PDA

View Full Version : MSM No Bias? Hardly

Kathianne
07-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Very interesting article, especially for those who were reading the brouhaha over at BBC this past week. Links at site:

http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/2007/07/the_media_ideol.html

The media ideology
Adriana Lukas (London) Media & Journalism

A marvellous article by Antony Jay in today's Daily Telegraph confirms what has been obvious for some time to anyone reading political blogs and pundits - the BBC is biased. And not only that, it has its own ideology that Antony Jay calls 'media liberal ideology'. His article analyses impact of technology, history and perspectives on individual and institutions that defined the BBC and with it the chattering classes. A must read as it provides a solid backbone to our rants against the BBC politics. Here are a few morsels that should give you a taste of the piece.

Of people working at the BBC and particularly on Newsnight, which he produced for several years.

...we were not just anti-Macmillan; we were anti-industry, anti-capitalism, anti-advertising, anti-selling, anti-profit, anti-patriotism, anti-monarchy, anti-Empire, anti-police, anti-armed forces, anti-bomb, anti-authority. Almost anything that made the world a freer, safer and more prosperous place, you name it, we were anti it.

I disagree with the final sentence of the following quote. There is never too much freedom or too much variety, nevertheless the distinction is brilliant. Saying that there is too much freedom is like saying that there are too many notes in Mozart's music... which ones would you like to remove? But I digress:

...there have always been two principal ways of misunderstanding a society: by looking down on it from above, and by looking up at it from below. In other words, by identifying with institutions or by identifying with individuals.

To look down on society from above, from the point of view of the ruling groups, the institutions, is to see the dangers of the organism splitting apart, the individual components shooting off in different directions, until everything dissolves into anarchy. Those who see society in this way are preoccupied with the need for order, discipline, control, authority and organisation.

To look up at society from below, from the point of view of the lowest group, the governed, is to see the dangers of the organism growing ever more rigid and oppressive until it fossilises into a monolithic tyranny. Those who see society in this way are preoccupied with the need for liberty, equality, self-expression, representation, freedom of speech and action and worship, and the rights of the individual. The reason for the popularity of these misunderstandings is that both views are correct, as far as they go, and both sets of dangers are real but there is no "right" point of view. The most you can ever say is that sometimes society is in danger from too much authority and uniformity and sometimes from too much freedom and variety.

A brutal description of the media elite's views and attitudes and how they got there:

The second factor which shaped our media liberal attitudes was a sense of exclusion. We saw ourselves as part of the intellectual élite, full of ideas about how the country should be run, and yet with no involvement in the process or power to do anything about it. Being naïve in the way institutions actually work, yet having good arts degrees from reputable universities, we were convinced that Britain's problems were the result of the stupidity of the people in charge. We ignored the tedious practicalities of getting institutions to adopt and implement ideas.

This ignorance of the realities of government and management enabled us to occupy the moral high ground. We saw ourselves as clever people in a stupid world, upright people in a corrupt world, compassionate people in a brutal world, libertarian people in an authoritarian world. We were not Marxists but accepted a lot of Marxist social analysis. Some people called us arrogant; looking back, I am afraid I cannot dispute the epithet.

And here he spells out their anti-market bias:

We also had an almost complete ignorance of market economics. That ignorance is still there. Say ''Tesco'' to a media liberal and the patellar reflex says, "Exploiting African farmers and driving out small shopkeepers". The achievement of providing the range of goods, the competitive prices, the food quality, the speed of service and the ease of parking that attract millions of shoppers every day does not show up on the media liberal radar.

It's an ideology!

For a time it puzzled me that after 50 years of tumultuous change the media liberal attitudes could remain almost identical to those I shared in the 1950s. Then it gradually dawned on me: my BBC media liberalism was not a political philosophy, even less a political programme. It was an ideology based not on observation and deduction but on faith and doctrine. We were rather weak on facts and figures, on causes and consequences, and shied away from arguments about practicalities. If defeated on one point we just retreated to another; we did not change our beliefs. We were, of course, believers in democracy. The trouble was that our understanding of it was structurally simplistic and politically naïve. It did not go much further than one-adult-one-vote.

We ignored the whole truth, namely that modern Western civilisation stands on four pillars, and elected governments is only one of them. Equally important is the rule of law. The other two are economic: the right to own private property and the right to buy and sell your property, goods, services and labour. (Freedom of speech, worship, and association derive from them; with an elected government and the rule of law a nation can choose how much it wants of each). We never got this far with our analysis. The two economic freedoms led straight to the heresy of free enterprise capitalism - and yet without them any meaningful freedom is impossible.

But analysis was irrelevant to us. Ultimately, it was not a question of whether a policy worked but whether it was right or wrong when judged by our media liberal moral standards. There was no argument about whether, say, capital punishment worked. If retentionists came up with statistics showing that abolition increased the number of murders we simply rejected them.

And the damning conclusion:

It is not so much that their ideas and arguments are harebrained and impracticable: some of their causes are in fact admirable. The trouble - you might even say the tragedy - is that their implementation by governments eager for media approval has progressively damaged our institutions. Media liberal pressure has prompted a stream of laws, regulations and directives to champion the criminal against the police, the child against the school, the patient against the hospital, the employee against the company, the soldier against the army, the borrower against the bank, the convict against the prison - there is a new case in the papers almost every day, and each victory is a small erosion of the efficiency and effectiveness of the institution.

I can now see that my old BBC media liberalism was not a basis for government. It was an ideology of opposition, valuable for restraining the excesses of institutions and campaigning against the abuses of authority but it was not a way of actually running anything. It serves a vital function when government is dictatorial and oppressive, but when government is ineffective and over-permissive it is hopelessly inappropriate.

I can't deny that my perceptions have come through the experience of leaving the BBC. Suppose I had stayed. Would I have remained a devotee of the metropolitan media liberal ideology that I once absorbed so readily? I have an awful fear that the answer is yes.

I may not agree with everything Antony Jay says and believes but that does not detract from the value of his, well, confession. Aptly, the article is an abridged extract from 'Confessions of a Reformed BBC Producer' to be published tomorrow by CPS.

Psychoblues
07-16-2007, 02:47 AM
I saved this one from dropping off the front page, kitty.

Very interesting article, especially for those who were reading the brouhaha over at BBC this past week. Links at site:

http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/2007/07/the_media_ideol.html

MSM liberal bias my ass!!!!!!!!!!!!! You owe me, kitty.

nevadamedic
07-16-2007, 02:54 AM
Everyone know's the MSM is partial to Liberal's.

Psychoblues
07-16-2007, 03:05 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

Everyone know's the MSM is partial to Liberal's.

Other than silly quotes from FauxNews and Wolf Blitzer on CNN can you quote any actual credible source for that purely biased piece of shit remark of yours? And you don't have to remind me of Glen Beck from CNN, OK?

nevadamedic
07-16-2007, 03:10 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

Other than silly quotes from FauxNews and Wolf Blitzer on CNN can you quote any actual credible source for that purely biased piece of shit remark of yours? And you don't have to remind me of Glen Beck from CNN, OK?

There's to much to link. Just about every damn MSM source is Liberal.

Psychoblues
07-16-2007, 03:21 AM
OK. Just link part of it.

There's to much to link. Just about every damn MSM source is Liberal.

You CONservatives are so damn lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nevadamedic
07-16-2007, 03:35 AM
OK. Just link part of it.

You CONservatives are so damn lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113485/

http://chucksopinion.com/blog/category/media/main-stream-media/

http://www.exposetheleft.com/2006/05/29/hugh-hewitt-rs/

http://wonkette.com/politics/main-stream-media/?view=full

Enjoy.

Psychoblues
07-16-2007, 03:41 AM
OK, I've enjoyed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113485/

http://chucksopinion.com/blog/category/media/main-stream-media/

http://www.exposetheleft.com/2006/05/29/hugh-hewitt-rs/

http://wonkette.com/politics/main-stream-media/?view=full

Enjoy.

What the f**k is your dumb ass talking about?

nevadamedic
07-16-2007, 03:42 AM
OK, I've enjoyed.

What the f**k is your dumb ass talking about?

Sober up a little bit before you come on here so you can follow a conversation.