PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap I may have changed his politics

glockmail
02-23-2016, 11:29 AM
This is about my buddy Roger. We are on a local ski league together. Apparently I have the reputation of being a right-wing extremist in this particular group of people. But, most whom I discuss politics with in this group are as far right as I am.

Roger is a transplanted Left coaster. He spent much of his early career in France, where he met his wife. Both their sons were born there. He has stayed at my mountain cabin for one weekend a year for the last three, and we talk politics on friendly terms.

The first year we had these friendly discussions Roger stated that he grew up liberal and "therefore" is liberal, and when pressed didn't have a lot of desire to defend his position. The second year he was better prepared and used the term "agree to disagree" a lot. I told him that was just a cop-out. :laugh:

This year his oldest son, 15, was with us and he's fairly inquisitive. Roger, therefore, now has to explain his positions not to me but to his son. I jokingly asked Roger "are you feeling the Bern"? and he replied that Sanders 'has a lot of good ideas'. I asked him to specify one. He mentioned "free" health care with no real specifics on Sander's position.

I explained to Roger again my concept of conservatism, but with very simple terms; limited federal government, local control to maximize freedom. With regards to health care specifically, I have no problem with some group of like-minded people forming their own health care group. The more "local" the controllers of this group were, the better. A local private organization would be prefered over a municipal group. A municipal organization preferable over a county organization. A County more preferable then a state. A state more preferable than a country. I gave the example of Massachusetts, with their state-run system, and how they liked it, but the people of Texas would not. Massachusens are far different than Texans, and we Carolinians are different from both. So if you love freedom, you cannot possibly support a national health care system or any other form of huge federal government.

His reply was weak. "What if a Texan needs government health care?" I explained that I left Massachusetts in my 20's, then NY in my 30's, because I didn't like their policies. I love NC because of the politics here. I voted with my feet, so as long as his theoretical Texan has feet, he has the ability to do as I did. Once you nationalize a program like that, no one has the ability to escape from it.

That night we all turned in early. Lots of skiing and activity during the day made us all sleepy and tired. Roger and his son made their way down to the bunk room and apparently they had some interesting discussions.

The next day Roger confided to me that he had thought about my position "at length", and appreciated it. I asked him if he was Cruzin' or Bernin' now. He said that "I can see your point..."

Perianne
02-23-2016, 11:36 AM
glockmail. Good job!

revelarts
02-23-2016, 01:26 PM
This is about my buddy Roger. We are on a local ski league together. Apparently I have the reputation of being a right-wing extremist in this particular group of people. But, most whom I discuss politics with in this group are as far right as I am.

Roger is a transplanted Left coaster. He spent much of his early career in France, where he met his wife. Both their sons were born there. He has stayed at my mountain cabin for one weekend a year for the last three, and we talk politics on friendly terms.

The first year we had these friendly discussions Roger stated that he grew up liberal and "therefore" is liberal, and when pressed didn't have a lot of desire to defend his position. The second year he was better prepared and used the term "agree to disagree" a lot. I told him that was just a cop-out. :laugh:

This year his oldest son, 15, was with us and he's fairly inquisitive. Roger, therefore, now has to explain his positions not to me but to his son. I jokingly asked Roger "are you feeling the Bern"? and he replied that Sanders 'has a lot of good ideas'. I asked him to specify one. He mentioned "free" health care with no real specifics on Sander's position.

I explained to Roger again my concept of conservatism, but with very simple terms; limited federal government, local control to maximize freedom. With regards to health care specifically, I have no problem with some group of like-minded people forming their own health care group. The more "local" the controllers of this group were, the better. A local private organization would be prefered over a municipal group. A municipal organization preferable over a county organization. A County more preferable then a state. A state more preferable than a country. I gave the example of Massachusetts, with their state-run system, and how they liked it, but the people of Texas would not. Massachusens are far different than Texans, and we Carolinians are different from both. So if you love freedom, you cannot possibly support a national health care system or any other form of huge federal government.

His reply was weak. "What if a Texan needs government health care?" I explained that I left Massachusetts in my 20's, then NY in my 30's, because I didn't like their policies. I love NC because of the politics here. I voted with my feet, so as long as his theoretical Texan has feet, he has the ability to do as I did. Once you nationalize a program like that, no one has the ability to escape from it.

That night we all turned in early. Lots of skiing and activity during the day made us all sleepy and tired. Roger and his son made their way down to the bunk room and apparently they had some interesting discussions.

The next day Roger confided to me that he had thought about my position "at length", and appreciated it. I asked him if he was Cruzin' or Bernin' now. He said that "I can see your point..."

"I explained to Roger again my concept of conservatism, but with very simple terms; limited federal government, local control to maximize freedom. With regards to health care specifically, I have no problem with some group of like-minded people forming their own health care group. The more "local" the controllers of this group were, the better. A local private organization would be prefered over a municipal group. A municipal organization preferable over a county organization. A County more preferable then a state. A state more preferable than a country."

that's a great way to explain it. I'm glad you had someone who took the time to listen. We all should be as gracious.

But i have to ask. which one of the republican candidates has a real plan for removing obamacare?
And which ones in congress or other official positions have done much to stop or slow it so far?

And which republican presidents and congresses in the last 50 years have actually ACTED constantly on the aspects of the form of conservatism that you've outlined?

the aspects of conservatism you describe i agree with 100%. I just wonder how much the republican party actually agrees with it.. in much more than lip service.

glockmail
02-23-2016, 02:13 PM
"I explained to Roger again my concept of conservatism, but with very simple terms; limited federal government, local control to maximize freedom. With regards to health care specifically, I have no problem with some group of like-minded people forming their own health care group. The more "local" the controllers of this group were, the better. A local private organization would be prefered over a municipal group. A municipal organization preferable over a county organization. A County more preferable then a state. A state more preferable than a country."

that's a great way to explain it. I'm glad you had someone who took the time to listen. We all should be as gracious.

But i have to ask. which one of the republican candidates has a real plan for removing obamacare?
And which ones in congress or other official positions have done much to stop or slow it so far?

And which republican presidents and congresses in the last 50 years have actually ACTED constantly on the aspects of the form of conservatism that you've outlined?

the aspects of conservatism you describe i agree with 100%. I just wonder how much the republican party actually agrees with it.. in much more than lip service.

I wasn't selling the GOP, I was selling conservatism. Out of the current field of presidential candidates, Ted Cruz is the most solid conservative. His plan to replace ObamaCare is outlined here: http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/03/27/cruz-lays-out-his-obamacare-replacement-plan/

indago
02-23-2016, 03:11 PM

Well, it was YOUR cabin, so why not humor you. It's called SUCKING UP!