PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Big Chill - Incoming!

NightTrain
02-13-2016, 09:22 AM
The National Weather Service said Friday the coldest air mass of the winter may hit the Northeast this weekend and New Yorkers are being urged to take notice.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio warned residents to take “extreme precautions” over the weekend and heed cold-weather warnings. He said city workers would also bring people living on the street to shelters or hospitals.

A wind-chill advisory was in effect for New York City beginning Saturday afternoon and will continue until noon Sunday. With the actual temperatures falling as low as 4 degrees below, the weather service said the city could see wind chills of 18 degrees below to 24 degrees below. Wind gusts could reach up to 45 mph.

New York officials also canceled the Central Park Ice Festival because of the upcoming bitter temperatures, according to The Guardian. The festival is a free event featuring ice carving.

Much of the Northeast is expected to feel similar freezing temperatures. Most of Massachusetts will be under a wind-chill advisory as well from 4 p.m. Saturday until noon Sunday, according to The Boston Globe. The wind chill index is expected to fall below minutes-25 degrees for at least three hours.

The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency warned of “potentially life-threatening wind chills” and the possibility of water mains and pipes bursting due to the freeze. MEMA said the frozen temperatures could lead to down trees and power outages and urged residents to be prepared.

“Extremely low temperatures present challenges for our city,” Boston mayor Martin Walsh said. “I ask each and every single Boston resident to stay safe and to look after their neighbors.”

Connecticut residents are gearing up to battle the freezing temps during Valentine’s Day weekend too. Parts of the state are under similar wind chill advisories while emergency crews already were dealing with weather-related incidents on the roadways.

More : http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/13/northeast-braces-for-possible-life-threatening-cold-weather.html?intcmp=hpbt4

Help me out here, guys & girls : Is a little cold weather really that concerning or is this media hype on a slow news day?

From what Sharon observed in NC a few weeks ago, it's pure chaos when a small storm rolls through. That last blizzard wouldn't have even closed the schools here, and this weather ( -4 ?? ) would not even be mentioned in conversation, let alone news and statements. That's just typical weather, and no one dies, and the earth continues to spin.

Just seems to me that having politicians making panicky statements and news blasting about this OMG COLD SNAP!!! just serves to worry people.

Until it gets -40 and colder, there's really no reason to behave any differently, and then you just make sure that you have your cold weather gear with you in your truck at all times (which you should have with you anyway in winter). In Fairbanks in '99, I was still going to work - along with everyone else - at minus 65. The only difference in behavior is that I didn't shut my truck off for a week. I think I got like 50 miles out of a tank of gas, but it was the best money I've ever spent! :laugh:

What's the deal, you East Coasties? :poke:

If I hear any more news reports like this, I'm going to ship you guys down a case of Snickers!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-13-2016, 10:18 AM
More : http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/13/northeast-braces-for-possible-life-threatening-cold-weather.html?intcmp=hpbt4

Help me out here, guys & girls : Is a little cold weather really that concerning or is this media hype on a slow news day?

From what Sharon observed in NC a few weeks ago, it's pure chaos when a small storm rolls through. That last blizzard wouldn't have even closed the schools here, and this weather ( -4 ?? ) would not even be mentioned in conversation, let alone news and statements. That's just typical weather, and no one dies, and the earth continues to spin.

Just seems to me that having politicians making panicky statements and news blasting about this OMG COLD SNAP!!! just serves to worry people.

Until it gets -40 and colder, there's really no reason to behave any differently, and then you just make sure that you have your cold weather gear with you in your truck at all times (which you should have with you anyway in winter). In Fairbanks in '99, I was still going to work - along with everyone else - at minus 65. The only difference in behavior is that I didn't shut my truck off for a week. I think I got like 50 miles out of a tank of gas, but it was the best money I've ever spent! :laugh:

If I hear any more news reports like this, I'm going to ship you guys down a case of Snickers!

Simply a matter of acclimation my friend. We Southern boys by and large despise cold weather.
I remember back in my childhood we had some brutal winters (the sixties) here. We poor country-folk survived with far less aggravation than the city slickers because we'd been raised going though cold winters wearing on light Levi jackets not heavy coats. We boys survived those brutal winters still wearing only light Levi jackets(sisters all were bought heavy coats). Which damn sure was not any fun but did not kill any of us.

Imagine, walking about three hundred yards down a muddy road to get to the gravel road, stand there anywhere from 5 to 35 minutes in sub zero weather wearing only Levi jackets waiting on a school bus. And most often wearing only a short sleeve summer shirt underneath the jackets.
Hell, they'd call that child abuse these days methinks.
Thing is , it taught us what we could endure and how to use our minds and not give up because things are hard. -Tyr

Drummond
02-13-2016, 10:29 AM

I know that UK weather can't be fairly compared to most of America, but even so, I was struck by your 'minus 40' comment ! I'm not aware that the UK has ever known such a cold temperature since records began.

We did have one paralysing winter ... 1962-63. Except for a very brief thawing spell .. which soon ended .. the UK was locked in seemingly 'permanent' snow and frozen weather, during that winter. We survived it, as a nation ... but if a more recent BBC documentary is to be believed, we only struggled through it all by the skin of our teeth. I believe the report said that just another couple of weeks' worth would've seen social order seriously break down.

For what it's worth, I believe that the 'quality' of coldness here is different. I recall standing around in Hartford, Connecticut, near its train station entrance (during one of my America-visiting trips), with several inches of snow on the ground, and thinking I actually felt warm !! Our cold winters have a biting moisture-laden quality to them (because we're surrounded by water and never too far from it) that makes temperatures seem more penetratingly colder .. something that Hartford didn't share.

... anyway ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1962%E2%80%9363_in_the_United_Kingdom

January 1963 was the coldest month of the twentieth century, indeed the coldest since January 1814, with an average temperature of −2.1 °C (28.2 °F).[3] Much of England and Wales was snow-covered throughout the month. The country started to freeze solid, with temperatures as low as −19.4 °C (−2.9 °F) at Achany in Sutherland on the 11th. Freezing fog was a hazard for most of the country.

In January 1963 the sea froze for 1 mile (1.6 km) out from shore at Herne Bay, Kent. The sea also froze inshore in many places, removing many British inland waterbirds’ usual last resort of finding food in estuaries and shallow sea. The sea froze 4 miles out to sea from Dunkirk, and BBC television news expressed a fear that the Strait of Dover would freeze across. The upper reaches of the River Thames also froze over, though it did not freeze in Central London, partly due to the hot effluent from two thermal power stations, Battersea and Bankside: the removal of the old multi-arched London Bridge, which obstructed the river’s free flow, and the river embankments, made the river less likely to freeze in London than in earlier times (see River Thames frost fairs). On 20 January 283 workers had to be rescued by RAF helicopters from Fylingdales, where they had been snowbound for several days. The ice was thick enough in some places that people were skating on it, and on 22 January a car was driven across the frozen Thames at Oxford. Icicles hung from many roof gutterings; some of these were as long as a metre (3 feet, 3 inches).

NightTrain
02-13-2016, 10:51 AM
I know that what temp you're acclimated to makes all the difference. But no one is acclimated to -40 or -65... you just put on the proper gear and move along. For about $400 you can outfit yourself to be comfortable in any kind of extreme weather.

Been there, Tyr. But those Levi jackets weren't so bad about a couple weeks of that, were they? :laugh: It's amazing how fast your body will adapt to cold. We run around in light jackets and Nikes like that all the time here, comfortably. But the cold weather gear is never far away... the silly ones soon learn a harsh lesson about hypothermia. Mine was once down to 91 degrees after going in the water after a snowmachine I sunk through the ice, and I'll never forget that terrible feeling.

You're right though, Drummond, humidity makes a huge difference. It's very dry here in AK, even though I'm right next to Cook Inlet. The difference between 0 degrees in Wisconsin and 0 in Alaska is startling - the Wisconsin 0 is much, much colder and it bites harder. I would estimate that it feels roughly 20 degrees colder - ie : Wisconsin zero feels like -20 here.

I guess I just am easily amused at the reactions of non-extreme weather.

And I'm always game for calling Jim a sissy in a roundabout sort of way! It's just how I roll.

jimnyc
02-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Yeps, down into the negatives tonight! I like the cold weather, to an extent, hence my air running in my room all year round! But that's keeps it in the 60's, not -4!! Big storms and real cold weather and such - first thing I do is get myself outside since everyone else is inside. Lots of fun to be had, even in the snow. Yes, most northeast folks are ninnies! But if you think that's bad, try a lot of the west coast, like Cali, if it snowed by them we may see mass suicides!

NightTrain
02-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Yeps, down into the negatives tonight! I like the cold weather, to an extent, hence my air running in my room all year round! But that's keeps it in the 60's, not -4!! Big storms and real cold weather and such - first thing I do is get myself outside since everyone else is inside. Lots of fun to be had, even in the snow. Yes, most northeast folks are ninnies! But if you think that's bad, try a lot of the west coast, like Cali, if it snowed by them we may see mass suicides!

If you want some high entertainment, check out the knuckleheads in Seattle dealing with 1" - 2" of snow. Youtube is loaded with Seattle Shenanigans.

Drummond
02-13-2016, 02:02 PM
I'll never forget the Canadian we had in our workplace (in London) once. She was amazed at how a single night's snowfall could see entire rail lines knocked out of action. She told us that Canada had far worse extremes of temperature, and always coped well, routinely.

Abbey Marie
02-13-2016, 03:59 PM
Well, all I can say is the couple we were having over for dinner tonight cancelled because of the cold weather.

WiccanLiberal
02-13-2016, 06:44 PM
Welp, gotta say I am staying inside as much as possible. I went out to pick up a prescription this morning and needed extra layers under my heavy suede and faux fur coat. The wind even cuts through that monster and that coat is HEAVY. Tomorrow groceries are coming. I might consider going out after to get my hair cut but not really all that enthusiastic.

Kathianne
02-13-2016, 09:06 PM
It seems to me that the people and the regions have the equipment they need for their 'average weather.' Thus I'm used to driving in snow with people that also are used to doing so. With that said, the main drags are usually salted prior to significant snows and plowed throughout snowstorms, with the exception of those that have so much wind/blizzard snowfall, that there's no point until it lessens. The only time I can think of an actual 'standstill' was the snowfall of '67.

In AZ I still drive good in snow, but there is no plowing, salting, sand. They just freak. LOL! People do NOT know how to drive in snow around here. I leave huge amounts of space between those ahead and will not stay 'even' with anyone-I'd rather slow down than deal with what might happen.

jimnyc
02-14-2016, 07:35 AM
Holy bejeezus batman!! I let my little idiot of a dog outside and nearly froze to death in the few seconds it took to open the door. Then, he decides TODAY he will stay outside and make me get him in here. With slippers on only. After I couldn't feel anything up to my kneecaps, I got my second cup of coffee and got to my cell to see the temps. It's -5 right now. I know that ain't much for the abominable snowman member we have that lives in Alaska, but that shit HURTS when you go out there! :laugh:

NightTrain
02-14-2016, 07:43 AM
Holy bejeezus batman!! I let my little idiot of a dog outside and nearly froze to death in the few seconds it took to open the door. Then, he decides TODAY he will stay outside and make me get him in here. With slippers on only. After I couldn't feel anything up to my kneecaps, I got my second cup of coffee and got to my cell to see the temps. It's -5 right now. I know that ain't much for the abominable snowman member we have that lives in Alaska, but that shit HURTS when you go out there! :laugh:

You're not supposed to go out in your robe and fuzzy bunny slippers! You gotta get those Carhartts and boots on first! :coffee:

jimnyc
02-14-2016, 07:46 AM
You're not supposed to go out in your robe and fuzzy bunny slippers! You gotta get those Carhartts and boots on first! :coffee:

Pajama bottoms, t shirt, slippers and a robe. Feels good in my room, not as much out in -5 weather! I have lined carhartts and they rock!! Then I have water proof awesome boots, I have thermal socks, then I have thermal "Hot Chilly's" pants and shirt for under my clothes, they rock too!! I also have the thickets lined sweatshirt in the world. Usually don't need anything in addition. But below zero I may need my jacket on top of it. :)

NightTrain
02-14-2016, 08:07 AM
Pajama bottoms, t shirt, slippers and a robe. Feels good in my room, not as much out in -5 weather! I have lined carhartts and they rock!! Then I have water proof awesome boots, I have thermal socks, then I have thermal "Hot Chilly's" pants and shirt for under my clothes, they rock too!! I also have the thickets lined sweatshirt in the world. Usually don't need anything in addition. But below zero I may need my jacket on top of it. :)

That sounds pretty solid.

These are the boots I wear for extreme cold :

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8399&stc=1

Supposedly rated to -148 F, but that's a ridiculous number. Mine have a different sole pattern though, they're a bunch of spikes that give awesome traction.

jimnyc
02-14-2016, 08:20 AM
Those look like they're for some serious weather! I have Bates for regular weather. But when REAL cold or snow, I have a pair of lined Timberland's. I also have a pair of slippers for "my ass don't go outside below zero!"

When I was a kid, I can't tell you how many times I would be out in the snow with sneakers on and then freeze my toes. Or worse, fall in the creek and have a long walk home! When I was a kid I never dressed appropriately. Everything was a pair of jeans and sneaker. Sometimes I wore these ugly waterproof green boots. But I avoided them because they were ugly, and paid the price. :)

NightTrain
02-14-2016, 09:12 AM
Those look like they're for some serious weather! I have Bates for regular weather. But when REAL cold or snow, I have a pair of lined Timberland's. I also have a pair of slippers for "my ass don't go outside below zero!"

When I was a kid, I can't tell you how many times I would be out in the snow with sneakers on and then freeze my toes. Or worse, fall in the creek and have a long walk home! When I was a kid I never dressed appropriately. Everything was a pair of jeans and sneaker. Sometimes I wore these ugly waterproof green boots. But I avoided them because they were ugly, and paid the price. :)

Funny thing about kids... looking cool is hands down more important than staying warm. I looked out the living room window a couple weeks ago to see my 12 year old son, Tanner, standing at the bus stop shivering in a T-shirt, jeans and a pair of nikes at 10 degrees. I yelled at him to get back in here and get dressed... the little knucklehead.

There must be a girl on the bus he's sweet on.

About the only positive thing about those hormones kicking in is the showering & cleanliness factor... he figured out that little girls like clean & nice smelling little boys. He went from me having to make him take a shower last year to squeaky clean at all times now... my hot water heater is getting a good workout with all those showers he takes.

Sharon got him one of those cans of Axe body spray. Had to take that away from him, he stunk up the whole house in a great cloud of chemicals. If a little is good, overkill is great, right? Come to Butthead.

jimnyc
02-14-2016, 10:35 AM
Funny thing about kids... looking cool is hands down more important than staying warm. I looked out the living room window a couple weeks ago to see my 12 year old son, Tanner, standing at the bus stop shivering in a T-shirt, jeans and a pair of nikes at 10 degrees. I yelled at him to get back in here and get dressed... the little knucklehead.

There must be a girl on the bus he's sweet on.

About the only positive thing about those hormones kicking in is the showering & cleanliness factor... he figured out that little girls like clean & nice smelling little boys. He went from me having to make him take a shower last year to squeaky clean at all times now... my hot water heater is getting a good workout with all those showers he takes.

Sharon got him one of those cans of Axe body spray. Had to take that away from him, he stunk up the whole house in a great cloud of chemicals. If a little is good, overkill is great, right? Come to Butthead.

That's too funny, same thing here. The kid avoided soap and water like he would catch the plague from it. Now, it's like 4 showers per day, he wants new cologne, suddenly is concerned about his clothing also is concerned about acne and such.

Abbey Marie
02-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Makes one wonder what civilization would be like without us women, lol.

jimnyc
02-14-2016, 11:33 AM

No boobies? No sex?

http://i.imgur.com/95EapXZ.png

Black Diamond
02-14-2016, 11:41 AM

Frustrating.....

Abbey Marie
02-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Sounds like deodorant sales would plummet!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-14-2016, 12:59 PM

Tragically, it would be a very piss-poor , epically miserable and quite savage jungle.
Perish the thought(!), gives me shudders just pondering it long enough to write this quick reply!

If a man picks a VERY GOOD WIFE , he has just chosen a better half-- thus improved himself by association IMHO.
-A blessing so many never see or have the wisdom to learn IMHO.. Tyr

Gunny
02-16-2016, 03:41 PM

I heard about that. Was -1 and I was sitting outside in shorts n sandals on the patio. :)