PDA

View Full Version : Sniper took down a Taliban fighter from more than a mile away

jimnyc
02-14-2016, 04:52 PM
Gotta read the rest at the link, good story. This guys a hell of a shot!! :clap:

-----

In November 2009, British sniper Sgt. Craig Harrison recorded the longest confirmed kill ever recorded — 2,705 yards, or a little over 1 ¹/₂ miles. In this excerpt from his new memoir, “The Longest Kill,” Harrison describes the scene: From high ground, he was to protect a patrol of Yorkshire Regiment troops (“Yorks”) and the Afghan National Army in southern Afghanistan. His nemesis: A Taliban “dicker,” or spotter, who was tipping off the enemy.

As I scanned through my binos, I could see the Yorks’ patrol base. I could also see the large three-peaked hill, almost two miles away, that they would be patrolling toward.

“Three Titted Hill,” as it was known in the Army, was covered in compounds and Taliban rat runs. They could sneak through this area with impunity and hit the patrol bases whenever they wanted. The Yorks and the ANA were going to try to clear this area.

A glint off in the distance caught my eye. The old “sniper sense” started to kick in.

My spotter Cliff and I trotted about 20 yards to our front and crouched behind an old wall. It was neck height; perfect for me to balance the rifle on. The downside was that the mud wall was in pretty bad shape and starting to crumble.

I put my rifle by my feet and pulled out my map, working out a hasty range card. Then I rummaged in the top of my daysack and pulled out my wind markers: tent pegs with para cord hanging off them. I put two out, one on either side of me.

I needed to find the dicker. He was the Taliban’s eyes and ears, and without him they were headless. It was almost 1030 hours now and the sun was shining. There was a glint off in the distance, from the spot where I’d seen movement before.

It was a long way off, almost at the base of Three Titted Hill.

Movement caught my eye again in the same place, just to the left of a compound. I focused my scope in and scanned the area. Another glint. Finally, I could see a bearded, turbaned man. The glint was coming from the antenna of the radio he was holding.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/14/i-shot-someone-from-1-12-miles-away-and-it-took-6-seconds-to-learn-if-i-hit-him/