PDA

View Full Version : Is Trump a democrat or a Republican?

Black Diamond
02-16-2016, 06:20 PM
I say he is neither..

Gunny
02-16-2016, 06:37 PM
I say he is neither..

He's a man who has always gotten his way and will obviously do anything to try and get it. This would just be one more feather in his hat. I'd call him an exploitative opportunist more than anything else.

Abbey Marie
02-16-2016, 07:01 PM
I suppose you'd have to first define the terms. Even on this board, we have different types of Republicans. Personally, I doubt he's very Republican on social issues, if by Republican we mean Conservative.

Kathianne
02-16-2016, 07:16 PM
I suppose you'd have to first define the terms. Even on this board, we have different types of Republicans. Personally, I doubt he's very Republican on social issues, if by Republican we mean Conservative.

For quite awhile now, I have problems with calling myself 'Republican' for the simple reason there are so many that do, that I don't relate to. Certainly holds true for the GOP leadership. I've pretty much settled for conservative with libertarian leanings.

I'm for our federated system as set up by the Founders. I believe in checks and balances between branches, not the acquiescence of power from one to another. I abhor regulations and bureaucracies-unless proven needed and efficient. I pull for the little guy, but am not after taking down corporations. With that in mind, I favor prosecution of wrong doers over regulations on all, enriching the government-while increasing taxes and making all of us poorer. Capitalism is what raises our boats, not government.

Socially I'm for removing roadblocks of unfairness, not blocking others instead. I'm for education, by actually practicing methods that work, not mandated programs that are put together by elites in universities and textbook companies. I don't believe that 'money is the source of poor education results-it's what is not being taught. I will stand up for anyone's freedoms that are threatened, though recognize that at times I find the behavior wrong on the face of it.

Abbey Marie
02-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Kath, after reading that, I am going make up a label and apply it to you- hope you don't mind!

"Practical Moderate Conservative" :cool:

gabosaurus
02-16-2016, 08:30 PM
I say he is neither..

I totally agree with you. Did you see Trump's recent veiled threat to run as a third-party candidate because he feels the GOP establishment has mistreated him?
I personally feel that Trump is about as mentally stable as Kanye West.

Gunny
02-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Kath, after reading that, I am going make up a label and apply it to you- hope you don't mind!

"Practical Moderate Conservative" :cool:

Feel free to include me on that list. The GOP is a joke. The inmates run the asylum. I for one am insulted when I get labeled a Republican. I still have MY b*lls.

tailfins
02-16-2016, 11:57 PM
Feel free to include me on that list. The GOP is a joke. The inmates run the asylum. I for one am insulted when I get labeled a Republican. I still have MY b*lls.

I have been a loyal Republican my whole voting life and intend to remain one. I will do what I can to build the party.

darin
02-17-2016, 01:51 AM
As long as he's a fiscal conservative and social libertarian I'm coo' either way.

jimnyc
02-17-2016, 06:33 AM
I say he is neither..

I say he is neither too. I think the typical parties have been failing those who vote for them, and the republican party has changed lately anyway.

PixieStix
02-17-2016, 07:00 AM
We need a new party..... this 2 party system only breeds corruption, lies and betrayal. I have always loathed labels. So Trump being labeled a republican or a democrat doesn't concern me. My concern is does he love America. Unlike Obama and others he wants to get back to where we should be, instead of progressing into the 15 century. He doesn't want to "fundamentally change America".

My Mom and Dad were democrats, ( they have always been pretty good Americans)... and they made me think I was born a dem :laugh: I showed them by golly. As soon as I turned 18 I registered as a republican. I really liked Ronald Reagan :thumb:

PixieStix
02-17-2016, 07:05 AM
I have watched the republican party go further and further to the left in their actions. But of course what they say is different. I think in some circles they call that lying. Or at the very least ignoring their "conservative values"

Drummond
02-17-2016, 07:38 AM
We need a new party..... this 2 party system only breeds corruption, lies and betrayal. I have always loathed labels. So Trump being labeled a republican or a democrat doesn't concern me. My concern is does he love America. Unlike Obama and others he wants to get back to where we should be, instead of progressing into the 15 century. He doesn't want to "fundamentally change America".

My Mom and Dad were democrats, ( they have always been pretty good Americans)... and they made me think I was born a dem :laugh: I showed them by golly. As soon as I turned 18 I registered as a republican. I really liked Ronald Reagan :thumb:

The one problem I've got with this is that any new party will pull votes towards it, and away from the Republican Party ... and the total voting for 'Conservative' Parties will be split, this giving the Democrats a clear run to future Presidencies and Government. No, what's really needed is a reform of the Republican Party .. but preferably not in an election year, as infighting could make them unattractive to vote for (our Labour Party marginalised itself in precisely that way, becoming unelectable, for over a decade, back in the 1980's).

Gunny
02-17-2016, 08:55 AM
The one problem I've got with this is that any new party will pull votes towards it, and away from the Republican Party ... and the total voting for 'Conservative' Parties will be split, this giving the Democrats a clear run to future Presidencies and Government. No, what's really needed is a reform of the Republican Party .. but preferably not in an election year, as infighting could make them unattractive to vote for (our Labour Party marginalised itself in precisely that way, becoming unelectable, for over a decade, back in the 1980's).

Why would you assume that is? Could be the GOP no longer represents its constituents. Wonder how many more elections we have to lose before they figure that out.

Between elections, no one cares. It's business as usual. Heaven forbid someone come up with a long-term, grass roots strategy. That would be almost like thinking.

Kathianne
02-17-2016, 08:59 AM
Well I guess I was right 6 months ago about the party splitting. I didn't see the same with the Dems, but looks like they wanted some too!

Gunny
02-17-2016, 09:07 AM
Well I guess I was right 6 months ago about the party splitting. I didn't see the same with the Dems, but looks like they wanted some too!

I take little consolation in being right 6 months ago. It's too predictable and some people just won't listen.

Kathianne
02-17-2016, 09:11 AM
I take little consolation in being right 6 months ago. It's too predictable and some people just won't listen.

Unless something weird happens, (nearly a given under the circumstances), looking like the contest could or most certainly will be Trump v Sanders. To the majority, I guess that would be overwhelming majority of the US, I hope wishes aren't followed by repentance. 4 bad years following the last 8 would likely be a bridge too far.

Gunny
02-17-2016, 09:13 AM
Unless something weird happens, (nearly a given under the circumstances), looking like the contest could or most certainly will be Trump v Sanders. To the majority, I guess that would be overwhelming majority of the US, I hope wishes aren't followed by repentance. 4 bad years following the last 8 would likely be a bridge too far.

I don't think Sanders is going to beat Hillary. I DO think either can beat Trump.

Kathianne
02-17-2016, 09:18 AM
I don't think Sanders is going to beat Hillary. I DO think either can beat Trump.

If Loretta Lynch hypothetically should be nominated to SCOTUS, nearly certain that she'd first have to clear the way for FBI to go forward with what they have on email investigation. It does seem what the youngest voters are seeing as the problem with Hillary and honesty. Lynch is the obstacle from full investigation.

Gunny
02-17-2016, 09:22 AM
If Loretta Lynch hypothetically should be nominated to SCOTUS, nearly certain that she'd first have to clear the way for FBI to go forward with what they have on email investigation. It does seem what the youngest voters are seeing as the problem with Hillary and honesty. Lynch is the obstacle from full investigation.

If Loretta Lynch gets on the Supreme Court there are a lot of Republicans that're going to need day jobs. The Senate can block Obama. THIS would be the time.

Same with the email thing. Congress has the authority to censure to Clinton. They don't need Lynch. That's why we have 3 branches of government.

Kathianne
02-17-2016, 09:28 AM
If Loretta Lynch gets on the Supreme Court there are a lot of Republicans that're going to need day jobs. The Senate can block Obama. THIS would be the time.

Same with the email thing. Congress has the authority to censure to Clinton. They don't need Lynch. That's why we have 3 branches of government.

In order to get indictments, Lynch has to sign off. She has so far refused. There's every indication that the FBI wants indictments, special prosecutor, and grand jury.

Kathianne
02-17-2016, 09:36 AM
If Obama wants to try and 'get an appointment' here lies a possible card for enticement. Would it work? It certainly would mess up DNC's desires:

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/268456-pressure-on-lynch-to-step-aside-in-clinton-email-probe

Gunny
02-17-2016, 09:49 AM
In order to get indictments, Lynch has to sign off. She has so far refused. There's every indication that the FBI wants indictments, special prosecutor, and grand jury.

That's for criminal proceedings. This Obama cronyism is absurd. Tammany Hall would be proud.

Kathianne
02-17-2016, 09:54 AM
That's for criminal proceedings. This Obama cronyism is absurd. Tammany Hall would be proud.

Yeah, that is criminal proceeding for criminal behaviors.

Gunny
02-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Yeah, that is criminal proceeding for criminal behaviors.

Right. But Congress can go after her ethics via administrative proceedings. Don't get me wrong. She should be in jail, and if was any other mere mortal they would be. She's a liar. Classified info starts out classified due to subject matter, not just markings on the paper. It isn't later classified.

What's the point to classifying something already made public? She's playing off the ignorance of the general population.

I just see Bernie fizzling out.

Kathianne
02-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Right. But Congress can go after her ethics via administrative proceedings. Don't get me wrong. She should be in jail, and if was any other mere mortal they would be. She's a liar. Classified info starts out classified due to subject matter, not just markings on the paper. It isn't later classified.

What's the point to classifying something already made public? She's playing off the ignorance of the general population.

I just see Bernie fizzling out.

Many said the same about Trump. They are both gaining as we speak. If they were 'opposites' I'd almost think it was a good thing. But they aren't. It's not.

Gunny
02-17-2016, 10:30 AM
Many said the same about Trump. They are both gaining as we speak. If they were 'opposites' I'd almost think it was a good thing. But they aren't. It's not.

Trump won't fizzle out. He's buying this out of his own pocket. He's waved this "I'll run 3rd party" crap around for 9 months. He put that ace up his sleeve in front of everyone. Everyone knows it's there. He'll just do more damage than he already has if he does. He should have been stopped cold 9 months ago as not representing the GOP and left to disrupt debating himself.

The excited folks are always tossing out poll numbers; which, frankly mean nothing to me. He's got 30+% of the vote on the right. Well, skippy, that dog don't hunt. His supporters assume the fallout from other candidates will garner him those votes. I doubt he gets half.

And while I don't agree with staying home and not voting, I can certainly understand why people do it. I resent having someone force fed down my throat that doesn't represent me under the threat of the Dems will win if you don't.

The Dems are going to win even if I do and Trump has been quite instrumental in ensuring that happens.

Kathianne
02-17-2016, 11:05 AM
His numbers just keep climbing, as do Sanders...

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/269592-seven-times-pundits-predicted-donald-trumps-downfall

Gunny
02-17-2016, 11:10 AM
His numbers just keep climbing, as do Sanders...

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/269592-seven-times-pundits-predicted-donald-trumps-downfall

It's a lose-lose deal, IMO. A rude, loud-mouth bully or a commie. Oh yea! :rolleyes:

The only distinction I can make between the two is Sanders is un-American to me. Otherwise, I see nothing good from either.

Kathianne
02-17-2016, 11:59 AM

Another example of why I fear disappointment for the country, 'changes' that aren't':

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/16/draft-dodger-trump-said-sleeping-around-was-my-personal-vietnam.html