PDA

View Full Version : Race in perspective

WiccanLiberal
02-15-2016, 08:59 PM
I am disturbed by the tenor of some posted opinions here. If some people take offense at what I am about to say, my intent is not to offend. But I am tired of seeing posts that put forward the idea that people of differing color or origins are anything other than members of THE HUMAN RACE. The extremes of human appearance are staggering but the similarities are more so. And I may be 'better' than someone else but that has little to do with so-called race and more with individual gifts. I am smarter than most but less creative. My life is worth exactly the same as any other human's on this planet, or should be. If you need a blood transfusion or an organ transplant, I doubt whether you would be willing to turn down a donor because their skin was a different color or their eyes shaped differently. Our DNA is remarkably consistent. ""If you ask what percentage of your genes is reflected in your external appearance, the basis by which we talk about race, the answer seems to be in the range of .01 percent," said Dr.Harold P. Freeman, the chief executive, president and director of surgery at North General Hospital in Manhattan, who has studied the issue of biology and race. "This is a very, very minimal reflection of your genetic makeup." (https://partners.nytimes.com/library/national/science/082200sci-genetics-race.html)
I have no intention of getting into a debate on this. I am presenting my thoughts which are based on both my own experience and my investigating the science of the matter. The idea of judging a person by their surface appearance is patently ludicrous. You want to judge on the social constructs they create - fine. If you don't find someone's appearance attractive based on the standards you were raised and indoctrinated to appreciate as attractive, fine also. But to suggest that a person doesn't rate the same designation of personhood as yourself because of that different appearance is a moral wrong.