PDA

View Full Version : For it before being against it - part 2

jimnyc
02-19-2016, 02:37 AM
Apparently in 2002, while on the Howard Stern show, Trump was asked if he was in favor of invading Iraq. His answer was "Yeah, I guess so". This is the opposite of what he has been declaring. He has stated he was the opposite of others and that he was always against the war. Then he was against it on the record in 2003 and 2004. But it will clearly and obviously go down as a flip flop. But will this harm him? And if so, how much?

-----

For months, Donald Trump has claimed that he opposed the Iraq War before the invasion began — as an example of his great judgment on foreign policy issues.

But in a 2002 interview with Howard Stern, Donald Trump said he supported an Iraq invasion.

In the interview, which took place on Sept. 11, 2002, Stern asked Trump directly if he was for invading Iraq.

“Yeah I guess so,” Trump responded. “I wish the first time it was done correctly.”

Trump has repeatedly claimed that he was against the Iraq War before it began, despite no evidence of him publicly stating this position. On Meet the Press, Trump said there weren’t many articles about his opposition because he wasn’t a politician at the time.

“Well, I did it in 2003, I said it before that,” Trump said of his opposition to invading Iraq. “Don’t forget, I wasn’t a politician. So people didn’t write everything I said. I was a businessperson. I was, as they say, a world-class businessperson. I built a great company, I employed thousands of people. So I’m not a politician. But if you look at 2003, there are articles. If you look in 2004, there are articles.”

Trump’s comments on Stern are more in line with what he wrote in his 2000 book, The America We Deserve, where he advocated for a “principled and tough” policy toward “outlaw” states like Iraq.

“We still don’t know what Iraq is up to or whether it has the material to build nuclear weapons. I’m no warmonger,” Trump wrote. “But the fact is, if we decide a strike against Iraq is necessary, it is madness not to carry the mission to its conclusion. When we don’t, we have the worst of all worlds: Iraq remains a threat, and now has more incentive than ever to attack us.”

“I could have said that,” Trump said. “Nobody asked me that. I wasn’t a politician. It was probably the first time anyone has asked me that question.”

Trump added, “When you’re in the private sector, you get asked things, and you’re not a politician, and probably the first time I was asked. By the time the war started, I was against it, and shortly thereafter, I was really against.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/in-2002-donald-trump-said-he-supported-invading-iraq-on-the#.hhPKB2MqG

Kathianne
02-19-2016, 07:59 AM
Trump said 2003/before was when his opposition began. By 2004 the press has found some opposition-but that is when Hillary too turned, along with other legions of liberals. Funny, seems these were the arguments that helped the old board grow, with fierce discussions from many of us defending the reasons, if not the execution of that war?

http://www.nytimes.com/live/republican-debate-election-2016-cleveland/in-fact-trump-opposed-iraq-war-but-after-it-started/

<article id="346-in-fact-trump-opposed-iraq-war-but-after-it-started-5335" class="post homepage publish referral auth-steveeder" data-item-guid="346-in-fact-trump-opposed-iraq-war-but-after-it-started-5335" data-index="56" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/NewsArticle" data-reactid=".0.2:0" style="overflow: hidden; clear: both; padding: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; font-size: 0.75rem; line-height: 1.125rem; font-family: nyt-franklin, NYTFranklinMedium-Regular, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 18px 0px; width: 674.2px; min-height: 45px; position: relative; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-image: url(&quot;http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/images/politics/elections/2016/steve.eder.jpg&quot;); background-attachment: initial; background-size: 45px 45px; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 0px 43px; background-repeat: no-repeat;"><section class="post-body" data-reactid=".0.2:0.2" style="margin-left: 65px; max-width: calc(550px); vertical-align: top;">In Fact | Donald Trump Opposed Iraq War — but After It Started (http://www.nytimes.com/live/republican-debate-election-2016-cleveland/in-fact-trump-opposed-iraq-war-but-after-it-started)Donald J. Trump took a moment to separate himself from his rivals by declaring that he had gone on the record with his opposition of the Iraq war some 11 years ago — in July 2004.

The claim, however, left out the reality that his opposition came well after the war was already underway. The war began in March 2003.

It was that next year that Mr. Trump spoke against the war, in interviews with Esquire and Larry King.

“I do not believe that we made the right decision going into Iraq, but, you know, hopefully, we’ll be getting out,” Trump said on “Larry King Live” in November 2004.

Still, the antiwar sentiment did not stop Mr. Trump from supporting George W. Bush during his 2004 re-election. He spoke of that support, in light of the Iraq war, during an interview with Bill O’Reilly.

“I voted for Bush because I think he’s got certain things that are excellent, including a tax policy that’s excellent and going to prove to be excellent,” Mr. Trump said. “But I am not a big fan of the war in Iraq, and I’ve let a lot of people know about it, and perhaps that’s being proven to be correct.”

</section></article>