PDA

View Full Version : OBL From the Grave?

Kathianne
07-14-2007, 06:42 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/07/14/bin.laden.video/index.html

(CNN) -- Osama bin Laden stresses the importance of martyrdom for Muslim causes in a videotape that purportedly contains a 50-second message from the al Qaeda leader.
art.binladen.file.afp.gi.jpg

Osama bin Laden is seen in a videotape aired by the al-Jazeera television station on October 7, 2001.

The 40-minute videotape, whose audio was being translated from Arabic by CNN, was intercepted before it was to appear on several Islamist Web sites known for carrying statements from al Qaeda and other radical groups.

The videotape was made in the last four weeks, but the clips appear to be old, said Octavia Nasr, CNN's senior editor for Arab affairs. There is no indication of where it was shot, and CNN cannot verify its authenticity.

"We're aware of the tape," a government official, who didn't want to be identified, told CNN. The official agreed that the tape's content is not necessarily new.

"There has not been, over time, a one-to-one correlation between release of a tape and any significant operation or attack afterward," the official added.

Bin Laden, with a bodyguard standing directly behind him, is looking down slightly in the video, appearing to address an audience below, which is unseen.

He says that the Prophet Mohammed wanted to be a martyr, and that is a worthy goal for every Muslim.

"So be alert, be wise and think. What is this status that the best of mankind wished for himself? He wished to be a martyr. He himself said, 'By him in whose hands my life is! I would love to attack and be martyred, then attack again and be martyred, then attack again and be martyred.'

"So this whole broad life is summarized by him who was inspired by God, the Lord of the heavens and earth, praised and exalted is he. This glorious prophet who was inspired by God summarized this entire life by these words. He wished upon himself this status. Happy is the one who was chosen by God as a martyr."

Bin Laden was one of several men appearing and speaking on the tape. They include Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al Qaeda in Iraq who was killed in a U.S. airstrike June 7, 2006. Video How big is al-Qaeda? »

The video was branded by As-Sahab Media, the company that traditionally handles al Qaeda communications to the public.

The environment shown is similar to that on releases made before the September 11, 2001, terror attacks, in which bin Laden is seen in the company of some of the hijackers, Nasr said.

Some of the backdrops also resemble those shown in videos when the U.S. attacks against the Taliban in Afghanistan began not long after the 9/11 attacks, she added.
advertisement

The last time a recording of bin Laden was made public it was an audiotape, with an Arabic transcript, released on June 30, 2006.

For several weeks, radical Islamist Web sites have been announcing that there would be "good news soon from Sheikh Osama bin Laden."

Gaffer
07-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Could be a signal. One that was planned long ago and they needed to use an old tape of him because he can't do it any more. Does sound like he's giving a go ahead to somebody. Hopefully the ones its meant for are either already caught or are about to be.

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Could be a signal. One that was planned long ago and they needed to use an old tape of him because he can't do it any more. Does sound like he's giving a go ahead to somebody. Hopefully the ones its meant for are either already caught or are about to be.

I have always thought maybe we caught him a while ago. The only reason i've thought that is if we announced we have him we would be getting hit on a regular basis until we released him. We also wouldn't want AQ to know we are getting information about them(if we could get any out of him, actually I think he would cave in a heartbeat if we caught him as he is a pansy and a coward). What do you think?

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 08:22 PM
I also think we have Saddam still. He had several body doubles that were surgically altered to look exactly like him to the minor detail. I am thinking we could have hanged one of them. Why would we give up someone with as much knowledge of our enemies as him? We could keep him and noone knows any different.

Gaffer
07-14-2007, 10:58 PM
I don't think that's the case. If we had OBL it would be shouted from the roof tops, if only to rub it in the faces of the liberals. And I don't think they would hang someone that looks like saddam. It was him. They had already got all the info from him they were going to get. They had years to do it.

nevadamedic
07-14-2007, 11:16 PM
I don't think that's the case. If we had OBL it would be shouted from the roof tops, if only to rub it in the faces of the liberals. And I don't think they would hang someone that looks like saddam. It was him. They had already got all the info from him they were going to get. They had years to do it.

I dunno. Especially about the part about Bin Laden, that would be suicide announcing that.

Gaffer
07-15-2007, 11:39 AM
I dunno. Especially about the part about Bin Laden, that would be suicide announcing that.

It wouldn't make any difference. Attacks are and will continue whether he's around or not. He's just a figurehead. The main reason they wouldn't want it known if he was caught would be to avoid a show trial that would last for years. Better to make it look like he was killed in an air strike, get all the info they can from him and quietly execute his dumb ass.