PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

Perianne
02-17-2016, 09:19 AM
I was selected to have jury duty this month. It's the 17th and I haven't had to sit on a jury yet! Crossing fingers in hope that I don't.

Jeff
02-17-2016, 09:20 AM
I was selected to have jury duty this month. It's the 17th and I haven't had to sit on a jury yet! Crossing fingers in hope that I don't.

Good Luck

Gunny
02-17-2016, 09:23 AM

Just mention jury nullification around the screeners. You won't be there long.:laugh:

darin
02-17-2016, 09:25 AM
I've not been called. I'd like to.

Gunny
02-17-2016, 09:36 AM
I've not been called. I'd like to.

I doubt it. You sit in a big room all day with 200 other potential jurors and you may or may not be called. If you are called, they get about 40 at a time and take you down to the courtroom for a long boring process of you being weeded out by the prosecutor and defense attorney.

It is like BEYOND boring.

NightTrain
02-17-2016, 09:37 AM
My brothers and I had a run-in with a dirty cop a few years ago. He was actually Fish & Game, but those are the same thing as a Trooper up here. He outright lied about circumstances involving writing my brother a ticket, and it was thrown out of court.

It wasn't long after that incident that I was selected to pull jury duty. On the questionaire that you fill out, one of the questions was 'Do you think cops are more likely to lie than the general public?'. Still a bit pissed about that game warden, I answered yes.

I was excused - the DA doesn't want a juror on his jury with that kind of attitude. I was good with his decision.

Gunny
02-17-2016, 10:04 AM
My brothers and I had a run-in with a dirty cop a few years ago. He was actually Fish & Game, but those are the same thing as a Trooper up here. He outright lied about circumstances involving writing my brother a ticket, and it was thrown out of court.

It wasn't long after that incident that I was selected to pull jury duty. On the questionaire that you fill out, one of the questions was 'Do you think cops are more likely to lie than the general public?'. Still a bit pissed about that game warden, I answered yes.

I was excused - the DA doesn't want a juror on his jury with that kind of attitude. I was good with his decision.

They call it your "civic duty". "Is there any reason any of you can't spend up to a couple of weeks on this duty?" Yeah -- mortgage, electric, water, truck payment, groceries. :laugh: Idiots. Paying property taxes alone in San Antonio is more than enough to cover my civic duty.

Black Diamond
02-17-2016, 10:07 AM
Wear an article of clothing containing the Confederate flag. Problem solved.

indago
02-17-2016, 10:10 AM

It is important that society participate as jurors when called upon. In the "old days", when a jury was required, the judge would order the sheriff to go out of the courtroom and into the street and tag twelve individuals off the street and bring them into the courtroom to hear a case and render their verdict. But you gave the correct answer. I would have given the same answer.

Gunny
02-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Wear an article of clothing containing the Confederate flag. Problem solved.

You too, huh? Starched and creased Wranglers, hand tooled belt, big buckle, Sunday go to meetin' boots and a pearl snap shirt. And there's NOTHING improper about that in Texas. :thumb:

NightTrain
02-17-2016, 10:15 AM
They call it your "civic duty". "Is there any reason any of you can't spend up to a couple of weeks on this duty?" Yeah -- mortgage, electric, water, truck payment, groceries. :laugh: Idiots. Paying property taxes alone in San Antonio is more than enough to cover my civic duty.

I don't know how things are down there, but here you get a whopping $25 per day.

How many jurors lost their house during the OJ trial? Didn't that travesty stretch out for over a year?

Perianne
02-17-2016, 05:18 PM
Yipee! I am not needed for tomorrow.

namvet
02-17-2016, 05:46 PM
usually if your not selected for a case in 3 days home ya go

Gunny
02-17-2016, 06:42 PM
I don't know how things are down there, but here you get a whopping $25 per day.

How many jurors lost their house during the OJ trial? Didn't that travesty stretch out for over a year?

$6 in SA. Parking is $7.

Perianne
02-17-2016, 06:57 PM
$12.50 per day here, with reduced parking of only one dollar!

Perianne
02-18-2016, 09:39 PM
Yipee! I am not needed for tomorrow.

Nor tomorrow. Only six more possible days.

Gunny
02-19-2016, 10:48 AM
usually if your not selected for a case in 3 days home ya go

Nor tomorrow. Only six more possible days.

Weird. It's a one-day deal here unless you're selected.

gabosaurus
02-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Parking is free for jurors at the court nearest to me. There is no compensation for the first day and $15 per day after that.

My question is -- if you are ever put on trial for an offense, do you want a disinterested jury that cares more about going home than your case?
The only jury I have ever been on, a guy was on trial for some kind of fight. He appeared to be fairly conservative. The jury panel was ... not. :eek:

CSM
02-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Parking is free for jurors at the court nearest to me. There is no compensation for the first day and $15 per day after that.

My question is -- if you are ever put on trial for an offense, do you want a disinterested jury that cares more about going home than your case?
The only jury I have ever been on, a guy was on trial for some kind of fight. He appeared to be fairly conservative. The jury panel was ... not. :eek:

and that is why the US Justice system is anything but "just"....

namvet
02-19-2016, 12:04 PM

by wed if your not selected here its to late to start a case. i served on 3 or 4 jury's including a foreman.

Gunny
02-19-2016, 12:58 PM

Then why keep the ones around that don't want to be there?

Most conservatives are at work, not trying to mind everyone else's business.

Abbey Marie
02-19-2016, 01:07 PM

Same here. I really don't mind it. I've made it as far as the courtroom for the selection process, but I never get chosen.

Gunny
02-19-2016, 01:22 PM
Same here. I really don't mind it. I've made it as far as the courtroom for the selection process, but I never get chosen.

When I was working, I couldn't stand it. Now that I'm not, I haven't been called. Just works that way.