-10-2016, 11:04 AM

Of course FDR could.....except for 'PROBABLY' being too "conservative" these days. The wheelchair thing is a non-issue (or would be) because, LIKE YESTERYEAR, it was a hidden truth to the public eye (for a lil' while anyway). The Dims are doing the same thing today by hiding truth, distorting facts and COVERING for their "guy/gal". The Benghazi emails are most certainly more damaging than a wheelchair could EVER be YET Hellary staggers on.

revelarts
02-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Candidates could only make anonymous platform statements, and we voted exclusively based on those? And they were required reading in order to vote? (Imagine if our populace was able to even read and comprehend what they said?) Zero campaign funds needed. No newspaper attacks or endorsements. No attack ads. No advantage for smooth talkers. No rich puppet-masters moving campaigns forward. No identifiable race or gender.
No form over substance.
Could it work?

It could work. But people are so ..personal... that they would not like it.

Especially if after they find that they voted for someone who's personality rubs them the wrong way.

And on the flip side, I still think we'd end up with bad officials because people on all sides still -want what they want-.
the right doesn't vote based on constitutional or christian values or justice for all. The left is more strait forward, "free stuff for you". So candidates that wrote and voted along principled lines wouldn't win for the right or left . But things like those folks that want the U.S. to invade countries for some imagined offense ( from the left or right) would vote for the guy that does that. People would still iD with certain groups and be happy about laws to help, defend or revenge them against others.

So i'm not so sure if it's the system or just the people's crummy views of what gov't is supposed to be about.

jimnyc
02-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Candidates could only make anonymous platform statements, and we voted exclusively based on those? And they were required reading in order to vote. (Imagine if our populace was able to even read and comprehend what they said?)

Zero campaign funds needed. No newspaper attacks or endorsements. No attack ads. No advantage for smooth talkers. No rich puppet-masters moving campaigns forward. No identifiable race or gender.

No form over substance.

Could it work?

Excellent idea! I have a feeling mine would stay the same. :) As soon as I read about attempts to keep out folks unless they can be vetted (or worse wording), or the folks who want to be the toughest on illegal immigration. :)

revelarts
02-10-2016, 11:09 AM

Could an Unattractive Abe Lincoln have a chance today?

Kathianne
02-10-2016, 11:10 AM

Especially if after they find that they voted for someone who's personally rubs them the wrong way.

And on the flip side, I still think we'd end up with bad officials because people on all sides still -want what they want-.
the right doesn't vote based on constitutional or christian values or justice for all. The left is more start forward, "free stuff for you". So candidates that wrote and voted along principled lines wouldn't win for the right or left . and But those folks that want the U.S. to invade countries for some imagined offense ( from the left or right) would vote for the guy that does that. People would still iD with certain groups and be happy about laws to protect, defend or revenge them against others.

So i'm not so sure if it's the system or just the people's crummy views of what gov't is supposed to be about.

I'm going with the bolded.

red state
02-10-2016, 11:13 AM

And could an outright murderer OR communist have had a chance back then.......they have more than a chance today. I have often wondered if a proven child molester would have a chance with the left leaning voters of today. I believe that has already been answered but I'll leave that answer to those who are much sharper than I and access to links to that subject/past news.

Perverts and anti-americans will vote for anyone, anything and for any reason that supports their anti-amercanism and perversions.

Abbey Marie
02-10-2016, 11:18 AM

Especially if after they find that they voted for someone who's personally rubs them the wrong way.

the right doesn't vote based on constitutional or christian values or justice for all. The left is more strait forward, "free stuff for you". So candidates that wrote and voted along principled lines wouldn't win for the right or left . But things like those folks that want the U.S. to invade countries for some imagined offense ( from the left or right) would vote for the guy that does that. People would still iD with certain groups and be happy about laws to protect, defend or revenge them against others.

People will always be selfish. It's the default state of the heart, IMO. But at least they will be voting based on their beliefs, and not how a candidate looks or speaks, or what backers they have.

For better or worse, that is what Democracy is. We just need to produce better humans, lol.

fj1200
02-10-2016, 02:21 PM
Candidates could only make anonymous platform statements, and we voted exclusively based on those?

People don't make POTUS decisions on anonymous platform statements. Leadership is not contained in one of those.

Black Diamond
02-10-2016, 02:52 PM

No.

Black Diamond
02-10-2016, 02:52 PM

Look at that face....

Black Diamond
02-10-2016, 02:53 PM

Those listening on the radio thought Nixon beat Kennedy. Those watching television thought the opposite.

Abbey Marie
02-10-2016, 03:06 PM
People don't make POTUS decisions on anonymous platform statements. Leadership is not contained in one of those.

What is it contained in?

Black Diamond
02-10-2016, 03:09 PM

No form over substance.

Could it work?
The no attack ads part might work. But the candidate has to be trusted. Personality will always be very important.

Black Diamond
02-10-2016, 03:10 PM
What is it contained in?

Personality. Ability to motivate and earn trust.

Black Diamond
02-10-2016, 03:12 PM
There will always be an element of selling yourself as opposed to what you believe in and what your policies are.

hjmick
02-10-2016, 05:53 PM
The Voice: Political Edition

Black Diamond
02-10-2016, 05:59 PM
the voice: Political edition

huuuuuuge

revelarts
02-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Look at that face....
https://earloftaint.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/abe-lincoln-color1.jpg?w=541

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RjMSPb1veYs/TdK7vUr5SmI/AAAAAAAAAdg/WSezSjOpjRU/s400/donald-trump-not-running-for-president-baltimore-sun.jpg

Perianne
02-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Lincoln was as ugly inside as he was on the outside. Hopefully the same can't be said about Trump.

fj1200
02-11-2016, 08:50 AM
What is it contained in?

Intangibles aren't really quantifiable. Maybe it's contained in the results that one has achieved.

Personality. Ability to motivate and earn trust.

Ayup.

Abbey Marie
02-11-2016, 09:42 AM
Intangibles aren't really quantifiable. Maybe it's contained in the results that one has achieved.

Ayup.

I agree that leadership counts, and personality is a manifestation of sorts of that intangible. I just (naively) wish there was a way to elect the actual best person for the job, as opposed to the one who happens to look attractive and say the right things on cue. (Think Obama).

You know, someone with those silly little character traits like integrity, intelligence, honesty, resoluteness, and thoughtfullness.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-11-2016, 09:50 AM
And could an outright murderer OR communist have had a chance back then.......they have more than a chance today. I have often wondered if a proven child molester would have a chance with the left leaning voters of today. I believe that has already been answered but I'll leave that answer to those who are much sharper than I and access to links to that subject/past news.

Perverts and anti-americans will vote for anyone, anything and for any reason that supports their anti-amercanism and perversions.

I have often wondered if a proven child molester would have a chance with the left leaning voters of today.

Yes,he/she would if they were a dem and were promoted and presented by the media and globalists as has been the obama. They may have to be black to win but the answer today is yes they'd have a chance.
And that truth reveals one of the reasons that the Clintons, the obama's and all of the top dems flourish IMHO.

Kathianne
02-11-2016, 09:54 AM
I agree that leadership counts, and personality is a manifestation of sorts of that intangible. I just (naively) wish there was a way to elect the actual best person for the job, as opposed to the one who happens to look attractive and say the right things on cue. (Think Obama).

You know, someone with those silly little character traits like integrity, intelligence, honesty, resoluteness, and thoughtfullness.

While I too wish there was a candidate that had those traits, along with mostly agreeing with my stands on issues most important to me, they seem pretty rare.

The one who appeared most developed in those traits, though I agreed with him on mostly nothing, was Jimmy Carter. He even had some generosity regarding putting his efforts into his own areas of concern. That to me is moral.

I don't know if those with lower ethics are called to politics or politics corrupts those called.

Perianne
02-11-2016, 09:58 AM
While I too wish there was a candidate that had those traits, along with mostly agreeing with my stands on issues most important to me, they seem pretty rare.

The one who appeared most developed in those traits, though I agreed with him on mostly nothing, was Jimmy Carter. He even had some generosity regarding putting his efforts into his own areas of concern. That to me is moral.

I don't know if those with lower ethics are called to politics or politics corrupts those called.

I have often wondered that same thing, Kathianne. I sometimes think that the go-along get-along mentality in politics overwhelms even the best of minds. Hardly anyone wants to be an outcast...except Ted Cruz, who seems to revel in it.

fj1200
02-11-2016, 11:21 AM

Wish in one hand... :poke: But in reality there's hardly a difference between most of the Republicans plans that would be put on paper, especially after being run through Congress, and it's really the personality and leadership abilities that is being analyzed and decided upon.

Abbey Marie
02-11-2016, 11:28 AM
Wish in one hand... :poke: But in reality there's hardly a difference between most of the Republicans plans that would be put on paper, especially after being run through Congress, and it's really the personality and leadership abilities that is being analyzed and decided upon.

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/136410204/dream_crusher_t.jpg?height=350&width=350

;)